Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

One build quality note about the classic. Unless they did a very good job at faking it, the bezel ring is metal now instead of plastic like it was on the Watch 3.
lolwat?

It's metal on the original Galaxy Watch 46mm. They cheaped out on it for a generation? Samsung'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the rotating ring was black plastic on even the silver Watch 3. I kinda dug the two toned look, but the Watch 4 is nicer overall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, because this is a Galaxy Watch on top of being a Wear watch, Samsung's remote connectivity works on it.

So, I can turn off Bluetooth on my phone, even drop my phone off wifi, and if my watch has wifi it remains connected and able to send and receive notifications.

So, I can go out of range of my phone and as long as my watch has wifi, I can continue using it as normal (including launching messages and sending and receiving texts.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Doesn't wear for that? I know I've left my phone at home and been able to text on my watch from work

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Huh, looks like it's supposed to, I guess I've had bad luck getting past watches to fail back to wifi.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm planning on getting the 4 once the Flip 3 gets here and I can activate that pre order bonus in the Samsung store.

How useful is the LTE? I was leaning against it until these most recent posts. If it means I can ditch the phone while running/walking and be able to respond to messages on say Whatsapp, I'm quite interested. Ditto Spotify streaming without the phone.

I'm using Google Fi, are there any limitations there? In terms of the watches eSIM being supported by Fi, I mean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't seen any reviews around LTE functionality specifically so I'm honestly not sure. I've never been able to stomach paying extra for just watch connectivity.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, it does look like WearOS 3.0 leaves 1.0 watchfaces (the ones that you can't install directly to a watch) behind. I have a few installed on my phone and they aren't syncing automatically to the watch and they aren't showing up in "Apps on my phone".

Also, Wear 2.0 watchfaces can't be customized via the phone, not that they could on Wear 2.0 either unless they had a companion app that did it. The new watchfaces that are included with the phone can be customized via the Galaxy Wearable app. It remains to be seen if this is a Samsung thing or will it eventually extend to 3rd party faces.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 27, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Len posted:

Doesn't wear for that? I know I've left my phone at home and been able to text on my watch from work
Can confirm, I have occasionally received messages on my HWatch while my phone had a dead battery, presumably because I happened to pass by a business where I had their WiFi info saved.

I think they only come through for watch apps if the phone is offline, like I'll get calendar notifications but not Slack.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 27, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, if your phone is offline, the only stuff you'll be able to do is stuff that has a native app.

But I swear I was never able to really get remote connectivity working well on past wear devices, but maybe it was just me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I haven't seen any reviews around LTE functionality specifically so I'm honestly not sure. I've never been able to stomach paying extra for just watch connectivity.

But having 4-5 $1k phones :D

Totally agreed though, doesn't seem worth paying anything, either monthly or for the hardware

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You guys convinced me to cancel and re-order a non lte model lol. If I kept my original order I would've had it by now. Now I have to wait until October :doh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I mean, it's just that I would never use the functionality. My phone is always with me.

Got the normal Watch 4 delivered today after the classic was delivered yesterday. I do like the design of the 4 much better than the Active 2 it's replacing. The squared off sides and flat glass helps make it not look as small on my wrist as the Active 2 always was.

It's nice too that the two different versions have a very different fashion impression with the Classic being dressier, but the watches do look like they come from a similar design lineage.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bull3964 posted:

Well, I mean, it's just that I would never use the functionality. My phone is always with me.

Same. I am sure there are people who would get use out of having the LTE model but I've always got my phone and it's almost never out of juice so it's cool but super unnecessary for me.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bull3964 posted:

Got my classic today, still setting things up but so far pretty nice.

Screen is certainly noticably better than the Watch 3.

In what way(s)?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

seravid posted:

In what way(s)?

Sharper. It's higher resolution. 450x450 vs 360x360 makes a pretty big difference at this size. It makes a big difference on smaller text

Watch 3

Watch 4

Notice how much more aliasing there is on the Date Weather and Steps headers (especially the W in weather).

Less screen door effect in general makes solid colors more pleasant to use and make them look more like real watch faces.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Quantified Scientist on Youtube preordered one of these as well. Probably gonna take at least a month until he has enough data to see whether they managed to make the sensors more reliable. I hope he has the means to crosscheck the BMI sensor.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Will the new 4 series do any different speed of charging depending on the brick you use?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

bull3964 posted:

Sharper. It's higher resolution. 450x450 vs 360x360 makes a pretty big difference at this size. It makes a big difference on smaller text

Nice, definitely a welcomed upgrade. You have the 46mm, right? According to the specs, the case is actually a little smaller than the 45mm Watch 3, can you confirm this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have both the 46mm classic and the 44mm regular.

Looking at the Watch 4 Classic, the only thing that looks smaller about it when looking at them side by side is the lugs are a bit shorter.

The exact opposite is true when comparing the Watch 4 and the Active 2. The lugs on the watch 4 are longer which I think helps it immensely in not looking too small on my wrist (along with the flat display and squared sides).

The bodies of both seem almost exactly the same size of their predecessors otherwise.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Got my Watch4 Classic today. Seems like a nice upgrade from my Fossil Q Explorist 3 that was hanging on by its fingernails. Here it is with the Pixel Minimal Watch Face and a strap from Clockwork Synergy:

All the apps from my old watch are installing just fine, and the display looks much nicer.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are you a small person or is the watch several acres in diameter

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Yes, I have super skinny wrists. That's the smaller version of the watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wtf, I thought for sure you must have opted for the larger one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the spectrum, this is what the 46mm looks on my wrist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ohh yis its size comparison time again.

Here's a crusty rear end OG 46mm on my wrist, which is a bit more chunky than the new one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ticwatch pro 3 on my fat wrist

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If, for some reason, you are wanting to buy a Wear 2.0 device at full price, Gen 6 is up for pre-order.

https://www.fossil.com/en-us/products/gen-6-smartwatch-smoke-stainless-steel/FTW4059V.html

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Looks like the Gen5 with a 4100+ and a SpO2 monitor.
Its always been real easy to get the fossils at like half off, which makes them much better values.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not going to lie, if I could trade in my Gen 5 and get half off the Gen 6, I probably would for shits and giggles. Too bad they don't do trade in programs (which, they might as well for how often they RMA them over charging rings.)

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I picked up two 40mm galaxy watch 4, for myself and the Mrs. So far, seems like a nice device. This is my first smartwatch, and it has worked exactly as I expect. With the exception of having to install the modded APK in order to get blood pressure monitoring on my Pixel 4a

One question I have is, where do y'all go to get new watch faces? Facer's store is full of ungodly busy messes, but it's the only place I know to look.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Pujie Black is my preferred watch face app.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Pujie Black is my preferred watch face app.

Same. Nice to have that back after the active 2.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I prefer to stay away from the watchface stores and just get a watchface directly from the store without downloading another whole store. Facer has some great ones but really devours battery

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaeljosh/status/1432383009483788294

pretty impressive

hopefully the pixel watch is real and just not yet finalized while google sees how this latest one is received

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's neat. Needs more data points from other reviewers, ideally with different body shapes and such.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn I wish mine wasn't delayed until friggin October, I already gave up wearing my Amazfit lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In my own anecdotal testing, the body composition stuff has been giving consistent results for me (and this is testing against two different watches, a Watch 4 and Watch 4 Classic along with multiple different bands.) I obviously don't have an external tool to test with, but it's good that they aren't going all over the place with results.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Combat Pretzel posted:

That's neat. Needs more data points from other reviewers, ideally with different body shapes and such.

yea it's an impressive single data point but that dude is fuckin tiny, like 5'4 117lbs, not exactly the typical :911: male

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

It's tragic but understandable that faces can't access the hardware of the Classic 4. Otherwise I am a happy customer.