Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If anyone wants more LeVar in their life I can't recommend Season 2 Episode 1 of Reading Rainbow highly enough: LeVar in prime 1986 shape showing off 1986 New York City at night.

It's free on prime and hits all the nostalgia buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

I saw an article I think on Variety where they interviewed Friedman and he said he 100% definitely was not pushed out at all and that the execs at Sony actually tried really hard to keep him on.

But no, he started after Alex was diagnosed.

Also, while I have no proof of this, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the long-term staffers leaving the show had little to do with Alex and everything to do with Richards. Especially given Glenn's lawsuit against Sony for age discrimination.

I think that was the Vulture article linked here a couple pages back, since I remember reading it there.

But yeah, Glenn getting forced out (probably by Richards) was definitely a dick move.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a while back itt i muttered something about pat kiernan and how i'd like to see him give it a swing.

nope, turns out he's an rear end in a top hat, too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't aware calling an actor by their most well known role when we're discussing a TV show is misogyny. I mean the only reason they seem to have wanted her so bad was her role on the nerd show.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 27, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for those of you looking for hot takes, arthur chu has an editorial in wapo, emphasis mine:

quote:

The disruption of rotating hosts was jarring enough for a show built on dependability, but the whole celebrity concept betrayed the secret of how “Jeopardy!” captivated us: the fantasy that you or I or anyone else could be the one in the spotlight. Anyone who’s good enough at trivia, even a schlubby nerd from Ohio, could get their turn to write the story of the show. During my streak, there was no question I was the main character, even if it was as the “villain.” Today, Matt Amodio is an 18-day champion and the third-winningest regular-season contestant in “Jeopardy!” history, but his story has taken a backseat to the drama on the host’s side of the stage.

[...] After the last year we’ve had — after the past five years we’ve had — is it too much to ask that just one beloved American institution not be sabotaged by shortsightedness and ego? In the world of television (and everything else), can we not have one safe space where the expectations stay consistent, everyone does their job and the little people get a chance to shine?

There can still be a place for “Jeopardy!,” so long as it centers on the contestants again, and on its own reliability. It just needs some help getting back there. So let me pass on what one child said to me back when I was playing the villain, a message that might be useful to Richards, or to interloping celebrities, or to anyone else who would steal the spotlight or shake up the show: “Why can’t you just do something else, and leave ‘Jeopardy!’ alone?”

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't aware calling an actor by their most well known role when we're discussing a TV show is misogyny. I mean the only reason they seem to have wanted her so bad was her role on the nerd show.

Island Nation posted:

I've referred to her as Blossom since I haven't quite gotten the spelling of Bialik down fully. Yes, I'm aware it's shorter. I don't want her on the show not because she's a woman but because I don't think she was the best candidate as my written diarrhea known as posts have made clear.

As for Mike, it's just amusing he has the same name as the actor who played Kramer. I don't think he was the best candidate either so he can stay behind the scenes unless he's negatively impacted the show which he seems to have done directly & indirectly. I have no knowledge whatsoever either about the show's production or in general.

I haven't thought of it in terms of misogyny since my gonads would be quickly separated from my body if it was (and to make clear, I am not a misogynist) but if that's the look it gives off then I'll stop. They are Dr. Bialik and Mr. Richards, not Blossom and Kramer.

So, for the record I don't think anyone in this thread is doing it as intentional misogyny. But it is a part of internalized misogyny, which is why I'm asking those of you doing it to please stop, because yeah, that is where it comes from.

The problem is, you're only calling the female actor by one of her most well-known roles. No one is in this thread calling LeVar Burton "Geordi". And as for her name being a little bit different to what you're used to? If you can figure out how to spell George Strombopolous, you can figure out Mayim Bialik, too. Hell, I'm sure I've spelled her name wrong in this very thread, probably multiple times. But I've at least put the effort in to call her by her real name, and not by the name of a character she played on a TV show, because she is a real person, with a real name and really lovely opinions.

By all means, call her out on those lovely opinions. She is an awful person. But do it by referring to her properly, by her name, as you do with every male candidate for this role. And if you're still reading this going "yeah, but I do that to men, too", ask yourself if you have typed the word "Oz" more than you have the word "Bialik". Then maybe ask yourself why that is. Because they're both lovely people. So why does only one of them deserve to be referred to by their actual name?

Do it if only so that the people reading your opinions don't ask themselves "hey, is this person partly opposed to her because of her gender, on a show in a part of society that has historically and currently has a lot of issues with women and people of colour being treated properly?" But also, do it because it's the right thing to do, because internalized misogyny is a very real thing, and referring to women by fictional characters they played on TV a long time ago is absolutely a part of that.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 27, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also Arthur Chu is totally right.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

HookShot posted:

So, for the record I don't think anyone in this thread is doing it as intentional misogyny. But it is a part of internalized misogyny, which is why I'm asking those of you doing it to please stop, because yeah, that is where it comes from.

The problem is, you're only calling the female actor by one of her most well-known roles. No one is in this thread calling LeVar Burton "Geordi". And as for her name being a little bit different to what you're used to? If you can figure out how to spell George Strombopolous, you can figure out Mayim Bialik, too. Hell, I'm sure I've spelled her name wrong in this very thread, probably multiple times. But I've at least put the effort in to call her by her real name, and not by the name of a character she played on a TV show, because she is a real person, with a real name and really lovely opinions.

By all means, call her out on those lovely opinions. She is an awful person. But do it by referring to her properly, by her name, as you do with every male candidate for this role. And if you're still reading this going "yeah, but I do that to men, too", ask yourself if you have typed the word "Oz" more than you have the word "Bialik". Then maybe ask yourself why that is. Because they're both lovely people. So why does only one of them deserve to be referred to by their actual name?

Do it if only so that the people reading your opinions don't ask themselves "hey, is this person partly opposed to her because of her gender, on a show in a part of society that has historically and currently has a lot of issues with women and people of colour being treated properly?" But also, do it because it's the right thing to do, because internalized misogyny is a very real thing, and referring to women by fictional characters they played on TV a long time ago is absolutely a part of that.

This is exhausting

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This is exhausting

I'm sorry it's so hard for you, as a man, to refer to women by their real names.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm sorry it's so hard for you, as a man, to refer to women by their real names.

I've never referred to her at all, actually

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HookShot posted:

The problem is, you're only calling the female actor by one of her most well-known roles. No one is in this thread calling LeVar Burton "Geordi".

If someone dismissively called Burton "Georgi" it'd be racist because for a lot of people (and the reason he had such a groundswell of support) he's the host of Reading Rainbow.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

If someone dismissively called Burton "Georgi" it'd be racist because for a lot of people (and the reason he had such a groundswell of support) he's the host of Reading Rainbow.
Yes, it would be, regardless of the Reading Rainbow hosting job (although I can certainly see people doing it to be extra racist because of that). And it's misogynistic to do the same to Bialik for exactly the same reasons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How'd that go over your head

Burton would've never got the gig if he'd only been on Star Trek.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

maybe I'm going insane here but I don't feel its racist or sexist to offhandedly refer to an actor as the name of a character they played

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Puppy Galaxy posted:

maybe I'm going insane here but I don't feel its racist or sexist to offhandedly refer to an actor as the name of a character they played

HookShot would be right that it'd be sexist to go "They went all in on Blossom?" if Bialik had hosted a beloved educational program and was as equally (or more) well known for that. But they went all in on her because she was a character on the terrible nerd sitcom so I would say "christ they went all in on [that character]?" except I don't know that character's name.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It is when you're only doing it to a person of a certain gender (or race, but in this case it's only happening to someone of a certain gender). It's not overtly racist or sexist but it's rooted in that, in the idea that you can refer to this person by another name that isn't theirs, therefore reducing them to a character they played instead of a real person.

Groovelord Neato posted:

How'd that go over your head

Burton would've never got the gig if he'd only been on Star Trek.

No. He wouldn't have. But that's not my point, my point is no one in this thread is calling him by the character name he famously portrayed, they're all using his real name.

Or use Dr. Oz, if you want to go for another lovely person no one likes. Everyone is still using his real name when referring to him. I know he's not an actor, but it's not like people are going around simply calling him "Fake Doctor" or "that talk show host".

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I know he's not an actor, but it's not like people are going around simply calling him "Fake Doctor" or "that talk show host".

I put quotations around "Dr." every time I've referred to him in this thread :colbert:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
All of you who are choosing to die on the hill of wanting to call Bialik "Blossom" need to take some of her brain pills.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Yeah just because it's not necessarily happening with LeVar Burton doesn't really mean much. It's hard to define exactly why we associate some actors with a specific character and some we don't. But it's a super common phenomenon that doesn't seem to favor any gender or race.

Like if we were talking about Brent Spiner hosting, people would definitely be calling him Data about half the time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I put quotations around "Dr." every time I've referred to him in this thread :colbert:

I'd call him Mehmet but then nobody would know who I was talking about.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
her character on bang bang theory is dr. fowler.

and she certainly is a fowler.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah just because it's not necessarily happening with LeVar Burton doesn't really mean much. It's hard to define exactly why we associate some actors with a specific character and some we don't. But it's a super common phenomenon that doesn't seem to favor any gender or race.

Like if we were talking about Brent Spiner hosting, people would definitely be calling him Data about half the time.

I don't think so. He's very very very different than Data. If you've ever seen Brent Spiner, you'd know. He's kind of a lot.

With Mayim Bialik, people just aren't willing to learn her name for some reason. So they default on what's easy.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 27, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
like at the very least can we just take hookshot's word for it? even if you don't agree the argument, it bothers a regular poster in the thread and we could just not do it? this doesn't have to be a dig-your-heels-in-and-fight-against-wokeness moment?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"shithead" is a handy placeholder, because people can usually figure out who you're talking about from the context without having to actually remember anybody's name.

e.g. "that shithead with popeye doyle as his custom title"

HookShot posted:

Also Arthur Chu is totally right.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

like at the very least can we just take hookshot's word for it? even if you don't agree the argument, it bothers a regular poster in the thread and we could just not do it? this doesn't have to be a dig-your-heels-in-and-fight-against-wokeness moment?

All of these men trying to explain how this isn't really misogyny and I, a woman, have no idea what I'm talking about is truly a perfect representation of the trivia world at large.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Spokes posted:

Nobody's fighting against wokeness lol. You were fine until then.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Then you could have just let it go. :shrug:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

It's not, at all. Nor is is sexist. At all. Zero percent.

It's implicitly derisive by inexorably linking someone's career to their personal identity, thus devaluating said personal identity by implying that their career roles represent all (or most) of their worth as a human.

Doing so can be racially or misogynistically charged, but it is not inherently so.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zesty posted:

Then you could have just let it go. :shrug:

Replying to the wrong person here.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No, I'm talking to you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zesty posted:

No, I'm talking to you.

Yes that's why I was correcting you.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It honestly hadn't occurred to me that calling Bialik Blossom was sexist but it's not that big a deal to not do that. Some of you are really getting bent out of shape for no reason.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CUba9jLss

harkening back to when the worst thing associated with jeopardy was their attempt to shoehorn a bonus round in place of final jeopardy.

also, somebody uploaded the first j! pilot with alex trebek with a decent, non-potato bitrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhGbylDYiMc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CUba9jLss

harkening back to when the worst thing associated with jeopardy was their attempt to shoehorn a bonus round in place of final jeopardy.

This is my first time seeing the pre-Trebeck version lol

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That final is dire.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i also wanted to draw attention to one of the german versions of jeopardy, if only for the ridiculous bullshit they go through to keep players' eyes on their own screen during final jeopardy.

EDIT: well, poo poo, that wasn't the whole episode -- basically, they made 'em wear horse collars with some long blinders on 'em.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 27, 2021

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

HookShot posted:

You're right. I should've been calling her Dr. Bialik from the start. Not Blossom, not Amy Farrah-Fowler, just her real life name and title. Same with Mike Richards.
Also with George Stephanopoulos who hosts Good Morning America, This Week and former Jeopardy! guest host and not say as a joke regarding Greek surnames George Stroumboulopoulos, the Apple/CBC radio DJ and one time anchor of Hockey Night in Canada. Neither name I can spell offhand without consulting Wikipedia which is what I should have done with Dr. Bialik.

What we say here should be who we are in real life away from keyboards and screens, not as a persona that people can take seriously as it can get us in trouble quickly. Vonnegut wrote as such in Mother Night and it applies to the Internet to a much greater extent. I will never be on Jeopardy! and I'm OK with that but if I had been, I would not refer to the host by their past but their present.

If I've upset you or anyone else with my flippant posts, I am sorry. I'll be more serious about the topic at hand.

In related news, Ken Jennings' tweets might have cost him the job. It's the Wall Street Journal so take it as it is.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-jeopardy-host-succession-plan-went-sideways-11630065609

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is my first time seeing the pre-Trebeck version lol

admittedly that's a very poor starting place. here, have the 2000th episode from the original run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6B8epOBYic

aw, hell, have a nighttime syndicated episode while i'm at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyWD9QpFME

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 27, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This is the Mike Richards of game show threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Island Nation posted:

In related news, Ken Jennings' tweets might have cost him the job. It's the Wall Street Journal so take it as it is.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-jeopardy-host-succession-plan-went-sideways-11630065609

Can't read the whole thing because it's impossible to read print media anymore but it seems to open with the position that what has come out as ratings stunts were a tryout.