Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Are the jackets the X-Men's fault? I mostly remember reading Spider-Man and X-Men books back then, with some Fantastic Four thrown in here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fezz posted:

Are the jackets the X-Men's fault? I mostly remember reading Spider-Man and X-Men books back then, with some Fantastic Four thrown in here and there.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/the-decade-every-super-hero-got-a-jacket-for-some-reason

I mean the jacket era was kinda lame for most of them, but at least it wasn't The Crossing. Yeesh.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I'm partial to jackets on tights because of Rogue but I also like Trenchcoats on tights which continues to this day.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It wouldn’t be so bad if they matched their costumes, or were at least interesting, but it’s just too small brown jackets on top of individual costumes :psyduck:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The thing that weirds me out about that era is less the jackets and more the membership. That was the Avengers lineup when I was first getting into comics so mentally they are always "The team that Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor are supposed to be on, but usually there are a bunch of scrublords on the roster instead" to me.

It's been like nearly 40 years and I couldn't tell you what Crystal's powers are. I think Sersi has purple energy stuff, or I may be confusing her with energy form Wonder Man. And that was back when Hercules was essentially Worse Thor.

at least dr. druid was gone by then

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the problem with Spider-Man in general is that we expect him to be a quip machine like in comics, but in comics (and cartoons) talking is a free action where characters can easily spout off multiple sentence in one panel or have thought balloons (or inner monologues in cartoons) to help get inside characters' heads, but that's a lot tougher to make work in live-action.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 27, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

The thing that weirds me out about that era is less the jackets and more the membership. That was the Avengers lineup when I was first getting into comics so mentally they are always "The team that Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor are supposed to be on, but usually there are a bunch of scrublords on the roster instead" to me.

It's been like nearly 40 years and I couldn't tell you what Crystal's powers are. I think Sersi has purple energy stuff, or I may be confusing her with energy form Wonder Man. And that was back when Hercules was essentially Worse Thor.

Crystal has elemental powers. She’s basically like the Avatar from that cartoon. Sersi has a bunch of different powers like most Eternals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/the-decade-every-super-hero-got-a-jacket-for-some-reason

I mean the jacket era was kinda lame for most of them, but at least it wasn't The Crossing. Yeesh.

In his very good Image book Dynamo 5 Jay Faeber would go on about his comic influences and he made the Jacket Avengers sound like the coolest thing ever and when I finally went to read it I never felt so betrayed. He talked up the interpersonal drama, particularly the Black Knight/Sersi/Crystal love triangle but it's honestly barely a thing. It's extremely an example of the low point of Marvel in the 90's.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Some random musings about No Way Home's teaser, but I remember people saying that they think Dr. Strange is attacking Peter in the train scene.

But then I realized that's probably not the case. I'm pretty sure they deleted something (or someones) in that scene, it doesn't make any sense for Strange to fight against Peter. (also I hate the Mephisto is Strange theory and I'm gonna be livid if they do that).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I think the problem with Spider-Man in general is that we expect him to be a quip machine like in comics, but in comics (and cartoons) talking is a free action where characters can easily spout off multiple sentence in one panel or have thought balloons (or inner monologues in cartoons) to help get inside characters' heads, but that's a lot tougher to make work in live-action.

This has been a talking point since the first movie and while you can't fit three word balloons of material in between each punch I don't know if people are truly asking for that many jokes. And it's not like a totally novel concept to have a character joke a lot in movies. RDJ didn't talk like the Micro Machines guy but Tony Stark was still a quip machine and basically ended up filling a lot of Spider-Man's role in the Avengers movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

That Strange jacket is amazing and now I really want to see Cumberbatch wear it in Multiverse of Madness.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Decided since it was leaving in a few days to bite the bullet and get a month of HBO Max for The Suicide Squad. Good movie. I thought I'd accidentally seen a spoiler, but I guess what little I'd read got jumbled in my brain since I was dreading a death that never came. Also, I kinda want a Weasel horror-comedy. He certainly made an impression.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

OnimaruXLR posted:

The period where I started reading, I was also just into the X-Men with the occasional bit of Spidey now and then. Whenever I'd dip my toe into the Avengers, they were always kind of second string - no Cap, Tony and Clint off on the west coast, Thor off in space or dealing with his own metal van poo poo, Vis & Wanda retired, etc. The only mainstay back then was Jan and even she took a break. Avengers 300 basically summed up the whole period for me, just a load of randos for any given month, I was used to the Avengers being kinda lame.

Suffice to say, the way things have turned around for them in the last 20 years will never quite stop feeling a bit odd to me.

catlord posted:

Decided since it was leaving in a few days to bite the bullet and get a month of HBO Max for The Suicide Squad. Good movie. I thought I'd accidentally seen a spoiler, but I guess what little I'd read got jumbled in my brain since I was dreading a death that never came. Also, I kinda want a Weasel horror-comedy. He certainly made an impression.

Was it **** Ratcatcher ****? 'cause that happened to me too, I spent the whole movie bummed out because I loved them immediately from their intro scene and was dreading the 'inevitable'.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That Strange jacket is amazing and now I really want to see Cumberbatch wear it in Multiverse of Madness.

I want to see him in the blue mask.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

Some random musings about No Way Home's teaser, but I remember people saying that they think Dr. Strange is attacking Peter in the train scene.

But then I realized that's probably not the case. I'm pretty sure they deleted something (or someones) in that scene, it doesn't make any sense for Strange to fight against Peter. (also I hate the Mephisto is Strange theory and I'm gonna be livid if they do that).

I figured the situation was Strange needs Peter to try to repair things, but Peter is resisting because of whatever plot driving reason.

Lobok posted:

This has been a talking point since the first movie and while you can't fit three word balloons of material in between each punch I don't know if people are truly asking for that many jokes. And it's not like a totally novel concept to have a character joke a lot in movies. RDJ didn't talk like the Micro Machines guy but Tony Stark was still a quip machine and basically ended up filling a lot of Spider-Man's role in the Avengers movies.

But it has been done. They did it successfully in Civil War.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Aphrodite posted:

The main thing so far in the MCU is that most of what people think of as Spidey's quips in the comics are little insults and verbal jabs he throws at his enemies to goad them into recklessness/cover his own insecurities while he fights, but in the MCU Spidey has spent relatively little screen time fighting supervillains directly; he was either fighting other heroes that he was star-struck by (Civil War), or nonspeaking CGI foes (Far From Home, Infinity War, Endgame) or was dealing with disasters (Homecoming). The fights with the Vulture and Mysterio directly were relatively short affairs, and he spent most of them doing character building dialogue. You did genuinely get some traditional Spidey quips when he stopped the ATM heist.

Basically what I'm saying is Spider-man needs more dumb, angry opponents like the Rhino.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Not totally disagreeing with you but it sounded like TwoPair meant a much higher Jokes Per Minute count than that.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Steve Epting inked by Tom Palmer kicks so much rear end and it's a shame it was in service to Avengers stories about alternate universe Dane Whitmans and beardless Herculeses

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Karma Tornado posted:

beardless Herculeses

Yeah this was far more appalling than any jacket nonsense.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

MCU Spider-Man felt most Spider-Man like in Civil War to me, and that also has some good quips, especially "hey buddy, I think you dropped this". It had both cheekiness and edge.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Karma Tornado posted:

Steve Epting inked by Tom Palmer kicks so much rear end and it's a shame it was in service to Avengers stories about alternate universe Dane Whitmans and beardless Herculeses

Yeah, it's a shockingly good looking run considering the reputation it had garnered for years (just like how Greg Capullo's X-Force is actually gorgeous). The writing is just absolutely tepid and forgettable though (the Harras Avengers, not Nicieza's X-stuff which I actually really enjoy).

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Capullo also did some killer work on QUASAR in that era

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lobok posted:

I do love in Infinity War when Maw starts with his speech and Tony just cuts him off. Big fan of whenever a villian is speechafying and the hero makes them lose their train of thought and they loose their cadance, like with the end of Guardians and Ronan just going "what are you doing?" in a normal ton of voice.

Beardless Herc should never, ever happen.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It wasn’t just that he was beardless.

It’s that he was beardless with a mullet.

The white trashiest demigod to ever live, he was.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just saw The Suicide Squad and really liked it. But I kept thinking how Ratcatcher 2 is basically Squirrel Girl and how this means that she will never appear on screen since people would call it a ripoff.

Honestly, that feels like some sort of pre-emptive sabotage. Well, DC has now cornered the market for good hearted women, who befriend and command rodents.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 27, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel announced Squirrel Girl was going to be on the New Warriors show that never happened, they had time to get it out there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How many years before we get Marvel Vs DC? Will Disney be allowed to buy DC?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many years before we get Marvel Vs DC? Will Disney be allowed to buy DC?
It'll only happen if Disney buys DC, which I would say there's a non-zero chance of happening.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

They had cast Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl, and I was curious to see how that would turn out.

(Apparently she's done the voice for her in the Marvel Rising stuff. Did any of that turn out to be any good?)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vandar posted:

They had cast Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl, and I was curious to see how that would turn out.

(Apparently she's done the voice for her in the Marvel Rising stuff. Did any of that turn out to be any good?)

Her voicework was good, but the plots were really bland.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ratcatcher 2 is similar to Squirrel Girl, but Squirrel Girl would have talked Starro down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ratcatcher 2 was clearly a squirrel girl ripoff, but their personalities and backstories, and for sure doreen's supporting cast are all distinct enough that it would matter imo. it's not like people complain when you got 5 guys whose powers are all "hits really hard", and the movie pokes fun at itself by pointing out deadsho-i mean bloodsport and peacemaker have the same skillset and no one cares. audiences will roll with whatever you put in front of them now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, Bloodsport and Peacemaker having the same skill set is brought up in the film like 30 times.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Codependent Poster posted:

Ratcatcher 2 is similar to Squirrel Girl, but Squirrel Girl would have talked Starro down.

Squirrel Girl also wouldn't rob banks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I do love in Infinity War when Maw starts with his speech and Tony just cuts him off. Big fan of whenever a villian is speechafying and the hero makes them lose their train of thought and they loose their cadance, like with the end of Guardians and Ronan just going "what are you doing?" in a normal ton of voice.

Beardless Herc should never, ever happen.

There's also that goofy bit in Shazam where Sivana was trying to give his big villain speech but they're like 100 feet away from each other so Billy can't hear him.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Maw was delightful and I'm sad he died such a lame death

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Zzulu posted:

The Maw was delightful and I'm sad he died such a lame death

I’d put that as my single biggest issue with Infinity War; every time I rewatch that I get excited that he may come back some day until they have the shot of his frozen corpse drifting in space. I suppose it’s not impossible he could be resurrected; he’s the one Black Order member I would’ve liked to see pop up again down the line.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sentinel Red posted:

Was it **** Ratcatcher ****? 'cause that happened to me too, I spent the whole movie bummed out because I loved them immediately from their intro scene and was dreading the 'inevitable'.

That is exactly it, down to seeing the intro scene and going "oh no."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Marvel announced Squirrel Girl was going to be on the New Warriors show that never happened, they had time to get it out there.

Whatever killed that? Loeb finding out he was no longer welcome amongst Marvel TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Freeform changed their minds and no other network wanted it