Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Were these patients white, because I remember with Katrina they straight up just left prisoners to drown in their cells and then sent heavily armed death squads to randomly massacare "looters" whose bodies were often found floating in the floodwaters with a surprising amount of holes in them for someone victims of "drowning".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orleans_Parish_Prison
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danziger_Bridge_shootings

I guess they won't be adding to the COVID numbers at least.

"While there is no official death count for prisoners that were left behind, 517 prisoners were later registered as "unaccounted for" by Humans Rights Watch."

:staredog: how did I never hear about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

has anyone that lied about being immunocompromised been asked due to what?

I was.

I said history of splenectomy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

thank you, it will come in handy when I have to assimilate into the new chinese world order as america falls

Important CSPAM PSA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhTGK1ybkk

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Kinda sucks that the vaccine only lasts like five months before a booster is necessary. thanks to the people in this thread who commented about getting their boosters without any pushback at RiteAid/CVS/etc, I'm going to try to get mine next week.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Strep Vote posted:

Seconding Hello Chinese, it's extremely immersive and I love the character explanations. Like here's the word for dog: 狗 and it combines the characters for animal and speak (looks like a mouth saying a packet of words) because a dog is an animal that understands what you say to it. It rules, if you are artistic or musical Chinese is the language for you.

hmm maybe in a little while I will give it a shot, once I feel like duolingo is starting to fail for me. right now I'm doing well by just straight visual memory, but I bet that will plateau

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

1. Return to normal Friday nights

No crowd limitations. More than parents at games. Tubas, trumpets and trombones will be played in full bands. Coaches without masks. Teams playing a full schedule of games. And even refreshment stands. Yes, they will all be part of high school football again in 2021. There was a 2020 season, but COVID-19 took away many things that make Western Pennsylvania high school football special. There might still be some restrictions in 2021, but it’s pretty much a return to normalcy for football.

:bahgawd:

:thermidor:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Weaponized Autism posted:

Kinda sucks that the vaccine only lasts like five months before a booster is necessary. thanks to the people in this thread who commented about getting their boosters without any pushback at RiteAid/CVS/etc, I'm going to try to get mine next week.

I got hella pushback when I went, which was hilarious because I’m legitimately immunocompromised and had to argue my way into getting the shot. So just be prepared with a backup story.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:smith: goodbye birthday disney world trip that I got at 30% price because I called when the hotel opened. I will never see prices like that again. but I'd rather drop it than get loving intubated.

Weaponized Autism posted:

GA krogers are like "can we please stick your arm, please? please???" so there, too, if you have'em.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

has anyone that lied about being immunocompromised been asked due to what?

idk my doctor told me to get it

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sowing/Reaping

It makes me a poo poo person, but watching these people who've blundered, and screamed, and shat on everything decent for my entire life finally finally suffer some consequences for their disgusting behavior is the only thing getting me through this.

I sorta agree.

However, the broken society that created these people, then tolerated their rising influence, and eventually catered to them for votes, is also the "normal living" that moderates and centrists crave.

Guess I gotta hope there's a crack-ping among right-wingers that prompts them to direct their fury upwards at the establishment. Maybe enable some reform as an indirect consequence.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the horse paste laughter ran out and I'm sad about covid again

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1431218352903573507

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

jetz0r posted:

remember when bernie was the compromise candidate to save capitalism? lol

yeah this Bernie Sanders administration has been a real disappointment. What fools we were :rolleyes:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kalensc posted:

Guess I gotta hope there's a crack-ping among right-wingers that prompts them to direct their fury upwards at the establishment. Maybe enable some reform as an indirect consequence.

Unlikely since the alt right always likes shifting the blame especially how they made the narrative about illegals bringing more disease into the US.

Or all the Trump supporters who claimed they were not getting the vaccine since it was experimental but then made up new excuses once Pfizer did get FDA BLA approval.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i'm sure this got posted but god drat

https://twitter.com/JennaForTruth/status/1430986391979180035?s=20

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

No crowd limitations. More than parents at games. Tubas, trumpets and trombones will be played in full bands. Coaches without masks. Teams playing a full schedule of games. And even refreshment stands. Yes, they will all be part of high school football again in 2021. There was a 2020 season, but COVID-19 took away many things that make Western Pennsylvania high school football special. There might still be some restrictions in 2021, but it’s pretty much a return to normalcy for football.

it's mourning again in america

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Serf posted:

poo poo like this is why i'm wearing two masks all day now. i'm 33 years old and a fat piece of poo poo so i feel myself being fully engulfed in the corona
get a half mask respirator

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1431305876762202118

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

lol gently caress you Emily my kid wears a mask in outdoor preschool. She's a tremendously picky and dangerously defiant kid who's had no real complaint about masks at any point. Who knows what to attribute that to, but I think more than anything we did or didn't say to her, she got used to seeing us using them consistently any time she needs to. She has yet to make a comment like "how come some people don't wear masks?" or anything. It's weirdly (and conveniently) the one thing she'll reliably just do without putting up any kind of argument.

Last year she did a couple drawings, one was "me at the hospital, because I got Coronavirus". That was a little bit of a gut punch because it's a sad thing to hear a 3.5-4 year old say, but I was also sort of like, wow. We tried to do our best to explain the situation in terms of a serious disease that makes people very sick spreading, without telling her she needed to be afraid, or saying stuff we thought would make her afraid.

My read is that "normal socialization" among preschool and school age kids changes a lot less as a result of masks than I would have expected, and, poo poo, is that really surprising? What if they had just come in as a fashion statement, or because the climate had made everything such a dustbowl that of COURSE we all wear respirators and goggles. Kids would still play, and learn, and do all the normal poo poo!

This one is especially maddening to me because based on all that, keeping kids masked until we're sure they don't need to be, and not the reverse seems like the most sane and defensible policy on the grounds that if masks are normalized they don't actually need to be an impediment to kids lives at all, kids are dying, etc, etc.

I'm so pissed off that all the BS manual labor I need to do over the next couple weeks is gonna be more cathartic than anything else, provided I don't shred anything too bad.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 27, 2021

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

quote:

President Joe Biden said Friday that his administration was looking into whether to shorten the window of the planned Covid-19 booster shot program, something he discussed with Israel Prime Minister Naftali Bennett during a visit at the White House.

"We're considering the advice you've given that we should start earlier," Biden said.

The whole world is just following Israel’s public health guidance now

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

what a loser!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

suddenly so clear why going to high school in beaver county sucked

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jesus christ

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

He loves freedom so much he's about to experience the final freedom

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lol gently caress you Emily my kid wears a mask in outdoor preschool. She's a tremendously picky and dangerously defiant kid who's had no real complaint about masks at any point. Who knows what to attribute that to, but I think more than anything we did or didn't say to her, she got used to seeing us using them consistently any time she needs to. She has yet to make a comment like "how come some people don't wear masks?" or anything. It's weirdly (and conveniently) the one thing she'll reliably just do without putting up any kind of argument.

Last year she did a couple drawings, one was "me at the hospital, because I got Coronavirus". That was a little bit of a gut punch because it's a sad thing to hear a 3.5-4 year old say, but I was also sort of like, wow. We tried to do our best to explain the situation in terms of a serious disease that makes people very sick spreading, without telling her she needed to be afraid, or saying stuff we thought would make her afraid.

My read is that "normal socialization" among preschool and school age kids changes a lot less as a result of masks than I would have expected, and, poo poo, is that really surprising? What if they had just come in as a fashion statement, or because the climate had made everything such a dustbowl that of COURSE we all wear respirators and goggles. Kids would still play, and learn, and do all the norma poo poo!

This one is especially maddening to me because based on all that, keeping kids masked until we're sure they don't need to be, and not the reverse seems like the most sane and defensible policy on the grounds that if masks are normalized they don't actually need to be an impediment to kids lives at all, kids are dying, etc, etc.

I'm so pissed off that all the BS manual labor I need to do over the next couple weeks is gonna be more cathartic than anything else, provided I don't shred anything too bad.

Mmhmm

Little kids seem not to give a poo poo about wearing masks. It's the parents who project that onto them and then some older kids pick it up. My kid doesn't mind at all, and that's with a kn95 for 8 hours

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FistEnergy posted:

"While there is no official death count for prisoners that were left behind, 517 prisoners were later registered as "unaccounted for" by Humans Rights Watch."

It was a tangential plot point in the Nicolas Cage documentary Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

we like to post in this thread as a community this thread has developed a culture of many posts, all posting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

the media response to Katrina was super insanely racist lol, like at all levels about literally everything. They were giving attaboys to white chud militias going door to door executing people, they weren't about to mention prisoners being left to die in their cells

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

FistEnergy posted:

Well most of the victims were not white so there you go

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Epic High Five posted:

the media response to Katrina was super insanely racist lol, like at all levels about literally everything. They were giving attaboys to white chud militias going door to door executing people, they weren't about to mention prisoners being left to die in their cells

Oh yeah legit white supremacists came over from Texas and started killing people. It stopped in one area when a mutual aid group actually armed up and started doing patrols and had an eventual standoff and scared them off.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

gonna be wild when this is seattle area schools in a month

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/JSahly/status/1431310657174085637

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/ashrpash/status/1431306001949548546?s=20

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

I was.

I said history of splenectomy.

My MIL is on three different immunosuppressant drugs and had her spleen removed a decade ago.

Her doc said not to bother with a booster lol

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

there is no way it is even close to every teacher. my guess is like 15%. it has to just be that too many teachers are sick to effectively keep schools open. you know, which is still awful, but this tweet doesn't pass the smell test imo. maybe i have covid and have lost my sense of smell though

look at her next tweet
https://twitter.com/JennaForTruth/status/1431019604223070216?s=20

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
"You made this? I made this"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My read is that "normal socialization" among preschool and school age kids changes a lot less as a result of masks than I would have expected, and, poo poo, is that really surprising? What if they had just come in as a fashion statement, or because the climate had made everything such a dustbowl that of COURSE we all wear respirators and goggles. Kids would still play, and learn, and do all the norma poo poo!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Norton posted:

there is no way it is even close to every teacher. my guess is like 15%. it has to just be that too many teachers are sick to effectively keep schools open. you know, which is still awful, but this tweet doesn't pass the smell test imo. maybe i have covid and have lost my sense of smell though

look at her next tweet

https://twitter.com/wsfa12news/status/1431307805152194563?s=20

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Norton posted:

look at her next tweet

oh my god, hyperbole???

on the internet???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1431304275582492674
lmao