Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think 8-tracks were actually even more utterly forgotten and skipped in nostalgia

They still make some, at least as of 2019. https://www.discogs.com/Mark-Ronson-Late-Night-Feelings/release/13831098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if there were weirdos who got nostalgic for telegrams when mass availability of phone networks became a thing

It's hard to think of a technology that was rendered more obsolete by its successors than VHS
I spoke to a guy (who worked at, and may have part-owned, an old-style VHS rental place with the big catalogue and everything) who asserted that a well cared for VHS can last almost forever while DVDs were going to rot in a few years, and it was all a plot to keep selling you back your same movies constantly. He also said that two or three accountants in Nebraska were the ones who really ran America.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
In my niche of weird horror movies, a TON of them are VHS only. It sucks lol

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's hard to think of a technology that was rendered more obsolete by its successors than VHS

8mm /Super8 film? Tiny grainy images, easy to over/under expose, fiddly tape on reels, 50ft of tape per 3 min of film, no audio on most consumer cameras, loud rear end projectors that need to be kept running for several minutes after turning off the bulb so that it doesn't overheat and start melting. I recently fixed up my grandparents old 8mm projector and have been digitizing the reels. It's fun to tinker with but objectively so much worse than anything that succeeded it.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Gotta be either Techmoan or Cathode Ray Dude

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ham radio and Morse code people.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Homing pigeons.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

In my niche of weird horror movies, a TON of them are VHS only. It sucks lol

Long live the new flesh?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Tobermory posted:

Long live the new flesh?

:captainpop:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Tobermory posted:

Long live the new flesh?

Lol there is a vhs rental store in Atlanta called “Videodrome”

https://www.videodromeatl.com/

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Now I've got a new place to visit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I love that the search function is "beta"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It's like this person saw Chris Parnell's character from Hot Rod and decided to emulate him, but for video formats.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Saw this at the gas station by my house today.

Inside was an old man in a suit, eating peanuts and staring into the middle distance and taking up a gas pump I very much would’ve liked to use. Nothing else unusual on the car.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mean, church folks mostly being sent to hell tracks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

prayer group posted:

Inside was an old man in a suit, eating peanuts and staring into the middle distance and taking up a gas pump I very much would’ve liked to use. Nothing else unusual on the car.

With odds like that, why bother

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

prayer group posted:

Phophet

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

prayer group posted:

I dont think hes wrong

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Hambulance posted:

to be fair, using morse code aka CW in ham radio allows you to access a larger part of the radio spectrum with your license.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

This guy’s in LA right? It’s sad because he used to have this intense infowarrior ride about his family court case and then I think covid replaced all of it. I guess the pandemic does ruin everything

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
https://twitter.com/alibreland/status/1435685810712502277

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Took me a second to realize they weren't advocating the KKK on that van

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I mean they kinda are lol

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Hambulance posted:

ham radio and morse are still used globally; it's just easier to have a computer translate (with a utility like fldigi) rather than try to learn any morse code

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lol "800'000 kids go missing every year in the USA"

3.75 million children born per year in the US, so that means slightly more than 1 in 5 kids will go missing.

amazing that this is the first I'm hearing about it

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
"Infowarrior rides, chick tractors, vehicular screeds: gently caress Texas"

Aren't those the lyrics to that one Agent Orange song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8UcVruNgE

Aw crap. So close.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Klyith posted:

lol "800'000 kids go missing every year in the USA"

3.75 million children born per year in the US, so that means slightly more than 1 in 5 kids will go missing.

amazing that this is the first I'm hearing about it
There's ~70 million people that are under 18 in the US, so it's more like 1 in 90ish.

The 800k number seems to be true, at least as of 2012. However, 99% of them are found and returned.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Johnny Walker posted:

99% of them are found and returned.

yeah, as CLONES

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Almost every kidnapped kid was kidnapped by a non-custodial parent in the middle of an acrimonious divorce.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

"Infowarrior rides, chick tractors, vehicular screeds: gently caress Texas"

Aren't those the lyrics to that one Agent Orange song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8UcVruNgE

Aw crap. So close.

It *is* a futuristic modern world, and things aren’t what they seem…

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Johnny Walker posted:

There's ~70 million people that are under 18 in the US, so it's more like 1 in 90ish.

right, and now repeat that every year for 18 years. what do you get as the total number of missing kids over that time, divided by the total population of kids?

(assuming that there are no repeats because the kids are being abducted for the satanic child-sacrifice ceremonies at democrat headquarters)

quote:

The 800k number seems to be true, at least as of 2012. However, 99% of them are found and returned.

there's also a big difference between "reported missing" and actually missing

listen I know missing children isn't a joke but lets not start taking qanon idiots seriously

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Crusader posted:

ham radio and morse are still used globally; it's just easier to have a computer translate (with a utility like fldigi) rather than try to learn any morse code

Just know that every time someone uses a computer for CW, greybeards scream out in agony. Especially the straight-key purists.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Klyith posted:

right, and now repeat that every year for 18 years. what do you get as the total number of missing kids over that time, divided by the total population of kids?

(assuming that there are no repeats because the kids are being abducted for the satanic child-sacrifice ceremonies at democrat headquarters)

listen I know missing children isn't a joke but lets not start taking qanon idiots seriously

The very article quoted explains that it's like 100 children a year abducted by strangers.

quote:

The recovery rate for the estimated 115 children abducted by strangers each year, a very small but alarming segment of children reported missing annually, is less heartening.

If we actually break down the numbers:

quote:

Each year, 800,000 children are reported missing in America, including some who are lost, injured, have run away from home or are abducted, according to the center, the nation’s leading clearinghouse of information about missing children.

Of those who are abducted, 200,000 are taken by family members, typically during a custody battle, while 58,000 involve non-family members who are familiar to the child and who typically have targeted the child for sex, Allen said.

That means there's really like 250-300k per year of what we think of as "missing" children, of which 66% or so are taken by non-custodial family members.

Then there are 500,000 cases per year of kids being at their friend's house and the parent doesn't know it and reports them missing.

So a buried lede and massively inflated figures.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

pseudanonymous posted:

The very article quoted explains that it's like 100 children a year abducted by strangers.

If we actually break down the numbers:

That means there's really like 250-300k per year of what we think of as "missing" children, of which 66% or so are taken by non-custodial family members.

Then there are 500,000 cases per year of kids being at their friend's house and the parent doesn't know it and reports them missing.

So a buried lede and massively inflated figures.

More minors die of accidental gun discharges than killed by stranger abductors. This is why doctors ask if firearms are secured in a house with children, and do not spend time on stranger abduction during health and wellness visits. The same goes with death by sleeping with a child or infant in the same bed with an adult or larger child.

My SIL is paranoid that her children will be abducted by strangers and has instilled such fear in them that the 14 year old boy is still afraid to leave the house alone, even though he is 6 foot 1 and 240 lbs, and plays JV football on the line. He can't walk to school which is 3 block away, she has to drive him and his younger siblings. Why yes, how did you know she spends all of her free time on social media, and will not get vaccinated? It's not like she isn't a 2nd grade teacher or anything like that.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Ror posted:

edit: oh poo poo, one more. this one is powerful.

Tell me more about this Puta Hex

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Klyith posted:

I'm not saying take the Q people seriously, only that the number they used was accurate, but it's taken completely out of context, which I tried to explain. Also I just thought your math was coming up with a bad ratio since you were only counting births.

There are not 800k kids disappearing into the ether in the US, but that number did come from somewhere, and I think it's important to know that, and to know what is actually means. Someone has given them this scary, out-of-context number and it helped them start down this rabbit hole. I had a friend who went that way and it's loving nuts. People get crazy when kids are involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Toupee Groupie posted:

My SIL is paranoid that her children will be abducted by strangers and has instilled such fear in them that the 14 year old boy is still afraid to leave the house alone, even though he is 6 foot 1 and 240 lbs, and plays JV football on the line. He can't walk to school which is 3 block away, she has to drive him and his younger siblings. Why yes, how did you know she spends all of her free time on social media, and will not get vaccinated? It's not like she isn't a 2nd grade teacher or anything like that.
I grew up in the '80s and '90s and was terrified of being abducted pretty much whenever I was alone, including when my dad just popped into the gas station to pay after filling up. There was a huge focus on child-abduction awareness at the time, quite possibly tied to the rise in divorces (another possibility that terrified me), that made STRANGER DANGER feel like an extremely real and ever-present threat. I wonder if your SIL lived through that, too. (Thankfully, I turned out okay in that regard, and I encourage my own kiddo, now 15, to do a lot more without constant parental supervision. Not to mention we have no social media presence--and all our shots.)