Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rails SDMM posted:

C++, moving from the games industry into high frequency trading.

Ok yeah that's making a ton more sense. Those HFT jobs pay huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Nice work! I was talking with my HR colleague the other day and asked what happens if a nurse wants to negotiate a salary offer, and she deadass said oh we don't negotiate here it's take it or leave it. loving lol no wonder we are bleeding staff and have trouble finding applicants.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Parallelwoody posted:

Nice work! I was talking with my HR colleague the other day and asked what happens if a nurse wants to negotiate a salary offer, and she deadass said oh we don't negotiate here it's take it or leave it. loving lol no wonder we are bleeding staff and have trouble finding applicants.

Travel nurses are out there making insane money right now if tiktok has shown me anything. These folks signing 13 week contracts for 60K or more.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Travel nursing is kind of crazy if you don't mind moving so often. But I have a few nurse friends and that seems to be the case across the board. No negotiation and you just go with the highest comp offered across multiple offers if that's your main goal.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Deadite posted:

Ha, 0 worked. I was just thrown by how sternly it was worded.

They're not going to get back to you, just so you know. Those are meant to filter out anyone with a spine. Don't feel bad because these *are not* places you want to work for. I'm at the point where just seeing something like that is an immediate deal breaker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Chaotic Flame posted:

Travel nursing is kind of crazy if you don't mind moving so often. But I have a few nurse friends and that seems to be the case across the board. No negotiation and you just go with the highest comp offered across multiple offers if that's your main goal.

The people who I knew who did this (mom's colleagues) tended to be divorcees or empty nesters, seemed like a good gig if you are willing to or want to move around.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My brother did travel nursing for a single 13 week stint before burning out and taking a WFH job that paid like 60% of what he made, and he emphasizes that it was the correct choice every time it comes up.

Relevant to the thread, he just landed another offer in WFH nursing work that boosts him back where he was, then asked for another 3% and got it.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Forgive my ignorance, but how does one nurse others from home?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one nurse others from home?

Tele-medicine? Or various other types of tele-nurse hotlines. Or maybe even consultation/admin work for various health organizations that want you to have a nursing degree.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

He does a mix of telemedicine and insurance wrangling. Another outgrowth of the cancer that is the american healthcare system but at least he's not at risk of exposing himself to covid anymore.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Lots of nurses with technical skills get hired to help configure EMRs as well. For instance, building out templates for other clinical users to document in.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Pre-pandemic I got life insurance and the company sent a nurse to my home to check my vitals.

Wouldn't be nearly as cut and dry in our plague world but there was nothing about that check that required an office or a recurring commute for that nurse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey all just wanted a check on my plan. I interviewed with a FAANG and they are interested in sending me an offer, the recruiter (internal) is asking if I have any thought into my compensation. I’m thinking of responding like “Since this is a level X would there be a standard range for this?” And then have a look at levels.FYI etc to get what that range is and how it compares? Or should I just take the top end of this range and say that?

I’m not desperate for this job so I feel like I have very good BATNA and it would be fairly disruptive with a relocation or possibly living in a different location from the family and commuting to see them on weekends etc so I definitely want it to be worth my while.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

You should make them give you a number first.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good call, asking what is the expected range for that level and position along with RSUs and bonus.. definitely taking never say a number to heart here.

Will they break and give me one or what if they just keep asking what are my expectations? Just say thanks let me know what your starting offer is and we can go from there? drat that sounds right and kind of bad rear end actually very different from past negotiations where I am in a much weaker position.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I would need to evaluate the entire compensation package before I can give you a number.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Heck yeah. I pretty much said that back and let’s see how it goes!

I’ve been looking at levels.fyi so I have a pretty good idea what people are making or have reported anyway but that’s more for comparison with what they send back rather than a starting point.

My current co who is haemorrhaging people just told everyone that the QSR (quarterly salary reviews) have been adjusted upwards going forward with a lot of leeway for raises (because our comp was garbage and has been for a long long time) but lol if that affects enough people quickly enough to make a dent in people leaving. Most of the horses have already run out the door now there is frantic recruiting going on.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nurse Practitioners can make absolute bank in telemedicine, particularly because they recently changed the law, state nursing licenses apply in all 50 states for telemedicine purposes. Telemedicine companies use NPs to review prescriptions, doctors instructions, administer automation of prescription systems etc.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My neighbor is a BSN, and former combat medic, he does clinic data coordination from home right now and has had other administrative type jobs that use his experience. I’m guessing he does alright.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Got a response from the recruiter and she said:

quote:

Unfortunately I do not have any numbers to share. The offer is for a <position, level>. If you do not have expectations in mind let me know but would love to get an idea of a range so I can be an advocate on your behalf.

Thoughts on proceeding? Say “thanks for the interest, if you do have an offer to present I would be very interested but I need a starting number from you to base my expectations on”?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's plenty of ways you can benchmark FAANG pay, you should do that, find a number, add some money to it, and throw that back

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's plenty of ways you can benchmark FAANG pay, you should do that, find a number, add some money to it, and throw that back

Yeah it should not be hard to figure out the going rate in this case and add 20%.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So, in what way is this not in violation of "never say a number jfc"? I mean that question in all sincerity. Negotiation is not something I remotely understand but I am trying to get better at for my next job search.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"Never say a number" is shorthand for the more accurate but less succinct "Never say a number unless you've done your homework and know exactly what number to say and why you're saying it."

Car dealerships are happy--enthusiastic, even--to say a number first. It's called Sticker Price. Thinking through why that is is a useful exercise.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok yeah I have that dollar figure and was unsure if that’s be a good next step, but seems like. Looks like the levels.FYI for that level tops out at around 300k (median is 205k but there are some older reports bringing it down the 300k ones are a slightly more specialized position though) so asking for that would seem fair to me and give me reason to go thru with a move.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

priznat posted:

Ok yeah I have that dollar figure and was unsure if that’s be a good next step, but seems like. Looks like the levels.FYI for that level tops out at around 300k (median is 205k but there are some older reports bringing it down the 300k ones are a slightly more specialized position though) so asking for that would seem fair to me and give me reason to go thru with a move.

what's your other proposed course of action?

Magnetic North posted:

So, in what way is this not in violation of "never say a number jfc"? I mean that question in all sincerity. Negotiation is not something I remotely understand but I am trying to get better at for my next job search.

you can say a number if you are absolutely positively going to be delighted by receiving that number, and especially if it's benchmarked in some way

like if a recruiter emails me about an opportunity I tell them to open the conversation the base salary needs to be more than X and the upside bonus amount needs to be more than Y. Those numbers are both over 50% higher than my current numbers on each. This is a perfectly fine way to lead with a number.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I've had two different interviews where I let them give me a number as a range, but it was 15-30% lower than what I would need to switch jobs. My goto tactic is to just say yes, that's close enough and then wait until an offer is made for maximum leverage. But with a difference of $50K+ to make up, I'm hesitant to move forward with multiple hours of interviews unless I know they would be willing to come up.

With my preferred option, I just gave them the number I would need. Considering the gap, I thought it might be over, but they said it was doable! With the backup, I'm just letting it ride to just get some practice interviewing and negotiating since it's been a couple years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's your other proposed course of action?

I have another process underway with another company and if both of these fall through I’m perfectly comfortable at my current work. We’re underpaid but it’s stable and fine for doing an adequate job at while I look for other opportunities. If they come back with something quite a bit less than my number I’d thank them for the consideration but pursue other opportunities. The money is to insure me against some concerns I have about the company and the work culture, mostly.

Thanks for the insight on this all it’s really useful having this sober second look at it! It also really helps not NEEDING the new job and sure does give leverage having a a good BATNA.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

priznat posted:

Got a response from the recruiter and she said:

Thoughts on proceeding? Say “thanks for the interest, if you do have an offer to present I would be very interested but I need a starting number from you to base my expectations on”?

You can respond to this with something vague about competitive compensation and needing to know the entire compensation package. It's probably recommended to do so unless you know where in that 200k - 300k range the company is and what you would be happy with.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just got a job offer, I'm in CA.

When we had a initial phone conversation they asked my currently salary and I asked them to give me their range. I had several interview and their offer is at the top of their range in the initial phone conversation.

Is there still room to negotiate in this instance, or should I assume their range is set and can't go above that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I emailed off my expectations number and now got a call from the recruiter who wants to call me back, probably to say ohhh no that’s too much. I plan on just saying well send me an offer and I will have a look, you have my number I am looking for. We can go from there.

I hate having to call them back because it seems like recruiters all use garbage IP phones with bad connections and horrible latency and it just makes it even more painful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can, and should, always ask for more. Even if you only get $5k above what they offered, that's still $5k that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hey thread, I posted here about a month ago seeking guidance on a convoluted offer I got to do operations at a boutique strategy consulting startup as well as managing a property.

Part of that initial offer was to pay me a salary that I would then pay back as rent to establish a rent roll on this property, but we’ve scrapped that as part of the initial employment offer. We are going to figure out that rent roll scheme somewhere down the line, but for now, we worked out a simple employment contract, and it’s a bit better than that initial deal. I’m kinda proud of myself for flipping the housing-as-compensation offer on its head—establishing that it’s not actually a valuable proposition to me—and I ended up getting a higher base rate out of it.

When it came down to brass tacks and my boss asked how much I wanted to make in a year, I threw out 65k, which is about 15k more than my last job. After deliberating for a few days, he countered with a starting salary of 48k a year (plus health care and a 401k), but I’d be on a fast track to 65k in about six months after I hit a few key milestones, and I’d be on track to make ~88k after about a year and a half (but i’m not counting those chickens). He argued that I don’t have the skills and experience yet to be autonomous enough to justify 65k (he’s right, this if my first time working in both of these fields, and I haven’t worked much since graduating with a liberal arts degree a few years ago). So I agreed to it.

Now I know a promise of future raises isn’t worth much, but I basically don’t have a BATNA (unemployment would have run out this week, and I stoped studying Javascript a few months to focus on this work), and the milestones are pretty concrete and attainable. Also Ive gotten the sense over the past few weeks that he’s legitimately invested in training me up to those higher levels, so I don’t get the sense that I’m being used as cheap, disposable labor.

Anyway, thanks for helping me work through this and for providing strategic tips in the actual conversation. I certainly would have said a few things I shouldn’t have had I not read the thread.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hey thread, I posted here about a month ago seeking guidance on a convoluted offer I got to do operations at a boutique strategy consulting startup as well as managing a property.

Part of that initial offer was to pay me a salary that I would then pay back as rent to establish a rent roll on this property, but we’ve scrapped that as part of the initial employment offer. We are going to figure out that rent roll scheme somewhere down the line, but for now, we worked out a simple employment contract, and it’s a bit better than that initial deal. I’m kinda proud of myself for flipping the housing-as-compensation offer on its head—establishing that it’s not actually a valuable proposition to me—and I ended up getting a higher base rate out of it.

When it came down to brass tacks and my boss asked how much I wanted to make in a year, I threw out 65k, which is about 15k more than my last job. After deliberating for a few days, he countered with a starting salary of 48k a year (plus health care and a 401k), but I’d be on a fast track to 65k in about six months after I hit a few key milestones, and I’d be on track to make ~88k after about a year and a half (but i’m not counting those chickens). He argued that I don’t have the skills and experience yet to be autonomous enough to justify 65k (he’s right, this if my first time working in both of these fields, and I haven’t worked much since graduating with a liberal arts degree a few years ago). So I agreed to it.

Now I know a promise of future raises isn’t worth much, but I basically don’t have a BATNA (unemployment would have run out this week, and I stoped studying Javascript a few months to focus on this work), and the milestones are pretty concrete and attainable. Also Ive gotten the sense over the past few weeks that he’s legitimately invested in training me up to those higher levels, so I don’t get the sense that I’m being used as cheap, disposable labor.

Anyway, thanks for helping me work through this and for providing strategic tips in the actual conversation. I certainly would have said a few things I shouldn’t have had I not read the thread.

Isn't this the one where you're coming out net negative and they're trying to get you to do slave labor? :sever:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I just got a job offer, I'm in CA.

When we had a initial phone conversation they asked my currently salary and I asked them to give me their range. I had several interview and their offer is at the top of their range in the initial phone conversation.

Is there still room to negotiate in this instance, or should I assume their range is set and can't go above that?

There's at least another 5k baked into your salary range, you just have to ask for it, start 10k above the top of their range and work down slowly, try and hold out for 8k.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

leper khan posted:

Isn't this the one where you're coming out net negative and they're trying to get you to do slave labor? :sever:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hadlock posted:

There's at least another 5k baked into your salary range, you just have to ask for it, start 10k above the top of their range and work down slowly, try and hold out for 8k.

This is an hourly position but yeah, I’m gonna talk to them on Tuesday. They’re offering $34 but I would like $36-$38.

Do I just talk to the HR person who contacted me or do I need to talk to one of the managers? I haven’t interviewed for a job in 20 years so this is all new to me.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

FCKGW posted:

This is an hourly position but yeah, I’m gonna talk to them on Tuesday. They’re offering $34 but I would like $36-$38.

Do I just talk to the HR person who contacted me or do I need to talk to one of the managers? I haven’t interviewed for a job in 20 years so this is all new to me.

Usually you negotiate with HR. If you ask for 36 they'll probably give you 35 or 34.50. Or say there isn't room :shrug:

Ask for 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Respond to whoever gave you the offer. Ask for $38 minimum if you want $36, $40 would probably be better.