Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Stagger Heavy Slam and Yawn and you get like 5 seconds of stun, which is enough to win 1v1s against most Pokemon in the game. I gotta think between the stun and the gap-closer on Slam you've gotta be more effective than just empowered Flail autos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

i got master tonight finally :)

about 50/50 red bird/blue bird up until around ultra, then i basically had to pick the blue bird because people were always slamming mid instantly at that point

cram is really crazy in early game lane with an even semi-competent partner and i was running level 20 energy amp to blow up teams so i could swing games lol, as soon as i got it to 20 i got an 8 win streak. and you know what they say about correlation

still having a ton of fun honestly, pleasantly surprised its lasted this long

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

typhy posted:

still having a ton of fun honestly, pleasantly surprised its lasted this long

i'm pretty hooked on it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Red bird is a glass cannon, right? People say it's bad but every time I see one zoom in from offscreen and just delete someone it looks real scary.

Count me in as another Pokemon enjoyer, I haven't played for a few days but my Ninetales one-trick is up to Veteran 5 now and my winrate is only just starting to slow down.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

yeah basically just explodes basic evolutions early-mid game, but the problem is you only have enough cooldowns to burst down one person and then you can't do anything and you also have no health. so if they're playing well and their squishy mons are positioning correctly, it's hard to do anything other than trade and instantly die every time, until a certain point in the game where you can't even trade because their hp gain outscales the burst damage you can do. the biggest thing in a macro sense is that you could always be running something else mid that can take on three pokemon at once alone at level 7 anyway and also has a better ult for zapdos

really good for climbing ranks though because you can just delete dumb people and output enough damage to finish objectives quickly like a bargain bin gengar when only 2-3 people know what they're doing. also very fun and you're a bird

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I did this last night as eldegoss and it cracked me up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

:psyduck:

they forfeited at around 2:30...I'm not sure how that works.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I have had several games where someone proposes a surrender despite us winning. I just can't see the value of forfeiting. The game is basically a wash before Zapdos and by then the game is almost over anyway.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

SettingSun posted:

I have had several games where someone proposes a surrender despite us winning. I just can't see the value of forfeiting. The game is basically a wash before Zapdos and by then the game is almost over anyway.

I wish the game would actively penalize folks who put up a surrender request that fails when the team goes on to win the game. Even if I understand why they will never do it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SettingSun posted:

I think I’ve only successfully surrendered once, and it was a game where we fell way behind early because one of our teammates was MIA for the first 3 or so minutes of the game. I only put up votes if someone is afk like that and even then most of the time it doesn’t work. The funniest thing is opponents surrendering with 30 seconds left in the match. Why not just wait? It’s a waste.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now that I understand the game more I only opt to surrender to tell my team I’m disappointed in them.

Any word on when they’re doing another challenge like the Crustle one? Thinking about picking up Wigglytuff because I’m starting to get the hang of its moveset, but I’d rather wait first just in case because why pay for what could be free?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 26, 2021

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I have someone attempt to surrender almost every single game I play regardless if we're winning or losing. It seems that a lot of people just get wiped in a single team fight and attempt to quit the game. I vote no on every single one because in almost every game you can still pull out a win at the end if your team works together even a little bit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Had someone give up the first time they got knocked out a day or so ago. Just stayed in spawn the whole match, didn't even prompt a surrender.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I’m enjoying this game a whole lot- I never imagined I’d try a MOBA, much less play it almost daily- but as a healing/support main it is ROUGH when your team doesn’t know what they’re doing.

I play Blissey/Eldegoss/Mr. Mime, and usually call bottom lane. Mime does ok solo but if I’m playing one of the others and I’m by myself, I can’t decide what to do. Do I stay where I am and farm until Drednaw shows up, and spam pings and hope for the best? Do I give in and follow some teammates around even if they’re clueless?

Oh and they need to do something about AFK players, at least let a bot take over or something.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I pretty much only play elde, though I'm going to start trying out blissey in the near future. When I'm solo in a lane I usually farm and try to block any scoring for a bit, soaking up the sitrus berries if possible before retreating. If I can hold them at bay until someone else arrives I consider it a win, if I can't stop them from destroying the first point I retreat and find teammates.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If someone on my team proposes a surrender prior to Zapdos, and we take Zapdos and go and dunk 300 points or some poo poo, I will ALWAYS drop a surrender vote to rub in how stupid it would have been to think the game was over

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I proposed a surrender on a game we won, but it was only because we had a person AFK and two junglers. I figured that wouldn't work out in the long run, but I guess the other team was just terrible enough. It was pretty close the whole game and then we got Zap.

I also had a game where we surrendered despite being in the lead. But that was immediately after losing Zap and getting team wiped trying to manage it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

It's a tried-and-true MOBA tradition to immediately ff after losing the very first fight. After all, the game is about snowballing advantages, and the other team got the first advantage, so they're definitely gonna win unless they make a bunch of mistakes and who even wants to win a game just because the opponents keep screwing up?

But I think part of it is the lack of information. I will get spammed with surrender votes from what I imagine is the other lane getting stomped, and I'm thinking no way dude, we're kicking rear end over here, these guys are chumps. But they can't see that we're two levels ahead and 8 kills to 0 in the other lane, so they assume that since they're getting beaten up, it must be a lost cause.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
the "struggling to keep" messages don't help either. i hate them

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, the struggling messages sound bad, but it's not actually that many points in relation to dunks in the last two minutes.

I would also like a better announcer for kills, I feel like it'd be easier to notice if you're hearing "An enemy has been slain--Double kill!" rather than the anemic little splotch sound and the little banner that's often several seconds behind.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Everything about the sound design in the game is pretty bad. Most attacks are just little pops and creeps dont even make a noise when you kill them. Nothing sounds impactful or cathartic, but also doesn't have a distinct sound so you can identify something using it as a cue

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I know the main reason they don't allow chat is probably because a big part of their target audience is kids, but it must also be partly due to the fact that you can't really type efficiently with a controller. And it's good in a way because it means you don't get those moments I remember from HotS where someone will basically AFK while they type out a huge screed; I can't imagine how long it would take someone to vomit their extremely important words out using a Joy-Con.

The trade-off is that you can't inform people about mechanics or strategy but to be honest the number of times where even my most delicately and non-confrontationally worded advice has been accepted in good faith is so vanishingly small it might as well be non-existent.

And regarding controllers, I've been using a Switch Gamecube controller I bought for Smash Bros and the right stick already has intermittent drift after only a couple of weeks of use. Are they really unreliable? It's the second one I've had this happen to, though the first lasted a lot longer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, the struggling messages sound bad, but it's not actually that many points in relation to dunks in the last two minutes.

Yeah this is true, but I feel like a lot of pubbies don't know that so they see the message and just give up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

How do you earn back the fair play points? I got some deducted because of “malicious” idling (in reality a combination of my game crashing and my Internet going down) and realized that I don’t actually know how those work

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You get one or a few or whatever for playing a game normally.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Ah dope, I don’t want to miss out on my free 20 coins a day, if I save up for 500 days I can buy Lucario!

I just earned Crustle last night and I think he’s my new favorite defender. There’s something really fulfilling about sitting on goal, luring an opponent to try and fight me and then entombing them when they try to run away and cutting them down. My most recent match had a guy playing Talonflame drop and be replaced with a bot and I told it to stick with me and it ended up being about as effective as the guy would have been. I feel like that’s way more worth an MVP crown than just getting a few KOs

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The sheer power of being Blissey in a good team is intoxicating.

Bliss Assisted our Cinderace who got caught out 1v3, kept the Cinderace alive, and together we got three kills and both dunked.

I am a pink wobbly god.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Crustle is great because he can either be a cold-blooded, patient, and precise hunter, or the living incarnation of Yakety Sax.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pm me if u wanna trade names and team up sometime

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 28, 2021

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like this game, but I have to echo the sentiment that everything around Zapdos loving sucks.

How is it possible that there's literally one battle that decides most games and yet people in Veteran+ ranks still don't understand that we need them to fight it? I swear 8/10 games are decided by which team has the least people loving around in a lane killing a random wild pokémon while the rest are contesting the big bird. I had a game last night that included a snorlax who went to their base and hung around their goal while we lost at zapdos, trying to score but being unable to because we still had the 2 inner goals up.

Also, I shouldn't get mad at a dumb 10 minute pokémon match but it's frustrating trying to do any kind of play just to watch teammates loving bail as soon as I engage. Doesn't matter if they're full HP, ranged, and I just Crustle'd someone out of position perfect for a quick kill, once they aren't being targeted everyone goes back and I die in what should've been a 2/3 kill. At this point I'm ready to give up playing any kind of supporting role and just run fire bunny every game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

zapdos is a tough call because it does enough damage that its easy to get steamrolled and lose it even if you're really far ahead

and if you got pulled off but won the fight it may have reset and if you try for it again you're inevitably fighting a second wave of full health enemies

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 27, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You guys ever used to watch Supermarket Sweep when you were a kid? It kinda reminds me of that. It was this 30-min long game show, and the bulk of the show was typical game show stuff, quizzing the contestants on prices with points given out for correct answers, that sort of thing. After 20+ minutes of this, they finally get to the main draw of the show, the titular Supermarket Sweep, where contestants run through a grocery store throwing things into their cart, and the person whose cart has the highest total value wins the ENTIRE game show. So really, the first twenty minutes are almost completely worthless -- if you're leading in points, then you might get a ten second head start on the Supermarket Sweep, but if the other guy grabs enough expensive steaks and giant cheese wheels then you just lose, even if you embarrassed him in every challenge until then.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

You guys ever used to watch Supermarket Sweep when you were a kid? It kinda reminds me of that. It was this 30-min long game show, and the bulk of the show was typical game show stuff, quizzing the contestants on prices with points given out for correct answers, that sort of thing. After 20+ minutes of this, they finally get to the main draw of the show, the titular Supermarket Sweep, where contestants run through a grocery store throwing things into their cart, and the person whose cart has the highest total value wins the ENTIRE game show. So really, the first twenty minutes are almost completely worthless -- if you're leading in points, then you might get a ten second head start on the Supermarket Sweep, but if the other guy grabs enough expensive steaks and giant cheese wheels then you just lose, even if you embarrassed him in every challenge until then.

it's this but also someone can ram into your cart and take all your poo poo

snohax
May 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Now that I understand the game more I only opt to surrender to tell my team I’m disappointed in them.

Any word on when they’re doing another challenge like the Crustle one? Thinking about picking up Wigglytuff because I’m starting to get the hang of its moveset, but I’d rather wait first just in case because why pay for what could be free?

If you've got the coins, there's no risk to getting Wigglytuff or any other license you want now. A friend of mine bought Greninja early on, and the game gave him back the coins when he got it again from the login rewards. Though it's worth noting that it probably gives you back coins even if you spent the real money currency on it, so maybe don't do that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just lost game because right at 7:00 one of our team in a five man voice chat had his switch crash :( it was a close game at Ultra level and we just couldn't manage with only 4.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Approximately every other time I try to access one of the in game stores, my game crashes. Hasn't crashed in a match yet though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I've only just gotten the game a few days ago but from my experience if we're losing we are loving losing, and Zapdos showing up is just to compound further humiliation onto a team that cannot get it together.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pokemon unite but all chat wheel options are "stop rushing t2 goals please"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

snohax posted:

If you've got the coins, there's no risk to getting Wigglytuff or any other license you want now. A friend of mine bought Greninja early on, and the game gave him back the coins when he got it again from the login rewards. Though it's worth noting that it probably gives you back coins even if you spent the real money currency on it, so maybe don't do that.

Good to know! I’ve got 20k-something coins saved up since I haven’t bought any Pokies so far and the only real money I’ve spent/plan to spend is on battle passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1431330677279055872