Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Broken Cog posted:

Got myself a melee pawn with tough, nimble and a stoneskin implant, and woo that guy can tank the world.

Unfortunately everyone hates him because the stoneskin gave him wrinkles.

Give him a nice nose and an aesthetic shaper and he can just be your friendly walking marble statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Heffer posted:

I just made a killbox with modded ditches and sandbags, and these manhunting wolves arent even trying to path over it. Did I make it too long? Even colonists won't path through it if I try to force them to.

Never mind, those are sandbag Walls and not regular sandbags

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ShadowHawk posted:

If I give my slaves both a collar and slave harness their suppression fall rate goes to 0. But this seems to have the side effect of freezing their current suppression amount where it is - my wardens no longer use the suppress ability on them.

That, in turn, can lock their suppression amount at something like 60% rather than 100%, making them more likely to rebel.

Is this intended?

Yeah, seems to be. You should be able to boost it with a good execution or an old fashioned beat down though, it's something I've been meaning to test but none of my recent colonies have been using slaves.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Lone Badger posted:

I suspect it's overpowered, but Vanilla Weapons Expanded - Nonlethal has a tranq rifle.

Tranqs are an interesting case because their accuracy is sorta poo poo (in my experience at least not sure about real stats), it takes like ten seconds for the dart to actually work, and they take FOREVER to fire, so they're pretty useless in a normal battle since people can just run up and beat you to death. Overall they're really only super useful if you want to put a specific dude to sleep so he doesnt get killed in the firefight.

Also hunting, hunting with a tranq rifle is hilariously OP

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dire Lemming posted:

Give him a nice nose and an aesthetic shaper and he can just be your friendly walking marble statue.

Good idea, though it's gonna have to wait, because I got the stoneskin from an ancient soldier I captured, and I'm some ways off getting fleshshaping.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Completely randomly I rescued a Hiver-Queen (from Rim-Hivers!) early on and now every 30d I get one or two brand new colonists (with intellectual disabled). I have no idea how to handle a big colony, I usually max out at 6 pawns. :ohdear:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Best use of a tranquilizer gun is thrumbo hunting. It’s hilariously op there.

They’re useful in sieges and protracted firefights. 12 pawns show up, 1 or 2 get tranqed. As long as there are no targets of need (rocket launchers, grenadiers), then I check the oncoming enemy pawns and see if I really want one or two.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what are everyone's thoughts on the DLCs? worth getting?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

what are everyone's thoughts on the DLCs? worth getting?

Ideology (and 1.3) 100% revived the game for me, it's amazing (but adds a lot more complexity to the gameplay)

Royalty is a hodgepodge of cool stuff that may or may not be worth it depending on what you like. I like the whole idea of having a noble with mental powers and more quests but a lot of people don't think it's worth it. And there are a lot of mods that can do similar stuff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like the Royalty mod a lot, and I think it's the better of the two, though totally optional. It's really well polished.

"Worth it" is tough here. It's probably not going to ever go on super sale. At the minimum it'll probably get you into a new and exciting 30-hour colony. That seems like a great investment. Both DLCs are re-invigorated the game for me so by that alone they are easily worth it. Plus it's great to support Ludeon here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lockback posted:

Plus it's great to support Ludeon here.
This. Per enjoyable hour spent, Rimworld is right up there with Stardew Valley for me. Of the two extensions, I think Ideology goes deeper and is more powerful. Plus, there's the fun that nobody's really figured out quite how to play it yet, and that includes Tynan, who is tinkering with it to rebalance.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you've put in a few hundred hours and you're thinking you can put in a few hundred more, yeah, the DLCs are worth it.

If you're still working on your 30th hour (scrub), and you don't have cash to just throw around, mods will suit you just fine.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

If I give my slaves both a collar and slave harness their suppression fall rate goes to 0. But this seems to have the side effect of freezing their current suppression amount where it is - my wardens no longer use the suppress ability on them.

That, in turn, can lock their suppression amount at something like 60% rather than 100%, making them more likely to rebel.

Is this intended?

Have a colonist beat them up and it'll rise. You can lock it at 100% this way. Feels wrong, but that's Rimworld I guess.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Sachant posted:

Have a colonist beat them up and it'll rise. You can lock it at 100% this way. Feels wrong, but that's Rimworld I guess.

public executions also outright set suppression to 100%

e: also masochists get a total of +5 mood from wearing the slave gear so masochists make pretty good slaves all around.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

e: also masochists get a total of +5 mood from wearing the slave gear so masochists make pretty good slaves all around.

If they're colonists they still get the mood bonus, though the straps do occupy the middle layer.

The collar should provide some neck armor, yet it does not..

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if they're colonists you're definitely going to want gear on them that's actually protective, yeah. i've been using broadwraps for head gear since the new patch came out and that works about as well as veils do; i miss the pain shock threshold a little but eh. broadwraps also cover the shoulders, which gives that part of the body three standard layers (shell, shirt, 'head'), rather than the 2 it otherwise has. i made the broadwrap an observance of my ideology and it's been pretty sick.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh drat I never really thought of it, but a devilstrand broadwrap would provide some drat good protection while still being lightweight, I'll have to check the layers but I might be able to equip them alongside the scouters from DBZ I modded in, which would be great for my long range gunmen

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ShadowHawk posted:

Make some wooden (or plasteel) maces, you're much more likely to pain shock them and get captives that way.

Plasteel maces are barely better than steel because the material simply isn't good for blunt weapons. You're basically making a whiffle bat. Uranium maces are the big money headbonkers in vanilla.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what, for capturing? won't that just crush skulls in one swing?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So my doctor got a friendly fire:

Is there any way to fix this or should I start training a new doctor. My next highest is 6 this guy was 11.5

rest of the picture

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
biosculpt pod or healer mech

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what, for capturing? won't that just crush skulls in one swing?

Yeah uranium is for when you want your targets as dead as possible. If you want to capture humanoids alive (and you don't want every capture to need several prosthetics) then it's better to bonk them with something that won't outright destroy bodyparts.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

should i be making uranium full plate?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
for plate armor, Uranium is pretty good, plasteel is a bit better.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Make 5 suits of golden plate and find the archonexus quickly and easily

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

does flak armor obsolete plate for all applications?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not quite since it only protects the torso while plate covers almost everything. The main benefit to flak vests is that they don't penalize movement as much and you can layer them under devilstrand coats and such, but good quality full plate is probably still better for your frontline melee sorts until you get marine armor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you wear flak vest + jacket, for shooter types, coverage of the legs and feet isn't quite as strong but the movement penalty is much smaller. For melees, I don't think it's as obvious, leg and feet hits seem more common in melee. This is only comparing flak vs. plasteel plate, if it's flak vs steel plate then flak is hands down much better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can I hear peoples' opinions on their standard bedroom sizes?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve settled on 3x4 for single rooms and 4x4 for doubles, but usually wind up stuffing everyone into 2x3s in the early game, before I build a proper dormitory wing.

If I’ve got a noble, they get the wall between their room and the next one knocked down to satisfy their space needs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just give everyone 5x5's, a bit bigger if they get needy.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I normally do 3x7 like this because it fits into my grid size (7x7 rooms with 3-wide hallways) when I'm building a big compound:

They get up to slightly impressive with high-quality furniture and can be boosted higher with art. I do "full" 7x7 rooms for nobles with high requirements or guest nobles.

But for my cannibal/raider/supremacist/pain is virtue run, they're just so dang easy to keep happy with all horror so I said gently caress it and put them in a big barracks, especially since I'm going with a less dense disordered "shanty town" sort of setup instead of a big compound:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried combining Tree Connection with Tunneler? Make everyone happy by filling your entire mountain base with Bonsai trees.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I keep a lot of 2x4s ready to go for visitors and new recruits. Any special cases, or preferred colonists get 6x5s.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Just curious, but do the multiplayer mods generally work and result in gameplay that is not fundamentally broken?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

I normally do 3x7 like this because it fits into my grid size (7x7 rooms with 3-wide hallways) when I'm building a big compound:

They get up to slightly impressive with high-quality furniture and can be boosted higher with art. I do "full" 7x7 rooms for nobles with high requirements or guest nobles.

Looks like you've thought about this more than I have, but why so many heaters and coolers instead of vents between rooms?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Steely Dad posted:

Looks like you've thought about this more than I have, but why so many heaters and coolers instead of vents between rooms?

I specifically have not thought about it and decided to do that instead of figure out the ratios needed

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I specifically have not thought about it and decided to do that instead of figure out the ratios needed

Why passive coolers? To avoid the venting-hot-air-into the-halls problem? Because wow, that adds up to a lot of tree-chopping and log-hauling.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why passive coolers? To avoid the venting-hot-air-into the-halls problem? Because wow, that adds up to a lot of tree-chopping and log-hauling.

If you're using dub's bad hygiene, it replaces the wood with water for refilling the passive coolers (which makes more sense anyway)

Granted if you're using dubs just install AC and radiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ryde posted:

Just curious, but do the multiplayer mods generally work and result in gameplay that is not fundamentally broken?

I haven’t done multi since 1.3, but before that besides having a very limited number of mods which can be run in a multiplayer game without problems there were shockingly few issues with multi games.