Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Hearth and Home comes out September 16th, here's todays dev blog/announcement:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/2984184915223630933

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

nice.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

pik_d posted:

Hearth and Home comes out September 16th, here's todays dev blog/announcement:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/2984184915223630933

"Viking traverses the world and braves dangers coming home for a house decoration" is pretty on-brand.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
That looks like a cooking oven but I'm hoping it's an incinerator!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hadn’t heard that music in a long time, and it brought everything rushing back.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bioshuffle posted:

What are some QoL changes you'd like to see? I really wish they'd revamp farming. It's stupid to just sit there wasting time planting crops. Fishing is just plain bad.
Everything stays useful throughout the game. Especially poo poo you're always (automatically) picking up like dorf eyes and bone fragments. Even troll leather gets outclassed really quickly and then it's a waste of container space.
If you can pick it, you can plant it.
Please don't make me mash the "add item" button 25 times. Have the option to fill or use all in my inventory. Single is fine if I'm just throwing a couple spare hunks of wood in the kiln, but most people aren't doing it that way. Oh, and whoever decided the kiln would hold 25 coal but the smelter/blast furnace would only hold 20 is an rear end in a top hat :colbert:
Allow me to sell junk. Also the merchant should have more stock. Money becomes pointless after you've bought everything, why not let me buy serpent meat instead of hoping RNG catches me lucky?
Fix how the hoe works. It's clunky at best and aggravating at worst.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, let me build perma-torches with Surtling cores. I like coming back to an old base and relighting everything sometimes, but other times I just want to have a few lights always on, you know? Running around with resin stacks sucks.

Failing that let resin pull from storage to refill empty torches.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
It's almost a meme at this point, but there are mods that do all of those things except for fixing the hoe. Making straight lines with that things suuuuuuucks. I would be happy with an "undo last action" feature.

I probably should have waited for Hearth and Home, but I started a new world and character and am having a blast again. I really appreciate that you arent really hurried along at any point. I spent the first week finding the perfect place for my house and building it and the game was just fine with that. I don't think I'd like it if it was added to the vanilla game, but I'm using a mod that adds RPG-like properties to items (add elemental damage, increase resistance, etc) and I enjoy the variation and options of sidegrades compared to the linearity of upgrades in the base game.

Unrelated, but does anyone know if it's possible to use thunderstore as a mod manager while also adding mods from external sources? There's an option to import mods in the app, but it doesn't ever seem to work and dropping the dlls in the usual place doesn't either.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Ravenfood posted:

Oh, let me build perma-torches with Surtling cores. I like coming back to an old base and relighting everything sometimes, but other times I just want to have a few lights always on, you know? Running around with resin stacks sucks.

Failing that let resin pull from storage to refill empty torches.

Honestly I like the torches going out. Makes me really feel the time that has passed since I was last there.

FYI the torches that use metal (iron, copper, the brazier) burn at a significantly slower rate than the wooden torches. Iron is plentiful and easy to stock up on so I recommend it for lighting up bases. 6/6 on an iron torch means it won't go out for like 80 days or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or build your base around a bonfire and toss a couple trees into it every so often.

With satellite hearths if necessary.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

xzzy posted:

Or build your base around a bonfire and toss a couple trees into it every so often.

With satellite hearths if necessary.

:hmmyes:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

BrianRx posted:

It's almost a meme at this point, but there are mods that do all of those things except for fixing the hoe. Making straight lines with that things suuuuuuucks. I would be happy with an "undo last action" feature.

I probably should have waited for Hearth and Home, but I started a new world and character and am having a blast again. I really appreciate that you arent really hurried along at any point. I spent the first week finding the perfect place for my house and building it and the game was just fine with that. I don't think I'd like it if it was added to the vanilla game, but I'm using a mod that adds RPG-like properties to items (add elemental damage, increase resistance, etc) and I enjoy the variation and options of sidegrades compared to the linearity of upgrades in the base game.

Unrelated, but does anyone know if it's possible to use thunderstore as a mod manager while also adding mods from external sources? There's an option to import mods in the app, but it doesn't ever seem to work and dropping the dlls in the usual place doesn't either.

I use FarmGrid to make straight lines, and CropReplant replants something in the same spot if you have some seeds/whatever in your inventory. I've never used the 2nd one though.

FarmGrid: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/449/
CropReplant: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/99

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007

pik_d posted:

I use FarmGrid to make straight lines, and CropReplant replants something in the same spot if you have some seeds/whatever in your inventory. I've never used the 2nd one though.

I use both, big QOL improvements for me

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

pik_d posted:

Yeah, those are necessities for me. I can't find a link to it but there is a mod on thunderstore that replants trees when you destroy the stump as well. I don't think it's being actively maintained anymore, but it still works. The game has a lot of busy work (like refueling torches, as discussed above) and I appreciate the ability to turn things on and off as I like.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Surtling cores as an ingredient in everburning torches seems like a no-brainer though. Like a lot of other mats once you get what you need you don't really need more of them.

Though I guess cores have the use of throwing them on bonfires for fireworks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Surtling cores as an ingredient in everburning torches seems like a no-brainer though. Like a lot of other mats once you get what you need you don't really need more of them.

Though I guess cores have the use of throwing them on bonfires for fireworks.

Exactly. Cores could use a later-game use and that was one thought. Or just make them brighter so I can stick them on stands like I did with yellow mushrooms.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
100% hypothetical...

how many cores would it take to power an airship

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All of them

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

If you put surtling trophies on a stand/mount they burn a little bit of light and never go out

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you put a torch on an item stand does it give off light?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Reik posted:

If you put a torch on an item stand does it give off light?

No, but Surtling Trophies do

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm going to be hosting a server for some friends. They are tech-savvy enough to install mods but I'm wondering if it's possible to get all the mods I want into one big zip that I distribute to my friends?

Also, how mod-friendly have patches been? Do fixes and minor patches tend to break every mod, forcing you to wait for a mod update, or can you typically ride em out?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Jinnigan posted:

I'm going to be hosting a server for some friends. They are tech-savvy enough to install mods but I'm wondering if it's possible to get all the mods I want into one big zip that I distribute to my friends?

Also, how mod-friendly have patches been? Do fixes and minor patches tend to break every mod, forcing you to wait for a mod update, or can you typically ride em out?

You’d have to re-send the zip anytime you want to update a mod. I just used r2modman on the server and had my friends use it too. I sent them the names of the mods and it was simple enough for them to set up and keep using.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

Exactly. Cores could use a later-game use and that was one thought. Or just make them brighter so I can stick them on stands like I did with yellow mushrooms.

I could see using surtling cores as special fuel for smelters and blast furnaces that makes them work much faster. Feeling impatient and want those 10 iron now? Just pop a core in there and get them three times as fast! Or something like that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In that case I’d settle for them just lasting longer than regular coal.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

The only time I can recall mods breaking was an update that included a unity version update. And the mods were fine, it was BepInEx that crapped the bed.

Having said that the DEVs have directly stated they have no intention of supporting any mod. We also haven't had an update in a couple months.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You have to assume when the big patch drops all mods that have anything to do with building will break.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
So the modability of this game is a side effect of using Unity and not a decision on the part of the devs? I think I remember reading one of them has a vision of the survival experience being much more unforgiving. Glad Unity is so mod-friendly because I don't think anyone actually plays the game vanilla.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unity isn't inherently mod friendly either, but it's an open platform with a lot of momentum so there's a lot of knowledge out there how to hack into it, and generally speaking if one Unity game gets hacked any other game is trivial to add support for. That's what the various tools and dlls you download prior to modding Valheim are doing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The devs tolerate modding but they don't like it. They're pretty big on ~my vision~

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

BrianRx posted:

So the modability of this game is a side effect of using Unity and not a decision on the part of the devs? I think I remember reading one of them has a vision of the survival experience being much more unforgiving. Glad Unity is so mod-friendly because I don't think anyone actually plays the game vanilla.

I play the vanilla version so I can play as the devs intended and not feel like I cheated my building into existence. But it's also because it seems really inconvenient to install and not streamlined at all.

That may change though. Tempted to get mods that take out boring aspects of the game and don't affect gameplay balance. Like, do I really enjoy planting and harvesting everything repeatedly?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 29, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bioshuffle posted:

I play the vanilla version so I can play as the devs intended and not feel like I cheated my building into existence. But it's also because it seems really inconvenient to install and not streamlined at all.

That may change though. Tempted to get mods that take out boring aspects of the game and don't affect gameplay balance. Like, do I really enjoy planting and harvesting everything repeatedly?

Yeah the planting stuff makes a big difference. It's not like not using mods is "difficult" it's just more tedious for that kind of thing.

The devs definitely have a vision of a hardcore survivor but I don't necessarily think you need to stick to that. If I can avoid doing tedious stuff that bores me and takes up time, I'm gonna avoid it. Play the game for you, not the devs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Everything stays useful throughout the game. Especially poo poo you're always (automatically) picking up like dorf eyes and bone fragments. Even troll leather gets outclassed really quickly and then it's a waste of container space.
If you can pick it, you can plant it.
Please don't make me mash the "add item" button 25 times. Have the option to fill or use all in my inventory. Single is fine if I'm just throwing a couple spare hunks of wood in the kiln, but most people aren't doing it that way. Oh, and whoever decided the kiln would hold 25 coal but the smelter/blast furnace would only hold 20 is an rear end in a top hat :colbert:
Allow me to sell junk. Also the merchant should have more stock. Money becomes pointless after you've bought everything, why not let me buy serpent meat instead of hoping RNG catches me lucky?
Fix how the hoe works. It's clunky at best and aggravating at worst.

I gotta be honest, sometimes I forget this stuff is actually an issue for people since I don't have to deal with it, and then I remember that if a new version is coming out, poo poo. I'M GONNA HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The devs tolerate modding but they don't like it. They're pretty big on ~my vision~

I hope someone convinces them to try out some of the good ones so they can just include the stuff in their vision.

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't think most of the mods people actually use affect the difficulty or balance? Most of them do exactly as you say, streamline the boring bits by doing things like replanting crops you harvest if you have the seeds and tell it to, or letting you craft from nearby containers without having to do inventory juggling. Others just add little fun stuff, like being able to grow bigger trees or place terrain features or being able to rotate building pieces.

I suppose my favorite mod, the one that lets you manually control snapping DOES make building a lot easier, frustrating-wise, in terms of not having to look at the one loving pixel that will put your next thing where you want, and not having to build complicated temporary structures to get your stuff to align correctly, but that doesn't really feel like the "cheated my building into existence" sort of thing you seem to be talking about, so much as a "why the gently caress isn't this the normal behaviour its so much more enjoyable" sort of thing. You'll still spend the same amount of time building, you'll just end up getting a lot more ambitious in terms of details. :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm ok with portals not being able to transport ore early on because it would completely break the difficulty curve since it's so trivial and cheap to set up portals all over the map. Being able to completely circumvent carts, transporting by boat or dealing with sea monsters like 2 hours into the game would remove a lot from the game - hell, these are the first parts of the game where the danger starts ramping up and were actually exciting as a new player. That being said, there should be an upgraded portal that you can invest a lot of resources or time into mid-to-late game to freely move resources between permanent settlements.

QoL stuff like being able to replant stuff easily/cleanly is completely fine though and would not be surprised to see in H&H, tbh. And mods that make it easier to build underwater without using silly glitches.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd be fine with there being a extra fancy looking portal requiring [insert mistlands resource here] that requires the plains bosses key item to access just for removing the tedium of ore moving late game, everyone is happy then, players just starting get to haul stuff the old fashioned way on cart and boat, boats are still useful for finding new beachheads to set up outposts and lategame you aren't spending multiple hours to use iron in a few of your home decorations.

They should add a new way to get iron besides the crypts late game also, like being able to melt down black iron into regular iron.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like I agree with the developers when they say “no teleporting ore ever” but the only idea I have to make things better is a big enough boat that would allow you to smelt and craft as you sail. That basically removes the need for a base though unless it would need to be maintained beyond the degradation already in the game.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

The installing for mods is just:
- Extract BePinEx (the mod framework) to Valheim folder
- put mods into the Plugins folder inside there

It's super easy and there's tons of nice QoL tweaks out there, like shareable maps or real-time map updates for all players on a server which is nice.

Unrelated, you can also put the yellow mushrooms on item stands for a softer glowing light source. Works best with a few framing a path/window/doorway.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm also paranoid about the mods messing up my game saves.

However, if using a mod means I can spend less time doing chores like farming and more time exploring and building, it does sound really really tempting.

Also, every now and then I'll have my friends hop on my server to help me with stuff. How will mods affect all of this?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I haven't installed any mods like teleporting ore, but I can't imaging playing again without the QoL mods like the harvest/replanting mods or crafting pulling from chests within a certain radius. Especially when taking on a building project it's so much easier than repeatedly running back to a chest to restock your wood/stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We had a server with a dozen different players running a dozen different mods, and no ones save ever got messed up. Pretty much every client side mod is compatible with playing with other people who don't have it, or who have their own sets, while server mods sometimes need synced client-side stuff - but just don't bother with those, honestly.

I did manage to mess up one of my worlds with mods, but that was specifically a "change how worlds are built mod" that I applied to an already existing world, with hilarious results that I should have expected except I forgot I did it next time I logged in and it was raining trees and there were huge rock spires and underwater forests and ruins and all sorts of crazy stuff. :v: My character was fine though, and honestly I thought a lot of the changes made the world more interesting - sunken ruins were especially cool.

I like the suggested portal behaviour where you can build upgraded portals with materials from the next area to allow you to transport goods from the previous area. Iron and some swamp mats lets you transport copper, silver and some mountain mats lets you transport iron, black iron and some plains mats lets you transport silver. I think that's a good way to do it, but I don't expect them to do it that way and it's actually difficult for someone to write a mod like that I imagine