Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Also, time to start trimming those claws. Those look like daggers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wanna pet that cat

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

VelociBacon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NxJ1Fkq.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/gqDFmQ9.gifv

Cat's favorite place, a laundry storage bin. She enters via the hole on top and exits through the side holes there that she's poking her head out of.

:3: I love her

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NxJ1Fkq.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/gqDFmQ9.gifv

Cat's favorite place, a laundry storage bin. She enters via the hole on top and exits through the side holes there that she's poking her head out of.

Perfect hiding place for kitten! She's gonna be real mad soon when she's too big for it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Also, time to start trimming those claws. Those look like daggers!

Really? She's 9 weeks old I thought the trimming was a thing for months later?

She lets me handle her paws and extend them and everything already so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

Glad you guys like the cat, I've absolutely fallen in love with her. Its physically painful to not be at home now. First vet visit later today.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nail trimming is harmless as long as you don't hit the quick (the little pink triangular area at the base.) If it's so small that you're not comfortable doing it, then that's fine to wait, but just exposing the claws is one thing, you'll have to make her get used to being held and a weird metal thing going after her fingers. Personally I made a mistake in clipping one kitten early but not his sister, so the one is fine with me clipping his nails but the other absolutely will not tolerate it.

Also kitten claws are like freaking daggers. If not now, then soon.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kw0134 posted:

Nail trimming is harmless as long as you don't hit the quick (the little pink triangular area at the base.) If it's so small that you're not comfortable doing it, then that's fine to wait, but just exposing the claws is one thing, you'll have to make her get used to being held and a weird metal thing going after her fingers. Personally I made a mistake in clipping one kitten early but not his sister, so the one is fine with me clipping his nails but the other absolutely will not tolerate it.

Also kitten claws are like freaking daggers. If not now, then soon.

Alright, thanks. I'll look up some tutorials and buy the tool. She's extremely good about not getting us with her nails, it's only ever happened when she's going after a toy but hits our legs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trimming is good to get them used to the process because at some point in their life you'll have to be able to do it, but if the nails don't bother you there's no health reason to trim them.

Like, I only trim the nails of one of our cats because she loves to knead on my forearm and I get tired of her cutting me up. The other one is super responsible with her claws so I let her go all natural.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

She often uses her cardboard scratch thing, will that end up sorta dulling/trimming her nails also?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Scratching often has the opposite effect of sharpening them, like sliding a knife against a whetstone. Let's say it's no substitute for periodic clipping.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

She often uses her cardboard scratch thing, will that end up sorta dulling/trimming her nails also?

It won't dull them at all, that's how cats keep their nails sharp. Their claws are kind of like a stack of paper cups, they claw things to peel off the outermost layer and reveal a fresh sharp nail underneath.

So yeah untrimmed nails will get quite long and pointy. But if the cat doesn't make a habit of turning you into hamburger there's no requirement to trim them. They're self maintaining (except for very old cats, they tend to do their nails less and they get extremely thick and gross so it's good practice to help them with a trimming).

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Favorite self-play toys? I got this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DT2WL26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PSFWGNAAQ6RX27N7ZDYX and Latte absolutely loves it. I want a few more toys she can entertain herself with for when she gets bored of this one.

So far her favorite thing in the world is a simple twist tie. Maybe I don’t need to spend any money!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We bought that pyramid ball track and it got about 15 minutes of use before it was never touched again.

The bog standard purple ball track with a scratch pad in the middle still sees occasional use.. they loved it as kittens but now that they're 4 years old they only smack the ball when they're extremely bored. The most successful self-entertainment toys we've found is a ripple rug and 1 inch tinsel balls with the tinsel pulled out. Smaller tinsel balls are a no-no because they can swallow them. The cool cyber cats deer fur mice are pretty popular too. The buffalo fur ones are bottom tier but still see action. One or two kick sticks are useful to have around too.

But it always depends on the cat, each one will have their own favorites so get used to trying random poo poo for a few years and regretting the decision because kitty doesn't care.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Rabbit hide with fur is the best and longest-lasting self-play toy we ever found for our cat. Wrestle it, toss it in the air, sneak attack, etc.

Even though she doesn't play with it now due to arthritis, she has brought it to one of her nesting locations for snuggles. In old age, her enemy has become a friend.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Max has never needed her nails trimmed, weirdly enough. She's very conscious of them and hits the scratcher regularly. I check on her whenever I do Sam but she's always fine. Sam will start sticking to the rugs if I don't trim him once a month or so. I can always tell when he's due for a trim by the sound of him walking on the rugs. (They both knead but Max will knead with no claws and Sam kneads like he's slicing french fries so that's another reason.)

If you're going to trim nails make sure to get a real claw trimmer, (looks like a pair of scissors with a funny C-shaped tip) don't just try to use regular scissors or something you have around the house. They're less than ten dollars and very, very worth.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Went to the vet today for the first time with Quill, she had negative blood tests for feline aids and leukemia, and both of the shots (the mandatory + the optional), had her inspected and she got a clean bill of health.

Hearing her in the next room as they did all that stuff was one of the more upsetting things to me in years, I knew it was all in the plan but hearing her mewling as they did it really broke my heart and comforting her after in the carrier as she looked at me was really rough. I knew I really cared for this cat but I didn't realize it was like this already. I don't understand how anyone could work in animal care - I work in human healthcare in the acute care areas and have seen the worst imaginable stuff and none of it has really made me this upset which is crazy.

mistaya posted:

Max has never needed her nails trimmed, weirdly enough. She's very conscious of them and hits the scratcher regularly. I check on her whenever I do Sam but she's always fine. Sam will start sticking to the rugs if I don't trim him once a month or so. I can always tell when he's due for a trim by the sound of him walking on the rugs. (They both knead but Max will knead with no claws and Sam kneads like he's slicing french fries so that's another reason.)

If you're going to trim nails make sure to get a real claw trimmer, (looks like a pair of scissors with a funny C-shaped tip) don't just try to use regular scissors or something you have around the house. They're less than ten dollars and very, very worth.

Yeah I had a dog before this, will definitely get the right thing. Mostly that dog's nails were fine because she was on the pavement enough which is why I asked if the scratching would dull her nails.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

VelociBacon posted:

Went to the vet today for the first time with Quill, she had negative blood tests for feline aids and leukemia, and both of the shots (the mandatory + the optional), had her inspected and she got a clean bill of health.

Hearing her in the next room as they did all that stuff was one of the more upsetting things to me in years, I knew it was all in the plan but hearing her mewling as they did it really broke my heart and comforting her after in the carrier as she looked at me was really rough. I knew I really cared for this cat but I didn't realize it was like this already. I don't understand how anyone could work in animal care - I work in human healthcare in the acute care areas and have seen the worst imaginable stuff and none of it has really made me this upset which is crazy.

I did a foster-to-adopt with my fat cat. Within the first few days of him being in my house, I booked a spa appointment for him. He was pretty gross, he was rescued from a hoarding situation. Once the groomers took him to the back and told me to come back in 30 mins, I wanted to linger, just in case? is my baby ok? what if he needs me? I felt like what parents must feel on the first day of school.

Weird and fascinating how fast attachments with animals form. :3:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For me it's that fear that the cat thinks we're abandoning them to a mean stranger.

It's like when you have to give a cat medicine in uncomfortable ways and you're worried they think you're betraying them... Like, "I wish I could explain this to you please don't hate me!!"

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, my cat really hates having her butthole touched, so when the vet goes to take her temperature or do something to her glands there she mewls really pitifully and it breaks my heart. Poor little cat, it's for your own good.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Normally when I take my cats for a checkup at the vet I go in the room with them and hold them while the vet does their inspections/injections/thermometer-up-the-butt business. I get covered in stress-shedding but I think it helps the cats stay relatively calm. What I didn't realise until COVID was that it helps me too because having to hand them over and stay out of the room had me a nervous wreck, pacing and trying to peer through the window to see what was going on. My babies :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

effika posted:

Rabbit hide with fur is the best and longest-lasting self-play toy we ever found for our cat. Wrestle it, toss it in the air, sneak attack, etc.

Even though she doesn't play with it now due to arthritis, she has brought it to one of her nesting locations for snuggles. In old age, her enemy has become a friend.

Both of mine love these drat plastic springs and we find them all over the house when they are done playing with them they also love to play “fetch” with them.

Tamu style Cat Spring Toys (15 Pack), Plastic Coils for Indoor Active Healthy Play, Colorful 2 Inch Spirals https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08P6Y67R7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KGRMWTTGN344EPDPRHWQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Best $6 I’ve spent on toys for them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’ve never had a dog but I imagine they understand “I’m doing this because I love you” way, way more than cats do.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

durrneez posted:

I did a foster-to-adopt with my fat cat. Within the first few days of him being in my house, I booked a spa appointment for him. He was pretty gross, he was rescued from a hoarding situation. Once the groomers took him to the back and told me to come back in 30 mins, I wanted to linger, just in case? is my baby ok? what if he needs me? I felt like what parents must feel on the first day of school.

Weird and fascinating how fast attachments with animals form. :3:

This reminds me of the situation with Fartie. When we got her from my wife's friend, it was a foster to get her cleaned up and vet-cleared before attempting to adopt her out. She was shoehorned into a single-cat home previously, after an already lovely situation with fairly neglectful owners. With my wife's friend, she pretty much lived in a single room with the cheapest food and the cheapest litter that could be acquired. Absolutely beautiful tortoiseshell cat, but when my wife went to pick her up...well.

The carrier was like a comet with a coma of stench like she ate, slept, and lived in the damned litterbox. I went in our bedroom after my wife spent a few minutes cleaning her up and the cat had stunk up the whole room. After about half an hour with the furminator and shampoo, she didn't smell so bad anymore.

We're coming up on a year and a half now since we took her in. Pics will come at some point. She's ours now. Officially, her name is Havarti...because we're not having a vet call for "Fartie", dammit. She's kinda nasty to the other cats, but if they give her a wide enough berth she's okay. Adores hanging out on my daughter's bed. I think I'm her favorite, she follows me around sometimes and bitches at me for pets and attention.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aw the vaccines hit her hard. She didn't really eat dinner last night and it's 9AM today and she hasn't had anything either. She's been curled up in her favorite spot (that laundry bin). Letting her rest and keeping an eye on her in case she needs some help getting out of the bin to have some food/water.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Any advice on getting an adult cat in a harness? Former outdoor cat so he's been missing going out but seems to haaaate putting on a harness, not sure how to get him into the idea.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

She's starting to get a bit more active, looking around and stuff. She still hasn't eaten or drank anything, now it's 1:30pm. She last had food/water around 7pm yesterday. I know animals don't seek out food when they're not feeling well, just wondering what to expect here. Is she going to not eat for 2 days or something because that's going to gently caress with me. She also hasn't been moving basically at all, doesn't seem to want to walk. She's moving herself around in bed but not walking around.

WombatCyborg posted:

Any advice on getting an adult cat in a harness? Former outdoor cat so he's been missing going out but seems to haaaate putting on a harness, not sure how to get him into the idea.

I would think as soon as they start to associate the harness with being able to go outside again they'll grow to like it? I dunno I'm cat-new.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just leave food and water accessible at all times. It’s normal for shots to make them really tired for a day or two.

If you have kitten treats that she goes nuts for, you can give her one and watch her eat it. It’ll calm you knowing she physically can eat and doesn’t throw it up or something.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 27, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

She's eating now! Yay.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

WombatCyborg posted:

I clicker trained my cats to get used to it. If you don’t have a clicker, let them smell the harness, gib treat; put the harness on their body, gib treat; basically take baby steps until they get comfortable enough with the harness so that you can put it on them and gib treat—and gib kiss :3:

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I took our cat to the vet today for the first time since her rage incidents/ bladder stones last year and wow it did not go well. She really hates the folks there, put up with a brief exam until the stethoscope came out then lost it. They managed to bribe her with a treat enough to get one shot in her, but she wasn't letting them get her with the second or draw blood. I now have to drug her with gabapentin and come back in a week to try again.

Happy as can be when we got home, even went and slept in her carrier but murderous towards the vets.

She really prefers men, so I might switch from the all female staffed practice she currently goes to. Weird reason to leave a vet, but it might help?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Katya has, so far, not had a lot of reaction to vaccinations and does well at the vet. He does get super clingly and cuddly once we get home, which is nice. We go in on Monday for more vaccines and to get him scheduled to get neutered since he'll be just about 20 weeks by the end of September.

Such a good baby, even when he's planning to attack my feet later when I walk by.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It's always amusing for me to hear stories like that, Jackie's basically the opposite. Every vet I've taken her to has been floored at how incredibly relaxed and chilled out she is, they barely have to restrain or hold her even when they give her a shot. It's kinda neat, she's always been a uniquely chill cat when it comes to dealing with strangers or stressful situations. But she doesn't like the things that happen eventually at the vet, like shots and whatnot, and she makes this very clear to me when we get home.

Rather than being happy and thrilled to be back home, Jackie's almost always pissy and angry and grouchy towards me, uncharacteristically so. Last week after we got back from the vet, she spurned my bed that night and was actually GROWLING at me when I was trying to be nice to her! Clearly she was making some sort of point. A couple days later and she was back to her cuddly, velcro-cat self.

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

We've had three very different kitties with regards to vet visits.

Our tortie, Jasmine, is... psycho. But that's expected of a tortie, and we always apologize to the vets beforehand. "Sorry, she's a tortie, she's broken." and they go "Oh you GET it!" We've warned vets not to take her temperature because she gets violent. "Good to know!" as the thermometer goes away... At least she gives plenty of warning. She slapped the crap out of a vet who goes, "Does she have claws?" "Oh yes, but she's trying to get you to leave her alone before she moves to murder."

Our youngest, a chonky blue kitty, Lynn... Well, I warned them twice that she would be a little grumpy. She doesn't like being handled unless it's on her terms. Voicemail from the vet, "We wanted to check her teeth but she expressed her opinion on that. Strongly." When we went to pick her up, the door opened and we heard a strange sound. Thought it was a car going by on the road. The sound continued all the way to the car, when the vet tech lifted up the carrier and we realized it was Lynn growling non-stop to the point she didn't take a breath. "Here's your bundle of joy!" Clearly, she made an impression.

And then there was Sandy. Sandy was a toothless old man orange and white cat, dumb as a brick, who showed up mostly starved and bearing the scars of a coyote fight one day. (Side note: I would like 5 minutes alone with whoever abandoned a toothless 16+ year old cat in the country...) Toward the end of his life, he fought a series of ear infections. We took him to the vet, and he disappeared into the back room for a long time. Like, a really long time. We were really antsy when the vet tech finally brought him back. She said, "Sorry about the wait! We were cleaning his ears and he was purring. We've never had a cat do that. We had to bring everyone in to see him purring while we cleaned his ears." She told us bad behavior gets patients a red sticker (pretty sure both our girls have one...) but that she needed to add a new category, a green sticker, just for Sandy.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Max is pretty chill at the vet, she doesn't like the thermometer (no one likes the thermometer) but otherwise is fine. She'll get out of the carrier and explore the room with her tail up, the vet is just another human to elicit pets from, it's whatever. She HATES HATES HATES the car ride though so we get the song of her people all the way to the vet and back. :catstare:

Sam used to just squish down and hide in the carrier until removed, freeze until it was over, and then go back in and shiver until we got home... Until he got his tooth infection last year. Then he vocally meowed the entire way to the vet, was vocally meowing when we picked him up, and according to the text on his report: "wow he's a talker isn't he?" because apparently he just meowed non stop until they knocked him out for the dental, then meowed from the point he was conscious until they handed him back to us.

It's just so funny to me because when we first got him as a 1 year old adult from the shelter they said "you probably won't hear him for a few days" and he was the quietest cat I'd ever seen before, basically for the first five or so years we had him he was very cuddly with a loud purr but that was it, and then one day he started talking, decided he liked it, and became the most vocal old man cat.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My current foster cat started grooming the vet when he went for a blood test. He purred loudly throughout the entire encounter. He's hands-down the most affectionate cat I've ever met so it's nothing special about the vet. Rather than growl or twitch his tail, when he's had enough affection he will gently place his paw on your hand and push you away.

It's a real shame he and my actual cat don't get along.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We had two succulents on a shelf. I noticed this morning that we now have one succulent and one pot that previously held a succulent.

No idea where the other is :iiam:

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Butters has a bit of a rep at the vet, apparently he's the only cat they've seen that goes for pets even whilst currently getting a shot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Question - with the deworming liquid on the back of the neck, how long are you supposed to leave that on for? It's just dried on there and I don't see it coming off naturally unless we wash it off. It was Profender if that makes a difference? I'm not super bothered by it and I want her to get a full dose, we just weren't told anything about what to do with the stuff.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

VelociBacon posted:

Question - with the deworming liquid on the back of the neck, how long are you supposed to leave that on for? It's just dried on there and I don't see it coming off naturally unless we wash it off. It was Profender if that makes a difference? I'm not super bothered by it and I want her to get a full dose, we just weren't told anything about what to do with the stuff.

It's supposed to go against the skin and under the fur so it gets absorbed. If you just put it on top, then it'll just be crusty for a bit and go away. It'll always look slick after applying but dissipate in a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boogalo posted:

It's supposed to go against the skin and under the fur so it gets absorbed. If you just put it on top, then it'll just be crusty for a bit and go away. It'll always look slick after applying but dissipate in a few hours.

The vet put it on but there was a very new/green vet assistant helping, I'm wondering if she hosed up. Its definitely on the fur...

http://imgur.com/a/iskfuWT

Sorry phone posting but that's a photo.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 29, 2021