Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

wiegieman posted:

I'm finding it intensely amusing that the Skyrim mod scene has followed the exact same trajectory with respect to mod packs as the Minecraft scene did. Bitching and moaning by a small clique of prima donnas, who immediately became completely irrelevant because everyone wants mod packs.

I've been playing a lot of Rimworld lately and it's really incredible how different the modding community is vs Skyrim's. A big update came out recently for Rimworld and it broke basically all the mods. Tons got updated very quickly, but many didn't, and so people simply adopted them and posted a link to the updated version on the original's page. No drama at all, it's highly encouraged to take someone's mod and tweak it so long as you give credit. There's even a reupload template. I'm glad Skyrim is finally getting to that point, but drat it took a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

The mod pack included TUDM, so I can only assume it included nemesis. Do you think it would hurt anything if installed/reinstalled it?

In general adding/removing/reinstalling anything in a modlist has a decent chance of breaking things, so it's not usually recommended unless you know what you're doing and can fix any issues/conflicts yourself. There are support channels on the Wabbajack and Elysium Discords, those are likely your best bet to get this working. I can't speak for Elysium since I've never tried it, but the QWEST discord had a whole essay about how to get controllers working, it wouldn't surprise me if Elysium had something similar.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gyoru posted:

Dodge mods
I recommend TUDM

Thank you all! Gonna mess around with this. Going to try with Directional Movement+TUDM plus the nemesis stuff and see how it goes

Edit: Installed a bunch of mods:

Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch
Customizable camera
Elder Souls (animation collection)
SPERG+Skyrim Skill Uncapper
True Directional Movement
The Ultimate Dodge Mod

Along with the usual SKSE64 and other needed files for the previous mods and some QoL like Rich Merchants, SkyUI, Quality World Map...

Seems to work and nothing crashes... yet. It's not a big list of mods and nothing really in the graphical side of things, just gameplay improvements.

Thanks again! Going to mess around with a controller this time.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2021

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

That's actually why I'm posting right now. I'm sick at home playing Skyrim and I'm currently in the "live another life" character creation room and I don't understand how to dodge. Has anyone ever used The Ultimate Dodge before?

Hey, uh just checking... have you tested it outside the Lal character creation room? cos TUDM straight up doesn't work in there for some reason far beyond me.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Why is this thread so high up. Did they design a new way to gently caress the hermaeus mora

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

Why is this thread so high up. Did they design a new way to gently caress the hermaeus mora

Yes but also a lot of other good mods and mod packs are coming out that has reinvigorated skyrim playthroughs.

Also probably covid again.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Thank you all! Gonna mess around with this. Going to try with Directional Movement+TUDM plus the nemesis stuff and see how it goes

Edit: Installed a bunch of mods:

Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch
Customizable camera
Elder Souls (animation collection)
SPERG+Skyrim Skill Uncapper
True Directional Movement
The Ultimate Dodge Mod

Along with the usual SKSE64 and other needed files for the previous mods and some QoL like Rich Merchants, SkyUI, Quality World Map...

Seems to work and nothing crashes... yet. It's not a big list of mods and nothing really in the graphical side of things, just gameplay improvements.

Thanks again! Going to mess around with a controller this time.

Looks like you're aiming for basically what this guy runs with, based on the mods you have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPB_OjDwxnw

might want to look into his mod list and see if anything else strikes you. i suspect he's using sekiro combat as well, which honestly would work pretty well for this kind of setup

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I downloaded the Elysium mod pack from Wabbajack, which says it's difficulty is somewhere between Vanilla Skyrim and Reqium. It includes the "The Ultimate Dodge" mod, which gives you a dark souls-style dodge with i-frames.

That's actually why I'm posting right now. I'm sick at home playing Skyrim and I'm currently in the "live another life" character creation room and I don't understand how to dodge. Has anyone ever used The Ultimate Dodge before?

Also, I ran into the same problem in the Elysium mod pack as in Serenity; I had to install that custom controller mapping mod to unbind R3 so that I could then assign that to my target lock for True Directional Movement. Likewise, the page for that controller mod also mentions that it unbinds B specifically for a dodge mod, but I don't see where in the MCM I can assign the key.

This video below shows the character dodging around, I don't know if maybe I have to just, like, hold block and jump. I don't have a weapon right now so I can't block, maybe that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87bOONboaiE

Edit:

I see it now, there's a note in the MCM that says the "sneak" key in the vanilla menu is actually the dodge key.

Edit: Ffffuck the controller mod I installed reserved the B button, but I still need it for the lock out.

You can't dodge in the live another life character starting cell room. It's disabled in there, choose your actual start at the statue of mara and then sleep in the bed and you'll be able to dodge.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I would kill for a UI overhaul like this, I think this was just made as a proof of concept but man it would be fantastic. I can see some issues with it just because Skyrim ahs a lot more item bloat than BotW does, but what a nice menu this would be.

https://www.beckyschmader.com/skyrim-ui

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

I would kill for a UI overhaul like this, I think this was just made as a proof of concept but man it would be fantastic. I can see some issues with it just because Skyrim ahs a lot more item bloat than BotW does, but what a nice menu this would be.

https://www.beckyschmader.com/skyrim-ui

That spell list looks like a nightmare "here is a full screen of identical swirly particle effects with no name"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That spell list looks like a nightmare "here is a full screen of identical swirly particle effects with no name"

With distinctive icons it could work pretty well though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raygereio posted:

With distinctive icons it could work pretty well though.

I need spell names, especially since almost everyone who would use this mod would also use mods that drastically change the spells in game.

Breath of the Wilds system works because of weapon breakage and only having a handful of spells.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Guess I need to start a new game of Skyrim again. Elysium just came out with a huge update, most notably all the interior mods from JK series and the Lux lighting overhaul. Changelog here.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

ihatepants posted:

Guess I need to start a new game of Skyrim again. Elysium just came out with a huge update, most notably all the interior mods from JK series and the Lux lighting overhaul. Changelog here.

Yup, just saw that. Downloading now lol

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I will always recommend this preset for racemenu because it makes me laugh so much

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/86658

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

I will always recommend this preset for racemenu because it makes me laugh so much

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/86658

Why the HELL is there an alligator in here?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
After all that complaining and troubleshooting I ended up switching back the Reqiuem mod pack called Serenity and disregarding dodging entirely. I am, however, still using True Directional Movement and am playing through the game for the first time in third person with a game pad. Honestly, it's not as impossible as I thought it would be to play Reqiuem with a gamepad; the melee combat may be less precise, but once you get a few perk points in block you can just do that.

I'm currently level 6 and trying Bleakfall Barrows, I can handle invidual Draugur without much trouble but we'll see how I deal with the larger groups and, god help me, the main chamber.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How do the mod packs go about changing character models, do they turn them all into barbie dolls or do they do better?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a LOT of things that change character models but probably 80% of them are people that really want to gently caress or be hosed by their characters.

Here is the "Bodies, Face, and Hair" category on nexus (do not look at this at work this is almost all nude): https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/categories/26/

here is "Models and Textures" which is a more general category for all game models: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/categories/29/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

Looks like you're aiming for basically what this guy runs with, based on the mods you have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPB_OjDwxnw

might want to look into his mod list and see if anything else strikes you. i suspect he's using sekiro combat as well, which honestly would work pretty well for this kind of setup

Going to check it out thanks!

My setup is close but still very vanilla. I want to try one of these modpacks some day, installed wabbajack or whatever is called.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

I've been playing a lot of Rimworld lately and it's really incredible how different the modding community is vs Skyrim's. A big update came out recently for Rimworld and it broke basically all the mods. Tons got updated very quickly, but many didn't, and so people simply adopted them and posted a link to the updated version on the original's page. No drama at all, it's highly encouraged to take someone's mod and tweak it so long as you give credit. There's even a reupload template. I'm glad Skyrim is finally getting to that point, but drat it took a decade.

Skyrim modding is not going towards this though. Just because mod authors can't take their own mods on Nexus down anymore, doesn't mean that someone can reupload someone else's work without permission.

In fact, Skyrim modding is going the opposite direction. The Nexus business model disincentives mod authors from doing this, because mod authors won't want those downloads going to other uploaders.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Yeah, what you really want is for your mod to be a dependency in a bunch of other popular mods.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Exactly. Also, being part of popular Wabbajack modpacks or collections is extremely valuable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Gadfly posted:

Exactly. Also, being part of popular Wabbajack modpacks or collections is extremely valuable.

How? I don't rate mods in general, but if I did I wouldn't go through and up vote every mod in a massive pack that I liked. I guess it juices your numbers for "most popular" and especially if you sort by "unique downloads" but Wabbajack lists are hundreds of mods long, so if you're not massively popular outside of a wabbajack that just puts you in the top several hundred mods.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
If you look at Nexus' policies, unique downloads are what really matter. Wabbajack uses Nexus' API so unique downloads are tracked in the same way between downloading a mod via a browser or Wabbajack. Ratings are nice, but only really useful in ultimately increasing unique downloads.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also you can't advertise your patreon on someone elses list

people will start to do in game adverts, which will be weaker (can't just click on a link) so they'll get pretty intrusive I bet

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also you can't advertise your patreon on someone elses list

people will start to do in game adverts, which will be weaker (can't just click on a link) so they'll get pretty intrusive I bet

:cripes: I can see the courier notes now...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

That mailbox mod accidentally breaking mod added courier notes becomes a feature and not a bug.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, does anyone have any experience with the Static Skill Leveling mod? I'm currently level 11 and I seem to have run into a bug. I can't raise certain skills by more than one more point, and other skills at all, and yet other skills aren't effected at all. When I can't raise the skills, I get a pop up that says "you need to level up before you can raise this skill further". I had skill raises per level un capped, but also tried changing them to 10 points. I'm about to restart Skyrim and see if that helps.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, does anyone have any experience with the Static Skill Leveling mod? I'm currently level 11 and I seem to have run into a bug. I can't raise certain skills by more than one more point, and other skills at all, and yet other skills aren't effected at all. When I can't raise the skills, I get a pop up that says "you need to level up before you can raise this skill further". I had skill raises per level un capped, but also tried changing them to 10 points. I'm about to restart Skyrim and see if that helps.

You might have a separate mod that caps your skill levels based on your experience level. I know Elysium has this, for example, so that you can’t just power level smithing or whatever to 100 without getting your character level up first. I started a new character the other day and I couldn’t get alchemy above 30 at level 5, for example. Once I hit level 6, it let me get it up to 32.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a good guess, and maybe some like that is going wrong, but I'm level 11 and can't raise skills of all kinds of levels, 5, 10, 25; seems to be random. Also I can raise some 1 point and others not at all, and still others as much as I want. Restarting Skyrim doesn't seem to have fixed it.

Reloading the game didn't fix the issue; I could go back to previous saves but if it's gaining a level that did it, ugh, that was a while ago because I had to both level and then sleep, which doesn't happen often in this play through.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Static Skill Levelling is designed to work with (but doesn't require) Experience, which in addition to giving XP based on things other than raising your skills, caps how high you can raise a skill based on your level. If you're using a modpack, check to see if Experience is included.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm taking a break right now. I've made the bold (foolish) decision to push forward and see if the issue is fixed the next time I gain a level. But I don't overwrite saves so I can go back the other way if I have to, though I'm not sure how much I'll want to..

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Experience is pretty solid, forces you to go places and do things to actually get skill points. A weird side effect is getting XP from books so you basically just read every book you find, hopefully you’re using the “Unread Books Glow” mod

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

This seems like a good time to note that my first time peeking into the mod author's forum was spotting an enormous thread where the most toxic posters were trying to come up with some way to make players agree to a custom TOS in the game itself via a pop-up book or something (and, it being meant for custom TOS for each creator using it, there would, presumably, be multiple pop ups depending on how many of those mods were in the load order). If you didn't hit the agree button, it was supposed to dump you to desktop.

I got dogpiled for like thirty pages when I made a politely worded post saying that players would despise this, was probably against Nexus rules, and it would get modded out immediately.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

kartikeya posted:

This seems like a good time to note that my first time peeking into the mod author's forum was spotting an enormous thread where the most toxic posters were trying to come up with some way to make players agree to a custom TOS in the game itself via a pop-up book or something (and, it being meant for custom TOS for each creator using it, there would, presumably, be multiple pop ups depending on how many of those mods were in the load order). If you didn't hit the agree button, it was supposed to dump you to desktop.

I got dogpiled for like thirty pages when I made a politely worded post saying that players would despise this, was probably against Nexus rules, and it would get modded out immediately.

Modders. Modders never change.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My first "mod Author forum" thread was a "stupid questions from users" and, yeah, players can be dumb, but that's why you put up a FAQ and just ignore dumb questions.

My favorite mod author forum thread was the one about Bethesdas first attempt at paid mods, where Arthmoor admitted to being broke and unemployed. :discourse:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I always forget I have access to that forum and can go read it. I should go peruse the last few months for any hilarity, I'm sure it won't be hard to find.

e: lmao it wasn't hard to find at all

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
There's a very good reason mod creators really don't like the nexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thumbtacks posted:

There's a very good reason mod creators really don't like the nexus

I like it fine! ...I pay no attention to the mod forums and I don't do stupid poo poo. Works great.