Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
there were provinces in india that were losing 5k/day, much less the entire country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Zokari posted:

india topped out at about 5k deaths per day and theyre a much more populated much less vaccinated country

Not sure how you're getting this math when the true death total for India is likely closer to 4 million, which would put the death total over two months closer to 60k a day.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Epic High Five posted:

yeah it's great, there's literally as much evidence to support this as there is Wuhan lab leak and it's even more plausible considering like every single pandemic in history started because of military movements

I bring it up anyone does the China bit
It always posses them off.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Louisgod posted:

Not sure how you're getting this math when the true death total for India is likely closer to 4 million, which would put the death total over two months closer to 60k a day.

60k deaths a day would be the average number of deaths, not the peak. it's a gaussian not a flat line number of deaths each day

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Don't want your kids getting sick? Homeschool them and work from home. Single parent household and the little shits keep acting up when you're trying to work? Keep them updated on COVID until they're too traumatized to run around.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

whatever

as doomer as i am i dont buy that the media could continue to ignore a death count 15 times higher than the previous peak

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Zokari seems to be working off the assumption that everyone (except china) is telling the truth.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Stereotype posted:

60k deaths a day would be the average number of deaths, not the peak. it's a gaussian not a flat line number of deaths each day

ah yeah I was definitely averaging things out but even then, 60k+ deaths a day is mindboggling.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zokari posted:

whatever

as doomer as i am i dont buy that the media could continue to ignore a death count 15 times higher than the previous peak

you ain’t doomer lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Zokari posted:

whatever

i'm a bit of a loving idiot myself

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zokari posted:

whatever

what anybody thinks doesn't matter, there's a reason only cranks use reported figures to determine death tolls from pandemics instead of above-expected death counts

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gravybong posted:

so I got my 2nd moderna on April 15th (so did my mom). I teach kids in a small setting, no more than three kids in my room at a time. always masked. I live in MA.

should I go for the 3rd now so I have two weeks of boosted titers before schools really start, or do I wait til late sept/early oct when it’s six months from my second to get even larger titers?

Get it now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Zokari posted:

whatever

i'm not saying they'll ignore it. you're right, they won't be able to. that doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Zokari seems to be working off the assumption that everyone (except china) is telling the truth.

??? not sure where you got the idea i think china is lying

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

many such cases!

Iverron
May 13, 2012

RE: India, hospital collapse is wild

if Ida hits as a Cat 3/4? lmao Louisiana

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gravybong posted:

so I got my 2nd moderna on April 15th (so did my mom). I teach kids in a small setting, no more than three kids in my room at a time. always masked. I live in MA.

should I go for the 3rd now so I have two weeks of boosted titers before schools really start, or do I wait til late sept/early oct when it’s six months from my second to get even larger titers?

If you can, get it now. I'm waiting until my spouse gets into town so I don't have to belly drag myself across the farm for 96 hours trembling and barfing everywhere like shot 2 did to me. I'm April 20th and getting mine Sept 7th.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://cgdev.org/publication/three-new-estimates-indias-all-cause-excess-mortality-during-covid-19-pandemic

morgues that reported hundreds of deaths when interviewed by the news would also see their death counts in the dozens in the official govt death tolls

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

covidactnow.org

My county goes "dried blood" red :(
lol maine gettin got

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Zokari posted:

whatever

They did in India. Go back in this thread during their delta surge. On the ground reporters were showing hundreds of obits in newspapers daily.

Edit: I was giving you poo poo and Stereotype is broken.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stereotype posted:

no they didn't. they topped out at like 250k deaths a day. they are reporting a tiny fraction of the number of deaths.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...the-official-co

if you renormalize india's deaths graph on worldometers so that the total integrated deaths is 4m you get a peak of 250k a day. india is only 4x the size of the USA

Worldo has India's peak at slightly below 5,000 per day. Given the 1:10 undercount, that puts their death rate around 50,000 per day. Am I missing something?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
being unable to realistically imagine something because of how catastrophically it would destroy society isn't an argument for it not happening. if in march 2020 you told people that a million americans would be dead in the next 18 months people would call you insane because it seems like such an incomprehensibly large number. it turns out people just aren't imaginative enough.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stereotype posted:

being unable to realistically imagine something because of how catastrophically it would destroy society isn't an argument for it not happening. if in march 2020 you told people that a million americans would be dead in the next 18 months people would call you insane because it seems like such an incomprehensibly large number. it turns out people just aren't imaginative enough.

why the hypothetical, people said exactly that here in March 2020 and were called insane for saying it

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Zokari posted:

whatever

it was reported by pretty much every news outlet that India's death toll was in the millions. even AP News had it https://apnews.com/article/business-science-health-india-pandemics-334c326d86efa73a0631bf7cb6e3f92e

and nobody cared

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Zokari posted:

whatever

I'm pretty convinced 50% of the entire population of the United States could drop dead and the wheels of capitalism will be turning smooth as butter because as it turns out blood makes a great lubricant

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In March 2020 people making accurate predictions got probations for doomerism in D&D

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Lacrosse posted:

I'm pretty convinced 50% of the entire population of the United States could drop dead and the wheels of capitalism will be turning smooth as butter because as it turns out blood makes a great lubricant

depends which half

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

An entire generation of kids is going to die, with the survivors suffering from lifelong disabilities, all because their parents don't want to take the time to raise them.

To be fair some of the parents can't due to their own work and the cost of child care so it falls, as it always has, onto educators to pick up the slack. What gets me is none of the schools I service are even pretending there's a pandemic loving up the entire health care system. I thought I had crack pinged last year but I guess there are levels.

My nf95 is working hard, thank you.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Lacrosse posted:

Lots of good salvageable organs there (maybe not lungs)

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

nevermind people already said this

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

Any goons in illinois have had success on getting a 3rd shot, despite not being eligible?

illinois state health dept made it so the general public can't get a booster until sept 20 and they have to be 8 months post-2nd shot. I think I read here that 4 months is good for a moderna booster.
so, fake name? and walk into a pharmacy? they dont ask for ID?

I know i keep butting in here with questions that were answered pages and pages ago, but I don't keep up with the forums anymore. Just tryin to help a friend get their booster.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Portland (/ˈpɔːrtlənd/, PORT-lənd) is the largest and most populous city in the U.S. state of Oregon and the seat of Multnomah County. It is a major port in the Willamette Valley region of the Pacific Northwest, at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers in Northwestern Oregon. As of 2020, Portland had a population of 652,503,[8] making it the 25th-most populated city in the United States, the sixth-most populous on the West Coast, and the second-most populous in the Pacific Northwest after Seattle

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saying the same proportion of Americans will die from Delta compared with India doesn't work because 52% of Americans are fully vaccinated, and are largely protected from death (breakthrough deaths among immunocompromised and elderly are expected)

This wave's still going to be huge, and I would think much larger than the previous peak in America

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stereotype posted:

i think it has to do with the idea that in a post world war II society everything was supposed to be stabilized. the whole nuclear family model originated from this kind of rabid push to demand it along with the myriad of racism etc that shaped the agenda

now as that mystique gets washed away because things were always unstable globally as things are wont to be transient in that kind of nature. I think it's just a force of habit on Americans part because they've been largely insular even before World War II, i.e. "it can't happen here." 9/11 just reinvigorated the whole oh ya, good thing we have 800 mil bases worldwide im all of a sudden very interested in foreign policy to do a racism about it but now there's trouble at home again as that shitshow recedes.

COVID is poking holes in every bit of that white supremacy colonial settlerism facade that should've been relegated to the dustbin in the 20th century and now is dealing with growing pains in the 21st

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 27, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chamale posted:

Worldo has India's peak at slightly below 5,000 per day. Given the 1:10 undercount, that puts their death rate around 50,000 per day. Am I missing something?

i'm assuming the bulk of the undercount is during their most recent wave. accurate counting really only falls apart when things are insanely overwhelmed. so instead of just multiplying everything by 10 i assumed that the bulk of the 4m was in that wave, which means you have to scale it by more like 20.

so i guess they probably had a peak of more like 100k a day, not 250k a day. my bad. that's still 25k a day if you scale it to the population of the US

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RadDickOwl posted:

Any goons in illinois have had success on getting a 3rd shot, despite not being eligible?

illinois state dept made it so the general public can't get a booster until sept 20 and they have to be 8 months post-2nd shot. I think I read here that 4 months is good for a moderna booster.
so, fake name? and walk into a pharmacy? they dont ask for ID?

I know i keep butting in here with questions that were answered pages and pages ago, but I don't keep up with the forums anymore. Just tryin to help a friend get their booster.

Walmart pharmacies have a high success rate because they don't give a poo poo. Avoid CVS. Max Titers be with you.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
200k for this surge seemed sane a month or so back but now seems maybe wildly optimistic - especially if a Cat 3/4 hits a totally plagued NO while the hospitals are full.

I don't think we can post India-style mega-numbers like 60K+ a day, I think we cap out on everything reported and poo poo falls apart well before that.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

not buying it, barring some sort of variant thats as infectious as delta and also not resisted by the vaccines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

The day that America hits 3 million Covid deaths will be the day the stock market hits a new record high.