Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So uh a category 4 hurricane is going to ream new orleans this weekend and hospitals in the whole region are already maxed out.

This is it right? like the ultimate fuckin nightmare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Golli posted:

if you’re looking for free lawyers you may be out of luck given the time constraints.

Paid lawyers - could just be a matter of googling and hoping for the best in terms of quality-again due to time constraints. presumably he will need to be conscious and “decisional” for it to be valid.

Not looking for free, but even paid are apparently hard to contact.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pittsburgh-area sites are in Pittsburgh

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

silicone thrills posted:

So uh a category 4 hurricane is going to ream new orleans this weekend and hospitals in the whole region are already maxed out.

the ultimate nightmare would be forcing children to spend another school year away from the smiling faces of all their surviving friends and teachers

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Oh and the whole "vaping is destroying lungs" thing happened about the same time. Fort Detrick is one of the super biolevel labs where the US experiments on and houses all kinds of nasty diseases, coronaviruses among them

I'm really not against the idea that fort detrick had something to do with it, I mean, I can't know but I don't think it's too unbelievable.

But i am curious about the Vape part of that theory. The US had a shitload of bad black market carts around that time, and then I assume people got scared and it died down? It would make sense.
The peak of Vaping Lung disease cases or whatever, ended too abruptly to fit an airborne virus that grows exponentially, and nobody there would have thought to wear appropriate PPE around some vape induced lung diseased kid. Of course, nobody who doesn't vape would be added to those stats, so I'm not dismissing it by saying that.
But because nobody suspected it was something contagious, if it was actually covid, you'd expect an increase in pneumonia and "flu like illness" around there during that time, so it'd be cool to have such data to compare the vape thing with.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

silicone thrills posted:

time for brunch

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

Pittsburgh-area sites are in Pittsburgh

unfortunate that they have to be IN pittsburgh

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

like a thousand covid people on life support are definitely going to die, but they probably were gonna die anyway.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

If this storm collides with the covid I'm wondering how the states are going to handle domestic refugees

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

euphronius posted:

finally a test for my covid hurricane theory

just page back to this time last year in the old thread when we were making "i want covidcane" gang tags

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't think covid was made in a lab anywhere in the world to be quite honest. however I don't care at all where or how it was made at this point, also

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Schnorkles posted:

time for brunch

*sitting in waist high storm surge poo poo water*

*sips mimosa*

*holds french toast plate carefully*

A body floats by

OPEN BIDEN

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Morbus posted:

Only problem with this theory is it posits that the US had the foresight and competence to suppress the initial domestic outbreaks, only to succumb to the virus after it become widespread elsewhere.

Which, lol, lmao.

they didn't suppress the outbreaks they suppressed the coverage of it lol

RadDickOwl posted:

I'm really not against the idea that fort detrick had something to do with it, I mean, I can't know but I don't think it's too unbelievable.

But i am curious about the Vape part of that theory. The US had a shitload of bad black market carts around that time, and then I assume people got scared and it died down? It would make sense.
The peak of Vaping Lung disease cases or whatever, ended too abruptly to fit an airborne virus that grows exponentially, and nobody there would have thought to wear appropriate PPE around some vape induced lung diseased kid. Of course, nobody who doesn't vape would be added to those stats, so I'm not dismissing it by saying that.
But because nobody suspected it was something contagious, if it was actually covid, you'd expect an increase in pneumonia and "flu like illness" around there during that time, so it'd be cool to have such data to compare the vape thing with.

The vape part is just thrown in there, it has nothing to do with the rest

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Katrina was only cat 4 when it hit Nola right

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 27, 2021

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morbus posted:

Only problem with this theory is it posits that the US had the foresight and competence to suppress the initial domestic outbreaks, only to succumb to the virus after it become widespread elsewhere.

Which, lol, lmao.

Yeah, we can speculate all day about contradictory facts and premises for all of the explanations for the virus' origins. I humbly ask that we don't do this.

There will likely be serious political and scientific consequences when/if the origin of this virus can be determined. In some circumstances, those origins could entail massive death and destruction. Let's not be confidence-men here by being certain of our conclusions without significant evidence.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
In sure Nola learned its lesson and is prepared this time.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Hey check it out I found someone elsewhere that's just as crack-pinged as us. This is just a snip because it's a huge effort-post but here's a preview.

quote:

I'm just really frustrated because it seems like there are few public forums where you can point out that the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission AND an only partially vaccinated population could actually increase the chances of the coronavirus mutating into a variant which makes the vaccine ineffective. With so many people pretending that the vaccine prevents transmission, and with so many others still not caring at all about the coronavirus, I fear we could be facing this virus for a very long period. Even if it doesn't become more deadly... new strains, immune to the latest variants, may continue to cycle through population with relative ease. A less deadly variant could actually end up killing more people if it is unaffected by vaccines and/or if it mutates in such a way as to allow people to repeatedly get different variants.
https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/pcqx23/im_really_discouraged_by_the_lack_of_accurate_and

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

it will be fine, the hurricane will probably just become less just like corona :frogbon:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Spotify keeps sending me notifications about live shows in the area. lmao

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schnorkles posted:

had to go by the feed store again to pick up some bedding for the chickens and they've replaced the "WE'RE OUT OF IVERMECTIN" sign with "WE HAVE IVERMECTIN" and I had a small lol

lol

Substandard posted:

Then I guess we just have to go with thoughts and prayers.

I've put in an order to spool up a few of those and get them out there as quickly as possible but logistics are strained and those are also in demand for all the ongoing mass death so their quality will have to decline in favor of quantity

a few well measured ones should be able to stave off a casualty or two

silicone thrills posted:

With the way Biden is handling things, he'll not acknowledge this publicly out of some old superstition about causing mass panic even though we're literally going through the largest mass psychosis event in american history right now, then only react when it hits to send federal aid. Biden is react, never be proactive

So if you want to be lied to, no it's not going to be a nightmare, do not cause undue panic even though everyone is drinking horse paste and making GBS threads their guts out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't think covid was made in a lab anywhere in the world to be quite honest. however I don't care at all where or how it was made at this point, also

I mean in reality it's almost certainly a boring animal to human transmission of some type, the Fort Detrick thing is important to trot out whenever you can because 1) it's incredibly plausible and you may end up being right and 2) it's the perfect response to people yammering away about China China China because they have absolutely no evidence any stronger than what I listed out

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Yeah, we can speculate all day about contradictory facts and premises for all of the explanations for the virus' origins. I humbly ask that we don't do this.

There will likely be serious political and scientific consequences when/if the origin of this virus can be determined. In some circumstances, those origins could entail massive death and destruction. Let's not be confidence-men here by being certain of our conclusions without significant evidence.

too bad cus I'm gonna keep speculating, we aren't gonna find out poo poo about poo poo for another like 30 years and then absolutely not one loving thing will happen to anybody responsible

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

have they tried giving the hurricane ivermectin

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
new study on J&J blood clots:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...LLUv6gBvjkUO2U0

roughly 1 in 10,000 chance

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zurtilik posted:

In sure Nola learned its lesson and is prepared this time.

The funniest part about Katrina was the hurricane saved counties lives. There's footage of the levee that breached well below prior storms. It was rotten but because people were already on guard many beaches, rather than a random thunderstorm doing it at night a few weeks later and killing everyone in their sleep

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Portland (/ˈpɔːrtlənd/, PORT-lənd) is the largest and most populous city in the U.S. state of Oregon and the seat of Multnomah County. It is a major port in the Willamette Valley region of the Pacific Northwest, at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers in Northwestern Oregon. As of 2020, Portland had a population of 652,503,[8] making it the 25th-most populated city in the United States, the sixth-most populous on the West Coast, and the second-most populous in the Pacific Northwest after Seattle

Thank u for bringing it back

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

Katrina was only cat 4 when it hit Nola right

apparently Sandy was a tropical storm when it hit NY/NJ

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Portland (/ˈpɔːrtlənd/, PORT-lənd) is the largest and most populous city in the U.S. state of Oregon and the seat of Multnomah County. It is a major port in the Willamette Valley region of the Pacific Northwest, at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers in Northwestern Oregon. As of 2020, Portland had a population of 652,503,[8] making it the 25th-most populated city in the United States, the sixth-most populous on the West Coast, and the second-most populous in the Pacific Northwest after Seattle

I missed these posts.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I love these and I'm sad we only have 24 more to go unless you expand internationally.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I mean in reality it's almost certainly a boring animal to human transmission of some type, the Fort Detrick thing is important to trot out whenever you can because 1) it's incredibly plausible and you may end up being right and 2) it's the perfect response to people yammering away about China China China because they have absolutely no evidence any stronger than what I listed out

For me the theory goes from slightly possible to "they probably did it" is the fact that around the time the lab shut down in summer 2019, a bunch of nursing homes around FD started having mystery respiratory outbreaks, very unusual for the season. It even got pickedup by major news networks:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/respiratory-outbreak-investigated-retirement-community-54-residents-fall/story?id=64275865

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/american_sicko/status/1431314808574513163

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
from fmn:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1431383846587621380

he basically just gave you vague descriptions to comply to local guidance that have not been updated for pandemic standards obviously

America is back

Open Biden

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

too bad cus I'm gonna keep speculating, we aren't gonna find out poo poo about poo poo for another like 30 years and then absolutely not one loving thing will happen to anybody responsible

If you think a full nuclear war emerging between the US and China isn't possible in the next 30 years, you're wrong. Those war plans have existed in the US since before either of us were born, and they're constantly being refreshed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
faucio and america leaked the virus

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hahahaha

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Lastgirl posted:

from fmn:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1431383846587621380

he basically just gave you vague descriptions to comply to local guidance that have not been updated for pandemic standards obviously

America is back

Open Biden

This afternoon, I held a call with the head of FEMA and governors ahead of Hurricane Ida to discuss preparations for what is expected to be a dangerous storm. We didn't accomplish anything in this call. Nothing has changed. It's the same as if we didn't have the call at all. Thanks!

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah that is pretty much everything I was typing, but I gave it 40 years.
we're just crack pinged losers with nothing better to do than theorize about redacted lab safety reports. i don't believe me and EHF are about to start a war here either
And being right all the time is loving exhausting but at least you get a rush out of it and get to feel smug for a hot minute, telling your few remaining friends and family SEE?? I TOLD YOU!!! while they are visibly uncomfortable and wondering if it's prodromal schizophrenia.

Epic High Five posted:

The vape part is just thrown in there, it has nothing to do with the rest

Yeah, I am just curious if there's data about flu like illness that could support it, or well, just correlate.

the nursing home poo poo is what got my attention, too.

RadDickOwl fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 27, 2021

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Oh god not again

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Stereotype posted:

like a thousand covid people on life support are definitely going to die, but they probably were gonna die anyway.

It's ok, they'll count towards the Hurricane Ida death toll, not COVID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lenin Stimpy posted:

If you think a full nuclear war emerging between the US and China isn't possible in the next 30 years, you're wrong. Those war plans have existed in the US since before either of us were born, and they're constantly being refreshed.

they existed with the USSR too and it didn't happen, why would they feel the need to go to war with us lmao, we're their best customers and all our lines are utterly dependent on them and we're destroying ourselves just fine on our own