Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Scalding Coffee posted:

There has been an undub patch that fixed the Deus crash.

I think the joke is more how rushed and slap dash disc 2/The Chair is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I feel like I usually don't even notice the music much in games unless it's a) really bad or b) uses the same track for almost everything to the point that I hear it in my sleep

It's funny though because it seems like for a lot of people the music makes a big impression on them, they'll remember specific tracks and want the OST and post certain tracks years after the fact. Not saying that's weird anything or anything, it's probably more normal in fact, but it's just interesting. Music is definitely one of the last things I would consider if I was deciding whether I like a game, and generally even after finishing a game I doubt I could identify specific tracks or even say whether I really liked the music or not.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 27, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having a good soundtrack completely elevates a game for me, and for certain genres such as beatemups, is 100% mandatory.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Play posted:

I feel like I usually don't even notice the music much in games unless it's a) really bad or b) uses the same track for almost everything to the point that I hear it in my sleep

It's funny though because it seems like for a lot of people the music makes a big impression on them, they'll remember specific tracks and want the OST and post certain tracks years after the fact. Not saying that's weird anything or anything, it's probably more normal in fact, but it's just interesting. Music is definitely one of the last things I would consider if I was deciding whether I like a game, and generally even after finishing a game I doubt I could identify specific tracks or even say whether I even liked the music or not.

i wonder if there's any correlation there with people who easily get frissons vs people who don't so easily, or at all (for reference, I get em quite easily)

exquisite tea posted:

Having a good soundtrack completely elevates a game for me, and for certain genres such as beatemups, is 100% mandatory.

very much same. to me, a good score sets the emotional stage that makes everything else work at all

to take an example, I genuinely don't think I'd have played much of Outer Wilds if the Timber Hearth theme (and the main menu theme & broader leitmotif) hadn't grabbed me by the ears & heartstrings and refused to let go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzEiDxjc0NA

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 27, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hollow Knight has a bunch of tracks that stuck with me and pop into my head from time to time, even years after I played it. Each to their own I guess.

I don't think I would like Monster Hunter as much as I do if the music wasn't just right for setting the mood. A lot of the monsters have unique music written to fit their fight, to the extent that it feels like an integral part of the experience and it's weird and wrong without it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Maybe a take but I think most games are just scored poorly. A good soundtrack absolutely elevates a game but it's the kind of thing you don't really notice till you hit on one that really knocks it out of the park or one that stinks so bad it takes you out of the game.

Tbh I think a lot of games punt on sound design in general(and writing or whatever else they couldn't afford or didn't value) but it's really the sort of thing you only notice if it's uniquely bad or you have a personal interest.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 27, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Triarii posted:

Hollow Knight has a bunch of tracks that stuck with me and pop into my head from time to time, even years after I played it. Each to their own I guess.

I don't think I would like Monster Hunter as much as I do if the music wasn't just right for setting the mood. A lot of the monsters have unique music written to fit their fight, to the extent that it feels like an integral part of the experience and it's weird and wrong without it.

agreed on monster hunter; a lot of monster names I outright forget between stints with the series, but I will never, ever forget Glavenus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3P_vtNd24I
:allears:

Hub Cat posted:

Maybe a take but I think most games are just scored poorly. A good soundtrack absolutely elevates a game but it's the kind of thing you don't really notice till you hit on one that really knocks it out of the park or one that stinks so bad it takes you out of the game.

Tbh I think a lot of games punt on sound design in general but it's really the sort of thing you only notice if it's uniquely bad or you have a personal interest.
:yeah:

.random
May 7, 2007

It’s rare for me to really notice game music, too. It can certainly make a game - Supergiant basically lives off their soundtracks - but aside from those or classics like FF or Megaman themes, I doubt I could much call to mind the soundtrack to almost any game.

To be fair, I also don’t tend to remember liking most movie soundtracks either, though I can tell when it’s particularly bad or absent. If I do like it, it’s usually because of a strong recurrent theme (and it’s probably by John Williams or Hans Zimmer or maybe Danny Elfman)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Severed Steel comes out September 17th fuuuuck. just announced today at gamescom

Shadow Tactics DLC announced: Aiko's Choice. Releases in December

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 27, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A game with good music and sound design are pretty much the only games I'll play without having something else up on another monitor. Psychonauts 2 is the first game in a long time I remember giving 100% of my attention to while playing.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I realize it's sort of silly to post a three part video series to convince people to like something they just posted about not really liking that much, but HK's music is really good and these videos are great. My first playthrough of the game there were only a couple of tracks that grabbed me but it was because I was mostly playing at night after my kids went to bed, relatively quietly. My second playthrough I did with headphones on, and that's when I really started to appreciate it. It's not just the music, either--the sound design in general is just great. *sigh* Bapanada.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

Severed Steel comes out September 17th fuuuuck. just announced today at gamescom

Out, out or in EA?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Out, out or in EA?
Doesn't say EA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzwCsMFiblc

Store page doesn't show EA either

E: another small announcement, Lemnis Gate will be on Gamepass at the end of September.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 27, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OzFactor posted:

*sigh* Bapanada.

I think about that more often than I care to admit. She sounds so perfectly weary. Why yes I do work retail-adjacent.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Soundtrack and sound design make a massive difference in how well a game ages. Extra for first person.

Sab669 posted:

Or by GLOOing things!

I never did beat that game, I should reinstall it and figure out how to get past where I got stuck...

I get the impression that Prey wants me to use GLOO a lot more than I am. I can 1. slow down enemies 2. make a little height to jump a tiny tiny bit higher 3. calm down arcing electronics. Am I missing anything?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Mescal posted:

I get the impression that Prey wants me to use GLOO a lot more than I am. I can 1. slow down enemies 2. make a little height to jump a tiny tiny bit higher 3. calm down arcing electronics. Am I missing anything?

It will completely freeze enemies if you shoot them enough with it. Nice for when a mimic is skittering all over the room and you want it to chill out for just a drat second while you collect your thoughts (and hit it with a wrench).

Also, you can shoot it onto walls to make whole staircases you can hop up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Playing Prey as a lost space station engineer is pretty funny, actually.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mescal posted:

Soundtrack and sound design make a massive difference in how well a game ages. Extra for first person.

You can do more sequence breaking than you think with it (there are a couple set piecds where othet employers have helpfully demonstrated the staircase process) and it's a pretty decent stun tool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i couldn't really say what goes into good sound design; the only thing I'm consciously aware of is enemy barks and being able to quickly identify & react to them (at which I'd give hollow knight full marks)

those grub fluke things in the royal waterways make the most disgusting and worrying sounds

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can't decide if the game being partially and poorly translated actually improves this bad horror game trailer by virtue of making it more baffling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXNT2TJIYI

e: Ghostrunner is getting an Assist Mode and Wave Mode as well as Neon cosmetic DLC (despite the trailer's name, the assist/wave mode are a separate free update according to IGN). Releases August 31st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxROcXnOn4

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 27, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OzFactor posted:

I realize it's sort of silly to post a three part video series to convince people to like something they just posted about not really liking that much, but HK's music is really good and these videos are great. My first playthrough of the game there were only a couple of tracks that grabbed me but it was because I was mostly playing at night after my kids went to bed, relatively quietly. My second playthrough I did with headphones on, and that's when I really started to appreciate it. It's not just the music, either--the sound design in general is just great. *sigh* Bapanada.

i will give this a watch! i mostly expect it'll go over my head though, as "leitmotif" is as complex a part of music theory as i know :v:

Since you bring up headphones, I have yet to find a pair that i like :( it's all either sounded good but given me a headache after an hour due to the fit, or been comfy but tinny, or various places around that spectrum

i most liked the sound of the circumaurals I tried from sennheiser - wearing EPOS right now - but I wear glasses, which don't seem to work well at all with circumaurals so far as comfort goes

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

When I think 'game sound design' I think Brood War. Every unit response, every attack, every building sound is immediately recognizable. Zerg in particular is just a bunch of noise but it's very easy to pick out a zergling's noise from mutas or scourge or whatever. I can hear it all in my head despite going months or years without playing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite bit of game sound design was in the original Left 4 Dead, the little tiny musical cues that would play to let you know which specific kind of boss zombie was about to come and murder you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

i will give this a watch! i mostly expect it'll go over my head though, as "leitmotif" is as complex a part of music theory as i know :v:

Since you bring up headphones, I have yet to find a pair that i like :( it's all either sounded good but given me a headache after an hour due to the fit, or been comfy but tinny, or various places around that spectrum

i most liked the sound of the circumaurals I tried from sennheiser - wearing EPOS right now - but I wear glasses, which don't seem to work well at all with circumaurals so far as comfort goes

This is probably heresy to bigtime headphone people but in-ear headphones are better, sound better, block out more outside sound and are more comfortable than anything else, to me

Jaybird Tarah Pro is my poo poo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In-ear headphones and earbuds aren't great for your ears for long periods of time, so make sure to factor that in when you're planning on getting a pair. If you're doing 8 hour gaming sessions, you might want to use the real deal. IYG has a pretty great headphone thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

bees x1000 posted:

When I think 'game sound design' I think Brood War. Every unit response, every attack, every building sound is immediately recognizable. Zerg in particular is just a bunch of noise but it's very easy to pick out a zergling's noise from mutas or scourge or whatever. I can hear it all in my head despite going months or years without playing.

Valve did an amazing job with Dota 2 in this regard. You can instantly tell what's going on in a fight just from the ability SFX and impact sounds, it's pretty impressive given the size of the cast. There's a dude on Reddit who is blind and has a YT channel where he plays different games, including stuff like ranked fighting game matches, and it's neat to see the insights he has regarding audio cues and how that affects accesibility.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

.random posted:

It’s rare for me to really notice game music, too. It can certainly make a game - Supergiant basically lives off their soundtracks - but aside from those or classics like FF or Megaman themes, I doubt I could much call to mind the soundtrack to almost any game.

To be fair, I also don’t tend to remember liking most movie soundtracks either, though I can tell when it’s particularly bad or absent. If I do like it, it’s usually because of a strong recurrent theme (and it’s probably by John Williams or Hans Zimmer or maybe Danny Elfman)

I'm the same way. These days a game's music just boils down to "music" that often isn't much different from the music you hear outside of games - that's not to say it's "bad" or that it's "not better" than it used to be, but game music has just become music. But back in the days of Final Fantasy and Megaman on NES/SNES chiptune music was new, unique, and not being done outside of videogames, so all of those early FF and Megaman songs are burned into my mind forever as stand-out big fish in a small pond, compared to these days where a fully orchestral soundtrack could end up as a small fish in a gigantic ocean.

Turning the music volume slider to 0% is generally one of the first things I do when starting up a new game these days :shrug: The only exceptions are games where the soundtrack is more of a sonic landscape than "music", like Caves of Qud for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcbfIx0AHI

Side note: The Caves of Qud soundtrack is IMO the pinnacle of video game soundtracks. It's haunting, beautiful, unique, full of strange sounds that match the absurdity of the world, and has some incredibly loving cool transitions and effects that not only sound cool but that set a major tone for the world around them - see the first ~35-40 seconds of the video above as a track begins to build out of the wilderness with a slow drumming which transforms into a geiger counter clicking away at the radiation left behind by the destroyed world around you. Further in, the sounds of the wild flora and fauna take over again, then replaced with the sounds of night, frogs croaking, etc, followed by a clearly evident 'dawn' where these scattered dismantling ruins of society try once again to announce their existence among the overwhelming sounds of the sun and the jungle and the salt - that is precisely the tone of Caves of Qud, the pitiful final clawing grasps of society trying to re-stake its place in the natural world around it, a world that is beyond doomed - and the soundtrack portrays it perfectly.

Another good example is the Underground theme, the music you hear whenever you're crawling around the titular Caves of Qud - a slight musical theme to carry it, flourished with weird, alien sounds that give the sense that they're echoing off of ancient cavern walls, sounds that are tenebrously either part of the music, or the beeping of ancient machinery, or the rapid scurrying and chittering of bizarre critters that want to eat your mutated arms off, and a sense of mystery and awe - but it always stops just short of being a "song" and that's the best decision it could make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zIBq91Diw

Or the Salt Desert track, listen to this and tell me it doesn't sound like trudging through an endless apocalyptic flat, featurless desert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTbUTavJDdc

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 28, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Maybe I've got a weird shaped head or something, wouldn't surprise me but I have never found a pair of over ear headphones that were comfortable for long term use. Either they pinch the ears, fall off backwards too easily, feel bad on the top of the head, or any number of things

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm the same way. These days a game's music just boils down to "music" that often isn't much different from the music you hear outside of games - that's not to say it's "bad" or that it's "not better" than it used to be, but game music has just become music. But back in the days of Final Fantasy and Megaman on NES/SNES chiptune music was new, unique, and not being done outside of videogames, so all of those early FF and Megaman songs are burned into my mind forever as stand-out big fish in a small pond, compared to these days where a fully orchestral soundtrack could end up as a small fish in a gigantic ocean.

Turning the music volume slider to 0% is generally one of the first things I do when starting up a new game these days :shrug: The only exceptions are games where the soundtrack is more of a sonic landscape than "music", like Caves of Qud for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwcbfIx0AHI

Yeah actually minimalist music (or no music, drawing your focus to the scenery and sound effects) can be a lot more effective to me. Listening to the rain patter on rooves (wait is that how you spell that word... looks fuckin weird) or the bugs and birds chirping in the forest really helps put me there in that place.

That being said I don't really like playing my own music during games, eventually there will be something that just fits horribly and I can't stand the way it clashes so I will want to change the song but then it'll happen again shortly after, etc.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mescal posted:

Life Is Strange has aged decently well as a time capsule of early 2010s teen attitudes and the emo/hipster/punk music was absolutely spot on capturing the emotional overtones of the game to where the soundtrack was a huge part of the experience.

Kind of weird Life is Strange 2's soundtrack was a complete non-entity. The newest game is going hard on the music/soundtrack hoping to capture the appeal of the first one.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

i wonder if there's any correlation there with people who easily get frissons vs people who don't so easily, or at all (for reference, I get em quite easily)

I never knew what to call this feeling before!

Some of the most touching music in games for me is in Amanita Design games. Machinarium, Botanicula and Samorost 3 all have beautiful music, delightful sound effects and vibrant visuals that complement each other incredibly well and create audiovisual experience like no other. Especially the latter two that really went above and beyond to infuse music with the gameplay and visuals. Their music has been in my daily playlists for years and it makes me feel things that I rarely feel elsewhere.
I will never understand people who say they mute the music in all the games they play. In some games you can miss out on half the experience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-b-wpPM7yA

I can't not hear the robot lady whistling for her lost dog every time this song comes up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmzKsWSkROQ

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 28, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Personally I mute the music because I'm often doing/watching/listening to other things in the background, but I also almost exclusively play non-emotional types of games where music will never be forefront, like business sims or turn based strategy games. I can understand it being a big part of the overall impact for adventure games or things where you're primarily there to be engrossed in a story or experience rather than to apply logic to numbers :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Popping in to say The Ascent is really loving good, a major patch was just released today that fixed most of the big release day problems and it's an amazing piece of work in pretty much every category. Great visuals, great music, great sound, amazing environment design, great gameplay. There isn't really the kind of RPG build diversity to give you the replay value of something like Path of Exile but the world feels enormous, varied and fun to just roam around blowing poo poo up in, it doesn't have any of that procedurally generated feel that almost all Big Environment games have. All the guns have really great fx and nice fat sound, the combat is highly mobile and active dodge-centric. A tremendously solid action-RPG.

Orv
May 4, 2011

God I love games like this.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I was a king's bounty fan back in the day. How badly did they gently caress up 2?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I was a king's bounty fan back in the day. How badly did they gently caress up 2?

I'm about 5-6 hours in and it's not great. There are way less fights/troops so far, it's far more linear and the 3d movement is terrible. You spent most of your time holding W walking slowly through garbage/generic looking environments.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I checked out Behind the Frame. It's a very simple and short game that's charming and has a nice soundtrack. There really aren't that many animations in the game, so if you were expecting it to be like a game set in a Ghibliesque world, look towards the Ni No Kuni games instead (or don't). I was relaxed for the duration of the game, but maybe wait for a sale since it is quite short.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pentyne posted:

Life Is Strange has aged decently well as a time capsule of early 2010s teen attitudes and the emo/hipster/punk music was absolutely spot on capturing the emotional overtones of the game to where the soundtrack was a huge part of the experience.

Kind of weird Life is Strange 2's soundtrack was a complete non-entity. The newest game is going hard on the music/soundtrack hoping to capture the appeal of the first one.

Sure, and true enough, but I was talking about how sound technology and our understanding of it hasn't changed much since the 70s. If you're playing an ancient first person game with headphones and it sounds like surround sound (what was the first video game with surround sound?) and environmentals/interstitial music phase in and out subtly and footsteps sound right ("they're gaining on the left!") and the folie is good it can make it feel like a real world even if the graphics are dated. This stuff isn't in a struggle with the march of processing power; it's been available the whole time, and it helps in old games if it's good.

I lost my ghost in Hollow Knight please help me... i'm right in its face on the map but no ghost

Mescal fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 28, 2021

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Mescal posted:

I lost my ghost in Hollow Knight please help me... i'm right in its face on the map but no ghost

Head all the way right of the starting town. There's a door on the other side of the graveyard. Inside is an NPC that can summon your ghost to you if you lose it/it's too dangerous to retrieve. You'll need a Simple Key to get in and trade a Rancid Egg for the summoning.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pentyne posted:

I'm really pleased with the music selection so far. I'm glad that Deck Nine is continuing to go with a featured artist on the soundtrack, first Daughter in Before the Storm and now Angus & Julia Stone on True Colors. Daughter's contribution really gave that game its bittersweet, melancholy vibe and it seems like AJS were a good choice for the emotional center of True Colors as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got really addicted to Total Warhammer 2

I took 154 people to fight 1 guy. How heroic.