Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'd say the book and warscrolls are useless since a new version come out in less than a month.

The rest is meh as far as I'm concerned because I'm not a fan of the Savage Orruks. The Ironjawz side is a little light (only one warchanter, only 3 gore gruntas, no shaman, no megaboss, no brutes, only a few ardboyz).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hey so I'm getting the gently caress out of SA for my mental health. This obviously means I won't be able to update the glorious tome of information that is the OP, so if anything cool and new happens that would warrant updating it, you're going to probably have to make a new thread or something. Please make sure the thread title is very good. I'm gonna go smoke some weed and play a bunch of Humankind. Peace and stay cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

Hey so I'm getting the gently caress out of SA for my mental health. This obviously means I won't be able to update the glorious tome of information that is the OP, so if anything cool and new happens that would warrant updating it, you're going to probably have to make a new thread or something. Please make sure the thread title is very good. I'm gonna go smoke some weed and play a bunch of Humankind. Peace and stay cool.

Bye maybe see you in the future.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Be well, thank you for the thread <3

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Take care of yourself

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Deleter posted:

See you, realm cowboy.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Take care of yourself, hope you get the help you need and your weed is good.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

New FAQs are up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

quote:

Q: The Predator’s Domain grand strategy states ‘When the battle ends, you complete this grand strategy if you control more terrain features than your opponent.’ When do I check for control of terrain features for this grand strategy?
A: When the battle ends.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh jeez Horrors no longer count as taking actual casualties until a brimstone dies.

edit: oh wow the unit's changed a lot.

Icons no longer bring back models but now each one in the unit grants a fate point on 3+. Musician grants a +1 to save instead of morale stuff. No to hit bonuses for size or from spellcasting anymore (hence the icon change) so they're stuck with the basic +5/+4/D1 magical flames profile.

Petty Vengeance triggers on a lower roll per horror type. A new wrinkle as written is splitting seems to be mandatory now?

edit 2: nothing else quite as drastic so far. Also they updated a bunch of the legends warscrolls with Cities of Sigmar tags :unsmith:

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 27, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Still no answer on how it works when a non-Marked S2D leader with Eye of the Gods rolls on the table and gets a Mark-related result.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Oh jeez Horrors no longer count as taking actual casualties until a brimstone dies.

edit: oh wow the unit's changed a lot.

Icons no longer bring back models but now each one in the unit grants a fate point on 3+. Musician grants a +1 to save instead of morale stuff. No to hit bonuses for size or from spellcasting anymore (hence the icon change) so they're stuck with the basic +5/+4/D1 magical flames profile.

Petty Vengeance triggers on a lower roll per horror type. A new wrinkle as written is splitting seems to be mandatory now?

edit 2: nothing else quite as drastic so far. Also they updated a bunch of the legends warscrolls with Cities of Sigmar tags :unsmith:

The way it's written, it would make splitting mandatory if you pick the 'Split and Split again' ability for the unit. but, there's no clause or anything to sidestep the situation if you run out of blue/brimstone models or space to set them up. You can assume the model is destroyed, but what does that mean for considering it "Slain" or not... that will probably need another FAQ...

One upside, since pinks and blues don't count as dying, you don't have to take Battleshock til you're down to Brimstones.

Edit: Also, they can't be wizards anymore?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 27, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Loreseeker is back to being unique again. :rip: to the dream where he could have a 5+ ward save or a blade of leaping gold

What a journey it's been from people freaking out about the hero being meta-warping at the end of 2.0 to being pretty much forgettable now.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Forever stuck with the burning question of "is it A Loreseeker or The Loreseeker?"

also yeah pinks are no longer conditional wizards but I guess the icon change more than covers the fate points you'd be getting from casting Channeled Fire.

And, again, this is still a unit that's like 50-150 wounds and battleshock not counting till the last third of that if anything made them even better in Host Duplicitous.

my P2G-playing rear end is so loving psyched about the Legends warscrolls getting their keywords updated. Though, like, I feel like the old High Elf Archers and Spears/Seaguard not getting an update is this weird admission that everyone just uses them as Vanari Wardens and Sentinels anyway.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Freeguild still need proper Freeguild keyword, tho.

Order Draconis looks like a neat force, possibly actually fieldable as an elite cav army.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm not sure we needed ward save stacking, but here we are. 3-4 rolls to allocate a wound. Awesome.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Dreylad posted:

I'm not sure we needed ward save stacking, but here we are. 3-4 rolls to allocate a wound. Awesome.

The strange way that question is worded, with bolding about the words "before" and "after", gives the impression that the intent was to ensure that abilities that reduce damage as it is allocated, such as Mannfred's "Armor of Templehof", work in proper order with the Ward saves (after them).

But by introducing this weird timing aspect to wound allocation everyone is looking closer at the wording of ward saves ("Before you allocate a wound or mortal wound...") versus how damage prevention rolls are written until now ("when you allocate a wound..") and its real dumb.

it also seems clearly unintentional given that this sort of change normally only comes about in GHBs or printed core rules. Our local TOs have already ruled that we will keep playing with only one wound allocation save.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It also seems to contradict the intent of the answer immediately after it, that clarifies bodyguards don't stack with normal ward.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
To be fair the FAQ bought some clarity (nooo metal cruncher) but addressed none of the glaring issues that have started to emerge as people actually get to play. Of course the FAQ had to change the wyldwood warscroll again and break it completely to boot. It will probably have an faq again shortly if it doesn't already to fix the error. Basically it no longer allows teleports because of the way they changed it previously.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Also just noticed all of the Eldritch Council wizards come with spells but technically cannot cast them since their casts/denies aren't listed on the warscroll.

Mind since this isn't aimed anywhere towards matched play sensible people will assume 1/1.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm mostly amused by the fact that there is only one way to get a Cities Gryph-Hound, and that's the one dog you get from the Warpriest. You can't have a unit of them by any other means.

Which, like, if you want them, just coalition them in from Stormcast, you can absolutely do that in any army that has a Warpriest in the first place. But still.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What year did the really insane metal pink horrors come out? The turn yourself inside out ones.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Kruleboyz are coming to Underworlds

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Winklebottom posted:

mask over the nose, pal

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

it'd rather have a rad troop of little grot jailers like this guy over the loving hobgrot losers

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Winklebottom posted:

Looking good, hopefully the season will move to Ulgu this time.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Nice most of the underworld bands look great. I am constantly tempted by Thundirks profiteers even though I don't really collect KO...yet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/08/31/white-dwarf-468-is-all-about-wolves-warriors-and-kill-team-hunter-clades

Looks like Daves of Darkness players have something to look forward to with the next WD issue as they're doing another battletome update.

quote:

Tome Celestial: Slaves to Darkness is a huge boon to Chaos worshippers. Including rules updates spanning six pages, this considerable battletome update presents revamped allegiance abilities and core battalions, as well as new rules for open and matched play formats, and a suite of rules for using Slaves to Darkness in Path to Glory campaigns. This bevy of official rulings comes straight from the game designers – an official, tournament-legal update to Battletome: Slaves to Darkness itself – so don’t get caught without them when you bring your forces of the Everchosen to your next event.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I am not a fan of doing rules updates in white dwarves.

I am even less of a fan of them reintroducing faction battalions. You guys pulled that poo poo two months ago, and everybody liked it. You couldn't balance batallions. What even is the point of bringing them back?

I'm even less of a fan of them bringing faction specific battle tactics and grand strategies. Right now everyone has access to the same set, so you are aware of what the other guy can do and this enables counterplay. There is no way you can be aware of the faction specific tactics for every faction.

3.0 removed a lot of bloat that was detrimental to the game, it is so weird to see them turn around and reintroduce it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
It's super weird. Gloomspite Gitz got 4 WD articles, then those got consolidated/updated in Broken Realms, then most of that got removed with 3rd edition, and now what, we're waiting for another WD?

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I consider those articles a kind of patch until the respective battletome arrives. I don't mind them unless they broke something... which seems very likely the more they do.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
This is all :tinfoil: but GW is leaning heavily into forcing you to purchase the "get you by" items now, then very soon thereafter, making those purchases null by putting out another book. It makes sense that they stopped putting out WD digitally so you can't just get a pirated PDF to play your army anymore, you have to pay $10 for the physical WD for your temp rules.

I totally appreciate that some rules are better than not getting rules for your faction for months or years like it used to be, but I really wish GW would just put the updates out as free PDFs until you can purchase the new version of the army book/codex/whatever. IMO, WD should be a hobby vehicle first, an experimental testbed for rules and scenarios second, and an official rules distribution method (in conjunction with PDF updates) as a very distant third.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

I am not a fan of doing rules updates in white dwarves.

I am even less of a fan of them reintroducing faction battalions. You guys pulled that poo poo two months ago, and everybody liked it. You couldn't balance batallions. What even is the point of bringing them back?

I'm even less of a fan of them bringing faction specific battle tactics and grand strategies. Right now everyone has access to the same set, so you are aware of what the other guy can do and this enables counterplay. There is no way you can be aware of the faction specific tactics for every faction.

3.0 removed a lot of bloat that was detrimental to the game, it is so weird to see them turn around and reintroduce it.

That just seems like GW's MO this edition cycle. The same thing happened in 40K; launched with simple generic rules for everyone, then with the first codex releases, armies got custom secondary objectives, and immediately threw the game off balance (no small part due to Marine's Oaths of Moment being so good). I am a little surprised to see them bringing back custom battalions so quickly, though. They even specify them as "Core battalions," so there's no 'narrative only' type way of segmenting them off.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 31, 2021

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Faction battalions feel like less of a big deal than it really is since they only grant the listed benefit now.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Other than a quick look at the army builder tool online I really haven't a clue about how any of that stuff works, and I'm not sure as a noob how I'll possibly be able to put it all together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Giant’s update was nothing game breaking. And I am curious about this Slaves one.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

I like to think any sensible TO or event organiser outside of GW specific events will just flat out ban any White Dwarf content (I would). As it is rarely well put together or balanced. Also if you predominantly play with friends it isn't like you can't just restrict yourselves to not using it either. I completely agree that it sets a crappy precedent though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hoboskins posted:

I like to think any sensible TO or event organiser outside of GW specific events will just flat out ban any White Dwarf content (I would). As it is rarely well put together or balanced. Also if you predominantly play with friends it isn't like you can't just restrict yourselves to not using it either. I completely agree that it sets a crappy precedent though.

These seem to be legit tome updates for factions not getting one anytime soon. So banning seems a bad idea. The Sons of Behamat one was decent, so I think we should give the Slaves one a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

The sons one kind of made sense because of the way their army worked, or didn't in this case for battalions. The personalised secondaries were not obvious I win buttons that is true, but the issue is how many battletomes there are. GW's track record speaks for itself, eventually they will make one that is bad. I think the other reason this idea is getting salt is because it completely contradicts the reason they said they were invalidating battletome specific battalions in the first place, because it was too hard to balance. I'm probably more concerned about them making making battletome specific battletactics than battalions. I'm happy to be eat my words and be proved wrong though.