Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dear ETs: you've permitted a system to proliferate with your explicit permission that is fundamentally harmful and failed to do anything to help the one nation that served as a check on it. How can you even say you come in peace when youve already visited untold violence upon us all?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

tbh if there really are eternal alien consciousnesses watching earth and we’re also jacked into the universal consciousness to which we return when we die, nothing humans have ever done to one another is going to register as much more than what we feel when some kid beats up another kid on the schoolyard, like yea that sucks whatever

goes back to the ancient wisdom of religions, both east and west, being that hey this life isn’t actually a big deal suck it up and accept your place

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

mufon is a boomer grift that swims in and eats from robert bigelows liquid poo poo

last time anything interesting happened over there anthony bragalia was stirring up the stye

Wheeee posted:

goes back to the ancient wisdom of religions, both east and west, being that hey this life isn’t actually a big deal suck it up and accept your place

and if death comes so cheap, then the same goes for life

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

me, eaten up by the cancer, feeling nothing but pain: existence is hell why would any creator bestow this upon their children i wish only for oblivion

raelian science team passing through the hospital: lol i looked this dude up he’s in his like ten thousandth incarnation and still sitting here whining all ignorant and poo poo, abloo bloo bloo buddy

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The Saucer Hovers posted:

mufon is a boomer grift that swims in and eats from robert bigelows liquid poo poo

last time anything interesting happened over there anthony bragalia was stirring up the stye

Not to be dismissive, it's one take. I appreciate that it's not just a meme poo poo post.

Azathoth posted:

MUFON senior leadership sucks rear end. Before the president was revealed to be a pedophile, they repeatedly covered for literal white supremacist John Ventre, who ran (and maybe still runs) the Pennsylvania branch and was something like "national director" or whatever they call senior leadership.

After he went on racist rants on Facebook, they promised to kick him, but then engaged in a couple years of covering up his involvement, but last I saw, they had gone back to just letting him openly participate.

Not making any judgments on you for being involved with them, but their continued involvement with Ventre is pretty goddamn telling about their leadership.

When MUFON washed their hands as best they could of Harzan, my understanding is that Ventre's involvement left with him. But I cannot speak for what goes on behind the scenes at MUFON Pennsylvania. There is some possibility he is involved with them, or even behind the scenes with someone else in the organization in an unnamed capacity., There are have been systemic complaints about MUFON leadership, and I fully believe the majority of them to be credible.

However I must say, being directly involved with many of the prominent leaders, there is no tolerance for that kind of behavior either within MUFON or in the personal life of anyone with a title. There are some well respected and highly qualified professionals involved. As with all working relationships however, you never know what someone is thinking or doing beyond what you can see and what they tell you.

One last thing, I do believe the core MUFON is a very comprehensive system of recording encounters which has been refined to precision over the years. In the hands of qualified and sincere Field Investigators, very good work is done. And hopefully their respective directors are providing experienced guidance and maintaining high standards. Of course it varies from chapter to chapter.

I won't bog down this sub with anymore defense of them. Dog on them all you want goons. But watch this space for many more even shittier posts unrelated to MUFON from me in the near future. :toot:

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Fly Ricky posted:

Not to be dismissive, it's one take. I appreciate that it's not just a meme poo poo post.

When MUFON washed their hands as best they could of Harzan, my understanding is that Ventre's involvement left with him. But I cannot speak for what goes on behind the scenes at MUFON Pennsylvania. There is some possibility he is involved with them, or even behind the scenes with someone else in the organization in an unnamed capacity., There are have been systemic complaints about MUFON leadership, and I fully believe the majority of them to be credible.

However I must say, being directly involved with many of the prominent leaders, there is no tolerance for that kind of behavior either within MUFON or in the personal life of anyone with a title. There are some well respected and highly qualified professionals involved. As with all working relationships however, you never know what someone is thinking or doing beyond what you can see and what they tell you.

One last thing, I do believe the core MUFON is a very comprehensive system of recording encounters which has been refined to precision over the years. In the hands of qualified and sincere Field Investigators, very good work is done. And hopefully their respective directors are providing experienced guidance and maintaining high standards. Of course it varies from chapter to chapter.

I won't bog down this sub with anymore defense of them. Dog on them all you want goons. But watch this space for many more even shittier posts unrelated to MUFON from me in the near future. :toot:

Muffon deez nuts

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ventre popped up at another MUFON online thing again this year. I can't find the details and don't really care to go looking for it, but he did. It's pretty clear he's still got friends who want to bring him back. That's the second time I've personally noticed it. It may have happened more.

I do not know or care about them after they showed their whole rear end the first time he got ran out then slunk back in before getting called out a second time. It's pretty clear the only thing they learned is to keep the racist poo poo to a normal level of decorum and to not go full chud. Such is life when your whole deal is to separate boomers from their social security checks, as is obviously the only motivation for their leadership.

As for their data, if there was anything of value that could be learned from it, that would have already happened. It only proves what we already know, that something is happening, but it offers no insight beyond that. I would go so far as to say that another decade or two decades or reports will not offer anything more insightful, as the nature of the phenomenon, whatever it is, precludes meaningful study in that way.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i sent an email to the rare books / distinctive collections section of my university library, recommending they look into purchasing the collected corliss works and scanning them for the public

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

holy poo poo the mufon defender has logged on

loving PLEASE defend the bigelow buyout. be sure and address personal information that was gathered for in house use only being sold to a corporatist.

the only relevant data i can think of that has a mufon logo on it was the huntsville radar report. its a grrrrriiiifffffftttttttt to sell field investigator badges to children and terminally engineer brained boomers

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

helta posted:

Muffon deez nuts

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

If there's a way to loan them out and the scanning is non-destructive I'm willing to make my collection available. I ain't footin the shipping tho lmao

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

takes me back to college. it was my job to scan all those publications at our ag campus. sooo boring lol

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XOw1vITGU

To me, the most compelling case outside of the recent navy stuff.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

WEH posted:

If there's a way to loan them out and the scanning is non-destructive I'm willing to make my collection available. I ain't footin the shipping tho lmao

quoting this so I remember

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rickshaw posted:

I have forgotten what the plane design's designation was, but there was a flying aircraft carrier concept put to paper that would help explain things like this and the lights over phoenix. Though it's probably way crazier of me to think that the USAF could possibly build and fly something like that for any period of time without a serious leak.

If anyone knows the designation let me know. It's one of those awesome ideas from the time when better things were possible.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Not sure about a carrier, but there were rumors and speculation about stealth blimp designs around that time related to flying triangle sightings. There's even a drawing from Popular Mechanics, although I don't think it's anything more than an artist's conception https://books.google.com/books?id=SmYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA60&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

that's covered in the vid

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nomad2020 posted:

I have forgotten what the plane design's designation was, but there was a flying aircraft carrier concept put to paper that would help explain things like this and the lights over phoenix. Though it's probably way crazier of me to think that the USAF could possibly build and fly something like that for any period of time without a serious leak.

If anyone knows the designation let me know. It's one of those awesome ideas from the time when better things were possible.

the absurd thing about the US having anti-grav is the idea that the US government would have been able to restrain themselves from using it against saddam or some poo poo like that. bush would've parked a bird over baghdad if he'd had the capability

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Not even anti-grav, just the power of the sun (nuclear).

Found it! Behold the CL-1201 a nuclear powered flying wing with a VTOL variant because why the hell not.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The Saucer Hovers posted:

holy poo poo the mufon defender has logged on

loving PLEASE defend the bigelow buyout. be sure and address personal information that was gathered for in house use only being sold to a corporatist.

the only relevant data i can think of that has a mufon logo on it was the huntsville radar report. its a grrrrriiiifffffftttttttt to sell field investigator badges to children and terminally engineer brained boomers

Not gonna bite. Said my piece.

I've got waaay shittier UFO opinions than this, don't mute me yet.

Azathoth posted:

As for their data, if there was anything of value that could be learned from it, that would have already happened. It only proves what we already know, that something is happening, but it offers no insight beyond that. I would go so far as to say that another decade or two decades or reports will not offer anything more insightful, as the nature of the phenomenon, whatever it is, precludes meaningful study in that way.

I would add that literally nothing in the field adds anything to that effect.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

that means i win bitch wooooooooo

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Your prize is a MUFON Field Investigator card, suitable for lamination. PM me you address.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

nomad2020 posted:

Not even anti-grav, just the power of the sun (nuclear).

Found it! Behold the CL-1201 a nuclear powered flying wing with a VTOL variant because why the hell not.

It's not really on topic for the thread, but the nuclear aircraft program (the declassified part, anyway) is an amazing, and amazingly dumb, story. The short version goes something like: You know how the Navy's nuclear program is incredibly competent and has never had a major disaster? Well, all of the normal incompetence has to go somewhere, and guess which service got it?

The plan for a nuclear aircraft involved an air cooled (because coolant was too heavy) unshielded reactor (because shielding was too heavy) that drove turbine engines directly (because an electric transmission was too heavy, and presumably too reliable) and a very 'careful' design to make sure all of the emitted radiation was pointed away from the pilots. Ground service was planned equally carefully, under the apparent theory that if ground crews could manage not to get sucked into a rotating turbine they could apply the same "don't step here" techniques to, essentially, the entirety of the rest of the aircraft.

All of this was when operating as planned. When things didn't go as planned, the R&D effort started blowing up reactors.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The two test reactors from the aircraft program are rusting away in the parking lot of ebr-1 (which is a museum). If you're ever in central Idaho, check em out.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i am ready

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTGY0YwBUga/

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

Dear ETs: you've permitted a system to proliferate with your explicit permission that is fundamentally harmful and failed to do anything to help the one nation that served as a check on it. How can you even say you come in peace when youve already visited untold violence upon us all?

Ancient Alien take: They're responsible for the rise of China and are the ones who intervened and held Mao from attending the meeting where Chang Kai-Shek tried to have him killed and tipped Mao of on the sparrows being malevolent birds

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Re: nuclear powered aircraft

The 9M730 Burevestnik (Russian: Буревестник; "Petrel", NATO reporting name: SSC-X-9 Skyfall)[1][2] is a Russian experimental nuclear-powered, nuclear-armed cruise missile under development for the Russian Armed Forces. The missile is claimed to have virtually unlimited range

It Looks Like Russia’s Nuclear-Powered Cruise Missile Test Program Is Back In Business
Satellite imagery indicates that work on the controversial Burevestnik missile has resumed at a test site in the Russian Far North.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

And still none of the nuclear planes come near the observed capabilities of birds.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
need update on how close our scientists are to creating those big drills that beebop and rocksteady drive around in in the ninja turtles cartoon. pls copy results to climate change thread, subject : MOLE-MEN

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

oh and on that site I linked the two Science Frontiers books were just compilations of his Science Frontiers newsletter. all of the articles are on the site for free. I would love to get them in hardback to go with the others though.

I also went back through the books and bought the only remaining one I don't have which wasn't sold out (Mysterious Universe) lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Rickshaw posted:

haven't seen this before. pretty interesting. lol at the narrator's delivery

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Rickshaw posted:

It's just a school bus.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Log082 posted:

It's not really on topic for the thread, but the nuclear aircraft program (the declassified part, anyway) is an amazing, and amazingly dumb, story. The short version goes something like: You know how the Navy's nuclear program is incredibly competent and has never had a major disaster? Well, all of the normal incompetence has to go somewhere, and guess which service got it?

The plan for a nuclear aircraft involved an air cooled (because coolant was too heavy) unshielded reactor (because shielding was too heavy) that drove turbine engines directly (because an electric transmission was too heavy, and presumably too reliable) and a very 'careful' design to make sure all of the emitted radiation was pointed away from the pilots. Ground service was planned equally carefully, under the apparent theory that if ground crews could manage not to get sucked into a rotating turbine they could apply the same "don't step here" techniques to, essentially, the entirety of the rest of the aircraft.

All of this was when operating as planned. When things didn't go as planned, the R&D effort started blowing up reactors.
They also tested aircraft systems and later other materials out in the Georgia National Aircraft Laboratory in Dawsonville Georgia. Then when they ran of of things to do, they just hoisted the reactor out of the pit and ran if for two weeks at full power to simulate the effects of nuclear war and killed pretty much everything within a few thousand feet other than the trees.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
What are some cool forums besides this one about UFOs, aliens, forteana? I read a few subreddits, and they lean too hard into "here's a dumb cell phone video of a kite/balloon/florescent bird, aliens am I right", idolizing certain personalities, hot takes about disclosure etc. I'd be interested in a place where folks have a more balanced takes, or at least more interesting ones that engage with stuff going on outside the echo chamber. E.g. The Drive has presented a couple interesting theories for certain categories of UAPs that just does not get any engagement--either to meaningfully debunk, or to add to the pool of hypotheses. In general, their approach is to ascribe all phenomena to the same cause, usually ETs or, more rarely UTs, which is lazy, but also extremely boring.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

theyre all dead
the few good ones were subsumed by chuds

everyone please prove me wrong ill owe you all a coke

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I don't know of any myself either. The problem is that UFO culture tends to skew older, so you're dealing with a lot of boomers and thus a lot of chuddy poo poo. Take a look at any specifically UFO conference shots of attendees, you'll see the average age is probably 50+.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

I heard abovetopsecret.com described as "boomer /pol" and it's the most accurate summation of that site. It's a bummer, there used to be fun discussions on the aviation projects subforum there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah good point on the CHUDs; over the last few years I have felt an uncomfortable overlap between these subcultures and QAnon crap.

But much of this scene has always had CHUDiness associated with it, at least during my lifetime. I am lame and frequently listen to reruns of old Coast to Cost AM episodes when I'm going to bed, and hearing Art Bell talk politics during the 90s is extremely cringy and feels bad. Of course, certain lines of theorizing tend to be fundamentally racist or regressive--most versions of the ancient astronaut theory, and theories around cultural diffusionism from some ur-race e.g. Atlantis. And the less said about the aliens=demons take the better.

Anyway, I just want a place to talk about spooky aliens in a less dumb way, and without getting radicalized (I checked out above top secret for the first time in years, and Jesus Christ...). Maybe I need to check out Usenet again