Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

nothing can possibly go wrong if we work the money printing machine to pay for this war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Monetary policy DLC confirmed

Bimetallism or bust!!!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

am I misremembering or did a lot of the insurgent military doctrine used today get developed after this era with Mao and Ho Chi Minh?

People's War is firmly in Hearts of Iron territory, yeah

VostokProgram posted:

Monetary policy DLC confirmed

that way lies ruination of both man and cpu lmao

proposed project name: "Anward's Folly"

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

So, apparently all my years of playing Paradox games have led to this - the ultimate Paradox game. I can safely say that I will definitely throw money at this game the moment it comes out.

Victoria 2 was before my time, but now I see why the game had its dedicated following.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 27, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I dont understand the thing about the money that goes into your treasury having diminishing returns, but I'm an idiot and also tired.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's like how when you put ten bucks into your wallet and then you have ten bucks. But when you put in another ten bucks you only have nineteen bucks. :pseudo:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont understand the thing about the money that goes into your treasury having diminishing returns, but I'm an idiot and also tired.

my guess is that it's a balance thing so you don't end up having a treasure balance of ĢInfinite and then never ever have to worry about money again

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
From my understanding, there's a Gold Reserve Limit (which based on the debt limit is formed on how big the cash reserves of all your buildings are). All your excess money is automatically converted into the Gold Reserve 1:1 until you hit the Gold Reserve Limit. After that, you hit diminishing returns where having a net income of $10k for the week is converted into only, say, $2k worth of Gold Reserve. That way instead of incentivizing running your budget surplus as high as possible to build up your Gold Reserve, you actually want to try and balance your budget and cut into your surplus.

And then the Debt Ceiling is the opposite, but if you hit it you instantly default and have to deal with that. But it's still okay to run a deficit all the way up to $1 below the Debt Ceiling and it might even be the optimal strategy at the time if risky.

There's also iirc no inflation in the base game so I guess it kind of doubles as that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Zeron posted:

From my understanding, there's a Gold Reserve Limit (which based on the debt limit is formed on how big the cash reserves of all your buildings are). All your excess money is automatically converted into the Gold Reserve 1:1 until you hit the Gold Reserve Limit. After that, you hit diminishing returns where having a net income of $10k for the week is converted into only, say, $2k worth of Gold Reserve. That way instead of incentivizing running your budget surplus as high as possible to build up your Gold Reserve, you actually want to try and balance your budget and cut into your surplus.

And then the Debt Ceiling is the opposite, but if you hit it you instantly default and have to deal with that. But it's still okay to run a deficit all the way up to $1 below the Debt Ceiling and it might even be the optimal strategy at the time if risky.
Thank you for explaining.
... is there any basis in reality for that? Because it sounds weird to me, someone who does not know anything about state-level financials.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Gold Reserve Limit feels a bit like Inflation; the value of money is going down as the supply of money goes up, except more explicitly.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

... is there any basis in reality for that? Because it sounds weird to me, someone who does not know anything about state-level financials.

Not really from what I know? It's mostly condensing a whole lot of economic factors and real life situations into an easy to read abstract mechanic instead. Governments building themselves massive war chests of money with no consequence hasn't ever really been a big thing in real life, but you have to be able to do it to some extent for it to be a fun game. "Balancing" the budget by not letting your surplus get too high is a very common and well known nation budgeting strategy though so the mechanic basically serves as an excuse to facilitate and get the player to do that.

Edit: Like usually with Victoria games the Tax/Tariff game is almost entirely "How high can I get away with?" Meanwhile with the new system, Taxes/Tariffs are a much bigger consideration where as high as you can get away with isn't the optimal strategy anymore because having income as high as possible may not be worth the consequences to your pops.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 27, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In general in Victoria II you wanted to aim for a balanced budget to try to encourage pop promotion or capitalists and put a sustainable amount of your income into that, usually by lowering tarrifs as an indirect subsidy to your pops; which could get really expensive; the gold limit seems like a stronger way of conveying that the player should do this strategy, or variations thereof.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Gold Reserve Limit feels a bit like Inflation; the value of money is going down as the supply of money goes up, except more explicitly.
Supply goes down when it gets locked up in the government's vault though, unless the surplus is entirely from newly mined gold entering the system. Clearly these are extremist deflationists, trying to shrink the money supply by physically destroying it.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoejgnFFP8

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I like to think it represents that if you try to build a huge gold stockpile then people in your government will spend that stockpile on stupid garbage so there's diminishing returns on how much cash you can pile up before it gets lost as waste.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Ithle01 posted:

So, apparently all my years of playing Paradox games have led to this - the ultimate Paradox game. I can safely say that I will definitely throw money at this game the moment it comes out.
It's clearly a very well designed game, and it's been a long time since Paradox had one of those, but their recent releases are not ones that have me confident they'll definitely execute on said design. That said, I'm literally the ideal buyer of this so I'm sure I will break.

Radia fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 27, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The explanation they give is that when the government is hoarding gold, it increases the price of gold. See the tooltip here.

I have no idea if this is accurate.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
It would be the opposite in real life, the more gold you ahve the stronger your currency is and the more confident people will be in your currency causing its value to go up or at least remain stable.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Lady Radia posted:

It's clearly a very well designed game, and it's been a long time since Paradox had one of those, but their recent releases are not ones that have me confident they'll definitely execute on said design. That said, I'm literally the ideal buyer of this so I'm sure I will break.

CK3 was good at release, some minor bugs and some tuning needed but definitely a solid release. It was lacking in content compared to the CK2 with all the DLC and I found it a bit too easy but that's not really a fair comparison and I have played like 3000 hours of paradox games. I was burned badly by Imperator but CK3 redeemed paradox a bit in my eyes. Also I'm a sucker and will buy V3 without any doubt.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There should be a way to blow up Fort Knox so your gold reserves skyrocket in value.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pdx is big enough now that they have big variations in team quality between constitutent studio dealios

leviathan was made by their d-team. this one's their a-team.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Ithle01 posted:

I like to think it represents that if you try to build a huge gold stockpile then people in your government will spend that stockpile on stupid garbage so there's diminishing returns on how much cash you can pile up before it gets lost as waste.

I was already going to spend it on stupid garbage though

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Supply goes down when it gets locked up in the government's vault though,
It's this, the biggest constraint on British economic growth in the 19th century was a shortage of gold and silver causing deflation.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Look a grand strategy game that actually implements deficit spending makes this a day 1 purchase for me

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

I was already going to spend it on stupid garbage though

Well then don't leave it laying around so your inbred family and corrupt bureaucrats can steal it or appropriate it to spend on their country houses and mistresses.

edit: honestly surprised we didn't see "monarch lifestyle" as part of expenses listed in the state budget tab.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

pdx is big enough now that they have big variations in team quality between constitutent studio dealios

leviathan was made by their d-team. this one's their a-team.

i dont know that paradox has an a-team anymore, though these designs might prove me wrong. CK3, though, is a pretty well designed game, but ultimately just..empty, with little replay value.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

i dont know that paradox has an a-team anymore, though these designs might prove me wrong. CK3, though, is a pretty well designed game, but ultimately just..empty, with little replay value.

the reason it seems like they don't have an a-team is because the a-team has been locked up working on v3 for years now

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Or so we hope, at least

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I hope this game goes deep into revolutions. One thing less obvious is that countries often hosted the political exiles of neighbors - especially revolutionary ones. Liberal reformers, social reformers, economic reformers, reactionaries - it can work with the pop system but occasionally you do have your larger than life personalities like Lenin or Trotsky pushing the world when they get ahold of some power.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Takanago posted:

my guess is that it's a balance thing so you don't end up having a treasure balance of £Infinite and then never ever have to worry about money again

I cheated myself money in Vic 2 at first just because I had no real idea how the economy worked. Which was kind of a bad call because that was half of the fun of Vic 2, but it also meant I had no issues with just giving my workers decent wages, working hours and healthcare.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

evilmiera posted:

I cheated myself money in Vic 2 at first just because I had no real idea how the economy worked. Which was kind of a bad call because that was half of the fun of Vic 2, but it also meant I had no issues with just giving my workers decent wages, working hours and healthcare.

We had a modded game once where due to various issues there was actually a serious liquidity shortage and cheating in millions of money for everyone was the only way to jump start the economy to fix things :D

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

We had a modded game once where due to various issues there was actually a serious liquidity shortage and cheating in millions of money for everyone was the only way to jump start the economy to fix things :D

There were some discussions a year or two ago and it seems liquidity shortage is pretty common in late-game Vic2 and the cause of much of the late-game economic jank. There were a few attempts at mods to fix it, but I don't know how well they worked.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

been playing CK3 recently and it has been absolutely fun though, much more than the second one for me at least

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

idhrendur posted:

There were some discussions a year or two ago and it seems liquidity shortage is pretty common in late-game Vic2 and the cause of much of the late-game economic jank. There were a few attempts at mods to fix it, but I don't know how well they worked.

In our case it was I think mostly because the precious metal mines weren't working which wasn't generating the money needed for aristocrats to pay wages for rgo's or something. It was weird.

Our late game wasn't bad that time though as we vastly reduced the amount of pops that we convert with relative to vanilla.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

In our case it was I think mostly because the precious metal mines weren't working which wasn't generating the money needed for aristocrats to pay wages for rgo's or something. It was weird.

Our late game wasn't bad that time though as we vastly reduced the amount of pops that we convert with relative to vanilla.

Aha, that was on purpose! When the team refactored all the code allowing for extreme pop redistribution, we didn't understand the purpose of that divide by two and assumed it must have been a bug.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

idhrendur posted:

Aha, that was on purpose! When the team refactored all the code allowing for extreme pop redistribution, we didn't understand the purpose of that divide by two and assumed it must have been a bug.

Buahaha, the joys of working with code meant for another groups specific niche requirements!

I think I had it where you could specify as a percentage, the total amount of redistribution, say 50% of the vanilla population is redistributed according to EU weights based on development. And then we hard coded it a division by 2 and then I think recently division by four because the megablobs that survive EU the size of Europe would just dominate the game too much.

The RGO redistribution as I understand it is a separate thing, which is what bugged out here and meant no precious metal mines which cratered the economy immediately as every single rgo fired all its workers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Buller posted:

It would be the opposite in real life, the more gold you ahve the stronger your currency is and the more confident people will be in your currency causing its value to go up or at least remain stable.
Victoria's economy seems to be modeled around bimetalism/the gold standard, which doesn't need gold in a vault to back the currency because the currency back itself, being made of silver or gold. Of course currency was a more complicated matter than this, given that bimetallism got hosed up by the value of gold and silver diverging substantially from when the currency exchange rates were initially set, or countries debasing their currency (Papal States and Greece), or printing paper money in contravention of the treaties of their currency unions (France and Italy). And that's before you get into the concept of company scrip.

Thinking about all this, I can't help but wonder what a more complex currency would do to Victoria 3. The Latin Monetary Union seems to have resulted in (or at least not prevented) some perverse incentives that encouraged individual countries to gently caress things up for everyone else in the union - which included most of non-Germanic Europe near the end of the 19th century - which might result in some interesting gameplay? Though perhaps it would be too easily exploitable/solvable, turning it into busywork instead of another dimension to the economic model.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

Developers have also given tons of "we tried X, but found it unworkable / unfunny / not worth the effort / etc" when someone has suggested X, which really helps with this sentiment.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is something I'd really like to see fleshed out Inna DLC/update. I don't see why you couldn't come up with a confidence/interest rate based mechanic rather than a hard cutoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

This is something I'd really like to see fleshed out Inna DLC/update. I don't see why you couldn't come up with a confidence/interest rate based mechanic rather than a hard cutoff.

gold vs silver vs bimetal was a major political issue off and on for most of the vicky era which had serious implications for the relative purchasing power of the poor vs that of the rich so i'm sure it's planned at some point