Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HomestarCanter posted:

:justpost:

I know that I lurk plenty of threads without saying anything.

:same:

Unless it's a game I've played and know a lot about I generally keep my mouth shut because I feel like I have nothing to contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I had another run at Chroma Squad image settings, and this time I decided to lower the game resolution to 720. This results in screenshots like this:

And portraits like this with no need to resize.

But I worry that the screenshots are a bit big and it's kinda awkward to size down without messing up the text or making it very small. The next smallest resolutions available are extremely tiny and I'm not going to play like that.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I'm not familiar with Chroma Squad but the game does not seem to be built for any resolutions other than 1080p and 2160p. The resolution they use for the base pixelated image looks like it's 384x216, which is then getting point resized to whatever your display resolution is. That's good for 1080p and 2160p where it produces 5x5 and 10x10 pixel blocks, and terrible for everything else. For your 720p, note for instance the inconsistent text line width depending on where the characters happen to be and weird pixels sizes along the green screen fringe.

If the game is pure pixel graphics I'd suggest playing in 1920x1080, which does have correct pixel sizes everywhere, and then resizing down to either 768x432 or 1152x648 using a point filter. That's plain "resize" in irfanview, and something like point or box filter elsewhere. You could play the game in the target resolution if it is available, but I suspect those two are not in the dropdown.

If the game has any special effects that run at a non-pixel resolution -- this is pretty common in modern pixel art stuff -- then you'll want to use a resample filter instead of a point resize to avoid them getting mangled.

Anyhow, at those screenshot sizes you'd get something like this (resized from a 1920x1080 image on the Steam store page).

738x432:

1152x648

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The LP archive limits images to 900 pixels wide, so keep that in mind if you want your LP to be archived.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I tried a quick 1080p recording and did the 1152x648 resize and came out with this

Which also gives me portraits of this size!

I think that's the ticket.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

So I tried a quick 1080p recording and did the 1152x648 resize and came out with this

Which also gives me portraits of this size!

I think that's the ticket.

I'd muck a bit more with the original resolution, non-integer scaling tends to look like poo poo if you want to have crisp pixels (as seen in the small text in your screenshot).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm gonna be honest, that's just how the text is. I'm running the game at the highest resolution it'll go. It looks like that in the raw screenshot. That particular font they use for the smaller text is just not great.

Like, it's so thin that it's hard to retain the overall crispness and also make the font look good.

E: I think this works?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 20, 2021

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Pierzak posted:

I'd muck a bit more with the original resolution, non-integer scaling tends to look like poo poo if you want to have crisp pixels (as seen in the small text in your screenshot).

This is downscaling so the only integer option is 0 :)

This seems better for the UI but it means messing up the pixels in the main play area again. At 960x540 every line alternates between 2 and 3 pixels in height so the greenscreen fringe is messed up again, for instance.

Anyhow, looks like Chroma Squad indeed does simultaneously use different pixel resolutions for different game elements. The small text and other UI overlay elements in that particular screenshot look like 3x3 pixel blocks. It's not uncommon for modern pixel art stuff, but they seem to have really taken it to an extreme.

The main game window seems to use 5x5 pixels when playing, but seem to be 6x6 pixels when used as "zoomed in" backgrounds for some menus. The UI pixel scale seems to vary between 2x2, 3x3, 6x6 or 12x12 pixel blocks for different fonts and elements. The UI also seems to do font layout and kerning at a subpixel scale, and occasionally fucks up its own text rendering at 1080p with some letters and words ending up lopsided.

The result is that even though it's a pixel game it's just not possible to preserve crisp pixels everywhere when resizing. The main game will generally look best at 0.2x, 0.4x, 0.6x or 0.8x scaling. The UI mostly has versions of 3x3 pixels and should mostly handle 0.33x or 0.67x scaling (720p), but because they use subpixel offsets it still wont resize without filtering.

That means a couple of things:
- You have to do a filtered resample, not a simple point sample resize as is usually recommended with pixel graphics. This will blur pixels, but the alternative is worse.
- You can control which part of the image is hosed up the least to some extent.
-- 768x432 (0.4x scale) and 1152x648 (0.6x scale) will generally preserve the pixels in the main play area, minus whatever blurring (E: and ringing) the resample does, but not the UI.
-- 1280x720 (0.67x scale) will preserve the UI and menus like the equipment screen, most of the time, when the font kerning plays nice.

Example screenshots. The base 1920x1080 shots are taken from the Steam page, so I'm just hoping the publisher didn't mess them up. Smaller versions are rescaled using a Lanczos filter (which is a high quality filter in general, but may or may not be best for this use case).

1: UI heavy. Fonts are 3x3 or 2x2 pixels wide, background is I think 6x6 pixels.

Note the base screenshot itself has messed up pixel sizes on some text.

2: In-game. 5x5 pixels, but font is offset by subpixels.

tl;dr: do a resample to a lower target resolution of your choice. Options include 768x432 (matches the main game graphics, meets lparchive restrictions), 1152x648 (matches main game graphics, but over width for archive) or 1280x720 (720p is a standard resolution, matches most of the menus and UI).

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 21, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I had been experimenting with resamples myself, and I think the pretty slight drop in crispness is a price I'll have to pay. I think it helps that the sprites use a lot of just solid colors without a whole lot of shading, which doesn't make the artifacting as bad as it could be with pixel art.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 21, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I had been experimenting with resamples myself, and I think the pretty slight drop in crispness is a price I'll have to pay. I think it helps that the sprites use a lot of just solid colors without a whole lot of shading, which doesn't make the artifacting as bad as it could be with pixel art.

There also comes a point where you can't be consumed by perfectionism. Most of your audience will appreciate the mere effort put into it itself, and if anyone wants to be That Guy and take issue with it... gently caress 'em. That Guy sucks anyway. Yes, you're probably going to notice it all the time and it'll bug the hell out of you looking back on it, but the enjoyment that other people eke out of it is more important in the long run.

It's good you're going through all of this ahead of time and getting the fundamentals down because trying to do this on the fly once the LP is rolling is a pain in the rear end, but I think you're getting close to :justpost: time now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the next step is to record for the test post.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

This is downscaling so the only integer option is 0 :)
Is it really that bad? I remember trying out Chroma Squad and having it look much better w/r/t text scaling, and I'd definitely notice immediately if something was off :v:
Maybe running it in a lower resolution from the start did the trick? I probably used 1280x800 or something similar.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The perfect aspect ratio is 420:69, if you’re not using that I’m sorry but your LP is a failure.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pierzak posted:

Is it really that bad? I remember trying out Chroma Squad and having it look much better w/r/t text scaling, and I'd definitely notice immediately if something was off :v:
Maybe running it in a lower resolution from the start did the trick? I probably used 1280x800 or something similar.
:thejoke: is that an integer number can't have fractions or decimals, so the only downscaling option that is actually an integer is 0.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Test post for a planned Anno 2070 LP. I'm intending to do this LP for absolute beginners, given how dense and opaque Anno games are, so I'm trying to be both completely informative and also a bit narrative.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It looks fine to me. Everything is pretty clearly explained and it wasn't too difficult to follow along and understand what you were doing. I'd say you're good to post!

Also worth mentioning, and I'm sure you're well aware, if you want to get it archived, you should resize your images to 900px wide at maximum. If not, then no need to worry!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Because I've seen a few Let's Plays of MMOs pop up, I was curious if there's any guiding theme/recommendations on how to do them properly. I'm halfway tempted once I'm done with my Empire Earth LP to do a Let's Ironman run of the free content of Runescape (the modern version, not old school), but I'm a little scared off by the notion of making grinding updates interesting after a certain point. Though there will certainly be a bunch of swapping between the grinding, accomplishing various milestones, and doing quests. Can it be done, or have people focused only on heavily story-focused MMOs precisely to avoid this problem?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 5, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jossar posted:

Because I've seen a few Let's Plays of MMOs pop up, I was curious if there's any guiding theme/recommendations on how to do them properly. I'm halfway tempted once I'm done with my Empire Earth LP to do a Let's Ironman run of the free content of Runescape (the modern version, not old school), but I'm a little scared off by the notion of making grinding updates interesting after a certain point. Though there will certainly be a bunch of swapping between the grinding, accomplishing various milestones, and doing quests. Can it be done, or have people focused only on heavily story-focused MMOs precisely to avoid this problem?
I'm not familiar with Runescape, so YMMV, but do you need to show all the grinding on-screen in your LP?

As a viewer, I don't really need to see you killing 47 slimes; just do one pre-grind screenshot of your character stats, one pic of the area where you're doing your grind, maybe a couple images of you killing a slime, then a short written description where you say "okay, now imagine that 46 more times" and jump straight to your end-of-grind screenshot of the character stats showing off where you stopped your grind.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
That's fair. The only thing is that the grinding is fairly core to the experience, but I suppose I just didn't take into account that I've been doing that sort of thing all along in my other screenshot LPs. Something to consider, thanks!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jossar posted:

That's fair. The only thing is that the grinding is fairly core to the experience, but I suppose I just didn't take into account that I've been doing that sort of thing all along in my other screenshot LPs. Something to consider, thanks!

Grinding being core to an experience is a big reason why people like screenshot LPs/edited videos - so they don't have to sit through that themselves. A good rule of thumb is if you wouldn't want to read/watch an update of X, why would someone else who isn't as emotionally invested as you are?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Speaking as someone doing one of those aforementioned story-heavy MMO LPs, I just abstract away grinding because it's not worth showing at all in the case of Final Fantasy 14. But if I wanted to show that off, I'd probably just drop 3-5 screenshots showing the process by which I had been doing grinding. In my experience, that's just enough to communicate the idea of what you've been doing while not actually making the audience go through the 8 hours you spent doing it off-camera.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jossar posted:

Training montage?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jossar posted:

Having lived through the heydays of both 04-07 RS and modern RS, I think it's safe to say that most people don't care about how you grind outside of a line or two unless it's a very interesting way to grind.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

watching someone mine 6400 silver ore is hella boring, seeing a few screenshots with the explanation text "i've mined 6400 silver ore, out of my goal of 10k, so that i can craft those into tiaras, because that's the most efficient way of training my crafting high enough to make a special amulet, because that amulet will make it more efficient to train my ranged level" is much better

(my brother plays hardcore ironman os runescape and i hear his tales)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, at best really monotonous or long methods should just have a footnote dictating what was done. Unless the method itself is interesting or has a ton of high effort involved, there's no need to go into all of it. Especially since grinding can take several hours or several days depending on the method and goal you want to reach. Especially OSRS Runecrafting. :suicide:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, at best really monotonous or long methods should just have a footnote dictating what was done.

I feel attacked.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TBF, "I got Barrett and Cloud to level 99 in the first reactor" is at least one level beyond ordinary grinding.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Didn't some gaming news outlet write an article on that?

It must have been a painful experience to grind this hard.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Some Youtuber named Cyber's Hell or something made a video about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfnQcFNCp4

People should really check this guy out, I feel like he's underappreciated here.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Cybershell did a pretty entertaining breakdown of it: https://youtu.be/MBfnQcFNCp4

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

life_source posted:

Some Youtuber named Cyber's Hell or something made a video about it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfnQcFNCp4

People should really check this guy out, I feel like he's underappreciated here.

Thanks, I just finished watching it. Was a good time.

Sally posted:

Cybershell did a pretty entertaining breakdown of it: https://youtu.be/MBfnQcFNCp4

Thanks, I'm watching it again now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

Both The Verge and Kotaku covered it, yes. So between this and Detroit: Become Human, both Circl Siblings are Video Game Famous.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Hey guys, it's test post time!

I'm pretty much done working out the fiddly bits for a Library of Ruina LP, but it's always a good idea to put up the test stuff to make sure there's nothing obvious that I've missed or any good ideas for how to do things better-it's a very different game than my last LP so I'm in uncharted territory here.

Opening Post

Update 1

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
This isn't an interest check, more of a rule check I guess?

So there's a huge BotW mod overhaul, that adds crafting, new skills, removes the regen from master mode, adds new tamable horses and quests, plus survival elements like Hunger and what not. I want to show it off.

It's impossible to install without pirating it, there's no other way to do it. Am I allowed to let's play this for the forums?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People have LP'd romhacks countless times, I don't see an issue

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
ROM Hacks are fine. I'll grant that mods of console games from within the current generation are a little novel here but I'm certainly not going to object.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's been a good, long while since I skulked around graced this subforum with my presence. Talk in the Anno 1800 thread and Cythereal running an Anno 2070 LP convinced me to do another LP.

I realize the starting post is a bit bare, but it's going to grow in time with content as the thread grows:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159462

First post:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=159463

That look good? Pictures are a good size? Writing isn't too abjectly horrible?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

- banner pic is really big yo

- other pics are a good size on my screen

- it's hard to read any bits of the UI that are on the yellowing paper background. i don't know of any way to improve this :v:

- writing seems fine

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hey a quick question for everybody here...

Since Clyp has now also removed the free tier (well, they did it some months ago but I only found out recently), what is the go to place for uploading of short audio clips these days?

Or do you just upload it on Youtube with a static background image or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LPix allows music as long as it's under the 2MB limit, otherwise your best bet is probably YouTube afaik.