Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Class Warcraft posted:

<Anything not US UK Germany USSR Japan> has very little model support and gets mostly ignored in the various campaign books so they're not very popular - although their national traits are actually pretty decent. I would actually call the Italians the dark horse army because their main national trait can be a huge liability.

FTFY

Although considering what model support did to Hungary, maybe it's for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heck, even Japan are a distinct second-tier faction to bother with, after you've run out of variations of paratroopers for the big three and decided to do an ANZAC add on kit for the British figures.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Heck, even Japan are a distinct second-tier faction to bother with, after you've run out of variations of paratroopers for the big three and decided to do an ANZAC add on kit for the British figures.

There's still a lack of nice looking WW2 Japanese 28mm minis. A.k.a not Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany style minis.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Romania also suffers from having a more distinct uniform than most undersupported WW2 countries. You can slap down a GI for free french or a german for finns/hungarians and most people won't notice.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

There's still a lack of nice looking WW2 Japanese 28mm minis. A.k.a not Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany style minis.

Other scales too. I was looking for 20mm a while back and all the cheap plastics were goofy banzai charge poses or expensive AB options.

BA Chatte: isn't it also never worth it to take anything higher than unexperienced for mortar teams since the training level doesn't improve the 6+ on-target mechanics? Might be different in v2 though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Other scales too. I was looking for 20mm a while back and all the cheap plastics were goofy banzai charge poses or expensive AB options.

BA Chatte: isn't it also never worth it to take anything higher than unexperienced for mortar teams since the training level doesn't improve the 6+ on-target mechanics? Might be different in v2 though.

It's a very weird quirk that there are much much better minis in 28mm for the Russo-Japanese War than there is for WW2.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think the 3D printing is gonna be the savior of the underserved armies.

We've already got excellent options for Finns, Soviets, and Japanese (although some of these do still suffer from Dr Seuss Syndrome).

Springfield Fatts posted:

Inexperienced mortars can't take spotters which is pretty crippling for anything aside from light mortars, otherwise yeah it makes no difference in chances to hit.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 23, 2021

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

It's a very weird quirk that there are much much better minis in 28mm for the Russo-Japanese War than there is for WW2.

Those Empress Miniatures figures are gorgeous aren’t they? The Russians are also perfect for WW1.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

JcDent posted:

Although considering what model support did to Hungary, maybe it's for the best

What happened?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

working mom posted:

What happened?

tbf the artist who decided to paint their mouths as black caverns didn't do the models any favors but yeah...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

tbf the artist who decided to paint their mouths as black caverns didn't do the models any favors but yeah...

hahaha brilliant! :D

Also, I just checked my BA list and realised that I actually had a 1st Lt this whole time, but was playing him like a 2nd Lt :saddowns: I think I might end up swapping my medium howitzer for a light AT gun (since the howitzer's more expensive than the medium mortar) and then use the leftover points on AT grenades for a squad or two, maybe. I'm also thinking about swapping out my SMG NCOs for rifles, seeing as SMGs ended up being hopeless in our game. LMGs just seem like way better bang for your buck

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Whoever at Warlord is responsible for their studio paint jobs needs to loving stop.

Take the Saxon Miniatures range they acquired a couple of years back as an example.

Here are some that were painted prior to the acquisition:

And afterwards by Warlord:

They're not horrible, but they're also not exactly inspiring me to buy them either.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

hahaha brilliant! :D

Also, I just checked my BA list and realised that I actually had a 1st Lt this whole time, but was playing him like a 2nd Lt :saddowns: I think I might end up swapping my medium howitzer for a light AT gun (since the howitzer's more expensive than the medium mortar) and then use the leftover points on AT grenades for a squad or two, maybe. I'm also thinking about swapping out my SMG NCOs for rifles, seeing as SMGs ended up being hopeless in our game. LMGs just seem like way better bang for your buck

AT grenades are really hard to hurt anything with, unfortunately. SMGs own, but you generally want to take a whole squad of them, or none at all because if when you fire your rifles/LMG's they usually won't be able to fire along.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

AT grenades are really hard to hurt anything with, unfortunately. SMGs own, but you generally want to take a whole squad of them, or none at all because if when you fire your rifles/LMG's they usually won't be able to fire along.

Ah, that sucks. Hmm, back to the drawing board I guess. I might take a medic perhaps, seeing as I'm pretty sure I have an Alpini model with a stretcher somewhere. Not sure what else to blow the points on though, really. Maybe veteran experience for my Lt? Since he's only a regular, from memory. Eh whatever, I'll figure something out

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Endman posted:

Whoever at Warlord is responsible for their studio paint jobs needs to loving stop.

Take the Saxon Miniatures range they acquired a couple of years back as an example.

They're not horrible, but they're also not exactly inspiring me to buy them either.

I really like their painting because it doesn't make me just want to quit painting when I see how poo poo my minis look compared to theirs

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, that sucks. Hmm, back to the drawing board I guess. I might take a medic perhaps, seeing as I'm pretty sure I have an Alpini model with a stretcher somewhere. Not sure what else to blow the points on though, really. Maybe veteran experience for my Lt? Since he's only a regular, from memory. Eh whatever, I'll figure something out

How many points we talking here?

Sniper and flamethrower teams are both really good if you have 50 points to spare.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

How many points we talking here?

Sniper and flamethrower teams are both really good if you have 50 points to spare.

Oh, yeah that's a good idea! It's 45pts, but I can shave off a few for a sniper team. Nice one - I'm not sure how I forgot about that!
(Could do a flamer team, but I've already got a flamer tankette. I don't want my Lt to be tried for warcrimes post-war, after all!)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

>not giving the NCO an SMG

why even play ww2 then :colbert:

Endman
May 18, 2010

alg posted:

I really like their painting because it doesn't make me just want to quit painting when I see how poo poo my minis look compared to theirs

I suppose that's one advantage.

And the best painter in the world couldn't make their WW2 sculpts look good after Paul Hicks stopped working for them, so I suppose it doesn't matter there either. :v:

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Class Warcraft posted:

Oh god, it's like a heatwave in a wax museum

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

working mom posted:

Oh god, it's like a heatwave in a wax museum

The two top right guys are still my fav Hungarian. When they team up, they go as "The Strokes".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We'll always have Perry

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We'll always have Perry

Yes, but they're mostly interested in Pre-WWII European stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

E: misparsed

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Going back to book chat, Beevor's Stalingrad and the follow up Berlin are both excellent. I also really liked Leningrad by Anna Reid.

Basically, I can't just recommend one book....

Endman
May 18, 2010

Beevor's Berlin is a horrific nightmare book of horrible warcrimes. Very well written but just be aware before you dive in.

It also got him banned from the Russian archives, which is funny.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm not going to start collecting WW2 in 3mm, but this battle report looks fantastic. The rules they're testing look interesting too, they're doing a corps scale engagement over 3 days in an afternoon. It's a good channel for historical miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT0p2KIe0Mo

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

mllaneza posted:

I'm not going to start collecting WW2 in 3mm, but this battle report looks fantastic. The rules they're testing look interesting too, they're doing a corps scale engagement over 3 days in an afternoon. It's a good channel for historical miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT0p2KIe0Mo

:swoon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Here are some lovely pics of what I've done over the last few months. I am not a good painter by any means, but I am really happy with what I've ended up with. This many minis is a lot of practice.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

alg posted:

Here are some lovely pics of what I've done over the last few months. I am not a good painter by any means, but I am really happy with what I've ended up with. This many minis is a lot of practice.

I've heard of floorgaming but this is ridiculous!

(they look great)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've heard of floorgaming but this is ridiculous!

(they look great)
Donald Featherstone's books did have advice on playing wargames in bed.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Za Rodina/10

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

alg posted:

That's one comfy gaming mat.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Cigar Box Battle makes their own images in really high res and prints them on fleece blankets at places like Wal-mart, I'm almost 100% sure. They're quality images and I like the fleece blankets because they roll up really small and nice unlike mouse mat style ones.

I painted a bunch of 1/600 ironclads lately, just finished some from Peter Pig too though I've decided to re-do their base colors because they're off. Here are some from Thoroughbred Miniatures:

Endman
May 18, 2010

alg posted:

11/10 for the KV-2

alg
Mar 14, 2007

thanks guys, it's actually a really good feeling to have a fully painted army. playing some BA on Monday

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok so usually I stay away from anything after WW2, but a bunch of clubmates are preparing a homebrew system for very small scale modern skirmish, which they'll play set in Syria around 2015-17ish. Since the main rules writer is not a big fan of painting, he asked me to paint up a set of I Can't Belive It's Not Russians from Empress miniatures. These are clearly not Russians, and you'd be especially safe to say that they are not the 431st Naval Reconnaissance Point or similar special forces that clearly were not operating inside Syria around that time. What a silly thing that would have been.

I did a completely lazy job on the camo by mainly just reusing the main colours I used for the Splittermüster on my Fallshirmjägers, as I thought it looked pretty close to the pictures I could find.

The whole force preparing to mess with ISIS, Kurds, Turks or whatever force happens to be allied against them this week.

First up are the grunts with the diverse sets of automatic rifles:

Some MGs and anti-vehicle weapons:

I mixed up some camo schemes to reflect that the not-Russians had a mix of uniform equipment and personally supplied stuff in Syria. Especially things like weapons and magazines were all over the place.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 29, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Looks great! That camo must've been a pain though, for so many guys (well, it would've been for me, that's for sure!)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Endman posted:

they all look like that one photo of jimmy whales from a decade ago when he was begging for wikipedia funding and it looked like he'd poo poo himself the second the shutters went off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Ok so usually I stay away from anything after WW2, but a bunch of clubmates are preparing a homebrew system for very small scale modern skirmish, which they'll play set in Syria around 2015-17ish. Since the main rules writer is not a big fan of painting, he asked me to paint up a set of I Can't Belive It's Not Russians from Empress miniatures. These are clearly not Russians, and you'd be especially safe to say that they are not the 431st Naval Reconnaissance Point or similar special forces that clearly were not operating inside Syria around that time. What a silly thing that would have been.

I did a completely lazy job on the camo by mainly just reusing the main colours I used for the Splittermüster on my Fallshirmjägers, as I thought it looked pretty close to the pictures I could find.

The whole force preparing to mess with ISIS, Kurds, Turks or whatever force happens to be allied against them this week.

First up are the grunts with the diverse sets of automatic rifles:

Looks great. The guys with what look to be long-barrelled AKs are likely using RPK-74M LMGs. Looks to be roughly two sections with a designated marksman, PKMG mounted in the MMG role, and RPG-32 team. Understrength platoons at that level of Definitely Not Spetznaz skill would be all you'd need for Force on Force back in the day, up against five or six times their number easy.