Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
An aside here Chinese hegemony will be tricky cause while yea the world generally hates America, there is a particular hated and distaste for China in large swathes of Asia. Talking to relatives in Iran who just announced a free deal with them, they are not happy with it and do not like them. There just tends be a lot of white tankies here who probably have never met anyone from Asia or have any connection with them there. Also, on top of their feelings for China, covid didn't help. They absolutely could become the next superpower, but they have a lot of work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my friend got a masters in animal science and his thesis was about iron deficiencies in a specific animal: the human. apparently a ton of people have iron deficiencies and it is actually extremely damaging to a whole variety of organs. The Red Cross (a blood company) uses a completely ridiculous worthless test for iron deficiency and as a result continuously worsens this iron deficiency crisis but they don't care because 1) a good iron test costs like 10x as much and 2) they sell blood, that's their business, if they turned people away they'd have less blood to sell.

it was a wild defense that he passed and all the professors on his committee were enthusiastically like "we gotta publish this" and obviously no journals wanted anything to do with it.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Petey posted:

my friend is trying to persuade his office to adopt masking again. he thinks the strategy to do this is to point out the costs to the office of widespread infection and resulting long covid (his office seems to be very "well it's just endemic now nothing to do be done"). does anyone have links to the best papers on prevalence and severity of long covid even among the vaccinated handy?

Anyone refusing to mask after eighteen months of this won’t be compelled by a paper.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Homocow posted:

every time you get a covid booster shot you get a little gayer

That reminds me, data still seems to indicate decrease in sperm count and decreased sperm motility after infection.

But…. We have to have in person learning for our kid’s future.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

brugroffil posted:

Maybe #2 behind antibiotics

disagree

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They're both pretty great!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1431435254439555074

The curve is flattening

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Nodelphi posted:

That reminds me, data still seems to indicate decrease in sperm count and decreased sperm motility after infection.

also ED that doesn't respond to current ED medication

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

brugroffil posted:

They're both pretty great!

:amen:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Can’t believe we’re getting a real covicane this year, at least last year they were prepping for it, RIP Louisiana

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

one week ago:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1428867615422812166?s=20

so hey only 10k more infected and 400 more dead people each day open it the gently caress up

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Testing is down correct and positivity is up?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Trump held his superspreader rallies but other than that we actually loving had schools closed down and extended unemployment and weren't holding huge festivals and opening everything on earth and encouraging people to take off their masks.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Der Meister posted:

vaccines are like no exaggeration the single greatest medical invention of all time lol

brugroffil posted:

Maybe #2 behind antibiotics

this world would be such a hosed place without either

the US needed like a 90%+ polio vaccination rate to eradicate it. 90%+ vaccine acceptance for COVID is NOT going to happen without forced vaccinations

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Death By The Blues posted:

Testing is down correct and positivity is up?

yup. at some point you run out of tests and so the number of new cases gets compressed (that point is like a week ago)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Casey Finnigan posted:

Trump held his superspreader rallies but other than that we actually loving had schools closed down and extended unemployment and weren't holding huge festivals and opening everything on earth and encouraging people to take off their masks.

Trump was encouraging armed resistance against COVID restrictions and absolutely never gave a single gently caress in his life about anyone but himself.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Homocow posted:

germ theory of disease was a triumph

almost all of human history people literally had no idea what caused diseases or knew how to stop their spread

modern people are ingrates

I think our ancestors centuries ago had some deece ideas about stopping spread through NPIs even if they didn’t really “get” germs. Miasma theory wasn’t right but it seems it would require similar measures in practice? idk.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Biden getting slammed with all of this at the same time kind of funny. Feel like there is gonna be some sort of shooting tomorrow as well to round it out.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd really appreciate a quick log of your COVID experience, we haven't had many other fully vaccinated people get bad breakthrough cases. I'm wondering if being a Phase 1a healthcare worker may have worked against you, my wife is in that bucket that got vaccinated in December 2020.

I hope you and your family continue to recover well.

So I became sick rapidly, had a mild sniffle going to bed one night and by noon the next day I was so congested I was almost unintelligible. I tested and came up positive. I then began to get fever and chills. I had tachycardia with heart rate in the 120’s. I received antibody infusion and that night I lost smell and could not sleep with my heart racing and body aches. I don’t remember much of the next two days other than severe sore throat and oxygen sats decreasing to 94% and lots of sleep. By the 4th day I began to feel human again, my last fever was on the fifth day. I had a little relapse on day 6 with increased shortness of breath but thankfully that did not last long. Now on day 8 I feel back to normal except sats aren’t back to pre-covid levels and I still can’t smell.

All in all I am a big believer in a booster and I feel that could have helped me resist a breakthrough infection.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Stereotype posted:

one week ago:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1428867615422812166?s=20

so hey only 10k more infected and 400 more dead people each day open it the gently caress up

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1431443250716479488?s=19

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Jesus Christ.

I don't even want to think about what this is going to be like for the people there. Is there an non-grifty aid fund to donate to?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Homocow posted:

germ theory of disease was a triumph

almost all of human history people literally had no idea what caused diseases or knew how to stop their spread

modern people are ingrates
The crystals and essential oil people on social media have gotten extra crazy this year. They're not only rejecting vaccines, many are explicitly rejecting germ theory. Search facebook or twitter for "germ theory" and you can see this insanity.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Biden getting slammed with all of this at the same time kind of funny. Feel like there is gonna be some sort of shooting tomorrow as well to round it out.

i think he is handling it really well. he is really rising to the occasion. i'm glad we have such a deliberate and confident statesman to lead us in these troubled times

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

curve will flatten, decline a little, and then rip in late october/november

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nodelphi posted:

So I became sick rapidly, had a mild sniffle going to bed one night and by noon the next day I was so congested I was almost unintelligible. I tested and came up positive. I then began to get fever and chills. I had tachycardia with heart rate in the 120’s. I received antibody infusion and that night I lost smell and could not sleep with my heart racing and body aches. I don’t remember much of the next two days other than severe sore throat and oxygen sats decreasing to 94% and lots of sleep. By the 4th day I began to feel human again, my last fever was on the fifth day. I had a little relapse on day 6 with increased shortness of breath but thankfully that did not last long. Now on day 8 I feel back to normal except sats aren’t back to pre-covid levels and I still can’t smell.

All in all I am a big believer in a booster and I feel that could have helped me resist a breakthrough infection.

pretty bad for a breakthrough case. have you had a CXR?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hospitalized is DOWN

DOW is UP

Biden is OPEN

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Stereotype posted:

my friend got a masters in animal science and his thesis was about iron deficiencies in a specific animal: the human. apparently a ton of people have iron deficiencies and it is actually extremely damaging to a whole variety of organs. The Red Cross (a blood company) uses a completely ridiculous worthless test for iron deficiency and as a result continuously worsens this iron deficiency crisis but they don't care because 1) a good iron test costs like 10x as much and 2) they sell blood, that's their business, if they turned people away they'd have less blood to sell.

it was a wild defense that he passed and all the professors on his committee were enthusiastically like "we gotta publish this" and obviously no journals wanted anything to do with it.

I understand what you're saying but what I'm hearing is that I should probably be taking iron supplements

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

An aside here Chinese hegemony will be tricky cause while yea the world generally hates America, there is a particular hated and distaste for China in large swathes of Asia. Talking to relatives in Iran who just announced a free deal with them, they are not happy with it and do not like them. There just tends be a lot of white tankies here who probably have never met anyone from Asia or have any connection with them there. Also, on top of their feelings for China, covid didn't help. They absolutely could become the next superpower, but they have a lot of work to do.

lol.

yes it's just white tankies who love china, they're not representative. my relatives, on the other hand, represent the latent loathing of the greater Asian continent towards the ascendancy of the middle kingdom.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Petey posted:

my friend is trying to persuade his office to adopt masking again. he thinks the strategy to do this is to point out the costs to the office of widespread infection and resulting long covid (his office seems to be very "well it's just endemic now nothing to do be done"). does anyone have links to the best papers on prevalence and severity of long covid even among the vaccinated handy?

Dont 1 in 5 breakthrough vaxxed cases get long covid?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The crystals and essential oil people on social media have gotten extra crazy this year. They're not only rejecting vaccines, many are explicitly rejecting germ theory. Search facebook or twitter for "germ theory" and you can see this insanity.

the level of privilege and entitlement is breathtaking

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lacrosse posted:

I understand what you're saying but what I'm hearing is that I should probably be taking iron supplements

yeah lol

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

Ham Wrangler

Der Meister posted:

pretty bad for a breakthrough case. have you had a CXR?

Yeah, groundglass opacities. Also had a CTA chest and it showed same. (There was concern I had a possible pulmonary embolus.)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lacrosse posted:

I heard the best ones are the ones they give rectally to horses

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

brugroffil posted:

Trump was encouraging armed resistance against COVID restrictions and absolutely never gave a single gently caress in his life about anyone but himself.

Yeah bro and that guy outclassed Biden in his federal covid response, that's how bad Biden is doing

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Nodelphi posted:

Yeah, groundglass opacities. Also had a CTA chest and it showed same. (There was concern I had a possible pulmonary embolus.)

all the CTAs on covid patients are terrible quality, if they waffled around it probably wasn’t real

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This society is so loving brain wormsed with individualism that people can't comprehend that covid risk doesn't exist as discrete things independent of everyone else. I'm seeing people saying that you can't be judgemental of people's covid decisions if you aren't about kink or drugs as thought they're the same loving things.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

crepeface posted:

I heard the best ones are the ones they give rectally to horses

Awesome, I'll make sure to check for that at Tractor Supply when I stop by to pick up my Ivermectin

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I have a significant but very real tinfoil hat on anymore that the government is actively not doing what it should to allow a couple of very difficult population imbalances to sort themselves out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

There was a "scientific study" that came out mid last year saying certain essential oils prevented COVID which they'd rather shill than, you know, take the vaccine.

Edit: here's the one!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32575476/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Nodelphi posted:

if we were really worried about fertility then we shouldn't have polluted so many environments with endocrine-disrupting forever chemicals

there are many dimensions to how hosed our future is