Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cool, thanks for this. It's a pro click

Chase comes off as a really intelligent cat. I'm semi excited for this movie but am still tempering my expectations. I wonder if we'll get a definitive answer whether or not that cop really murdered DIckie or of it was all just a setup. I have a feeling it'll be a little of both or, more likely, still left open ended.

Also, Julianna Margulies was quite good on the latest Talking Sopranos podcast.

https://talkingsopranos.simplecast.com/

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

CPFortest posted:

It's more prevalent in the back half than the front half but off the top of my head, the whole Tony/Bobby conflict in Sopranos Home Movies is set off by Tony's fury at Janice being fairly non chalant about when Johnny shot a bullet through Livia's beehive hair compared to him. The final trigger for Phil deciding to antagonize the Jersey crew over the rest of the season is how he makes himself mad by retelling the story of how his family name became Leotardo, an event he takes seriously only occurring because of a tiny documenting error on Ellis Island. Both instances are about how each venerate their warped views on their family history.

The catalyst for Phil retaking control of the family isn't how Doc acts as a leader to others but him taking a bit of his food at dinner, just like how Tony kills Chris after he sees the baby's car seat destroyed after the wreck. They both make these decisions to kill based on how the other has personally offended them, not just whatever mistakes they made.

There's also Tony destroying his friendship with Hesh because he feels he isn't being properly deferential in addressing Tony's gambling debts. Tony spends all of Remember When contemplating killing Paulie just because of how his behavior irritates him. Tony also looses all his love for Christopher through seeing how Chris portrays him in Cleaver and after Chris talks about Dickie Moltisanti being a drug addict, both events shattering his perspective on both of them.

Tony spends all of Kennedy and Heidi frustrated because no one else but him has the same semi-relieved reaction to Chris' death, and this is contrasted by how seriously Phil still feels about his brother's death compared to everyone else, especially after Little Carmine's "Whatever happened there" quip.

The other obvious example is how they both deal with Vito Jr. They both want him to shut up and get over how he's processing his dad's death and they each give him "life lessons" that are for their own benefit in assuaging how they treated Vito rather than helping him process his grief and actually addressing his cries for help.

In the end they're both done in by their inability to cope with their pride and resentments. Phil is killed due to escalating the conflict too far and Tony is cut off from Melfi, left with kids that through their own choices along with his that didn't really escape his orbit, a crew that all has some level of antipathy to him due to his behavior, and is unable to save himself from acting just like Livia.

Thanks for this clear-sighted breakdown, lots to chew on there. It didn't hit me just how much 6b really parallels Tony and Phil and plays them off each other.

That last bit about Tony acting just like Livia is something I really honed in on my rewatch - and it becomes super clear in that back half of the season. Tony can't stand to see other people happy and actively works to make people around him miserable. He even picks up little mannerisms of Livia's, like endlessly reciting different tragedies involving children from the news. Its amazing how much, in his desperate attempt to evade her grasp, he ends up simply embodying her.

BiggerBoat posted:

Chase comes off as a really intelligent cat. I'm semi excited for this movie but am still tempering my expectations. I wonder if we'll get a definitive answer whether or not that cop really murdered DIckie or of it was all just a setup. I have a feeling it'll be a little of both or, more likely, still left open ended.

I really feel like we're going to find out something narrative shattering about Dickie's death in the movie. I think its quite likely that Det Haydu isn't actually his murderer, or if he is, it was at the behest of someone else, likely somebody close to Dickie and Tony. Maybe its too pat, but I think there'll be some revelation that Tony is somehow responsible for the senior Moltisanti's death (or at least, feels responsible in some way) and thats a big part of why he's spent decades idolizing him and trying to make it up to him.

Regardless I'm excited to find out. More Sopranos content is coming!

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 25, 2021

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Tony is in high school in the upcoming film. It's insane that he might be ordering hits on made guys.

I do think there will be some twist betrayal, though. Tony says his first murder was 1982, 15 years after the Newark riots. I think he'll just give up Dickie's location, or something similar.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Whale Vomit posted:

Tony is in high school in the upcoming film. It's insane that he might be ordering hits on made guys.

I do think there will be some twist betrayal, though. Tony says his first murder was 1982, 15 years after the Newark riots. I think he'll just give up Dickie's location, or something similar.

Yeah I don't think he's going to be ordering or even committing the murder - I think he'll just do something (like give up a location) or do something accidental, that causes Dickie's death.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Whale Vomit posted:

He ordered a hit on a varsity athlete Junior kept praising

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

night slime posted:

He ordered a hit on a varsity athlete Junior kept praising

*slowed down epic version of pumped up kicks starts playing*

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

That last bit about Tony acting just like Livia is something I really honed in on my rewatch - and it becomes super clear in that back half of the season. Tony can't stand to see other people happy and actively works to make people around him miserable. He even picks up little mannerisms of Livia's, like endlessly reciting different tragedies involving children from the news. Its amazing how much, in his desperate attempt to evade her grasp, he ends up simply embodying her.

This reminds me of how often Tony or another character says “Poor you” post Livia’s death and how it’s always affecting

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Tony always reminds me of my dad and yeah he was like you'd imagine. I think of when he dumps out AJ's cereal and says, "Now you got nuttin'." a lot.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

So I couldn't resist myself, and I immediately went back to season 1 when I finished the series.

The pilot and the first couple episodes are a bit rough but its actually astonishing how quickly the series finds its feet. Really by episode 3 or 4 the show knows what its doing and is pretty confident with it. There's still some odd moments, but also some really amazing far-reaching things that they laid down early on that they continued with throughout the entire series run. And god, Nancy Marchand is magnificent.

Honestly the only thing that feels real off about it is Melfi, who is far less confident and authoritative than she is in later seasons. And Gandolfini's 'Tony' voice takes a little while to get right, its not nearly as nasally as it is later on.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
In season 4, Ginny's rear end mole goes from 98lb to 95lb when the joke is told to Paulie, then to 90lb by the time it reaches John lol

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

crispix posted:

In season 4, Ginny's rear end mole goes from 98lb to 95lb when the joke is told to Paulie, then to 90lb by the time it reaches John lol

Maybe she was doing the Atkins!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So Tony agrees to take out Carmine which obviously ultimately gets called off. But it seems like an insanely risky move on his part. Johnny claims to have the ear of the other families, but Johnny is also a snaky gently caress and could easily backstab Tony on that. He might even prefer that Tony get whacked so that someone easier to control gets put in place on New Jersey, and also so that he doesn't have to give in to Tony's demands.

I get that Tony gets the HUD claims to himself and gets a 60/40 on construction splits but if the hit is traced back to him there's a good chance the other families clip him in revenge.

I think Tony lucked out big time that Carmine was willing to settle. I don't think that hit would have worked out for him at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

So Tony agrees to take out Carmine which obviously ultimately gets called off. But it seems like an insanely risky move on his part. Johnny claims to have the ear of the other families, but Johnny is also a snaky gently caress and could easily backstab Tony on that. He might even prefer that Tony get whacked so that someone easier to control gets put in place on New Jersey, and also so that he doesn't have to give in to Tony's demands.

I get that Tony gets the HUD claims to himself and gets a 60/40 on construction splits but if the hit is traced back to him there's a good chance the other families clip him in revenge.

I think Tony lucked out big time that Carmine was willing to settle. I don't think that hit would have worked out for him at all.

I wonder if there’s any way that would have ended other than with Johnny blaming it on the Jersey crew and screwing them over

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean in the end Tony is incredibly dumb

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean in the end Tony is incredibly dumb

I dunno. He usually has pretty good instincts in terms of self preservation with his job. You kinda have to in that position or you're gonna get killed or deposed pretty quickly.

When he fucks up as a boss it tends to be when he's emotionally involved in a situation such as with Tony B, etc. When it's a situation that doesn't directly affect his pride he tends to respond pretty shrewdly. This isn't a situation where his emotions would get in the way so it's somewhat surprising he's so willing to trust Johnny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think there was a calculation there where I'm sure Tony did consider the potential blowback from doing the hit, but at the same time, what if he refused? It seems like both options include risk that he could end up being taken out as a result but only one of the options included the huge financial incentive that Johnny was offering.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

I think there was a calculation there where I'm sure Tony did consider the potential blowback from doing the hit, but at the same time, what if he refused? It seems like both options include risk that he could end up being taken out as a result but only one of the options included the huge financial incentive that Johnny was offering.

Yeah. Either outcome aside from actually settling meant Tony was going to have one of the heads of the Five Families ticked at him which is not a place he wanted to be if he could avoid it.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

I do think it was an extraordinary ask by Johnny and it’s surprising Tony does eventually come around to it. It exposes Tony and New Jersey immensely, and if any word of who the perpetrators leaks out there’s no hesitation on the part of any of the rest of families to wipe out Tony and his glorified crew.

I think Tony must count on his friendship with Johnny paying him off in future collaboration but really he shouldn’t have taken it up. Of course, he also considers whacking Johnny earlier that season (I don’t remember- did they actually contract anyone for that before the hit gets rescinded?)

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

(I don’t remember- did they actually contract anyone for that before the hit gets rescinded?)

Lou Dimaggio and The Atwell Avenue boys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mike N Eich posted:

I think Tony must count on his friendship with Johnny paying him off in future collaboration but really he shouldn’t have taken it up. Of course, he also considers whacking Johnny earlier that season (I don’t remember- did they actually contract anyone for that before the hit gets rescinded?)

That was when he sends Sil and Chrissy to go to talk to the crazy elderly hitmen in Rhode Island to clip John on the way to see John's dad.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

It is a shame we never got to see that attempted hit

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

It is a shame we never got to see that attempted hit

I need a spin off miniseries of those loving weirdos.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

An appearance of the Atwells Avenue Boys in their prime in Many Saints of Newark would be amazing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought I remember some real ex mobster being interviewed and saying that a lot of the top hitmen were old rear end dudes who had been doing it for a long time and retained the murderous skills of their youth. So the Atwell Avenue boys might have been pretty good at it despite their condition. And then there's Bobby's Dad of course.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ralph Hurley posted:

An appearance of the Atwells Avenue Boys in their prime in Many Saints of Newark would be amazing.

Now you're talking. I hadn't even thought of that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Out of curiosity I looked it up and sure enough, the Atwell Avenue Boys were probably a part of whatever the in-universe name was for the Patriarca crime family than ran New England, primarily Rhode Island and Boston. A lot of the family were put away thanks to noted 'horrible even for a mobster' Whitey Bulger who the FBI let run his operation as long as he informed on other organized crime stuff.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 27, 2021

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dawgstar posted:

Out of curiosity I looked it up and sure enough, the Atwell Avenue Boys were probably a part of whatever the in-universe name was for the Patriarca crime family than ran New England, primarily Rhode Island and Boston. A lot of the family thanks to noted horrible even for a mobster Whitey Bulger who the FBI let run his operation as long as he informed on other organized crime stuff.

Wasn't Whitey Bulger the guy who inspired Jack Nicholson's character in the Departed?

While typing that I realized I could just google it, and yes, he was.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I earmarked Homicide Life on the Streets to watch while we went through the Wire. Third episode, not only Edie Falco but what's his name Father Phil too. I'm really liking this so far, awful visual quality aside

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Edie Falco played a corrections officer in the first three seasons of Oz and Father Phil played a SORT team officer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
They were also on Nurse Jackie together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He also played the Martian black market dealer on The Expanse and I'm embarrassed it took me so long to figure out where I knew his face from.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

codo27 posted:

I earmarked Homicide Life on the Streets to watch while we went through the Wire. Third episode, not only Edie Falco but what's his name Father Phil too. I'm really liking this so far, awful visual quality aside

The first season is shot on 16mm film if I recall correctly. It's an amazing show, with incredible acting and writing but the quality really slides downwards through the later seasons. Pembleton is probably the greatest TV cop ever.

Ned Beatty slays every scene as Bolander.

e: Yaphet Kotto, Melissa Leo, Jon Polito, Danny Baldwin... They're all just mind-blowing performances. What an ensemble cast that first season.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 28, 2021

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Father Phil will always be Chapelle from 24.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

He also played the Martian black market dealer on The Expanse and I'm embarrassed it took me so long to figure out where I knew his face from.

WHAT

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Annabel Pee posted:

Father Phil will always be Chapelle from 24.

Yeah this is how I always see him. He was great on that show too. Great performance and a memorable arc.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/princess_antifa/status/1431720993324560386?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have a new ending theory: Ralphie's ghost killed Tony

https://twitter.com/sopranoscaps/status/1432552562343907331?s=20

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

And you thought the Germans were classless pieces of poo poo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

There's a beautiful moment in the first season, in episode 1.10 'A Hit is a Hit', where Tony tells Melfi a story about a kid who used to hang around his crew, and he had a cleft palate and a speech impediment and they would keep him around so they could make fun of him. He has a pure moment of empathy where he understands this kid's pain, because Dr. Cusamano was bringing him around so he and his friends could ask him questions about the mafia and ogle him as a curiosity. And then as he wraps up this story, and he understands the pain this kid (now man) felt, he cracks another joke about him.

That's the story of Tony Soprano - it's not that he's incapable of empathy. He's very much capable of feeling the pain of others, of feeling guilt for his actions, of moral conflict with his lifestyle and his idea of being a good man, father and husband. But he can very easily shove it aside, compartmentalize it, and move on in an instant.