Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

nine-gear crow posted:

Well aside from Javicia Leslie, they're all actors from shows that are either over (or at least wrapped on filming for the series at this present moment) or weren't picked up from pilot, or in the case of Brandon Routh, an actor whose role on their currently-still-running show is over.

Oh I get the real-life reasoning, it's just funny in the context of the show's universe.

"Aliens are attacking Earth, who should we call? Superman? Supergirl?"
"How about one guy with actual powers that we met one time, and a bunch of regular powerless humans, including one that will require time travel to get?"
"Genius!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Time to call in... the Has-beens!" *shines "anyone available" light into the sky*

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Wonder if they'll have Ray pass on the Atom name to Ryan.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So which one of them turns out to be Monarch?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Thranguy posted:

So which one of them turns out to be Monarch?

Atom -> Captain Atom -> Monarch?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

oh jay posted:

Atom -> Captain Atom -> Monarch?

You're forgetting the Hank Hall step.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

"Time to call in... the Has-beens!" *shines "anyone available" light into the sky*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3WJaC-7g2c

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Godspeed is too much for Flash so he brings in Thawne, whom after Godspeed is incapacitated is shown to be so incredibly slow he’s basically standing still to Flash...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Given that, imagine how disappointed he must be in his family. "Family, sit this one out. I need someone who is only glacially slow instead of geologically slow"

Then he gives his wife the wedding he thought she always deserved, in their living room. What a guy.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 30, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Checked out of this season after they made a bad Groundhog Day episode but happy they are bringing back a large mashup event. Kind of funny looking back, Crisis was supposed to be the big put your balls on the table showing by Arrowverse that leads to an explosion of new shows and stars. Instead it was more of a swan song with everything getting cancelled or not picked up or had leads drop and what remains being a shambling corpse

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

Checked out of this season after they made a bad Groundhog Day episode but happy they are bringing back a large mashup event. Kind of funny looking back, Crisis was supposed to be the big put your balls on the table showing by Arrowverse that leads to an explosion of new shows and stars. Instead it was more of a swan song with everything getting cancelled or not picked up or had leads drop and what remains being a shambling corpse

The lone bright spot out of all of it was getting Javicia Leslie as Batwoman, but the carnage we had to get through for her to just finally get a clean slate to roll with was was rough as gently caress. At this point basically next year is going to be the real Season 1 of Batwoman. But yeah, 2020 basically ripped the spine out of the Arrowverse and Crisis really proved a good jumping off point for the whole enterprise, just like how Endgame was for the MCU.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Quoting this because I was wrong as poo poo lol

When The Flash Returns, It's Bringing Some Friends

I'm kinda tapped out on Flash, but this crossover is already doing a real hard sell on me...

This looks cool, but I’m not really buying them as an alien fighting squad.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkeKc0pEQ60

I still haven't watched the end of season 7 but this looks like fun. I especially liked Ray asking Barry if he'd been working out, and them continuing the connection Barry and Jeff had in Crisis.

E: no wait, on second viewing the shot of Ray doing the classic Superman costume reveal is my favorite part.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 19, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
So...is this it for Flash.

This feels like, let's get everyone one last ride, get Grant and Candice out of their contracts energy.

Also, I wish the CW would just do 4 to 12 episode seasons for their DC shows. Like, make mini movies. they are great at it but that time has long passed in TV land.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Technically that was last season. That said, I would not at all be surprised if this is the final season, though they've typically announced that well in advance so we'll see.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like this is how Mia Smoak will continue her father’s legacy of being the Arrow now, though it still sucks that she didn’t do it with her own show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Technically that was last season. That said, I would not at all be surprised if this is the final season, though they've typically announced that well in advance so we'll see.

Yeah, this SHOULD be the end, given how everyone involved seems like they're absolutely spent and want out, also the promo one sheet they released the other day of Barry finally sporting the classic Flash golden booties has a strong air of "the costume is finally complete, he is now The Flash for real, we're done, see ya folks!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

loving FINALLY doing the gold boots, I have no idea why both series and the movies hate them so much. This also looks so much better than the newly revealed movie costume, goddamn

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Of course Gustin might really want to one up Amell and stick around for one more season after this one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Eh, I don't really get the appeal of trying to make the costume more comics-accurate. The original season 1 outfit still looks the best to me, with a slick charm and identity that came from actually feeling like its own unique thing.

Though, it's also possible that I'm conflating show quality with costume quality.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, I don't really get the appeal of trying to make the costume more comics-accurate. The original season 1 outfit still looks the best to me, with a slick charm and identity that came from actually feeling like its own unique thing.

Though, it's also possible that I'm conflating show quality with costume quality.

There does seem like there's a strange 1:1 parallel between "Good Costume" and "Good Season", doesn't there? :thunk:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That would mean that the season with the "bike helmet" costume was the worst.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Not even really a "make it comics accurate" thing for me, just weird that after a bunch of live action interpretations of the costume that was one element that seemingly always got changed to some red variation. When they were cycling through different "accurate" and alternative versions of things like the cowl, the belt, the logo, they would eventually try the comics version.

Although going back to the movie trailer it looks like one of the costumes does have the gold boots as well. It's kind of hard to keep track of there since it seems like there might be as many as three different versions of the costume (the shot I was specifically thinking about was where he spray paints a bolt on a boot with a stencil)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So this is back the 16th with a five week event but after that it is off until the end of March.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hooray, Ray's back!

And the Royal Flush gang?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Did Ray get more use out of his shrinking powers in this episode than he did in five seasons of Legends?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Ray didn't explode Despero like he did Rasputin, so I'll say no.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Did Joe die? I don't remember seeing anything about Jesse Martin quitting the show but that whole thing about Chester being sorry for saying dead around Cecilia made me wonder. I mean I guess the baby could've died but that's loving dark.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
No, Joe didn't die, but he did step down as captain of the CCPD, which is why Kramer is running the show now.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
The episode was okay but it would have been better if the words "level up" weren't used 50 times. I knew the first time they said it, it was going to be used a lot more.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Did Joe die? I don't remember seeing anything about Jesse Martin quitting the show but that whole thing about Chester being sorry for saying dead around Cecilia made me wonder. I mean I guess the baby could've died but that's loving dark.
I had the same question because I had no recollection of anyone dying. A quick Google and nobody seems to know what the gently caress that was about.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
And how many times are they going to say Ray was not a legend anymore. It’s the same universe on the same channel. Seems like a fake fight.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pretty fun episode, I'm enjoying the fact that they took some very basic story beats from the Armageddon 2001 comic story and tweaked them to fit the show. The Royal Flush Gang was absolutely perfect, and Barry completely clowning them at insane super speed was one of my favorite moments this show has ever done. Great stuff.

Am I being overly optimistic and thinking that Ray's going to pop up in another show soon? His whole "I guess we'll find out together, next year" line seemed to be very specific for just a throwaway line to explain what he's doing in-universe.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nunsexmonkrock posted:

The episode was okay but it would have been better if the words "level up" weren't used 50 times. I knew the first time they said it, it was going to be used a lot more.

somebody has to use the nerd words now that Cisco is gone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loving hated this episode. The writing was just absolute garbage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

I loving hated this episode. The writing was just absolute garbage.

Maybe you just need to level up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For me it was more the constant card puns from the Royal Flush Gang. I think they were going for ironic but it was so over the top it just annoyed the hell out of me. Also not a huge fan of the whole thing where the reporter talking about being objective is positioned as the one in the wrong.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah I see what they're going for with Iris' editorial mandate, but everything in Allegra's speech was pretty dumb. Sure, everyone has a voice, but if you're talking about the specifics of political corruption I don't really know what the guy who cleans the mayor's office has to offer besides "it's bad."

At least they kind of retroactively tried to justify the Citizens' hilariously high ranking on the national media chart from Supergirl by turning it into a hot new multimedia property.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I agree on both counts. It was extremely eye rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

muscles like this! posted:

Also not a huge fan of the whole thing where the reporter talking about being objective is positioned as the one in the wrong.
Lots of eye-rolling things about this episode, but I think the point of that scene was that what the "objective" journalist was espousing wasn't actually "objective" at all. One can present objective facts (high profile subject says this) while still betraying bias (lower profile subject doesn't get asked).