Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum Shart posted:

I have simply turned to ash. 15 year old me was listening to The Shape of Punk to Come.

I was listening to Recipe For Hate :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was getting my poo poo wrecked in Taste of Chaos and Warped Tour pits

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was listening to Ministry and Jane's Addiction (along with all those other bands that are now peak "80's alternative") on cassette.

I grow old ... I grow old ...
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry I’m stuck processing that a 15 year old subbed to SA in 2015

this made me check and realize that i hit my 20th anniversary on SA this past may. i subbed when i was 17 (and it was free). tell all your friends hadn't even dropped yet lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bust Rodd posted:

I was getting my poo poo wrecked in Taste of Chaos and Warped Tour pits

I was just talking to a friend about how part of me regrets never going to Warped but the rest of me knows that an entire day on blacktop trying to mosh would have probably outright killed me.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Warped Tour was great and fun and if it ever starts up again I will definitely not go because I'm an old man and that would be weird

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

camoseven posted:

Warped Tour was great and fun and if it ever starts up again I will definitely not go because I'm an old man and that would be weird

Nah just go see any band you recognize and there will be a bunch of us 30+ year olds smashing into each other like atoms in a Large Hadron Collider, almost certainly overwhelming the soft and baby-faced Zoomers who have only ever seen moshing in music videos on YouTube

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At 15 I was at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City. I was working on the organ sounds with much patience.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

At 15 I was at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City. I was working on the organ sounds with much patience.

I can only imagine what those early live shows were like. Without that drone we may never have got Spacemen3.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The only cool thing I did was work at Aquarian when I was 17 for an internship. My life has been downhill from there.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

camoseven posted:

On the 2004 tour a trucker on some other internet forum was on the tour as a crew member and he left me his passes at the gate. They got you "crew" access so we got to eat at the buffet for/with the bands, have access to their amenities, etc. We were just loitering near the tour buses and talked with Scatter the Ashes for like a half hour. And near the end of the night the lead singer of My Chemical Romance was playing laser tag with a bunch of dudes from other bands. Good poo poo.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
MC Lars guest passed me to Warped Tour once. Thats it thats my story.

Well i saw Gallows at a different Warped Tour stop when Frank Carter was still singing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i'm in my late 30s and still mosh (it's how i got my custom title, and from this thread lol) and i will continue to do so until i am physically unable to

anyway here's a new Can't Swim song that is very good just like every other song they have made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdfqnV-XmcI

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im 23 and already quit moshing after 2 concussions and a broken toe

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Last pit I went into was Yacøpsæ and my glasses got bent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New Turnstile is all over the place, but I like it

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The last pit I was in was probably Helmet with the classic 90s line up :corsair:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I ended up right on the edge of the pit at Turnstile's show on Wednesday, definitely a decent way to get back into live music after a year+ off.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I saw Turnstile open for someone a couple of years ago. I wasn't feeling it at the time, but the crowd was really hyped for them. I was most assuredly in a tough guy mood at whatever show it was. I gave their new stuff a listen and I really like it. I'll need to check out the discog.

I've also recently gotten into Drain and Zulu.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Toe Rag posted:

One of the major contributing factors to me getting LASIK was this lol 😂 one of my lenses popped out during the pit for Glassjaw NEVER AGAIN!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I went into pit retirement a long time ago and have no plans to return especially now I’m knocking on the door of 40 and have a bad back (doing pro wrestling and jiu jitsu doesn’t exactly help)

Going to my first gig post covid tonight, I’m seeing DISCHARGE at a local boozer around the corner from where I work, quite funny really when the last time I saw them was when I travelled to the states to see The Misfits at the Hollywood bowl and Discharge supported.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Turnstile's last couple albums don't do anything for me but I'm glad they're getting recognition. I saw them with Defeater in 2016ish and it was one of the more fun shows I've been to. I was almost bowled over by security at one point and had no idea why, I found a recording of the show a few days later and found out someone had dived from the balcony and security wasn't a fan. Happens around 0:40 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jO6qU3N3pw

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Good Subhumans show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVcJsuNaExs

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Face to Face did another cover album last year :banjo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUg7fxBN0js

They put the bonus songs on the Japanese print of the first one on here, notably In A Big Country

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 11, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Holy poo poo. New punk that loving slaps. Whole album is great.

https://youtu.be/Z--D1flPLnk

https://youtu.be/zb5Ja6V4OeY

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 13, 2021

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
New Sincere Engineer dropped last week and it SLAPS https://sincereengineer.bandcamp.com/album/bless-my-psyche

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hello thread. I’m going to Punk Rock Bowling but my friend who I am staying with and who is going to it with me just informed me he has to work Friday and Saturday so I’ll be on my own until like 5-6pm. Something about using all his PTO when his son was born a few weeks ago. Seems like a good excuse! So I was wondering if anyone else here is going and if so would you meet up with me? I might go to the pool parties, too. If not, I did Riot Fest 2019 by myself so I would be able to deal, but I’d prefer to have someone to interact with. I am starved for social interaction!!!

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

First show in almost two years is tomorrow. Seeing Thursday at 11pm for a Riotfest aftershow and I'm gonna lose my god drat mind.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

They covered springsteen. It owned.

Setlist was great, some tracks I've never seen them play live before

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/thursday/2021/cobra-lounge-chicago-il-1b8c4948.html

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 19, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It still makes me sad that after waiting years and years to see them, I just didn’t have that great of a time at Thursday. I think it was the mix, presumably they use their own guy as I’ve seen other bands in the same venue without issue. It just seemed when the songs were supposed to kick in they just… didn’t.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That seems unlikely, Thursday aren’t just seasoned pros, almost all of them also produce music and work with audio. You’ve got almost 100 years of making noise experience with them. I would suspect an audio equipment issue before I thought one of them beefed it.

I can understand the frustration though, I waited for like 10 years to finally get to see Modest Mouse, and both times I saw them in Philly, Isaac Brocke spent literally their entire set bitching about the sound guy, he couldn’t hear himself, he literally said at one point “I hope you folks are having fun, it sounds like poo poo up here.”

Sometimes I imagine how my memories of those sets would be different if Brocke had just been a good showman and not constantly drawn attention to it, but when he pulled the same move exactly almost 2 years later at a different, bigger venue, I had to concede that he was probably not that good of a showman if he’s been playing music for 30 years and can’t troubleshoot a teensy bit.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve never been to a Thursday show but everyone I’ve known personally who has been to one had the same complaint about their live mix being “off” and kinda toothless.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I've seen Thursday at least 10 times and only a single time were they short of incredible, but that's because Geoff was sick. They're in the upper tier of live bands for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’ve seen them 25-30 times, including when Geoff passed out, I’ve never experienced what your discussing, but these were all NY/NJ/PA shows, essentially home shows, so maybe they just have a bad away guy?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So to try to describe my experience, it felt like I was listening to the CD being played over the PA for the most part. Then when the heavy sections were supposed to kick in, it felt like there was a limiter in place on the guitar channels so the distortion would come in - but it wouldn't be any more amplified. Usually I regret not having earplugs, but I didn't need them that night. It felt overproduced and polished, which might just be how they like to sound live? They played well and seemed to have fun, but for some reason I didn't. It was day 1 of the 2 day tour thing where they did an album a night, and I ended up selling my ticket for the 2nd night as I just didn't have the enthusiasm to go.

Maybe I would've had a ball the next night. Maybe it was because I was dealing with a bunch of poo poo. Who knows. I've been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs and it'll always stick in my mind as one that disappointed. It didn't help that I didn't care at all for the opening act ("American Pleasure Club" according to Google, I don't even remember them). Videos I've seen of them online live look fun as hell, maybe I need to get my rear end to Jersey next time ha.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
You were at a festival, in a field or parking lot with a much different acoustic profile than in a bar or concert hall.
I’ve seen them 5 or so times. I went to both the full collapse and war all the time shows a couple years ago at chain reaction, and they were both loving great. Sound is never great at festivals in my experience

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

? No I wasn't.

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
Well poo poo I thought you caught the riot fest set not the other show. My b 🤷🏼‍♂️

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This was back in 2019 when they did that small tour for the 2 night gigs, not super recently. Maybe that's what confused.

My friend was in No Devotion with Geoff, I was sad I never got chance to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO

Toe Rag posted:

worth it even if you might have been abroad.