Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Griffin is the DM for Ethersea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Gotta be honest, i use to come here for the hot takes about graduation being not great and then eventually stopped coming cause i stopped listening then i saw ethersea and said 'sure why not' and i really like it. It's goofy when it needs to be and not so up its own rear end. It's fun and Justin is so good at being the dm.

I'm not listening to Ethersea, but I know that Griffin is DM'ing, so I assume this is a really good burn about how Justin is being more of a DM than Griffin is?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm not listening to Ethersea, but I know that Griffin is DM'ing, so I assume this is a really good burn about how Justin is being more of a DM than Griffin is?

Eh, he's really not. I think it was just a mistake. This is very much Griffin's show so far.

Which I believe is a very good thing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured Travis wanted to keep the pirates close by as backup characters to jump into in case one of the PCs died.

If Clint had died, I'd want him to take over Skittles as an Artificer, Artillerist. This would keep Beck in school, the crew would still have a PC who could move around on land or underwater without a suit, and it would be very very very amusing.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Lol oops. Yeah Griffin. Griffin is killing it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
:mods:

e: my mild burn is too late, but drat if I don't also gently caress up their names fairly often

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

inferis posted:

They’re not going to make them just to make them if there aren’t any interesting character creators in games is the gist

I mean, this is the only way you can do Monster Factory. It's a great show, but there's only so much source material.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Acute Grill posted:

I mean, this is the only way you can do Monster Factory. It's a great show, but there's only so much source material.

I'm more than fine with it becoming an infrequent surprise upload, honestly. I expect the next ones will be Elden Ring and the Saints Row reboot, unless there's a wacky detailed mmo I'm not aware of coming out before then.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

How can they not do a MF episode of the baseball game that lets you make a moonfaced guy named Dog Dick

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They need to divert monster factory energy to forward munch squads.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

sticklefifer posted:

https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1416211270345265152

How can they not do a MF episode of the baseball game that lets you make a moonfaced guy named Dog Dick

I mean... how can you top that tweet?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pluTjZICd3w

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today's open to MBMBaM bounced off me hard because its source material was a commercial that I find I still intensely hate.

I'm kinda shocked at how much I still hate hearing that Starburst audio.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This entire episode is extremely chaotic, and yeah I have no idea how they got into that opener. That commercial's been off the air for like fifteen years!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Yeah weak open for sure

My favourite thing about the McElorys is hearing Justin type on his keyboard and wait to access a mostly visual medium displaying a 15 year old ad that I think I remember seeing on ebaumsworld ?

Had a certain chaos energy but not mondo cool brother energy

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was not a fan of Justin going down the pumpkin quiz questions, I actually stopped what I was doing to skip the last few minutes.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

yeah the problem with that bit is it peaked early with “let’s give ‘em pumpkins to talk about”

The entire section about how to fight off an ostrich was a treat. i love whenever Griffin waxes poetic about birds with slender, beautiful necks

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I appreciate they are just doing repeats of munch squads from earlier this year.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I used Griffin's bit about kicking a flamingo as a pickup line and we are about to hit our 3 year anniversary

Dude knows his birds

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Welp see I heaped praise on Sawbones and they went and did an episode on "Havana Syndrome." I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I hope they come to the conclusion it's made up in dumb dumb brains (hope that isn't too offensive)

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

C-Euro posted:

This entire episode is extremely chaotic, and yeah I have no idea how they got into that opener. That commercial's been off the air for like fifteen years!

A buncha Zoomers rediscovered it and it's big on TikTok now

EDIT: I listened to the intro again and I had forgotten when Justin said he was the one who uploaded the sound. I suppose for many Millennials that commercial is permanently etched into our psyche. I for one can't even look at berries without replaying it in my head.

grittyreboot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 1, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Episode was pretty dire. I have no memory of the ad. Have no idea why an isolated sound clip going viral is funny when that’s something that happens all the time. Have decreasing levels of patience for the filler that is Munch Squad, especially now that it’s every week and more and more banal.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 1, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Previa_fun posted:

Welp see I heaped praise on Sawbones and they went and did an episode on "Havana Syndrome." I haven't had a chance to listen to it but I hope they come to the conclusion it's made up in dumb dumb brains (hope that isn't too offensive)

i’m gonna skip it and listen to the next episode’s i tro instead because i still remember justin’s apology over not liking water chestnuts

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

QuoProQuid posted:

Episode was pretty dire. I have no memory of the ad. Have no idea why an isolated sound clip going viral is funny when that’s something that happens all the time. Have decreasing levels of patience for the filler that is Munch Squad, especially now that it’s every week and more and more banal.

Yes. Yes. Let it flow through you. Let this thread become like the old McElroy thread that it replaced. Yesssssss.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

How amazing would it be if their content also transformed to how it used to be.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

For TAZ to become good again, a sacrifice was needed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

justin talking about how it's the most successful thing he's ever done online and it in no way can help his career was very funny actually

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The pumpkin quiz readthrough was boring, but it could have been funny, so it didn't rub me the wrong way like when he just plays a commercial or whatever. Sometimes you throw an airball but it's fine as long as you actually put in the effort to throw the drat thing.

eke out posted:

justin talking about how it's the most successful thing he's ever done online and it in no way can help his career was very funny actually

Yeah, especially the later payoff of it also being the first line of Travis's obituary was hilarious to me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah I should be clear: I liked the episode enough but that commercial still lives in my head, 20 years later. The second the audio started I was a lovely teen again getting mad at dancing dude.

Surreal experience, all things considered.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Maybe I’m the weird one but I have no memory of that commercial, and had to Google it to understand what the hell they were talking about. I did think it was funny once I understood the context though.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

eke out posted:

This, it was funny.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Previa_fun posted:

But what possible reason could there be for the utter ghouls in the US intelligence community to sometimes feel bad other than magic microwave beams?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I listened. It is, as you might have guessed, a brief overview of the history of this phenomenon, the locations and contexts in which it has taken place, the results of clinical studies into the measurable physical effects, and the prevailing theories as to why these effects occurred. Sydnee does not offer an opinion or explanation of her own because, obviously, she has no unique insight into any of it. It’s not like she’s treated any of these people, and she doesn’t know anything about weapons. She explains the prevailing theories which are that it is some type of weapon or that it is mass psychogenic illness, a phenomenon previously covered in the dancing plague episode. Some of the people examined do have brain damage, but such damage can be caused by trauma. That is, if you genuinely believe that you are being attacked by some sort of dangerous weapon, the stress and trauma caused by that belief can actually damage your brain.

Overall I found it to be a bit of a boring episode. It’s techically a medical topic but none of Sydnee’s doctor knowledge could really be applied in order to offer a unique perspective. It was basically just a runthrough of when and where people have claimed to suffer these symptoms. I found it decently interesting because I had never heard of any of this before, but if you already know about it I’d give it a pass. You won’t learn anything new.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But what was Justin"s view. Was he Havana good time?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Entropic posted:

But what possible reason could there be for the utter ghouls in the US intelligence community to sometimes feel bad other than magic microwave beams?

I did laugh when Sydnee mentioned some people had reported long lasting effects like "getting occasional headaches and feeling tired sometimes"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Russia. :rolleyes:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 2, 2021

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I checked out Justin’s Berries and Cream audio on TikTok, and the really remarkable thing is how unfunny the whole trend is. Usually in a big trend there’s some real winners but that is just people doing a boring basic dance or talking about how wearing their hair in a low bun makes it look like a bowl cut from the front.

That’s the real shame in all of this. Having a 15 year old commercial you uploaded be your biggest thing? Whatever. Having none of the community usage of it actually be funny? Brutal.

Also the original “Shower knife” audio is way more popular and it’s way funnier. But he didn’t upload it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

New Ethersea episode is good and I liked it! Show is good.

lol though at Travis getting frustrated that he can't sell the plate immediately and deciding it's worthless while Griffin goes well it might be useful at some point!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's a couple if times where he says stuff like "Huh, it almost sounds made up, doesn't it? Weird."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Justin's just sad that the most influential thing he's ever put online isn't the opening of The Pest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Griffin desperately needs a replacement for the Final Yahoo. His stammering monkeycheese was funny the first time or two, but the 20th time I hear "This question is from... uh.. Dil... Dilfur .. Dilbert... and he asks... did you ever... could you.. can I... what if you fart on your dad", it wears really thin.