Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

TrucMachinChose posted:

I've been curious about ff14 for years, so even if I just have an average laptop, no experience in mmos and I'm clumsy as hell I downloaded the trial yesterday and i've been having fun! I just leveled up my archer to 10. Should I keep going for a bit or immediately try for a new job to see what it's like? also god this game is pretty. also i've pretty much only ever lurked in these forums and never posted, so trying more new things again!

The important thing to know about FF14 is that there's not -really- an endgame. I mean there is the end of the current expansion, but each class has its own storyline, there are dozens of systems and things to do, a billion classes, tons of content in general anyway. So the whole game is it's own endgame. Raidwise, everything can be done synced down to the original level it's meant to be done at and there's additional rewards for it. So it really, genuinely is what you make of it. And you you make progress on everything and it isn't lost,so go nuts.

I was burning out on duty finder the other day so for the past few days Ive been doing Blue Mage and Fishing and playing with Palace of the Dead and Golden Saucer stuff and also lots of triple triad. It's all been very fun and is it's own thing so I'm not "missing" anything by not getting to max level ASAP.

Short Version: Do the thing that is fun at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

but also Ninja is the best so you gotta go with that if you want to play the game right, sorry.

I actually have spent the past month trying absolutely everything originally in the 2.x patches while working my way through them, in a rough semblance of historical completionism, and that was incredibly fun. I might just end up doing that, messing with stuff in a chronological order of introduction, and mostly limiting myself to that. it's been slow but I wouldn't trade it for anything. this is the most "take it at your pace" online game I know of

now onto Heavensward! can't wait to marry Haurchefant :3:

edit: also I can't lavish enough praise on the direction of the banquet cutscene. there was this one line when [spoiler] admitted [spoiler] to [spoiler], where the VA's performance just knocked me on my rear end. that was good

Ramie fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 27, 2021

TrucMachinChose
Oct 9, 2012
Thank you for the advice, I think I'll try Conjurer for a bit then!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TrucMachinChose posted:

Thank you for the advice, I think I'll try Conjurer for a bit then!

Conjuror/White Mage is a fun class, takes a while to come into its own (a bit too long really) but it’s good.

Just take what the plot line tells you to heart :haw:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
In later expansions they have some extra quests for flavor if you have a job representing all the different roles at level cap, but ultimately the game is 100% "swap around as you want". If you're enjoying Archer, keep at it. If something else catches your eye, try it. The MSQ gives you enough experience to level multiple jobs, plus when you factor in exp bonuses and daily/weekly roulettes/challenges/etc it's not a big detour to diversify a bit.

Worst case, if something just isn't clicking put it aside, you can always come back later.

catgirlgenius posted:

I actually have spent the past month trying absolutely everything originally in the 2.x patches while working my way through them, in a rough semblance of historical completionism, and that was incredibly fun. I might just end up doing that, messing with stuff in a chronological order of introduction, and mostly limiting myself to that. it's been slow but I wouldn't trade it for anything. this is the most "take it at your pace" online game I know of

If you're enjoying doing that it's totally viable. You get a bit of a steady escalation in fight design and complexity over time and can really get a feel for how it has evolved over the years. Relic weapons are probably the big exception to this, since they can be quite the haul to finish. The onramp to that content is much, much shallower in Shadowbringers though and can fairly seamlessly be picked up and see those instances and zones without a big grind.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 27, 2021

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I switch GCs I assume I'm no longer allowed to glam items purchased from the old GC's vendors, right, because they aren't equippable any longer?

Also, I need something that says "desert robes over/but armor.". Everything desert robe-y I've seen has been very light, which is cool and usable, but it's frequently expressly limited to NIN and casters and I need help on a tank glam and I'd like something that looks heavy enough to be "right" with a shield out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aades posted:

One dungeon boss had a ton of aoe stuff constantly popping up, so when I died I thought I would save the healer from trying to rez me while they dodge aoe by releasing and running back. I didn't know the boss was walled off after the fight starts so I got to stand there in shame and watch the others kill the boss.

I've done this multiple times as healer (because who else in the 4-man is gonna rez me? Might as well do the runback), and standing in the Shame Zone watching the fight is enough to make me just kind of want to stay dead

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

SuperKlaus posted:

If I switch GCs I assume I'm no longer allowed to glam items purchased from the old GC's vendors, right, because they aren't equippable any longer?

Also, I need something that says "desert robes over/but armor.". Everything desert robe-y I've seen has been very light, which is cool and usable, but it's frequently expressly limited to NIN and casters and I need help on a tank glam and I'd like something that looks heavy enough to be "right" with a shield out.

Yes.

The Rakshasa top might work? You need to be 70 for it, though. Nomad's coat of fending too (65, requires dungeon), or maybe the Filibuster set (60, requires dungeon)?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just take what the plot line tells you to heart :haw:

Always be thinking about the taint?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

SuperKlaus posted:

Yes, this is correct.

If you do want to switch GCs, one nice thing is that your squadron members follow you around. So if you have a full level 60 crew, they'll be available in your next GC when you get back up to the rank where you get access to the barracks. I found that the easiest way to get through the early ranks is to do Leveling Roulette with the in-need class (which will be healer or tank 99.9% of the time). I did that a few times to get back up to the rank where I could start turning in gear for seals, then turned in gear to get to the barracks ranks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just finished "you have selected regicide" :stare:

Also, that's a pretty deep cut of a reference.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One other note about transferring GCs - you don't lose rank, or any accumulated GC points (for that GC, they're separate). If you come back to that GC later, you pick up right where you left off.

Zenithe posted:

Koji is a master at deep cuts, horrible puns and amazingly warped descriptions. It's worth reading pretty much everything; I get at least 2-3 good "Goddamn it Koji" exclamations per patch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Saxophone posted:

Always be thinking about the taint?

Do more than Cast Cure.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Do more than Cast Cure.

Yeah sometimes you need to cast Medica II twice back-to-back to heal up after raidwides.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

Yes.

The Rakshasa top might work? You need to be 70 for it, though. Nomad's coat of fending too (65, requires dungeon), or maybe the Filibuster set (60, requires dungeon)?

Those all look like excellent ideas based on their thumbnails...drat i got some leveling to do so I can try em on

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
I would also check out the Republican tank set from the PVP currency, if only cos it's glamable onto Level 1 stuff. It's Roman-insipired more then it is desert-y, though it is somewhat robelike.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm taking some time out from the MSQ to work on my GC rank.

What's the best / fastest way to grind out company seals?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dang am I reading that right it's from Storm GC, the limsa one? Because I started gridania and just switched to uldah, assuming the sultanate city would have good Arabic cultures gear, so lol I hosed up in that regard

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Vandar posted:

Turn in dungeon gear you've outleveled, or crafting/gathering items (especially HQ ones, as you get double the XP/Seals for that), which can be crafted/gathered or just bought off the marketboard, some of which can be quite cheap. It also has the useful bonus of leveling your crafting jobs pretty quickly as well.

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 28, 2021

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Dang am I reading that right it's from Storm GC, the limsa one? Because I started gridania and just switched to uldah, assuming the sultanate city would have good Arabic cultures gear, so lol I hosed up in that regard

For the pvp gear? GC doesn't matter for that. It's sold at the Wolves Den pvp hub which is in Limsa territory so the shop npcs there are from that GC, I think.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Vandar posted:

Expert Deliveries are easily your best option if you have them: you need to be Sergeant Second Class to unlock them.

At higher levels you'd run L50-L60ish dungeons solo, open all the chests and turn in all the drops. At lower levels, well, best bet is probably still dungeons but it'll be slower. If you have any interest in leveling crafters and gatherers then do their hand-ins too, both for seals and for the massive amount of XP they give. Feel free to just buy HQ versions of whatever needs to be handed in at the marketboard, you don't have to craft or gather it yourself.

If you don't have expert deliveries then Guildhest and Leveling roulette give a pretty hefty "adventurer in need" seal bonus, which does not have a daily limit. Seals and I guess the challenge log are probably the only things guildhest roulette is a good use of time for. The GC hunt log is good once it is unlocked. Finally, if all else fails, do FATEs.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zenithe posted:

This made me laugh for a solid few minutes the first time I saw it. Just absolutely brilliant.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
just got to the first credits in ARR. good grief that was a lot of cut scenes. any recommendations for things i should do at this point? i dont necessarily just want to rush through the MSQ to the expansion

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
In Revenant's Toll look for the Outlandish Man and his quest the Legacy of Allag. It's required before entering HW and a good diversion from the 2.x quests/

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hildibrand’s questlines (starting with his assistant in Ul’dah), the whole unlocking of the Crystal Tower, and running all of the lvl 50 dungeons, off the top of my head.

But yeah, ARR’s post-launch MSQ is at least almost as long as the original 1-50 quests.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Please, if you're new read these three things, I will not discuss Why I think this public announcement is necessary, but I must tell you it is tantamount.

1.) If you are having trouble keeping up in Duties, or completing story quests, Press C. If the bar is bright red that means your gear is broken. All of your gear can break, all of it. If this happens you may assume that a red bar is full because it's shiny. This is not the case.

2.) Do not set up a separate tab with just /say /party and /fc because you might be missing very important messages from the game that could warn you about Very important things, like your gear being broken, or something else that's important like...

3.) Press CTRL+C AS SOON AS YOU ENTER THE GAME, on the first tab is something called "Seals" These have a maximum amount, and you don't want to let those hit max. IF YOU CLICK ON BATTLE AND SEE THESE BOOK THINGS, YOU SHOULD SPEND THOSE. These are called Poetics, and are super duper important. You should spend your poetics.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There is a stretch of the Hildibrand quests that has about 10 Simpsons references in 5 minutes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Boba Pearl posted:

Please, if you're new read these three things, I will not discuss Why I think this public announcement is necessary, but I must tell you it is tantamount.

If you were in a 50+ dungeon with someone with completely broken sub-50 gear, you should probably just tell the story, because I want to know how this even happens

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you're not in a rush when you clear 2.0 you can basically take an hour, visit every settlement/city and grab all the blue quests. A large chunk of them will be dungeons or side trials, and then you can start doing 567DR to cycle through them as you go. You can start working on beast tribe dailies. You can also start the ARR Zodiac weapon relic chain - don't try to do the whole thing now, but the first few steps route you to a few dungeons and 8 man trials and get you a job specific title and a glowy Zenith weapon. You can activate the next step to start passively collecting tokens for the steps beyond but Zenith is the end of the non-grindy bits.

The blue quest explosion is real, but it is by far the worst in ARR since a significant amount of the patch content that cycle was them tossing 3 dungeons and a bunch of miscellaneous other things into each patch to unlock and the quests are largely clustered in, like, four zones.

Boba Pearl posted:

2.) Do not set up a separate tab with just /say /party and /fc because you might be missing very important messages from the game that could warn you about Very important things, like your gear being broken, or something else that's important like...

If you have room on your UI without things getting too cluttered, I actually do recommend setting up a separate chat tab for your preferred communication layers, with the caveat that you should then separate it from the standard chat tab.

Reposting one of my UI shots from earlier. You'll see I have two chat windows stacked up; the top is for FC chat, FC messages and linkshell chat. I have other chat channels and the standard system messages in the bottom.

The nice thing about this is they scroll independently, so if FC chat is a bit slow the messages don't just immediately scroll off my screen if I'm running a dungeon or shout chat is active or something.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Antivehicular posted:

If you were in a 50+ dungeon with someone with completely broken sub-50 gear, you should probably just tell the story, because I want to know how this even happens

I couldn't heal properly in Aurum Vale, and for some reason my tank had rage quit, but that's whatever, because it had actually happened a few times if we didn't wipe on the first pull or two. I started to notice that the game had gotten really hard, I could barely keep tanks up, I was dying a lot, and even the story content was near impossible on very easy. I invited a goon from the newest FC to come tank for us, and they did almost immediately, and we went on our merry way, going into the thick of it to help and kill a bunch of hosed up plant people. I got to level 50, and could not for the life of me get past that part where you heal the tree and kill a bunch of tree people? The tree kept dying, the NPCs kept dying, and it was taking forever to kill the trees or anything. I check my gear, and sure enough everything had red bars so that must have been fine, because they were shiny and not like the dull red most empty bars appear as. I highlight my weapon, and I don't see a durability counter or anything like that, so I assumed weapons couldn't break. So I try 2 more times, before it finally dawns on me 2 things.

1 I am color blind, and even with the color blind filter, I may not be understanding what the bars are trying to tell me.

2 My gear may be broke as poo poo.

So I finally ask in the FC what color a non-broken bar would look like, and sure enough all of my gear was broken. I don't know how long it was broken, but it was long enough that every. single. piece. of equipment that I was wearing had been reduced to 0. I couldn't tell you how long it was broken for, but I started having trouble around that one quest with the bouncing heads that you freeze onto platforms.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

The key to avoiding that is to glamour more :v:

Kinda sounds like a shitpost but it makes sure that you're occasionally stopping by the gear mendors at inns and checking all your stuff is topped off before you throw it in your dresser.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gear durability is kind of weird because your gear can't even be damaged until like level 20 (maybe 30?). If you go to a mender before that, you just get an empty menu.

Make it a habit to visit a mender whenever you see one, just to top up. Better safe than sorry, and it'll also make sure you can put stuff in the glamour chest (damaged items can't be put in, even 1%). The actual gil it costs to repair stuff is a pittance, and it only takes like two clicks.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
There actually is a counter for gear durability if you mouse over an item. It's percentage based though.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There is not for weapons, or at least not for the weapon I was holding at the time.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Boba Pearl posted:

There is not for weapons, or at least not for the weapon I was holding at the time.

It's not super clear but it should be labelled 'Condition' and present on most gear.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Begemot posted:

Gear durability is kind of weird because your gear can't even be damaged until like level 20 (maybe 30?). If you go to a mender before that, you just get an empty menu.

Make it a habit to visit a mender whenever you see one, just to top up. Better safe than sorry, and it'll also make sure you can put stuff in the glamour chest (damaged items can't be put in, even 1%). The actual gil it costs to repair stuff is a pittance, and it only takes like two clicks.

Your gear definitely takes damage before level 30, and I'm pretty sure level 20 as well. I always stop in at every mender I pass, because its just habit for me to make sure I'm in tip top shape.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Doesn’t game warn you, if you queue for a duty with any armour in poor condition?

Pah. 20% chest piece is good enough for a run or two :haw:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

adhuin posted:

Doesn’t game warn you, if you queue for a duty with any armour in poor condition?

Pah. 20% chest piece is good enough for a run or two :haw:

It does. It also tells you when your stuff hits 10% as well.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i think the game only tells you when your gear is too low condition with a scary error sound when your queue pops, leaving you with 45 seconds to get it repaired

the real solution is becoming an omnicrafter and just repairing your own gear mid-fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

a cartoon duck posted:

i think the game only tells you when your gear is too low condition with a scary error sound when your queue pops, leaving you with 45 seconds to get it repaired

the real solution is becoming an omnicrafter and just repairing your own gear mid-fight

The "hey uh check your gear" warning was only added within the last year or two, honestly; it used to be that you'd just not realize it until you either tried to put it in the glam dresser/armoire or you were like "Wait shouldn't I/they have more HP than this?"

Anyway, yeah, I think most folks have fallen in the wrong side of the gear durability equation at some point, live and learn. It's not the only reason to learn to craft but field repairs is if nothing else a tremendously nice bit of QoL.