Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is GRRM even mentioned on the current materials

The steam page has zero mention of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I don't know why IGN posted that like it's news. That's been a well-known fact about the game for years now and it has been reiterated every time there's new previews.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

multijoe posted:

Nah that's Irish

The one that really puzzled me was hearing Super Eyepatch Wolf pronounce the R in RPG as aur, guess there's still some ancient celtic mysteries left on that island

It's Scottish, Scots and Irish sound nothing alike despite being cousins

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The npcs and bosses all have history and backstory. GRRM wrote all of that.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Shoehead posted:

It's Scottish, Scots and Irish sound nothing alike despite being cousins

I dunno which one you’re talking about but Aoife on the euro gamer video is Northern Irish (Norn uirish)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I kinda have to question the depth of that, he admitted he hasn't done any work on Elden Ring in years. He even went so far as to confuse it for a direct Dark Souls sequel.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's probably more accurate to say that Fromsoft pulled their NPCs and bosses from the lore that GRRM gave them

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I kinda have to question the depth of that, he admitted he hasn't done any work on Elden Ring in years. He even went so far as to confuse it for a direct Dark Souls sequel.

I think he just recognised it as a direct follow up for all intents and purposes, which it definitely seems to be

It seems like a good balance overall, it seems like you'll have a rich tapestry of background lore from GRRM and then the weird ambiguous and slightly sinister scenario writing we all know and love from Miyazaki. After all, what is a From game without a disquieting implication posed to the reader at the end of a paragraph?

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I doubt I could even imagine it.

makes my head shudder uncontrollably

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
We need more eyes brothers, so we can see Elden Ring's gameplay.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
voxel_b on reddit posted these details:

New or confirmed infos from the Everyeye video (sorry if something is repeated from other messages):

- The Lands Between are huge, BOTW-like. Beyond Legacy dungeons, there are secondary dungeons, which are similar to Chalice Dungeons (but not procedurally generated).

- Legacy dungeons are very Dark Souls-like. One is the Stormveil Castle, home of "Godrick" (name not confirmed). There is an NPC that suggests to enter not from the main gate but from another path.

- Some roaming enemies are not aggressive.

- There's a (hand drawn-like) MAP for the Lands Between (with the possibility to add annotations), NOT for Legacy Dungeons.

- Golden "lost grace" fragments confirmed to be bonfires, when one of them is "lit" the next one will emit a feeble skyward light to guide the player.

- One and only one marker can be placed on the map and will be visible in the open world.

- There are some bosses in the Lands Between, too. Like the battle with the Dragon that they had a chance to see.

- When on horseback, there are less possibilities for combat but obviously more mobility.

- Equivalent of the Estus Flasks confirmed, equivalent of the Ashen Flasks NOT confirmed.

- More variety for all builds: weapons will have slots and there will be relics for one-shot magic uses.

- Combat will be more fast-paced than Dark Souls, but not as much as Sekiro.

- Equip load confirmed.

- Stamina will not be linked to running, only to attack and defense maneuvers.

- Parries, backstabs and stealth attacks confirmed.

- Familiars confirmed: big armored warrior and "undead" crew.

- "Soporific" arrows that put enemies to sleep and make them susceptible to a stealth kill.

- Melina is the name of the leveling up waifu, she is blind from her left eye.

- Runes are the new equivalent of souls.

- Crafting system confirmed.

- Illusory walls confirmed.

- Binoculars confirmed, obviously.

- Covenants confirmed, no further info.

- Boss fight against an agile mad cultist dressed with a white robe.

- Technically not impressive, but great "draw distance".

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I don't think it's been pointed out yet ITT that invasions are only possible against co-op players:

https://fextralife.com/elden-ring-new-gameplay-breakdown-impressions-mechanics-revealed-multiplayer-pvp-armor-weapons-stats#pvp

quote:

PvP: The Big Surprise
PvP works much the same way as in Souls games, allowing players to invade the game world of others in most locations in Elden Ring. You can also place a dueling stone down, like you could in Dark Souls 3, in those cases you want to challenge other players directly.

Initially it was made clear there would be no mounted combat in PvP, but what was confusing was that you could be invaded on the over world so how would that work if players were already mounted. Well now we know the answer to that question!

Invaders will never invade a mounted player, because players cannot be mounted in cooperative play. That is to say, you can only invade players that are cooperating, not players who are alone. (Of course there’s a duel item for those who wish to summon invaders)

This is a controversial decision to be sure, and one that will likely send more than a few hardcore PvP players over the edge, but one that From Software was quick to clarify has not been finalized. If I had to guess, I’d wager they may want to see how the community responds to the news, to gauge whether they are more for or against this change. I’d urge those who have something to say about it to post in the comments, as it is very likely these will be read by either From Software or Bandai Namco in order to gather information regarding this topic. If you do opt for giving feedback, remember to provide options and alternatives rather than demand things be made as before.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
DS3 invasions were basically limited to co-op players too. Or at least so heavily weighted that you rarely ever invaded single players, though it was possible from time to time. And I thought that was fine.

I just hope they include a dried finger like item that makes it possible to be invaded even if you dont have anyone summoned.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

He wasn't speaking about a sequel in the story sense. I got the vibe that he just meant "the next one of those kinds of games" which is fair enough.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

So, to reiterate what GRRM did and didn't do, he wrote the backstory and mythology that the game is based on. However, Miyazaki took that and decided to advance the world's calendar by 100 years or so and set the game there. So in effect, GRRM wrote the entire history of the game's world and the myths and poo poo everything is based on--all the various cultures and kingdoms and major historical figures and their relationships to each other, complete with all kinds of mythological stories and deeds and poo poo. Miyazaki decided that he didn't want to be strictly bound by someone else's work though and moved the setting forward in time so From could tell their own story in that context. And since it's Miyazaki, he decided that the best setting for his game would be if he sent that elaborate world down the path of ruin and decay. So from what we've seen so far, all the general locations, the celtic vibe, and weird creepy hands/limbs poo poo were GRRM's doing while the game's plot, themes, and the backstories for the NPCs/bosses, were MIyazaki's doing, though they were ultimately derived from GRRM's work.

(And to be clear, this arrangement was the intent from the very beginning, so it's not like they looked at GRRM's work and rejected it or anything. GRRM wasn't comfortable with doing actual video game writing)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i highly doubt GRRM had any involvement in art direction, there's very little chance he had any input into the weird hundreds of hands boss. maybe hand symbolism in the past or something? but just look at miyazaki and co's work on Ludwig for half a second and you'll know the creepy body horror poo poo came from them. GRRM is way too square for any of that imo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You will absolutely and regularly invade solo hosts in DS3. And when you get embered after a boss fight, you will absolutely get invaded. I can't count the number of times I wander into say Undead Settlement or Cathedral or Carthus and just have a blast shutting down a single invader.

Having this scenario available is great pvp practice. When learning how to fight, I don't want to exclusively go up against gank squads, that's really discouraging. And as a matter of variety, I want a mixture of different invasions, from 1v1s at the bonfire, to ambushes against the invader and the world, to furious chases across the world, to full on dried finger worlds.

I hope they modify this.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only news I want is when the preload is tbh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I am going to book an entire six days off of work to play this game, have not been this hyped for anything since BOTW

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If the combat is faster than Dark Souls it makes sense why invading would be limited to players who are co-oping.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh thank god illusionary walls are back, very much looking forward to hear sword_hits_wall_clang.ogg 500 times

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

As if a real SoulsBorne player tests for illusory walls as opposed to recognising the subtle clues within the environment :smuggo:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, a true player knows you find the sign that says,"ILLUSORY WALL AHEAD" and then slam and smash every weapon and your fists against every nearby surface for several minutes, trying to figure out if you're doing something wrong or the sign was trolling :hmmyes:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m excited to Try Jumping

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i highly doubt GRRM had any involvement in art direction, there's very little chance he had any input into the weird hundreds of hands boss. maybe hand symbolism in the past or something? but just look at miyazaki and co's work on Ludwig for half a second and you'll know the creepy body horror poo poo came from them. GRRM is way too square for any of that imo.

GRRM is an insanely hosed up pervert when he wants to be.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

GRRM is an insanely hosed up pervert when he wants to be.

Granted that may be the case, I've just never seen evidence that his visual imagination strays from the confines of rather basic high fantasy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think he had anything to do with the art direction, no. But he presumably came up with many of the themes and poo poo that the art is based on.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
More points from reddit:

Runes = Souls, levelling works the same, runes are dropped on the ground as a blood stain upon dying, just like in the souls games

More variety in classes, including the possibility to be an archer

Map is a LOT bigger

Game is heavily inspired by Dark Souls, has similar animations to Dark Souls 3

Less git gud, more freedom

A couple of new attributes, most are taken from the souls games

Skills = New weapons arts, theres over a 100 of these. Some skills are obtained by beating bosses or by finding treasures

Some weapons come straight out of the souls games

Spirit summons = AI helpers from defeated enemies, consumes FP

Enemy encampments in the world, with a lot of enemies

Lots of new enemies, with ragdoll effects

Larger variety of weapons and armor than all of the other games

Twinblades confirmed

Armor still has the same equipment slots

More detailed armor models

Spells from old games and new spells, FP used to cast spells

Pyromancy is in the game

Jumping, stances and stealth are new in Elden Ring

Jumping (using the new dedicated jump button) will make you jump straight up into the air, also lets you attack mid-air (even with bows and spells)

Stances works alot like posture in Sekiro, if you break your opponents stance you get an opening to use something similar to a visceral attack, this is not a visible bar unlike Sekiro but instead fills up automatically when you use certain attacks

Binoculars are in the game

Sleep arrows are new to enemies, they put enemies to sleep allowing you to bypass them or kill them, this even works on some very large enemies

World has field bosses, defeating these will unlock the next "site of lost grace" (bonfires of Elden Ring)

NPC's can be found across the world

More direct story like Sekiro, not too hard to grasp or to piece together as the previous games

You will probably have to smash the pot boys

Melina is the name of the girl showed in the gameplay trailer

Spirit steed (mounts) allow players to be on their way quickly

Riding the mounts is more actiony in nature than realistic, with good controls.

The mounts can double jump and sometimes use something that will allow them to propel high up into the air to new vertical levels

The new screenshot with the round table (Possible new hub area

) is most likely the new hub area, although there is not confirmation on this yet

Mounted combat is in the game, you can use magic, archery and melee weapons on horseback

You can only use your Spirit steed in singleplayer, it is not available in Coop or PvP

Elden ring has crafting, you need recipes first to craft something, these can be acquired as treasures around the map or from defeating specific enemies. It is possible to harvest certain plants and animals for crafting materials

Deer, sheep and eagles are in the game

You can craft arrow tips similar to Red Dead Redemption 2, sleep arrows are most likely one of these

You can buy most of these things from vendors, but crafting is an alternate way to get them

Elden Ring has a map, this allows you to see where you are in the world. Pieces of this map will be obtained throughout the course of the game

You can set custom markers on this map, these will show up in the world as beams of light shining into the sky

There are different marker icons, for example for weapons or bosses

There is or are subterranean labyrinths in Elden Ring, although it is not yet clear what this is exactly

Elden ring has dungeons and legacy dungeons

Dungeons are small enclosed areas that are full of traps, monsters and a boss. These can be done alone or with other players.

Legacy dungeons are way larger, and sort of a sub-area inside the world. The reason they are called legacy dungeons is because they are about the style of size of what an area in a souls game would be

One of the dungeons shown in the gameplay segment was a castle with 2 approaches either heading inside through the main gate or sneaking inside from a side path

The boss of this dungeon was the "Kneel" boss from the gameplay trailer, the boss fight is set in a graveyard full of flowers and the corpse of a dragon

You can fight this boss with a character that looks similar to Siegward, although it is probably not him

Illusory walls will be making a return

Jumping changes the traversal drastically, fall damage is also lower than in the souls games

The maximum amount of players in Coop is 3, including the host

You can place summon signs in most places in the world, just like in Dark Souls 3

The phantoms don't look as white-glowey anymore, but look more like regular characters with a slight orange-red tint.

You can place dueling stones down like in Dark Souls 3

Players can ONLY invade Coop sessions, this means that you won't get invaded while playing solo. However, Fromsoft and Bandai Namco would like community feedback on this, as this decision is not yet final. Make sure to send your tips or complaints about this to Bandai Namco or Fromsofts socials.

Passwords are in the game, allowing you to play with your friends. There's also group passwords, which allow you to only see the bloodstains or messages left by people using that password.

Elden Ring has gestures, including "Hurray" and "Deep respect"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i think "archery will be viable this time!" has been said about every souls game and i'll believe it when i see it

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Archery is viable in DS1.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i expect the co-op only invasions to be gone within a week

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i think "archery will be viable this time!" has been said about every souls game and i'll believe it when i see it

simon's bowblade, mofo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Bowblade is viable in the sense that Bloodborne enemies are as bad at responding to ranged attacks as Nameless King and lack shields to block ranged attacks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Phobophilia posted:

Miyazaki writing style is to make everyone extremely vague and open to interpretation, while Martin tends to get bogged down by details and then fail to deliver when he realizes he can't line up all his balls in a row. So Miyazaki is using Martin as a selling point, getting a few cool high fantasy ideas out of him, and then riffing off that. Miyazaki has total creative control.

thank god lmao

anyway, "legacy dungeons" ? one of things i heard about elden ring back when it was all myth and rumours was that the "dungeons" were all basically dark souls sized. as in, 1 dungeon in elden ring was the same size and complexity as most of dark souls 1. so i hope thats what legacy dungeons means.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I was going to say that so does all soulsborne enemies but I think that's just all similar games. It's much easier to design mechanics and moves for a melee enemy than making shooting at you interesting and something you can engage with outside of sidestepping arrows/fireballs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

thank god lmao

anyway, "legacy dungeons" ? one of things i heard about elden ring back when it was all myth and rumours was that the "dungeons" were all basically dark souls sized. as in, 1 dungeon in elden ring was the same size and complexity as most of dark souls 1. so i hope thats what legacy dungeons means.

That seems rather improbable, not gonna lie. The preview I read about this new press event said that the legacy dungeon From showed appeared to be the size of a single dark souls area, and not the entire game. That sounds about right from what they've been saying about the game structure up until now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
nothing is improbable. free your mind doc.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think the game is multiple dark souls

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're not building a gigantic open world and six separate Dark Souls sized megalevels in it as well, that's stupid

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

JBP posted:

I don't think the game is multiple dark souls

It's not. It's multiple dark souls plus a BOTW open world, duh.

Oh, and chalice dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Imagine 6 dark souls on the edge of a botw. Elden ring works the same way