Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but what if the Mississippi reroutes to the Atchafalaya basin and bypasses New Orleans?

Then that becomes the mouth of the river, I guess. Short term Baton Rouge gets busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

so when is this so called “hurricane “ expected to land in new orleans

Late Sunday/early Monday.

VVV loving lmao when I checked around noon they were still thinking Sunday evening for landfall. If you haven't left New Orleans yet, you're already dead.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Aug 28, 2021

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Sunday.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/221823.shtml?mltoa34#contents

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope theres some bitching streams

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1431393866909945856

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Oh man, what happens when the electricity shuts off and they can't run the ventilators? Or if the bottom floors of the hospital start flooding? I guess they could run generators but what if the storm knocks out those?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

The drought is finally over

Are you in Oly? Just a couple weeks and all this dry weather will be a memory.'

Have a slice of Vic's for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HZ5Bd6DUY

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
This is going to gently caress up baton rouge too. If you live anywhere near this get the gently caress out

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chuka Umana posted:

Oh man, what happens when the electricity shuts off and they can't run the ventilators? Or if the bottom floors of the hospital start flooding? I guess they could run generators but what if the storm knocks out those?

everyone in the hospital dies op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but they have the generators on the roof now

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

is Jeff going to be okay?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chuka Umana posted:

You get more Memorial Medical Centers.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Brogeoisie posted:

This is going to gently caress up baton rouge too. If you live anywhere near this get the gently caress out

Got a spare bed?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

BAE OF PIGS posted:

The drought is finally over

the other day it got just wet enough to rehydrate all the dried up piss. I went for a walk and it smelled awful out

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've got a feeling this may not be that bad :unsmith:

a cat 4 hit LA last year and I don't think it made that much of a dent

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it hit lake charles theres nothing really there

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It wasn't tracking to hit New Orleans. It was basically hurricane edging in nola

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The storm surge is projected to be 10-15 feet into the mouth of the Mississippi. Plus the winds. Plus the rain. Hurricanes are always bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hearing some optimism that it may die extremely fast when it hits land, sparing NOLA from Cat 4 winds at least.

Still likely to be a shitload of rain though. I heard a weather official say it will be a "life-altering event" for people who aren't prepared, which is getting closer to that nightmare Katrina language.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
I've been watching it for work and it's eerily similar to Laura, which is peak intensity right at landfall. If you recall, laura hosed up lake charles.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PostNouveau posted:

Still likely to be a shitload of rain though. I heard a weather official say it will be a "life-altering event" for people who aren't prepared, which is getting closer to that nightmare Katrina language.

That fuckin' 10pm track says "wake up in the morning at 7am, check the track one last time, pack the cats and if it didn't move west hit the road by 8am."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think this is going to erase Houma. It's already surrounded by swamp with only one highway out of town.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Laura is the one that shredded the NWS radar in Lake Charles.

https://www.weather.gov/news/012221-lake-charles-radar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

shirts and skins posted:

Are you in Oly? Just a couple weeks and all this dry weather will be a memory.'

Have a slice of Vic's for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5HZ5Bd6DUY

Have had vics a ton this summer. But I'll stop in to have some more, just for you.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

has anyone declared it a nothing burger yet or am i the first?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Does Biden have Turmp's magic sharpie? :ohdear:

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

CODChimera posted:

has anyone declared it a nothing burger yet or am i the first?

You're most likely going to be right and I'm pretty sure New Orleans will be spared the worst. You people can quote me on this on Monday if I'm wrong.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Chuka Umana posted:

You're most likely going to be right and I'm pretty sure New Orleans will be spared the worst. You people can quote me on this on Monday if I'm wrong.

I think that's still the most likely thing but I'd GTFO if I was there and could

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you evacuate and its an overreaction, yeah the stress and effort of it sucks, but whatever, you get to go back home.

If you don't evacuate when you should have, you either loving die or wish you had.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I have a sickening feeling in my gut that this is gonna be bad

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

1stGear posted:

If you evacuate and its an overreaction, yeah the stress and effort of it sucks, but whatever, you get to go back home.

If you don't evacuate when you should have, you either loving die or wish you had.

i've never had to experience a hurricane but i imagine it's pretty terrifying, i'd be on edge the whole time even if it did end up being no issue

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CODChimera posted:

i've never had to experience a hurricane but i imagine it's pretty terrifying, i'd be on edge the whole time even if it did end up being no issue

I've experienced a strong Cat 1/weak Cat 2 before (Hurricane Erin back in 1995 at Panama City Beach) and it sucked. The family friends we were staying with didn't have the foresight to drain their pool before it hit and the power went out. Bailing a pool before it floods a house with rain coming sideways at you at 70-90mph+ feels like being hit with a shitload of low-intensity BBs. Any hits on bare skin hurt.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I've been through 1, 2 and 3. Note that I've been through them in houses that are much better built than is typical in USA.

Cat 1 and 2 are basically nothing burgers. Some wind and lots of rain but unless you're in an area where it's really rare (Northeast or something) you can generally get through it fine, though you'll lose power for a bit because the entire US electrical grid is hanging loosely on pressure treated wooden dowels stuck into the ground.

Cat 3 is when it gets scary. That's when you start seeing even durable buildings get their roof ripped off or large debris smashing up your vehicle. Flooding is common and dangerous.

Cat 4 is when you start calling relatives elsewhere and telling them you'll be fine but you love them and you'll get in touch as soon as you can. It's also when you start seeing supply shortages so extreme that supermarket owners sit on their roofs with guns to prevent looting.

Cat 5 is unimaginable.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

1stGear posted:

This. Everything about this situation indicates that this is not a storm to take your chances with. Possessions are replaceable, but people aren't.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

we’ve got some prime jeff p time coming up

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Chuka Umana posted:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/playing-god

get ready for nightmares!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chuka Umana posted:

all the people on ventilators die

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chuka Umana posted:

will do

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Chuka Umana posted:

Guess we'll more or less find out today, this is when it hits that warm patch in the Gulf. Just Cat 1 so far still, thank goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
are there any pig poo poo lagoons in Louisiana? Looking forward to the noxious poison being spread by floodwaters if so