Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Fil5000 posted:

The hilarious ways are the ones you keep in your head and don't actually do, lest you run into any of these people again. You just hand your boss a letter confirming you will leave on X date per the terms of your contract/whenever you like if you're in an at-will state/country.

Turned out it couldn't be hilarious. My boss had the day off (which I had forgotten about until I checked his status), so I had to hand it to the XO who was quite shocked (as was I think everyone else when it was announced).

When everyone asked "Have you got a new job lined up?" and I said "No, I'm just leaving", everyone got a knowing look on their face and said "Ohhhh. Oh. I see" and didn't ask any questions about why. I guess when someone leaves and has no new job lined up, the reason is pretty obvious.

I feel vastly more relaxed. I set my 330+ unread emails to "read" and then moved them to "Emailed has been Auctioned" folder. I stopped worrying about getting pulled up for there being too much cardboard left lying around by other people. Of leaving an item I was working on on my desk overnight.

I just jumped of a cliff but tonight I am flying through the air and nothing is hurting me anymore. In about a week I'm going to hit the ground, but that is a problem for future me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

champagne posting posted:

It will never fail to impress me just how little work actually goes into a workday

And just how much is office filler

I've been WFH full-time since March of 2020 and I really do get more work done from home. I also have more down time.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Comstar posted:

When asked "Have you got a new job lined up?" and I said "No, I'm just leaving",

You’re officially the goon in the well.

The advice given would ensure continuity of paychecks coming in and a gapless resume for the future. You ignored it resulting in quitting before finding a new job. Still, I hope it all works out. Best of luck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i guess on the bright side: right now is probably one of the best times in history to quit a job without another lined up

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CarForumPoster posted:

You’re officially the goon in the well.

The advice given would ensure continuity of paychecks coming in and a gapless resume for the future. You ignored it resulting in quitting before finding a new job. Still, I hope it all works out. Best of luck.

Good for him that he feels better right now I guess, but management got exactly the result they wanted, on an even quicker timetable than they hoped.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

Good for him that he feels better right now I guess, but management got exactly the result they wanted, on an even quicker timetable than they hoped.

Yep!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i guess on the bright side: right now is probably one of the best times in history to quit a job without another lined up

Yea def true as well.

Semirelatedly, I kinda wonder how historians will look on gig work and the effect it’s having on low income wages and the total jobs open rn. On the one hand, the pay is poo poo. It’s brutal capitalism where a small group of people get outsized benefits from the labor of thousands of low income workers who have no protections. Clearly there are ethics issues with the structure of gig work jobs in the US.

On the other hand, if you lose your job or move to a new area you can ostensibly have some income coming in until you get another job, and it effectively makes a price floor on services labor…albeit a very low floor. If I make $10-$15/hr driving for doordash whenever I want, why would I work retail?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Lol my transfer date (which originally was "mid-August") once again got moved from "mid-September" now to "end of September." To make matters even more hilarious, the presentation with an "unclear, sliding date" that my boss was using to anchor me is next Thursday, NOT in mid or even late September. I really hope one of these interviews I've been having pans out and I get to throw a middle finger at him as I leave much earlier than expected.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CarForumPoster posted:

Yep!

Yea def true as well.

Semirelatedly, I kinda wonder how historians will look on gig work and the effect it’s having on low income wages and the total jobs open rn. On the one hand, the pay is poo poo. It’s brutal capitalism where a small group of people get outsized benefits from the labor of thousands of low income workers who have no protections. Clearly there are ethics issues with the structure of gig work jobs in the US.

On the other hand, if you lose your job or move to a new area you can ostensibly have some income coming in until you get another job, and it effectively makes a price floor on services labor…albeit a very low floor. If I make $10-$15/hr driving for doordash whenever I want, why would I work retail?

I'm hoping they don't just see it as regression to the mean for civilization after 500 years of weird and failed ideas...

They = the priests and aristos who study these things to kill time between feasts and slave rapes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This person also sounds young, inexperienced, and emotional. They are probably lashing out to a degree because they feel vulnerable and made to look stupid. It's probably the best course of action to at least try to help them understand that a) we all make mistakes and when our teammates come in to help and correct the mistake that isn't undermining - it's a good thing and b) that it's important when you do make a mistake to look introspectively about what you, as an individual, could have done to prevent that mistake and c) that he has a team to support him but if he wants help and support from the team he needs to ask for that help, and asking for help isn't a bad thing.

People don't come from the womb/high school/undergrad knowing poo poo like this inherently, a lot of it must be taught and learned. Some people learn these lessons earlier, faster, and better. Some people never learn, but I'd be more inclined to try with a 20something that you're going to have to work with in the future versus someone midcareer who probably won't learn at all.

Completely unrelated but the truck equity gangtag still gets me most of the time. It's so good and I'm sad I missed that bandwagon

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My boss grabs me for a Teams meeting (which is something that could be a text convo or email 100% of the time) today to say "Hey [Yawg], moving to the new office is kind of a madhouse and monday is gonna be crazy with everyone here. Would you be willing to work from home on monday too?"

Hmmmmmmm, lemme check. Do I like sleeping in an extra 20 minutes and working without interruption in my pajamas while listening to music instead of morons on the phone? Yes, yes I do.

Good talk, team.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I am just another statistic on the global war on workers. There will now only be 1 person in my team who has been in for more than 2 years. In my 5+ years we've had 150% turnover - half quit and half moved to other positions in the company. The last 2 both told me to get out as soon as I could. I'd previously applied for other positions and been knocked back, and management literally laughed at me for suggesting I apply for any kind of leadership role at one point.

COVID destroyed my plans to have any holidays last year, and now we're in PERMANENT LOCKDOWN it seems, I think I'll take some time and try and finish the Skyrim main quest.

Something this is notable this year compared to past years is a lot of jobs are actually advertising their pay rates. They ALL should be, but there's a noticeable uptick. Most are well below what I think they should be paying for the same job role I was doing but it's a nice thing to see. I'm guessing it will last as long as the borders are closed and Employer's can't get people in from overseas at a cheaper rate, which had had happened at all my previous companies.

I woke up today, and today felt good. Thank you all for the advice, even if I'm still in the well.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Return to office got kicked back another 4 months. This place has problems but glad they didn’t try to do month to month extensions.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Comstar posted:

I am just another statistic on the global war on workers. There will now only be 1 person in my team who has been in for more than 2 years. In my 5+ years we've had 150% turnover - half quit and half moved to other positions in the company. The last 2 both told me to get out as soon as I could. I'd previously applied for other positions and been knocked back, and management literally laughed at me for suggesting I apply for any kind of leadership role at one point.

COVID destroyed my plans to have any holidays last year, and now we're in PERMANENT LOCKDOWN it seems, I think I'll take some time and try and finish the Skyrim main quest.

Something this is notable this year compared to past years is a lot of jobs are actually advertising their pay rates. They ALL should be, but there's a noticeable uptick. Most are well below what I think they should be paying for the same job role I was doing but it's a nice thing to see. I'm guessing it will last as long as the borders are closed and Employer's can't get people in from overseas at a cheaper rate, which had had happened at all my previous companies.

I woke up today, and today felt good. Thank you all for the advice, even if I'm still in the well.

I don't think you're in the well. You've knocked a hole in one side of the well and you're digging sideways, and you're digging fast enough that when the pissing starts you'll be safe from it.

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007
Everybody wants to rule the world
I've been WFH since April 2020, went to the office only once - after a reorganisation, to meet our new team.

WFH has completely dissolved the seperation between work and private live for me. Especially during the months the schools and daycare were closed, I usually spent some hours everyday with the kids, and booted up the work laptop when the kids were asleep.
Thankfully, higher management encouraged flexible working hours.

I took this flexibility to the next level, by putting the Teams app on my phone, and taking my toddler son to the nearby petting zoo or feeding the ducks during meetings. Headset on and finger on the mute/unmute button. Had many meetings with many different coworkers, and nobody batted an eye on this.
The running gag in my team near the end of the lockdown was that the ducks were completely stuffed due to our daily trips :-)

Edit: WFH, not WFM...

Clear_Blue fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 29, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

WFM is work from...?

Motorboat?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Work from mail. Everything is done via snail mail. It takes a very long time to get anything done this way.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gin_Rummy posted:

Work from mail. Everything is done via snail mail. It takes a very long time to get anything done this way.

In previous organizations I’ve been employed in you wouldn’t be able to tell there’s an added delay from communique to decision

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

WFM is work from...?

Motorboat?

Whoops, mixed up WFH with another work acronym I use daily...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clear_Blue posted:

Whoops, mixed up WFH with another work acronym I use daily...

lol I ain't heard WFM in a long time, but it was basically "the person managing scheduling at the call center"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

lol I ain't heard WFM in a long time, but it was basically "the person managing scheduling at the call center"

Confusingly, it's the name of the function that does that, the sort of software used for it AND what one vendor calls their specific software for it. So your WFM team might use WFM as their WFM platform.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I started in January, we’re “essential services” so I’m not supposed to work from home but we don’t hot desk and I still don’t have an assigned desk so… I WFH.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fil5000 posted:

Confusingly, it's the name of the function that does that, the sort of software used for it AND what one vendor calls their specific software for it. So your WFM team might use WFM as their WFM platform.

Yeah WFM was who you called if you were out sick, RTM was who you told if you were going home early

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah WFM was who you called if you were out sick, RTM was who you told if you were going home early

Ah Realtime. The least thankful job in call centre management.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Completely unrelated but the truck equity gangtag still gets me most of the time. It's so good and I'm sad I missed that bandwagon

It's like just me and Motronic left, I think.

WFM is whole foods market imo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's like just me and Motronic left, I think.

Mine disappeared at some point. No idea why.

Clear_Blue
May 29, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yep, Work Force Management.
I 'm usually the one to say to Marketing/Process Management: "Hey, this new product/service you're introducing will probably generate a lot of calls from customers (because said new product/service usually has some issues). Don't forget to inform WFM."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CarForumPoster posted:

If I make $10-$15/hr driving for doordash whenever I want, why would I work retail?

$10-15, minus the gas, maintenance, depreciation, wear, and no recourse to the courts or state agencies. If you're actually making above minimum wage with all that factored in, well done, otherwise you just leased/purchased an anchor to your job for the next X years whether you want it or not, unless you happen to get a decent job at higher pay.

The plan has always been to sink any local taxi service then become the gap to fill it at whatever price they want, and once the VC cash runs out to subsidize them you're going to see the actual costs appear.

knox_harrington posted:

WFM is work from...?

Motorboat?

Working from Masturbatorium. Definitely tape up that webcam. Or, since you gave two weeks, don't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

Mine disappeared at some point. No idea why.

poo poo, didn't even notice since I browse with avs off

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Volmarias posted:

$10-15, minus the gas, maintenance, depreciation, wear, and no recourse to the courts or state agencies. If you're actually making above minimum wage with all that factored in, well done, otherwise you just leased/purchased an anchor to your job for the next X years whether you want it or not, unless you happen to get a decent job at higher pay.

CFP is probably smart enough that he's netting some of those costs out and you can for sure get 10-15 doing that stuff - however i can walk in to an Amazon DC and provide I piss clean can do better than that with a zero questions asked signing bonus.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo, didn't even notice since I browse with avs off

but how will you admire your highly erotic egg

egg

Volmarias posted:

The plan has always been to sink any local taxi service then become the gap to fill it at whatever price they want, and once the VC cash runs out to subsidize them you're going to see the actual costs appear.

:ussr:

IMO gig work should be interpreted as being integral to the core function of these apps and thus should be subject the the FLSA, perhaps with some noted tolerance or policy from the dept of labor about what counts as hours worked, but...a bunch of US courts have disagreed with me on that subject so I don't see it happening. Also, all of these gig companies are huge or public now so no more VC money to be had, though they're often not profitable. For food, DoorDash is DASH, UberEats is UBER (acquired Postmates), GrubHub is GRUB and InstaCart is supposed to IPO this year sometime. On the taxi in app form, LYFT is public too. Amazon has a pretty big foot in this space too.

All besides the point though. We're currently seeing big-low-income businesses bitching about not being able to find sub $15/hr employees even without regulation changes imposing that minimum wage. My point is, what is driving low income wage growth? My hypothesis is that gig work is a new BATNA for low income workers. Whatever the income rate one gets from it, it is sufficient to set a new alternative.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Whatever the income rate one gets from it, it is sufficient to set a new alternative.

Makes sense - probably the same type of momboss mentality that Lularoe-esque type MLMs capitalized on. By that, I mean, sure I could be paying to purchase product (MLM) or paying over time for car repair/gas (Uber/Lyft/etc), but I’m “my own boss”. Also, no real boss is yelling at you or threatening firing because you’re late, (to my knowledge) they’re at least weed friendly, you’re not sweating in a kitchen, etc, etc.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So would I be off my rocker to leave a job where I’m bored?

Im getting another week of nothing to do, I have a few meetings but they are basically check ups with client leads. As much as I like collecting the fat pay check I’m feeling totally un-utilized here. I know my bosses are pleased with the work I do since they hand me hard projects and are delighted and amazed when I can make it work, so I’m pretty sure its not a case of keep the gently caress up away from things. My direct manager keeps reassuring me that she has more work coming but every week it doesn’t materialize.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Im getting another week of nothing to do, I have a few meetings but they are basically check ups with client leads. As much as I like collecting the fat pay check I’m feeling totally un-utilized here. I know my bosses are pleased with the work I do since they hand me hard projects and are delighted and amazed when I can make it work, so I’m pretty sure its not a case of keep the gently caress up away from things. My direct manager keeps reassuring me that she has more work coming but every week it doesn’t materialize.

So you're not just bored, but you get great reviews.

Go find something else to occupy your time that leave you available for the little work you do have. Unless you're underpaid or this is stifling a career trajectory I don't see the issue.

Some people are valuable to keep around not because of what they do, but because of what they know and can do in clutch situations. Congrats, that sounds like you for this company.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Semi sarcastic: If you're a computer toucher working remotely, get a remote 2nd job and don't tell the first job.

[I still think this is kinda unethical but I dont have a good reason if you're getting the assigned work done at both places]

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CarForumPoster posted:

Semi sarcastic: If you're a computer toucher working remotely, get a remote 2nd job and don't tell the first job.

[I still think this is kinda unethical but I dont have a good reason if you're getting the assigned work done at both places]

Help my second remote job I got because first job doesn't give me enough to do aren't giving me enough work to occupy myself with!

For real tho: It sucks and makes days feel extra ordinarily long. My very first job was just this. I had a nice title and a fine salary but did nothing all day. Towards the end of my employment there I came in at 0930, had coffee, spoke with colleagues, lunch, company gym, second look at inbox, then leave at 1400. It was awful

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Sounds like a sweet gig to me but only you know what's right for you.

Let's take me for a quick example here. This morning, I have handled 4 emails that were there when I punched in. Two of them needed to be forwarded to the secondary branch management, the other two did not. All four needed to be saved so that I could impose my own coding system on them and e-file them since nobody the gently caress else does. I'm waiting on a dozen or so invoices to come through so I can process those.

Now I'm shitposting on the forums for a few before I begin working on my side project. My point is this: I am in the same boat. I feel like I am vastly underutilized for the knowledge and skill I have in this industry and with regard to my particular employer. However, rather than jumping ship, I'm making the best of what I have, by working on professional development. Do you think that's something you can do? Learn a new programming language, continue your education, stuff like that?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

D34THROW posted:

by working on professional development. Do you think that's something you can do? Learn a new programming language, continue your education, stuff like that?

I did this at big defense co and it led to a masters degree and getting my startup into y combinator, both accomplishments I am more proud of than the actual work I did at those places for ~5 years.

Self taught Python, Master's was paid for by the company.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I was gonna suggest learning welding or guitar with that extra time.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I had one of these long long ago. Great paycheck for the time but I was literally bringing a novel in and sitting in my cube reading. No work to do and couldn't even do anything on the internet because it was super locked down and if you used it too much the company Internet Police would come and talk to you. I was thinking about buying a laptop and trying to hotspot to do side work but this was so long ago it wouldn't work all that well since the cell networks were still bad.

I left for a startup for like a 40% paycut and it was a great decision. This was very early career though, not sure I would have done the same 10 years later or if I had a kid etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

CarForumPoster posted:

Self taught Python, Master's was paid for by the company.

What did you do to self-learn Python? I've tried a few (Codeacademy, Udemy) but I just can't seem to stick with it. As a product manager who didn't come from engineering/QA, it would be nice to speak the language a bit more