Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Les Moore, God of Cancer.

Has anyone checked if he's radioactive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Presto posted:

Les Moore, God of Cancer.

Has anyone checked if he's radioactive?

I can only assume that the amount of smugness that the characters in this strip has to contend with must be deadly.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's quite a vicious criticism of artists failing to depict reality in all its harsh ugliness in favour of palatable, pleasant motives, and I feel like hiding it in spoilers because what it shows is so unpalatable and unpleasant really just adds a whole other layer to that.

Surprise historic depictions of white supremacist violence, even when the artist is very obviously on the right side of human decency, turn out to be one of my triggers. And yeah, that slots into the theme of the strip a little too well for comfort. :shrug:

And speaking of "Ow, my head," welcome back to The MiniSec Ecocide Museum!

2007, featuring an old favorite buried in the middle of Kranti being Kranti. (November 26-30)

2010, featuring CARTOON TERRORISM (take two)! (December 27-31)

Can we call in the script doctor again?

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 27, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CommonShore posted:

:wtc: didn't we just get two weeks of how the kids don't apprecitae the grand canyon

Look like the colorist is off vacation, too

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This is just going to escalate things, Wilbur.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

:lol: Wilbur's going to lose a battle of wits against a cat and I'm 100% ready for it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wilbur is just ott now

I was going to say comically, but it's not actually funny

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

Why would she try to tempt Les away from his wife (whose name I cannot remember) like that?

Her: I have cancer

Les: *gets on all fours, meows like a cat and leaves the room backwards*

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The cat is going to trick the idiot man into losing his relationship with her owner. The cat is smarter than the man in all things.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 27, 2021

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008
I cannot read a single Encyclopedia Brown strip without thinking of this old Onion article: https://www.theonion.com/idaville-detective-encyclopedia-brown-found-dead-in-lib-1819567098

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Handy invention (1935/22)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Doomykins posted:

The cat is going to trick the idiot man into losing his relationship with her owner. The cat is smarter then the man in all things.

Maybe Libby is possessed by Aldo Kelrast

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

"Such lovely hands need protecting... so they can pet me.

But not too much!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The Great Train Commandeering, or Wasn't that bridge in Stand by Me?, or Cliffhanger!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My birthday was this week. I really don't need this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

lmao

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Selachian posted:

Prickly City, or How Not to Do a Crossover

(For those who aren't familiar with Prickly City, it's a sort of political strip that veers between declaring that Both Parties Are Equally Bad and trying to be Calvin and Hobbes. It's also got some of the laziest copy-and-paste art on the comics page. I mean, the artist was even too lazy to put Heathcliff's gum bubble in.)

i think you accidentally posted one of those bad Out Our Way's

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Jan. 5th, 1941

Axa

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Vater und Sohn: Handy invention (1935/22)

This continues to be my favorite of the older comics. It's super simple but also super wholesome. It feels kind of modern in this respect actually.

...God I hope it doesn't get super racist later.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 14, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 22-23, 1989)

I'll also be adding Blind Alley by Adam De Souza to my roster for a while. It has nice art, good vibes, fits in nicely with the rest of the comics I've been posting, and generally needs more love.

You can find the rest on his website here: https://kumerish.com/blind-alley
...or his Twitter here: https://twitter.com/Kumerish

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Dec 14, 1952)

You can understand why Peanuts became a sensation. Charlie Brown is terrifically emotive from panel to panel; the way he goes from irritated to furious to inconsolable and back to furious is hilariously pathetic and uncomfortably relatable.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's extremely shortened Blueberry, because I didn't think to check ahead as to how many pages were left for this chapter: Blueberry's carrot-and-stick method could use a little refining, or As one chapter ends, so starts a new one in... The Man with the Steel Hand!!!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: computers! (April 14-20, 2003)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mmm yes, the lack of branding is definitely something i associate with apple carrot computers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 22-23, 1989)

pay attention to your loving kid jesus. maybe help him with his math homework

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Piracy is cool and good actually. Does this mean we're going to seel Metallica in the awful animal zone.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hostile V posted:

Piracy is cool and good actually. Does this mean we're going to seel Metallica in the awful animal zone.

Enter Sandworm

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Guest Author Stephan Pastis (or possibly Bill Holman) 8/27/01

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 2/17-19/47

Smokey Stover 1/31/43

So I'm not going to start posting it, but I'd like to note that Modern Dick Tracy has started a particularly insane storyline this week, involving time travel.

Dick Tracy 8/23-24/21

There's a short story by Isaac Asimov called "The Dead Past" about a scientist who invents a camera that can be used to view events in the past. Everyone's excited about the possibilities for historical research ... until one person points out that the camera can also be used to snoop on what anyone was doing five minutes ago, destroying any expectation of privacy.

So naturally, Dick is thrilled with the swell police state he could set up with the time drone.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 28, 2021

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/17-19/47

Even in a story centered around "Haelo Angel" the name Elloise Awfulrich really stands out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

In the comic we saw how Eerikki (who later was Paul's foster parent in Turku) found the ring that had been swallowed by a fish. In the book there was also a chapter how ten years before the current events he had a dream about losing it and apparently Lauri Larsson managed to steal it, but the book doesn't give details.

In the book doctor Weiss also gives as a (pretty silly) lore dump about the ring. Apparently every five hundred years Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are perfectly aligned for 8 minutes and 14 seconds, and the ring was forged during such event in January 14th 1318 (in real life they weren't close to each other at that time). Weiss also has a magic compass that helped him to find the ring-bearer and he believes that he could unlock the ring's true powers that are far greater than we've seen so far.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! September 3, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 9, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 11, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 13, 1936

Mopsy May 14, 1937

Up Front June 24, 1944

Dark Laughter May 22, 1948

Those Were the Days January 7, 1954

Wee Pals December 2, 1965

Dogbert April 16, 1966

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Nah. It's fine.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 22, 1946)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Judge Parker (February 2021)

Sophie's still got no friends.

CODE RED! CODE RED! The characters are aware of the narration! Fourth Wall breech imminent!

False alarm: Sophie was distracted by a familiar voice. Let's see how Neddy's doing.

I don't like Kat. I'm not sure if we're supposed to or not.

Ghost or hallucination? Hallucination. But one of those ones fictional characters have so they can sort out their feelings in a more dramatic fashion than just sitting in silence because it's all happening inside their mind.

So I guess Neddy's ready to move on now. Maybe she'll even move out of Ronnie's place.