Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Note: Stu is not COVID positive at this time

so we managed to schedule a recording session, and we've finally made it to The Supremes as was prophesied three years ago.

*pounding table* GRAND BAR GAIN. GRAND BAR GAIN!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Can't wait to listen to this on my ride home. This was the second most anticipated episode for me, first obviously being the election one where we learn that Jimmy Smitts fucks so good it breaks beds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acinonyx posted:

the election one where we learn that Jimmy Smitts fucks so good it breaks beds.

I have the perfect song for the segment break when we get to that episode

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
stumbled upon this thread and am enjoying the podcast! I'm working backwards from the most recent episode. I unironically enjoy the west wing and also enjoy dumping on its lovely politics

I assume y'all haven't listened to the west wing weekly, and that's probably just as well, but the superfan co-host over there had a funny theory. the intern who arrives during the shutdown to collect garbage, who one of you figured might be a spy? their theory was that she's a ghost and only toby can talk to her, as apparently she doesn't interact with anyone else in her first couple episodes. and I think they cited mrs landingham's posthumous conversation with bartlet as evidence that ghosts exist in the show

anyway, keep up the great work! subscribed

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

stumbled upon this thread and am enjoying the podcast! I'm working backwards from the most recent episode. I unironically enjoy the west wing and also enjoy dumping on its lovely politics

I assume y'all haven't listened to the west wing weekly, and that's probably just as well, but the superfan co-host over there had a funny theory. the intern who arrives during the shutdown to collect garbage, who one of you figured might be a spy? their theory was that she's a ghost and only toby can talk to her, as apparently she doesn't interact with anyone else in her first couple episodes. and I think they cited mrs landingham's posthumous conversation with bartlet as evidence that ghosts exist in the show

anyway, keep up the great work! subscribed

TY for the nice feedback.

theory re: Rina Ghost would hold if the other assistants didnt notice and shun her for daring to show cleavage and uncover her legs in a professional setting

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Note: Stu is not COVID positive at this time

so we managed to schedule a recording session, and we've finally made it to The Supremes as was prophesied three years ago.

*pounding table* GRAND BAR GAIN. GRAND BAR GAIN!!

excellent episode, btw. realllly enjoyed

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Ginsburg and Scalia are friends; ain't that cute" was definitely a thing before Scalia died.

RBG being sad was definitely one of the first thoughts one of my radlib, West Wing fangirl facebook friends had after Scalia stopped breathing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
"rbg and scalia were bffs off the clock, good or bad" is the perfect centrism test

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
as much as 9/11 is my JFK assassination moment I also have Scalia Dies and RBG Dies as those moments

I can describe perfectly what was happening and how I felt

the latter was one of the most trying times of my marriage as I crackpinged hard in front of my wife and inlaws

so I step lightly around the subject

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm around the season four inauguration two-parter (going backwards in time), and y'all are wondering if sorkin was running on empty ideologically. sounds plausible. it's also kinda weird/sad that he couldn't put together an actual writer's room, which could've helped generate some ideas?? everything I've heard/read puts it more like it a research-and-anecdotes room. pen some memos while daddy sorkin squeezes out next week's episode in his private office

must've been a weird place to work

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
It's explained if you watch Studio 60 (don't watch Studio 60). The writers room is a bunch of writers standing around watching the Big Brain White True Genius Man actually write the show. They are always in awe. Also, Sorkin spent his whole run of the show loving writers out of story credits/money. I'm not sure how many good writers would sign up for or stay in that sort of situation.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I finally did watch Studio 60 after years of heeding the "it's bad" chorus

it's bad

though often people say it's bad because the show within the show isn't funny, except that's how I feel about SNL, so that part totally worked for me heh

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Come on now, that snl lady singing hallelujah after trump won was hilarious
And also a certified Sorkin Moment

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I finally did watch Studio 60 after years of heeding the "it's bad" chorus

it's bad

though often people say it's bad because the show within the show isn't funny, except that's how I feel about SNL, so that part totally worked for me heh

it's interesting seeing the contrasting takes on how to treat the show within the show with 30 Rock and Studio 60.

30 Rock treated the fictional SNL stand in TGS like it was a piece of poo poo. Every time they cut to a sketch from TGS it was the dumbest poo poo you could think of, like Fart Doctor. And that was the joke, that TGS was a piece of poo poo but Liz had to keep it going anyway.

Studio 60 treats its fictional SNL stand in show like it was the most important show in the entire god damned world. When they show a sketch, they try to make them look both important and funny, while succeeding at neither. There's no joke, they want you to think their fictional SNL show is really really good, but Sorkin can't write sketch comedy so it fails every time.

Studio 60 failed after one season, 30 Rock got 7 seasons and a bunch of awards.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

it's interesting seeing the contrasting takes on how to treat the show within the show with 30 Rock and Studio 60.

30 Rock treated the fictional SNL stand in TGS like it was a piece of poo poo. Every time they cut to a sketch from TGS it was the dumbest poo poo you could think of, like Fart Doctor. And that was the joke, that TGS was a piece of poo poo but Liz had to keep it going anyway.

Studio 60 treats its fictional SNL stand in show like it was the most important show in the entire god damned world. When they show a sketch, they try to make them look both important and funny, while succeeding at neither. There's no joke, they want you to think their fictional SNL show is really really good, but Sorkin can't write sketch comedy so it fails every time.

Studio 60 failed after one season, 30 Rock got 7 seasons and a bunch of awards.

and I think they premiered within a month of each other? it's a perfect comparison

Sports Night sits in between, because the people working on the sports show take their job seriously, but the show-within-a-show is an also-ran highlight reel that nobody else in that world cares about. it's not bad, it's not good, it's not globally important, it just exists to tell stories

Sorkin applied the same formula four times and only got it right the first time

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

also I'm disappointed that "Tommy Schlamme" hasn't been said yet on the podcast because it's such a great name

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ahaha ok I got to the acknowledgement of The West Wing Weekly with its lovely recaps and endless nepotastic stories. there are some good interviews though!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

ahaha ok I got to the acknowledgement of The West Wing Weekly with its lovely recaps and endless nepotastic stories. there are some good interviews though!

there are, i just got really sick of hearing "well how did you get cast on The West Wing?" "well I knew Aaron already from working with him on X"

just laying bare how Hollywood success is all about who you know

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

there are, i just got really sick of hearing "well how did you get cast on The West Wing?" "well I knew Aaron already from working with him on X"

just laying bare how Hollywood success is all about who you know

even that would be fair enough if it didn't go alongside a simpering "oh they're just the best". I get why people do it but ugh. talk some poo poo!

at least Molina totally admits to writing desperate emails to get work, having Sorkin to thank for his entire career, and generally not giving a gently caress so long as he gets paid. I respect the honesty

edit: lol you literally say the same thing minutes later. I should listen before I post!

pokeyman has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Aug 28, 2021

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

even that would be fair enough if it didn't go alongside a simpering "oh they're just the best". I get why people do it but ugh. talk some poo poo!

at least Molina totally admits to writing desperate emails to get work, having Sorkin to thank for his entire career, and generally not giving a gently caress so long as he gets paid. I respect the honesty

edit: lol you literally say the same thing minutes later. I should listen before I post!

yeah I totally respect him being like "there's no real glory in what I do, I stand around and read what other people have written down, it's not like i'm a doctor or anything"

i wish more celebrities kept a degree of self awareness like that

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
The Return of the King came out same year as West Wing Season 5

Rohirrim challenge!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

how could y'all not mention the redeeming part of The Leadership Breakfast, ending a line with:

"…we can't put a forkful of waffles in our mouth without coughing up the ball."

that's some god-tier mixing of metaphors

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/futurehasbeen/status/1435669765150834689?s=21

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
sorry for the delay

do NOT watch this one

i'm tired

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sorry for the delay

do NOT watch this one

i'm tired

Don't worry, I'm not watching ANY of these again.
Except for maybe the one where he slaps a giant solar panel the size of nevada on the map. or the one where CJ gets a present because she's tall. My recoloection of west wing episodes is weird.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ha ha y'all watched Access

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sorry for the delay

do NOT watch this one

i'm tired
It's funny that you two mentioned the Hagerty Incident on this episode, because Behind the Bastards just did a three-part segment on the other side of that whole mess. TLDR: an unreconstructed fascist was Prime Minister at the time (sponsored by the CIA, naturally) and he was being so nakedly authoritarian that large portions of the country rose up in protest against him. Hagerty was just part of the diplomatic crossfire. Links:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-one-the-slavery-loving-fascist-who-built-modern-japan-86958933
https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-two-the-slavery-loving-fascist-who-built-modern-japan-86988946
https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-three-the-slavery-loving-fascist-who-built-modern-japan-87016357

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NGDBSS posted:

It's funny that you two mentioned the Hagerty Incident on this episode, because Behind the Bastards just did a three-part segment on the other side of that whole mess. TLDR: an unreconstructed fascist was Prime Minister at the time (sponsored by the CIA, naturally) and he was being so nakedly authoritarian that large portions of the country rose up in protest against him. Hagerty was just part of the diplomatic crossfire. Links:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-one-the-slavery-loving-fascist-who-built-modern-japan-86958933
https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-two-the-slavery-loving-fascist-who-built-modern-japan-86988946
https://www.stitcher.com/show/behind-the-bastards/episode/part-three-the-slavery-loving-fascist-who-built-modern-japan-87016357

holy poo poo! thanks for hte background on this I'm super interested. I had a memory of Hagerty from my USAP professor in high school having some sorta personal connection to him... of which I recall no details.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also I have a shamefully positive review of at least one of our latest two episodes.

There's some drama which is actually preeeeetty well crafted in the second episode we touch on today. You just have to wade through the garbage about neoliberal orthodoxy beforehand. I'm sorry.

ANTHRAX

ZOOM
ENHANCE

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

good ep!

I can't believe I skipped No Exit on my rewatch! it doesn't deserve my consigning it to the trash bin with most of season 5.

I've always been confused by Talking Points. even as a liberal dipshit teenager, I didn't understand why they acted like they were up against some unstoppable force. hell, Josh alone could probably come up with a dozen ways to scuttle the bill, and probably a couple ways to give his union supporters a break. The Stackhouse Filibuster is a funny comparison here, where they told everyone that a bill's passage was inevitable so they could leave early on a Friday, then the second they have a change of heart it's trivial to change the bill.

it's only now occurring to me that maybe Sorkin made Bartlet an economist so that anytime the subject comes up he could have Bartlet basically say "gently caress you it's economics wanna fight about it?" while petting his Nobel prize. never mind that exactly zero of his "smart people who disagree with me" staff have ever wanna fight about it.

is "Ron Butterman" a reference passing me by or just a frequent brain fart? (the head secret service guy is Ron Butterfield)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pokeyman posted:

is "Ron Butterman" a reference passing me by or just a frequent brain fart? (the head secret service guy is Ron Butterfield)

I think that's just me being high and thinking that Butterman is a much funnier name than Butterfield. I get a lot of names wrong.

And you make a great point about Josh not actually DOING anything about the bill despite the power the show constantly tells us he has. Guess he's fine with being used after all.

Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed the episode!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I think that's just me being high and thinking that Butterman is a much funnier name than Butterfield. I get a lot of names wrong.

I mean you're not wrong, I grin every time you say it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Greetings, not to post self importantly here but between the two of us we have some employment situations that are both good but throwing our schedules for a loop as we reset our brains to the new routine

Next ep, season 5 finale arc, will be further delayed due to these developments

I hope everyone has similar good times happening in this, the best working man's labor market in a generation

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Grats on the jobs.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

Hell yea, goon success stories. The system works!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yikes, it's been a while

We did it fam! We beat Season 5!

I was fightin a cold (not COVID) while we were recording so please forgive a bit of weird/bad mic discipline, sorry if you have auditory triggers etc

Onwards dear friends once more, into the content mines

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eyy congrats on positive employment scenarios and on nearly getting through the worst of the west wing!

I like the idea of Leo taking Josh off the board with "go see Donna" but I think that's total headcanon. with Josh 100% on board, why would Leo care if he's around? would've been a cool plot point though

it doesn't counter the downright vile things that get said by others, but it's interesting that they put Kate, by far the most competent (and least politically loyal (she votes Republican in season 7)) person in the room, on the pro-Palestinian side. and speaking of vile things, y'all didn't bring it up so maybe I'm thinking of a different episode, but doesn't Will get some pretty nasty lines? I remember it being weird to drag him out of hiding just to explain how Palestinians are subhuman

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
is the beginning of season 6 not when they have the summit and broker peace between Palestine and Israel? it happens at some point. it might also be the only thing the Bartlett administration ever actually accomplished in-universe as a clean win.

Leo’s death deprived us of President Alan Alda and ruptured the West Wing / Canadian Bacon timeline, because the writers then had to give the win to Smitts out of sympathy.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

pokeyman posted:

and speaking of vile things, y'all didn't bring it up so maybe I'm thinking of a different episode, but doesn't Will get some pretty nasty lines? I remember it being weird to drag him out of hiding just to explain how Palestinians are subhuman

not as I recall, although Will Bailey soundsl ike the teacher from Peanuts when he talks while I'm watching so I am not a reliable judge. nor will I rewatch these episodes!

Tewdrig posted:

is the beginning of season 6 not when they have the summit and broker peace between Palestine and Israel? it happens at some point. it might also be the only thing the Bartlett administration ever actually accomplished in-universe as a clean win.

iirc yes

it gets weirder and weirder as the Non-9/11 Timeline diverges, and this is my conspiracy-brained idea of why the show got cancelled. it became more unrecognizable as the pivot point of the entire Western Universe was just elided entirely from the canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tewdrig posted:

Leo’s death deprived us of President Alan Alda and ruptured the West Wing / Canadian Bacon timeline, because the writers then had to give the win to Smitts out of sympathy.

yep first couple episodes of season 6 are I-P summit (and they are dire)

Gunshow Poophole posted:

not as I recall, although Will Bailey soundsl ike the teacher from Peanuts when he talks while I'm watching so I am not a reliable judge. nor will I rewatch these episodes!

I must be thinking of another episode. I remember him swooping in from nowhere to be a huge piece of poo poo at some point

quote:

it gets weirder and weirder as the Non-9/11 Timeline diverges, and this is my conspiracy-brained idea of why the show got cancelled. it became more unrecognizable as the pivot point of the entire Western Universe was just elided entirely from the canon

Leo's always been a hawk but his turn towards "gently caress you never compromise" comes outta nowhere in the show universe. it makes way more sense if you assume the writers took that common wrong turn after 9/11 and needed an outlet