Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
"It has to have been for something" says guy who routinely told himself "it's ok, one day I'll be their boss in charge of their favorite childhood IPs" as he was getting swirlied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don’t even think it’s that deep I think it’s just “these idiots will cut us in on 12.5% of their net paycheck for life”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

it just does my head in to watch all the things that people made fun of, mocked, or generally regarded as the worst of the worst nerd poo poo back when i was growing up going increasingly mainstream and monetized and seemingly being successful.
nerds make 200k a year and don't have families or take vacations so they have tons of disposable income

mandatory lesbian posted:

What? third shift loving rules, everybody is so lax at those times and you get a differential so theyre paying you more to do less work then first shift

lol extra pay, I wish. working overnight will eat your brain and destroy your social life over time but yeah the work is almost always easier

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Dog when i was working third shift i was still going out on weekends and poo poo, idk what you mean by destroying social life

And my brains already mush you cant break down whats already gone

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

I remember last year there was a large case involving people protesting against the BLM while at the same time the BLM protests were happening and people were getting arrested and I never knew which was which.

HENNIMORE!!!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Third shift 100% prevents the development of a social life if you don't come pre-installed with large amounts of friends who go to parties or events.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Third shift 100% prevents the development of a social life if you don't come pre-installed with large amounts of friends who go to parties or events.

No it doesnt lol, yall just losers i think. I moved to minneapolis and started third shift work almost immediately and still went to bars and stuff

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

having to work the night shift at my local paper on saturdays decimated my social life for a while there, having a tuesday-saturday schedule on $27k a year was the worst thing

nobody wants to stay out late at a bar on a sunday or a monday lol

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Congrats on being able to wake up and immediately start drinking as a lifestyle, I guess?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah i see the disconnect, the place i worked third shift was sunday night thru thursday night

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

"I see the disconnect, there were other circumstances besides my specific ones."

I worked third shift in Minneapolis for over a year and, as a person who has never been a drinker, it sucked rear end. It really blows to always be coming when everyone else is going, and vice versa.
Then my apartment complex started doing construction for a month during the day and I had a seizure from exhaustion.

Organic Lube User has issued a correction as of 13:57 on Aug 27, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Organic Lube User posted:

"I see the disconnect, there were other circumstances besides my specific ones."

Yeah, sucks to be yall lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

No it doesnt lol, yall just losers i think. I moved to minneapolis and started third shift work almost immediately and still went to bars and stuff

Okay, so how do I make friends that don't go to bars?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

No, see, not drinking is what makes you a loser. And also having to do third shift work on the weekend. gently caress those assholes.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I drink multiple beers a day, I just don't and won't pay bar prices for alcohol. And weed is better anyway.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

I drink multiple beers a day, I just don't and won't pay bar prices for alcohol. And weed is better anyway.

Guess we're losers, man. Nothing to be done.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Idk do a dating app or something, its the 21st century there are solutions

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lmao, which one(s)? Okcupid is comprehensively a waste of my time, I've discovered.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
apparently Kesha was in the 1991 film F.A.R.T.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I worked third shift, 4pm -2am 4 days a week (every other fourth day was a half day) and it ruled as long as I didn't need to go to like a government office.
I think if I had a dog it would have been hell to fall asleep at like 3 and have a dog wanting to go out at 3.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JoelGord/status/1430714600341733381?s=20

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Lmao, which one(s)? Okcupid is comprehensively a waste of my time, I've discovered.

Gotta be honest it doesnt sound like working third shift is the source of your problems

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
with how dating works now, as an old person, I can't even consume new rom com content because I have no clue what's going on anymore.

also I married my first girlfriend so I'm probably not a good case study but at least before I understood the general setup.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gotta be honest it doesnt sound like working third shift is the source of your problems

from personal experience its really more a catalyst for preexisting problems

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

and now it is the pop culture thread that is derailed

how ironic

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

with how dating works now, as an old person, I can't even consume new rom com content because I have no clue what's going on anymore.

also I married my first girlfriend so I'm probably not a good case study but at least before I understood the general setup.

Goongrats! I promise you are missing nothing in romcoms, they are just plain bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tubgoat posted:

you go to parties and then go straight to work, then sleep when everyone else is at their 9-5

as my friend who did this would say, would you rather be tired at work or tired when hanging out with friends? compelling argument

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I worked third shift, 4pm -2am 4 days a week (every other fourth day was a half day) and it ruled as long as I didn't need to go to like a government office.
I think if I had a dog it would have been hell to fall asleep at like 3 and have a dog wanting to go out at 3.

that’s like second and a half shift. probably my favorite shift I ever worked was 5-1

also

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

you go to parties and then go straight to work, then sleep when everyone else is at their 9-5

if you work third shift you start at 10-11pm, what parties are bumping at 7 o’clock

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

indigi posted:

if you work third shift you start at 10-11pm, what parties are bumping at 7 o’clock

Bingo hall's good to go for another hour!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/drogon_dracarys/status/1431092353704603649

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus Christ why does it seemingly take 42 months to bring these rapists to trial and then another 8-12 for anything to come of it (acquittal/settlement). I feel like I’ve been hearing about this latest R Kelly case for years now

also Ignition (Remix) can never die

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

proper midwestern parties full of people of german descent who don't take 3 hours to get ready :colbert:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dr. King did warn us about white moderates flossing through oppression.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The exhibit is far more depressing than any description can prepare you for.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I doubted ya'll about how bad Legend of Korra was but holy poo poo. Henry Rollins broke down a literal wall between the classes in Ba Sing Se and we, the viewers, are supposed to view this as bad. He is a bad man for overthrowing the monarchy of the Earth Kingdom and introducing class mobility to that society.

Also partway into s4 the heroes are reflecting on those they've defeated along the way and sum them up with "they were too extreme in their ideologies." Yeah, I mean, one guy was trying to take over the world, the next to end it with evil spirits, and the third wanted to... tear down existing political structures that the protagonists even agree are bad political structures but uh the plot has to go somewhere so better stop him! Plus it's Henry Rollins so he's probably bad!

s3 in particular, y'know normally the problem with an Anarchist like Rollins' character is the obvious "oh yeah? how will you overthrow all existing state structures without wielding one yourself?!" but he has a pretty clear answer for that in the form of spirits and bending. IRL Anarchists should obviously just learn straight up magic too.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
legend of korra got hobbled because they thought they were only getting one season, then they kept getting one more season, so it's like every season feels like it's ushering in something new, and then they have all these bad guys who are all basically Amon

that and the whole society in republic society is maddeningly unclear. all benders occupy positions of power and/or are criminal thugs, except for the ones who work as humanoid generators in factory and live on the streets which get mentioned exactly once. there's so much good stuff in korra, a story about an avatar dealing with really complex situations, and benders dealing with a society that can replicate their feats -- all great stuff. but goddamn the execution just stumbles so much. bolin and mako feel like they just have nothing to do. asami just keeps having 'oh no, my father figure is corrupt' stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so that nirvana kid is an rear end in a top hat lmao

quote:

Elden, now 30 and an artist himself, has had a complicated relationship with the Nirvana cover, among the most recognizable in all of popular music. As a young man, he re-created the pool scene on numerous occasions, including for the album’s 10th, 15th, and 25th anniversaries. He has the word “nevermind” tattooed on his chest.

However, his enthusiasm appears to have waned in recent years. In a 2016 interview with GQ Australia, Elden said his stance on the photograph changed after he reached out to Nirvana to see if the band would participate in an art show he was putting on. “I was asking if they wanted to put a piece of art in the loving thing,” he said. “I was getting referred to their managers and their lawyers. Why am I still on their cover if I’m not that big of a deal?”

In that same interview, Elden discussed the negative aspects of the notoriety, too. When asked if the cover affected his relationships, he said, “Totally. Everyone thinks you’re making money from it.”

“You’ll hook up with a hot chick, and then they figure out you’re not making any money from it and they’ll dump you,”
he went on. “You have these people who think you’re cool because you’re the Nirvana baby. But it’s loving weird, man. It’s like that dream where you go to school without your clothes on.”