Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Was there a USA "Cross of Gold" event in V2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Here's my money idea: track wealth in gold ounces, with public and private currency conversion factors for each country based on the amount of gold in public circulation+country stockpile. So hoarding gold will cause your purchasing power per ounce to decrease (inflation) while the public and other countries would experience deflation (less gold available, but more purchasing power per ounce).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PerniciousKnid posted:

Here's my money idea: track wealth in gold ounces, with public and private currency conversion factors for each country based on the amount of gold in public circulation+country stockpile. So hoarding gold will cause your purchasing power per ounce to decrease (inflation) while the public and other countries would experience deflation (less gold available, but more purchasing power per ounce).
Shouldn't deflation/inflation happen organically as a result of the amount of money in the hands of your pops? In any case, the money in your stockpile certainly shouldn't count, as it's actually not in play - it is effectively gold in the ground - until the point where you start spending it and it starts making its way through your economy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Shouldn't deflation/inflation happen organically as a result of the amount of money in the hands of your pops? In any case, the money in your stockpile certainly shouldn't count, as it's actually not in play - it is effectively gold in the ground - until the point where you start spending it and it starts making its way through your economy.

I don't think it makes sense to treat an entity sitting on a hoard of gold as though they don't have any, realistically but especially for game purpose.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't think it makes sense to treat an entity sitting on a hoard of gold as though they don't have any, realistically but especially for game purpose.
Taxation is literally used in the real world to fight inflation. If the entity don't spent it, the money supply is reduced, which leads to deflation. It is essentially reverse minting.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Taxation is literally used in the real world to fight inflation. If the entity don't spent it, the money supply is reduced, which leads to deflation. It is essentially reverse minting.

That's why I said you have a separate factor for the private sector vs the government. But if the government itself is sitting on infinity gold nobody is going to buy that they can only spend a billionth of an ounce per widget because currency is tight.

Realistically the government would buy things and the gold value would enter the private system, because it serves no purpose otherwise.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hey you can’t say that, that’s heterodox Modern Monetary Theory!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It’s very specifically not gold in the ground, it’s gold which was taken out of the ground, purified, cast into ingots or specie, and then taken out of circulation in order to chill in storage.

Every step of that process has a set of effects on the availability of currency metals, the labor required to source them, the labor required to refine them, the labor required to move them, and all of the equipment required for all of that labor. Those effects also have knock-on effects of their own.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's the point in gold if not to hoard it? :smaug:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Poil posted:

What's the point in gold if not to hoard it? :smaug:

Please let us have the ability to mod in a Dragon culture. :smaug:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

This is something I'd really like to see fleshed out Inna DLC/update. I don't see why you couldn't come up with a confidence/interest rate based mechanic rather than a hard cutoff.

mainly because it is much better to have "fun gameplay" as an absolute priority rather than a better simulation (imho)

besides, those mechanics are very cost-intensive - checking how interest rates would impact supply of food in a game doesn't seem to be much more different than the econometric exercises in R in university. each additional variable for the sake of a better simulation, without cheating with ceteris paribus ("everything else constant", one of the most beloved provisions of modern economics for that reason), is going to piledrive the cpu lol

of course, all that abstractions so far make victoria's economy absolutely different from reality, but in terms of effect it actually may deliver a much better representation of what happens than explicitly going down the route of simulation

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
On the other hand whenever you see a hard cutoff one can't help but worry it'll end up becoming load bearing in some fashion.

Another considering is how much of Victoria's intended audience see the fun gameplay as deriving from it having a better simulation! In a neat little chicken and egg sort of scenario.

I think one work around for a confidence based measurement which would tie into something I think I thought of earlier which is to treat capitalist pops as being partly stateless; not entirely tied by their nationality and act as something of a global consortium or a representation of "Capital" which would decide such things based on economic and socio-economic indicators. Their aggregate "Score" determines confidence in your currency which is then modified by your gold reserves. Low confidence can be offset by large gold reserves; but low confidence and say switching to fiat currency as a result of war might invite massive inflation and economic disruption and unrest. You would make this calculation as a result of checks you were already doing with POPs anyways.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the level of financial simulation as described in the DD is perfect. You'd need a game entirely focused on victorian monetary shenanigans to really make it worth deeper simulation. I'm very ok with money being quite abstracted.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The currency value just vanishing represents the losses to your nation of having economists

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The gold limit isn't even a hard cutoff. It's a point beyond which diminishing returns kick in, but the % of the weekly income you keep gradually increases rather than immediately going to X

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

It’s very specifically not gold in the ground, it’s gold which was taken out of the ground, purified, cast into ingots or specie, and then taken out of circulation in order to chill in storage.

Every step of that process has a set of effects on the availability of currency metals, the labor required to source them, the labor required to refine them, the labor required to move them, and all of the equipment required for all of that labor. Those effects also have knock-on effects of their own.
Is, not was. All the things you mention is about the currency before it entered the vault, which are entirely irrelevant to what it is when it is inside the vault.

LonsomeSon posted:

The currency value just vanishing represents the losses to your nation of having economists
Actually, this made me think, did they mention how the money supply works? Because the money straight up disappearing, rather than just getting siphoned off into the pockets of bureaucrats, aristocrats, and capitalists seems like a potential source of problems?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is, not was. All the things you mention is about the currency before it entered the vault, which are entirely irrelevant to what it is when it is inside the vault.

Actually, this made me think, did they mention how the money supply works? Because the money straight up disappearing, rather than just getting siphoned off into the pockets of bureaucrats, aristocrats, and capitalists seems like a potential source of problems?

I'm really hoping after V2 they've got the whole money supply problem on lock down. Wiz knows his V2 very well, both the good and the bad. The whole way money works is so different this time, it's all about cash flows rather than cash hoarding. Just like goods are stockpiled, money isn't really stockpiled its converted into gold stocks which are very much their own thing. V3 seems to be all about flows rather than stockpiles.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the deranged poo poo about flows is fuckin up lyapunov exponents so the derivative gets all hosed up

of course they also need to have this as a feature. gotta get some natural way to have depressions and bubbles in there

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure they said there's unlimited money. No longer will the global economy collapse because some fatcats in Saskatoon own literally all the money in the world

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
None of this would be a problem if the British Empire had simply run on Bitcoin

Wiz have you considered running the V3 economic simulation on the blockchain

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DaysBefore posted:

Pretty sure they said there's unlimited money. No longer will the global economy collapse because some fatcats in Saskatoon own literally all the money in the world

Yes I think in the dev diary on goods they mentioned that all goods produced will get sold on the market regardless of what the demand is (the demand just affects how much they are sold for), so money is just created by the system as needed to fulfill these orders. On the opposite side of the spectrum, buyers don't give the money they spend on goods to anyone, it just gets destroyed (the automatic sale of all goods means that this abstraction more or less works out how you'd think it would in that buyers spend money and sellers get money, but the handling of money this way just makes the system a lot easier to control).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't know if it's been posted in this thread already and it's not on the topic of simulated economics, but Johan mentioned in a reddit thread that national flags are dynamic and use the same software that CK3 uses to handle coats of arms. So the number of stars on the US flag changes to match how many states you have, which is pretty neat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Takanago posted:

None of this would be a problem if the British Empire had simply run on Bitcoin

Wiz have you considered running the V3 economic simulation on the blockchain

There should be dlcs to change the economy to make different ideologies reality. Libertopia dlc, crypto dlc, etc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes I think in the dev diary on goods they mentioned that all goods produced will get sold on the market regardless of what the demand is (the demand just affects how much they are sold for), so money is just created by the system as needed to fulfill these orders. On the opposite side of the spectrum, buyers don't give the money they spend on goods to anyone, it just gets destroyed (the automatic sale of all goods means that this abstraction more or less works out how you'd think it would in that buyers spend money and sellers get money, but the handling of money this way just makes the system a lot easier to control).
Maybe I'm not getting it, but how is this different from all the buyers pooling their money, the sellers pooling their goods, and then everyone getting a share of the opposite pool equal to their contribution to their own? I'm not seeing where the money supply is unlimited, it's just destroyed and then recreated as part of the transaction from how you describe it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah this was my reading of it too, which made me wonder if "crises of overproduction" will be possible at all in this game, or will the economy just be perfect all the time?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Presumably at some point you'll end up selling at less than the cost of production, which of course is unsustainable in the long run. Causing the capitalists to shut down all cement factories and making the global economy collapse completely, if we're lucky :v:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There should be dlcs to change the economy to make different ideologies reality. Libertopia dlc, crypto dlc, etc

I'm honestly kinda hoping we get some mods that change the kind of goods that we make so we end up with things like a steampunk mod/magitek or arcanum mod, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Your capiatlists has build a airship factroy

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

V3 DLC to include gold reserve room to CK3’s throne room, but you can swim in it like Scrooge McDuck.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

guidoanselmi posted:

V3 DLC to include gold reserve room to CK3’s throne room, but you can swim in it like Scrooge McDuck.

73%: [head of state] dies!
27%: +100 prestige

... Actually, now that I think about it, do we know if prestige is a thing in V3?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe I'm not getting it, but how is this different from all the buyers pooling their money, the sellers pooling their goods, and then everyone getting a share of the opposite pool equal to their contribution to their own? I'm not seeing where the money supply is unlimited, it's just destroyed and then recreated as part of the transaction from how you describe it.

The key thing is that if say, 1000 units of cement are produced, but only 100 units are actually demanded by the market, all 1000 units are still sold, with 900 of them just not going anywhere. There are no buyers for those 900 units, the money is just created and given to the people who sold them.

At least, this is my understanding based on how it was described in the dev diary - I may be misunderstanding it but they did definitely say that the money supply is not finite the way it was in Vicky 2.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Pakled posted:

73%: [head of state] dies!
27%: +100 prestige

... Actually, now that I think about it, do we know if prestige is a thing in V3?

It is , and it's still used as part of the Great Power calculations and stuff.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The key thing is that if say, 1000 units of cement are produced, but only 100 units are actually demanded by the market, all 1000 units are still sold, with 900 of them just not going anywhere. There are no buyers for those 900 units, the money is just created and given to the people who sold them.

At least, this is my understanding based on how it was described in the dev diary - I may be misunderstanding it but they did definitely say that the money supply is not finite the way it was in Vicky 2.

A factory can be churning out something that nobody wants but it's still making money instead of going bankrupt? Or is money made by pops working at a factory seperate from the profit from said factory? I guess it will keep those pesky liberals from boarding up all of my specifically curated and subsdised industries at least

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

A factory can be churning out something that nobody wants but it's still making money instead of going bankrupt? Or is money made by pops working at a factory seperate from the profit from said factory? I guess it will keep those pesky liberals from boarding up all of my specifically curated and subsdised industries at least

If surplus units are being produced, the market price falls until enough factories cease operation to eliminate the surplus.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Producing more things than there is demand for will lower the sell price of a good, and if that price drops below the cost of manufacture (ie wages+material cost), the factory will eat into its cash reserves until bankruptcy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ngl I'm expecting V3 to be a mess on release, but it's gonna be a hot mess not a Leviathan mess.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a Vicky game that isn't a mess isn't a Vicky game tbh

how can it be a true sequel without some absurd interaction between the systems that causes the economy to grind to a halt in 10% of all games?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Charlz Guybon posted:

But a 19th century Imperial power with the capabilities of the modern US would simply use the gross power disparity to completely annihilate a few tribes supporting the Taliban until the rest bent the knee. And if they refused, they would just keep killing them until there's so few left that their tribal enemies can sweep them away. Fire bomb villages to ash, nerve gas, tactical nuclear weapons, etc. Now, this would be completely immoral and evil, but it would work.

Now, 19th century powers didn't have nerve gas or tactical nukes, but the power disparity is there and they have the will to use it. So, if the AI is in character, Belgium and co would be completely willing to kill millions in Africa in order to get what they want.

You realize the mightiest 19th century imperial power did in fact attempt to do the whole imperialism thing in Afghanistan during the 19th century and it didn't work out very well, yes?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Orange Devil posted:

You realize the mightiest 19th century imperial power did in fact attempt to do the whole imperialism thing in Afghanistan during the 19th century and it didn't work out very well, yes?
To be fair, they were extremely loving stupid about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

From what I understand, the British tried to militarily prop up a puppet government without setting up colonial institutions (sounds familiar), so not Belgian Congo, or even British India/Ireland.