Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Darthemed posted:

Sounds like the music video for "Free", by VAST. (link jumps to the butterfly release part)

THANK YOU. I don't even remember that band name but it's nice to finally see it again. I was mixing the colors of the windshield splatter with the butterflies flying out. Weird how your memory combines different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This twitter thread is going around currently
https://twitter.com/Ilana_Who_/status/1423435411225989127

It is really hard to explain to a younger person who weird and creepy the post 9/11 patriotism was, and how basically impossible it was to stand against it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I saw one too fairly recently, and pretty much the same questions ran through my mind; what leads one to actively display… that?

I saw a bumper sticker recently myself, and I regularly get calls from John Galt Staffing asking me if I'm looking for a job.

John Galt is the hero of an Ayn Rand book, and idiot libertarians think it makes them look smart and cool to reference it. Anyone with half a brain will realize that this means that person is a gently caress You Got Mine rear end in a top hat.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I walked past a guy in his car with a Lovecraft bumper sticker next to a Who is John Galt? sticker and i was gonna ask how objectivism lines up with cosmic horror idea that we all basically exist at the whims of forces beyond our control. But then i realized the real answer is "both of them were racist."

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Lazermaniac posted:

Summer of 2001 was a weird time to move to the US from Russia, especially as a lanky nearly-teenager.

My family touched down at the O'Hare airport in Chicago in early June 2001. Most of my family - my father, the visa holder, had gone on ahead to set up a place to live, transportation, and just generally start his job. We were now following him with what little we could fit of our belongings into a bunch of heavy cargo bags. One of the songs on the airplane radio was the Da Mutz WAZZZUUP dance remix. A young black woman smiled brightly and welcomed me to the United States. It was dark by the time my father picked us up in a rental Passat hatchback. I was barely awake by this point, so I just remember seeing lit-up billboards and road signs passing by. We all went to bed without unpacking.

[snip]

Could go on for days and days, but man, what a weird decade to go from 11 to 21 in.

I know this is from months ago, but I had an extremely similar experience immigrating stateside and it's so odd to read a timeshifted version of my life (the Moscow bazaar thing we got was rollerblades, and on the train out of Siberia we watched a woman bribe a cop with a fish). I came in 1996 when I was younger, though, and they didn't have ESL at my school so I learned my English from listening to teenagers from my apartment balcony, watching Pokemon, Arthur, and the X-Files. High-key convinced my teachers thought I had a mental disability, because that's what you get in 90's suburban Ohio, despite my impeccable math skills and outstanding handwriting.

By the time the towers came down I was still too young to understand what was going on, and so was everybody else in Mrs Morgan's math class, baffled why the AV cart was in the room watching this instead of announcements. I was recovering from an extremely traumatic car accident and moved to Texas at the time so it just slid past my radar between physical therapy, surgeries, moving house, and general kid poo poo. My takeaway as a kid was that my favorite shows weren't on for days in favor of news coverage, not realizing that the weird, pubescent, misdirected anger of the 2000s would lead directly to today's burning hellworld. I don't know which of The Bad Things it was but 2001-2008 are essentially a black hole in my brain.

Anyway I'll have a frosty and some spicy chicken nuggets I guess

RE: nu-metal: not quite nu-metal but nothing says "2000s" to me quite like Three Doors Down

AveMachina has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Aug 25, 2021

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Is that Elon musk

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They should've stuck with elevators.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Everyone knew at least one person who could "program a card" to get free satellite.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It is really hard to explain to a younger person who weird and creepy the post 9/11 patriotism was, and how basically impossible it was to stand against it.

Young people with dumb hot takes, part the infinity.

Nobody tell her what happened after Pearl Harbor, she might go catatonic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Young people with dumb hot takes, part the infinity.

Nobody tell her what happened after Pearl Harbor, she might go catatonic.

You think she doesn't rember?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mlnhd posted:

Is that Elon musk

This was Old Musky in 2000:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbh9-mNmviE

Can't believe it's coming up on 20 years since I was really into Homestar Runner.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This was Old Musky in 2000:

That is an unfortunate hairline for that age.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbh9-mNmviE

Can't believe it's coming up on 20 years since I was really into Homestar Runner.

I remember a guy wearing a homestar runner shirt, and making a comment on it and he had no idea what i was talking about. He thought it was a band shirt.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Not American, but we even saw RESPECT DA FLAG bullshit on bumper stickers and the like. Of course I was way too young to fully grasp the situation other than "some boring office buildings fell down."

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

September 11th 2002 was probably the most 2000's thing to ever happen.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
How we all doing coming up on the 20th anniversary of 9/11, folks? :cheers:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

That is an unfortunate hairline for that age.

I remember a guy wearing a homestar runner shirt, and making a comment on it and he had no idea what i was talking about. He thought it was a band shirt.

I had a Trogdor shirt that I would get comments on. That shirt was the shirt that taught me a painful lession about cleaning with bleach.

:rip: Trogdor shirt

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Happy Landfill posted:

It's going to be a blowout

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's going to be a blowout

It'll bring the house down

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Happy Landfill posted:

I was at a convention, commenting on how weird it is that we all kinda... DIdn't notice what the day was until like dinner time.

Also, I dunno if it's just me and the stores I visited as a kid, but I feel like the most 2000s smell is Nag Champa in an over-airconditioned store like Newbury Comics or Spencers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Iron Crowned posted:

I had a Trogdor shirt that I would get comments on. That shirt was the shirt that taught me a painful lession about cleaning with bleach.

:rip: Trogdor shirt

Whenever I buy a shirt that's something obscure and nerdy, I try to find something that could just be passed off as a cool art print or band shirt. Why i want that synthwave looking warhammer shirt.

Oh that reminds me at this time I was working at HMV and a dude came in wearing a Something Awful shirt and when I did the "do you have stairs in your house" he looked at me like I had 3 dicks growing out of my face. I explained what i was saying and he said he found it at a thrift store and just thought the grenade was a cool logo.

Nothing more early 2000s than buying physical media.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

twistedmentat posted:

Whenever I buy a shirt that's something obscure and nerdy, I try to find something that could just be passed off as a cool art print or band shirt. Why i want that synthwave looking warhammer shirt.

Oh that reminds me at this time I was working at HMV and a dude came in wearing a Something Awful shirt and when I did the "do you have stairs in your house" he looked at me like I had 3 dicks growing out of my face. I explained what i was saying and he said he found it at a thrift store and just thought the grenade was a cool logo.

Nothing more early 2000s than buying physical media.

lmao this post

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Also, to dig in a few pages back to weird website talk, anyone remember Fat Chicks in Party Hats, or was that only a meme at my lovely little Massachusetts high school?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Neito posted:

Also, to dig in a few pages back to weird website talk, anyone remember Fat Chicks in Party Hats, or was that only a meme at my lovely little Massachusetts high school?

I remember that. Uglypeople.com was well. There was a real vein of cruelty running through the Internet about 2002. There still is, of course, but real gleeful bully poo poo back then.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

I remember that. Uglypeople.com was well. There was a real vein of cruelty running through the Internet about 2002. There still is, of course, but real gleeful bully poo poo back then.

IDK it's hard to describe. Modern-day internet meanness almost feels... More personal. Like I'm not excusing fatchicksinpartyhats or uglypeople or even some of the more modern web 2.0 incarnations like People of Walmart, but modern meanness feels like it has this deeply personal angle to it that makes it cut extra deep.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

Neito posted:

I remember that it existed, and browsing it a few times in the early '00s, but I don't remember anything about it.

edit: If the site was mean and cruel at its essence, then I guess it's just as well that I don't remember anything about it.

RobobTheGreat has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Sep 21, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We’ve come a long way from 2002 and while the internet is as mean as ever, you at least don’t have actual websites that exist only to mock people who can’t help it like UglyPeople.com. I mean I’m sure there’s something but not mainstream. People of Walmart is different because it’s pretty much people choosing to be that trashy.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

People of Walmart is different because it’s pretty much people choosing to be that trashy.

this is basically what we said about all of the groups that were being mocked back then too. The biggest difference is that the internet was a vast archipelago where things said one place about pictures grabbed from another place probably wouldn't be seen by the person *in* the pictures. There was still a fog of anonymity.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

We’ve come a long way from 2002 and while the internet is as mean as ever, you at least don’t have actual websites that exist only to mock people who can’t help it like UglyPeople.com. I mean I’m sure there’s something but not mainstream. People of Walmart is different because it’s pretty much people choosing to be that trashy.

This very forum had an Ugly People thread in GBS Circa about 2010 or so. It also turned in to an ugly/fat people thread by the end.

The Cipko Brothers were posted in there at one point or two.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Disco Pope posted:

I think it was an essence of being misanthropic that drove those sites. Almost like "yeah I'm a weirdo that dresses in black and plays Quake online, but look at these fat fucks". Like a lovely Holden Caufield ripoff ranting to the void.

Getting, like, pictures of normal people online back then was like a rarity so you took note when you saw a weird photo somewhere. That's kind of gone with the heavily filtered and curated social media feeds now.

Nowadays it's more of a "Get a load of this fuckhead, they're a bad person".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Nowadays it's more of a "Get a load of this fuckhead, they're a bad person".

Please turn on your monitor and be kinder to yourself :ohdear:.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Alright since Diablo 2 Resurrected came out got to post about early 2000s Diablo 2. Can't believe it has been 20 years since LoD released. Who remembers actually chatting in Diablo 2 and having fun joining random chat channels? I remember sex, wolf, and I believe lue being big chat channels for whatever reason. Also, in your profile where it asked "Sex" you had to put yes please.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please turn on your monitor and be kinder to yourself :ohdear:.
Lol if you think I self-identify as a person and not a lump of goo

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Every so often I read about someone who died in the Oughts, and i think of how disappointing it would be to leave off with that as humanity's peak.
Not that we're doing a whole lot better at the moment, but still.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Every so often I read about someone who died in the Oughts, and i think of how disappointing it would be to leave off with that as humanity's peak.
Not that we're doing a whole lot better at the moment, but still.

I'm really not trying to be an edgelord or anything, I'm being perfectly serious - things are not going to improve over conditions in the oughts for decades and decades and very possibly ever.

The oughts would've been a fine time to die.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

That was pretty dark. Im sorry, everyone.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I worked in a public library in the 2000s, and the number of patrons who would patiently wait their turn for an hour on the internet only to blow it on get-rich-quick sites and forums was something else.

I mean, that's a tendency that was and will always be true, but there was something so bumbling and unpolished about shysters online figuring out how to adapt their grifts as the "I have and use an email address" demographic expanded.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I worked in a public library in the 2000s, and the number of patrons who would patiently wait their turn for an hour on the internet only to blow it on get-rich-quick sites and forums was something else.

I mean, that's a tendency that was and will always be true, but there was something so bumbling and unpolished about shysters online figuring out how to adapt their grifts as the "I have and use an email address" demographic expanded.

Choosing that over an hour-long wank? Incredible. (A Welsh guy I know got banned from the library for punching some dude who was having a nice library wank on the computer next to him and his little daughter.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

MOMMY STYLE

M O M M Y S T Y L E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWo_Lsx7iU4

I remember the late-night informercials for this, but some lunatic uploaded the whole thing to YouTube, and thank god for that