Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

njsykora posted:

Finding a hardware issue and acknowledging it isn’t really pulling an NZXT, to get that they would need the replacements to also be badly made except for the good ones they send to the media.

Agreed. This kind of stuff happens frequently and responsible companies handle it like fractal is.

Pulling an NZXT is denying the issue, continuing to deny the issue in face of overwhelming media pressure, finally caving after a government intervention, then tricking everyone by sending a better product to media and first in line recalls, than to everyone else sending similar dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dumb thermal paste question, I have a sealed tube of the noctua H1 stuff from my last build December 2019, that's still good to use right? it's just been sitting in the motherboard box sealed up tight.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Attentive readers may have followed some of my experiences with buying the wrong case, then looking for an mATX board that supports my 2 year old CPU when I thought my existing board was knackered. Since changing my board and PSU have not fixed my GPU issue I was considering getting a new board, CPU and RAM if I can 100% validate the GPU is fine in a friend's system. Here's what I might get:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor (£274.98 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 RGB 91.19 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£124.89 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B560M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (£134.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£172.60 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£170.05 @ Senetic)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB SUPRIM X Video Card (£1623.48 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini ATX Mid Tower Case (£91.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£121.54 @ Infinite Computing)

It's only the CPU, motherboard and RAM I'd be purchasing - I've got the rest already. My main question is - is this an up to date CPU? Is there something more recent I should be looking at?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

99% of people in this thread are getting the Ryzen 5600x and a B550 board. The MSI MAG B550M would be a fine choice.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Dumb thermal paste question, I have a sealed tube of the noctua H1 stuff from my last build December 2019, that's still good to use right? it's just been sitting in the motherboard box sealed up tight.

Give it a shot, it should be okay but if it seems like it's seperated just toss it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's only the CPU, motherboard and RAM I'd be purchasing - I've got the rest already. My main question is - is this an up to date CPU? Is there something more recent I should be looking at?

check out CCL's ebay page, particularly when there's an ebay wide discount on. they do cpu+mobo+ram combos at very competitive discount, offer warranty as if it was a full system build.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Give it a shot, it should be okay but if it seems like it's seperated just toss it.

That's if it's less oily and clear liquid comes ouy, right?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah, or it's solidified at all. typically the compound is good for 5 or so years, so my expectation would be that the paste will be fine but you might need to reapply sooner.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CoolCab posted:

yeah, or it's solidified at all. typically the compound is good for 5 or so years, so my expectation would be that the paste will be fine but you might need to reapply sooner.

That's fair, I can go with what I have and re-pasting it if necessary, thanks!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

to answer this in more detail to echo someone above and a recent conversation ITT, have you thought about ryzen? a 5600X is going to be more performant i think, as will a 5800X, definitely on a price/performance basis and i think thermals too? intel is playing catchup to amd now which is like fuckin bizarro world. tons of people, myself included, went intel->ryzen, they're actually starting to become more of the default for enthusiasts at least. i'd probably recommend at least looking into some benchmarks and stuff, unless you have some specific intel related reason it's hard to recommend them outside of one specific 6 core which competes with last gen ryzen and real esoteric poo poo.

if you do go ryzen you want any B550 with the featureset you want or a nice one if you're overclocking or using a higher TDP chip like the 5800X. if you're loyal to a brand or whatever go nuts, there are a ton of good ones. then you would want 3600MHz CL16 ram ideally but anything over 3000MHz is fine. ryzen is MUCH more sensitive to ram timings and speed than intel is as i very vaguely understand it which is why people make the recommendation. again, ccl can find you very competitive combos.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I grabbed a low-ish priced 1TB SN550 the other day, is there any value in moving my Windows install over to it? My current boot disk is a 480GB Sandisk Plus SSD which doesn't seem to be slow by any means.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yes, but nowhere near as strong an effect. although unfortunately apparently they've done That SDD Manufacturer thing again and have radically downgraded the SN550 components without updating the SKU.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ah yeah I saw that. Kind of shady but it looks like it's only an issue if the cache gets saturated so hopefully won't impact my day to day use?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
So more thinking about my PC rebuild.

I had planned to ditch my old GPU in favour of the 5600g APU since the old card was from 2013. I decided to do some comparisons and it turns out my GTX 760 isn't all that bad compared to the 5600G.

Should I just get the 5600x instead and recycle the 760? The price for the 5600x vs G isn't much different and it's a better processor? I just need a placeholder GPU so I suppose the 760 will do just fine?

Edit - or i could proceed with the original plan and flog the old card on eBay for 70 quid.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 29, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The current AMD iGPUs are good but they're still iGPUs, I'd get the X and hold onto your 760.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Edit - NM had a look. There's nothing remotely worth downgrading to.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 29, 2021

here comes cask
Jul 7, 2003
What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming, photo/image editing, video editing.
What's your budget? No budget. I'm aiming for a bit of overkill without being a total crazy person.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I don't need to 100% max out everything. Just need it to look pretty and move smoothly.

My current rig is a 10+ year old ship of theseus, and I need to start over from scratch.

My GPU is a GTX 760, which isn't great, but it works. I will take what I can get when I find something to upgrade with sometime in the next year.

All I'm wondering about is if there's anything in my list that would be stupid to buy, or if there's something better/comparable I could swap out for.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($53.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($529.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($219.25 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($386.28 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($147.05 @ Vuugo)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that GPU will be your most limiting factor, most people replace those well before they replace the rest. the 5800x has very marginal gains over the 5600x and basically only for productivity and poo poo in games they’re basically the same. if you have something to do with the extra cores great if not you can save some money.

you would probably get net better game performance in a ton of titles if you just upgraded your GPU and stuck it into your very old pc. loving impossible to buy rn tho

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if you have some reason to get the ludicrous overkill motherboard go for it. you could buy one for half the price and get something almost exactly feature and performance identical, then bury that 250 bucks on a secondhand 1070 or something. similarly you are spending more on storage than is normally recommended - for game loads and poo poo even the new shittier WD SN500 will likely perform more than adequately. if you do a ton of file transfers or something there’s a better case for it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Are there any good guides for buying second hand parts? Apart from trusting the seller when they tell you it's not been run ragged and it definitely still works.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sure, np

CoolCab posted:

these prices are still way inflated over last year. uh, sec i have a used GPU buying guide somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2VkkEHDG5E

kind of technical but it goes into the common pitfalls. i can say personally with facebook market in particular there are for sure scammers running around so be a smart shopper. i've sold two (working!) GPUs this way. you want people who ideally are the first owners and who give an accurate description of the unit with lots of pictures. unfortunately facebook market can kind of attract casual sellers in a way that not even ebay manages so there's a lot of legitimate sellers who just throw up "£50 or offers collection only" type posts.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Is it worth upgrading an 8700k to a 5600x or 5800x? I don't think I'm CPU limited in any games but I've been having a lot of bluescreens lately with various error codes around chipset things like network and filesystem so a fresh CPU and motherboard is looking tempting.
I've got 32GB of DDR3200 and a cooler that'll convert to AM4 so it would just be motherboard and CPU, but I know AM4 is being retired soon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

here comes cask posted:

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming, photo/image editing, video editing.
What's your budget? No budget. I'm aiming for a bit of overkill without being a total crazy person.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I don't need to 100% max out everything. Just need it to look pretty and move smoothly.

My current rig is a 10+ year old ship of theseus, and I need to start over from scratch.

My GPU is a GTX 760, which isn't great, but it works. I will take what I can get when I find something to upgrade with sometime in the next year.

All I'm wondering about is if there's anything in my list that would be stupid to buy, or if there's something better/comparable I could swap out for.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($498.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($53.05 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($529.00 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($219.25 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($386.28 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($189.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($147.05 @ Vuugo)
Why are you buying a $500 motherboard?

here comes cask
Jul 7, 2003

CoolCab posted:

if you have some reason to get the ludicrous overkill motherboard go for it. you could buy one for half the price and get something almost exactly feature and performance identical, then bury that 250 bucks on a secondhand 1070 or something. similarly you are spending more on storage than is normally recommended - for game loads and poo poo even the new shittier WD SN500 will likely perform more than adequately. if you do a ton of file transfers or something there’s a better case for it.

PittTheElder posted:

Why are you buying a $500 motherboard?

I'd really prefer to spend less on a just-as-good motherboard, I put the ludicrous overkill motherboard on the list as a starting point to work back from. The options are a little overwhelming, so I would love suggestions for something that is going to do the same work for less money. Thanks! :tipshat:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

here comes cask posted:

I'd really prefer to spend less on a just-as-good motherboard, I put the ludicrous overkill motherboard on the list as a starting point to work back from. The options are a little overwhelming, so I would love suggestions for something that is going to do the same work for less money. Thanks! :tipshat:

Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.50 @ Vuugo)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
aye, fair enough I figured it was that or it had some feature you needed. for a 5600x any B550 will work - tons of different manufacturers make them, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. for a 5800x you might want to pick a slightly more upmarket version so the components can handle the extra power draw.

are there specific mobo features you need? wifi, Bluetooth, fancy audio or high speed networking, quality of life features like bios flashback and poo poo? any of that important to you

here comes cask
Jul 7, 2003

Thank you!

CoolCab posted:

aye, fair enough I figured it was that or it had some feature you needed. for a 5600x any B550 will work - tons of different manufacturers make them, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc. for a 5800x you might want to pick a slightly more upmarket version so the components can handle the extra power draw.

are there specific mobo features you need? wifi, Bluetooth, fancy audio or high speed networking, quality of life features like bios flashback and poo poo? any of that important to you

The only ones I need are wireless and bluetooth. I would prefer fancy audio. Everything else would be nice, but not critical.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, that one ain’t got wifi, but otherwise it’s totally fine. they might do a wifi version even. I think the MSI Tomahawk line is well considered, the TUF Gaming line is well considered, I like my bare bones ASUS Prime M A board - even a bottom of the stack part like that is totally fine.

if it was me I’d go looking for whatever is on promo and check back to confirm it’s OK. Any B550 is fine, B570s are also okay but are more expensive and have an annoying little chipset fan.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
So like most people I’ve been having zero luck trying to get a video card so settled on a prebuilt. I was originally going to get a Dell XPS 8940 with the rtx 3060 ti and an i7-11700. After waiting 2 weeks and watching so many videos I was having some apprehension about buying it (I had ordered a noctua replacement cpu cooler) and “luckily” it’s now on back order for at least a month so I’m going to cancel.

I’m looking to buy this one instead:

https://www.newegg.ca/skytech-st-chronosb-0250-ne/p/N82E16883289134

Any red flags? Gamers nexus actually said the sky tech one they reviewed wasn’t a complete disaster and I’m just missing having a computer.

Located in Canada so $2200 here is about $1,750 USD.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

here comes cask posted:

Thank you!

The only ones I need are wireless and bluetooth. I would prefer fancy audio. Everything else would be nice, but not critical.

If you're running a 5800x at stock settings and really just want the connectivity, then I'd go with this:
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)

The VRM isn't as robust as the one I linked previously but this will give you more space in your budget for other stuff you might care about, like good headphones/speakers and a DAC.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Yeep posted:

Is it worth upgrading an 8700k to a 5600x or 5800x? I don't think I'm CPU limited in any games but I've been having a lot of bluescreens lately with various error codes around chipset things like network and filesystem so a fresh CPU and motherboard is looking tempting.
I've got 32GB of DDR3200 and a cooler that'll convert to AM4 so it would just be motherboard and CPU, but I know AM4 is being retired soon.

I wouldn’t expect a CPU to cause file system related blue screens. There’s some significant troubleshooting you should be doing prior to just dumping money into a new CPU.

If you’re at 1080p there will be a difference. If you’re above 1080p you won’t really notice. If you’re not CPU bound ever it’s for sure better to wait.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Stormgale posted:

That's fair, I can go with what I have and re-pasting it if necessary, thanks!

New CPU installed, 5800x which has helped a lot now FFXIV is far more busy and it's seemingly running about as well as other 5800's (65-75 in games with PBO on +200mhz and a -5 curve)

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I wouldn’t expect a CPU to cause file system related blue screens. There’s some significant troubleshooting you should be doing prior to just dumping money into a new CPU.

If you’re at 1080p there will be a difference. If you’re above 1080p you won’t really notice. If you’re not CPU bound ever it’s for sure better to wait.

I'm on a 38" ultrawide so 3840x1600@75hz. GPU was a Radeon VII until that broke, hopefully my replacement 6700xt is arriving next week.

I'm thinking it's probably a motherboard issue more than CPU. I've done a 10 hour memtest without issue so I don't think it's that. I'm currently trying a clean install of Windows on a brand new (bigger, faster) SSD and it's been 6 hours now without a crash but there's nothing installed so it could just be less stress on the system but I've never managed to reproduce any of the crashes with stress test software and sometimes they were happening on the Windows recovery screen.
I should probably stick to obsessively refreshing the nVidia store for a 3080 FE instead of trying to spend money on something less useful.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mursh posted:

So like most people I’ve been having zero luck trying to get a video card so settled on a prebuilt. I was originally going to get a Dell XPS 8940 with the rtx 3060 ti and an i7-11700. After waiting 2 weeks and watching so many videos I was having some apprehension about buying it (I had ordered a noctua replacement cpu cooler) and “luckily” it’s now on back order for at least a month so I’m going to cancel.

I’m looking to buy this one instead:

https://www.newegg.ca/skytech-st-chronosb-0250-ne/p/N82E16883289134

Any red flags? Gamers nexus actually said the sky tech one they reviewed wasn’t a complete disaster and I’m just missing having a computer.

Located in Canada so $2200 here is about $1,750 USD.

this is entirely 100% from the pictures and listed components generally rather than any comment on the specific model of the part btw

the chip and card are quite good. maybe not perfectly optimal, this would be what i would recommend to, say, someone on a budget who had a productivity role (say, video editing) for those extra cores, instead of a 5600X which would be a little better for gaming. 3070 is a great fuckin card. it's not explicitly dual channel as far as i can see (which is to say, 2 sticks of ram instead of 1, which allows the CPU to assign different tasks to different sticks and generally perform much better) and i can't tell from the picture, you want dual channel so you might need to buy another stick or kit. super annoyingly most systems just list the total capacity instead of if it's 2x8 or 1x16. the listing says it might not be the GPU shown so that's kind of suboptimal.

airflow looks OK, mesh isn't optimal but four OK fans should be enough, particularly with the stock cooler. you might want to replace the cooler.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

CoolCab posted:

this is entirely 100% from the pictures and listed components generally rather than any comment on the specific model of the part btw

the chip and card are quite good. maybe not perfectly optimal, this would be what i would recommend to, say, someone on a budget who had a productivity role (say, video editing) for those extra cores, instead of a 5600X which would be a little better for gaming. 3070 is a great fuckin card. it's not explicitly dual channel as far as i can see (which is to say, 2 sticks of ram instead of 1, which allows the CPU to assign different tasks to different sticks and generally perform much better) and i can't tell from the picture, you want dual channel so you might need to buy another stick or kit. super annoyingly most systems just list the total capacity instead of if it's 2x8 or 1x16. the listing says it might not be the GPU shown so that's kind of suboptimal.

airflow looks OK, mesh isn't optimal but four OK fans should be enough, particularly with the stock cooler. you might want to replace the cooler.

Ok thanks for the info! I’ll see how it ends up going and if it still runs super hot I’ll look into a cooler replacement later on. I was a bit worried about the AMD gpu being not the best but at this point I’m running into a take what you can get and be happy with it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mursh posted:

Ok thanks for the info! I’ll see how it ends up going and if it still runs super hot I’ll look into a cooler replacement later on. I was a bit worried about the AMD gpu being not the best but at this point I’m running into a take what you can get and be happy with it.

uh? it's an AMD cpu, it's an Nvidia GPU unless you linked the wrong one?

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

CoolCab posted:

uh? it's an AMD cpu, it's an Nvidia GPU unless you linked the wrong one?

Sorry meant the cpu not gpu! I’m very happy with the 3070 but I know much less about cpus nowadays, even less about AMD.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mursh posted:

Sorry meant the cpu not gpu! I’m very happy with the 3070 but I know much less about cpus nowadays, even less about AMD.

nah, you're good. like myself, most of the thread and enthusiast market you'll be going intel->ryzen cause they finally started to compete and win.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

CoolCab posted:

nah, you're good. like myself, most of the thread and enthusiast market you'll be going intel->ryzen cause they finally started to compete and win.

Gotcha well it’s on order now! Can’t wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

Throwing file system errors is pretty likely to be SSD/actual file system related.

Chipset errors could be down to file system being hosed and loving with the chipset driver. My money would be the fresh install solves it. Or you had a bad driver or software clash.