Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

It's kinda crazy to think we're already only a couple weeks away from the next basho. Time flies fast, and I'll be bombing out of fantasy again before I know it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

One of the all time greats has retired. The man. The myth. The legend.

Shonanzakura (formerly Hattorizakura). He retires after six years, finishing with a 3-238 record. His streak of 104 consecutive losses will live forever.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202108250000576.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Aww, that's sad. Hope he's got something lined up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Teddybear posted:

Shonanzakura (formerly Hattorizakura). He retires after six years, finishing with a 3-238 record. His streak of 104 consecutive losses will live forever.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202108250000576.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

Honestly super bummed to hear this, but I hope he is able to go on to live a nice life post sumo. But of course now I also need to update the sumo storylines again.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

:smith: dang, I really thought he might have had a chance at a win (just one) next basho, too...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think if he held on his losing streak was getting so sad that he could be a counter culture icon of some sort. all the best to him.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Pour one out for a real one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY0apLxFzMA

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

At 23, he’s still young enough to start a decent career or get an education if he wants. Hopefully his “fame” translates to some fan support and some post-sumo hookups to get him started in the real world.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I would personally send Shonanzakura 50 bucks right now if there were any way to do it. He deserves to be able to buy a round for some buddies.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Well poo poo...

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1431526204616683523?s=20

Good news is, everyone should be well over two weeks past their 2nd shot.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh no :(

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Aw man hope it doesn't get serious for him. Wishing him well for what it's worth.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Obviously Shodai dosed him with the Rona on Day 1 of combo practice then disappeared with an "injury" while Ichinojo was there for all four days. The master technician strikes again!

More good news through! https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2021/08/d12eb96b4062-sumo-mongolian-ichinojo-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

quote:

The wrestlers who took part in the joint training sessions will be tested again, according to the JSA's director of communications, sumo elder Shibatayama.

He said Ichinojo could still make the Autumn Grand Sumo Tournament starting Sept. 12 at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan, where the former sekiwake is expected to return to three "sanyaku" ranks below yokozuna after posting a 10-5 record as a No. 2 maegashira.

"If his condition remains as it is, there's plenty of time," Shibatayama said.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope he's okay. I wish they were thinking more of 'hey Ichinojo, don't loving worry about September' instead of trying to assure everyone he'll be back and put pressure towards doing it.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Actual good news, the banzuke is here!

https://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Why is Asanoyama listed

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lid posted:

Why is Asanoyama listed

He hasn't been kicked out of sumo, he'll still occupy a spot on the banzuke until you either retire or fall out the bottom. For the bashos while he's suspended, he'll be treated as if he went 0-0-15 (or 0-0-7) for ranking purposes. They don't just immediately drop him down to the rank where he'll eventually end up (somewhere in mid-sandanme probably?).

Pakled fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 29, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, Ryuden is listed, but I think he's still suspended. But Abi has worked his way up to high juryo!

How did Akiseyama wind up way down in makushita? Was he injured (that badly)? I honestly don't remember.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, Ryuden is listed, but I think he's still suspended. But Abi has worked his way up to high juryo!

How did Akiseyama wind up way down in makushita? Was he injured (that badly)? I honestly don't remember.

He broke his jaw in May. He was M13 and 1-7 then, so he dropped to Juryo 7 for the last tournament, which he missed, and he's down to high Makushita now.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teddybear posted:

He broke his jaw in May. He was M13 and 1-7 then, so he dropped to Juryo 7 for the last tournament, which he missed, and he's down to high Makushita now.
Ouch. That does sound vaguely familiar, now that you mention it. :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Teddybear posted:

poor guy. that was completely off my radar

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

He toughed out that broken jaw until it was exactly too late to trade him once he went kyujo.

:mad:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean it DOES stink, but he’s skilled enough that he should be able to handle makushita fairly competently and make his way back to Juryo. Sucks to get demoted for a while but should only be temporary. He may not blaze back going 7-0 but he’ll back back soon IMO.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Khizan posted:

He toughed out that broken jaw until it was exactly too late to trade him once he went kyujo.

:mad:

lol pro move

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I mean it DOES stink, but he’s skilled enough that he should be able to handle makushita fairly competently and make his way back to Juryo. Sucks to get demoted for a while but should only be temporary. He may not blaze back going 7-0 but he’ll back back soon IMO.

He just battled for so long to get back to sekitori, it was really inspiring. Hopefully his supporters association is taking care of him right now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Time to create my scouting report ahead of the tournament... Gotta keep my winning streak alive on the Goonzuke!!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://t.co/vPGEkOBrkF?amp=1

here is a zoomable and good quality link to the calligraphic traditional banzuke.

can someone well versed in sumo and japanese tell me what the text is in between a rikishi's rank and their shikona? like in shodai's case in between 大関 (ozeki) +正代(shoudai) is ???本

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 31, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Thauros posted:

https://t.co/vPGEkOBrkF?amp=1

here is a zoomable and good quality link to the handwritten traditional banzuke.

can someone well versed in sumo and japanese tell me what the text is in between a rikishi's rank and their shikona? like in shodai's case in between 大関 (ozeki) +正代(shoudai) is ???本

Could someone please tell John Gunning about the wonders of PNG? That picture has the potential to so good.

Anyway it's their home prefecture, so for Shodai it's 熊本, you can find it on sumodb if you switch to the Japanese after navigating to the guy you want to see (button at the top right)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Brut posted:

Could someone please tell John Gunning about the wonders of PNG? That picture has the potential to so good.

Anyway it's their home prefecture, so for Shodai it's 熊本, you can find it on sumodb if you switch to the Japanese after navigating to the guy you want to see (button at the top right)

ah, that explains why it looked like katakana for hakuho, tho i wasn't making it out late at night with the fancy script

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lid posted:

Why is Asanoyama listed

Is a participant but is not allowed to participate. 0-0-15 all the way until he's allowed back after his year-long ban. Is likely to be in sandanme or jonidan by the time he's back in the dohyo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pakled posted:

He hasn't been kicked out of sumo, he'll still occupy a spot on the banzuke until you either retire or fall out the bottom. For the bashos while he's suspended, he'll be treated as if he went 0-0-15 (or 0-0-7) for ranking purposes. They don't just immediately drop him down to the rank where he'll eventually end up (somewhere in mid-sandanme probably?).

Interestingly, there’s actually a blank J9w spot on the banzuke where Takagenji should have been. Normally, even if you retire after the banzuke is made, you’ll still be on the list like Shonanzakura is still on the bottom of the banzuke, but they straight up blanked out Takagenji’s spot because of the way he got kicked out.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The lower Maegashira ranks are looking spicy. Gonna win this one off the back of an M11 Endo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Do we know if the giant dude from hakuhos stable gonna be in juryo this time round?
Hokuseiho?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yep, he's in there

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fluffdaddy posted:

The lower Maegashira ranks are looking spicy. Gonna win this one off the back of an M11 Endo

The problem with this plan is M11 is too low to fight the Yoks and Sanyaku so there are no giants to slay. He'll be lucky to stitch together a kk against inferior opponents.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Beeswax posted:

Yep, he's in there

Hell yeah.

Aw man I've just realised he can't fight enho though afaik

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hell yeah.

Aw man I've just realised he can't fight enho though afaik

Yeah, they're in the same stable so they'd only fight if they made it to playoffs.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

Interestingly, there’s actually a blank J9w spot on the banzuke where Takagenji should have been. Normally, even if you retire after the banzuke is made, you’ll still be on the list like Shonanzakura is still on the bottom of the banzuke, but they straight up blanked out Takagenji’s spot because of the way he got kicked out.

"No man, no problem" - JSA Elders

Let's remember the good times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk&t=2s

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

"No man, no problem" - JSA Elders

Let's remember the good times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk&t=2s

One of my unironic regrets is that I never managed to catch Hattorizakura live. He always started so loving early!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

bartolimu posted:

The problem with this plan is M11 is too low to fight the Yoks and Sanyaku so there are no giants to slay. He'll be lucky to stitch together a kk against inferior opponents.

he will inexplicably get 11 wins and win a technique prize