Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just how many lunatics are there in this country

About 33% are pure strain lunatics at this point I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Milo and POTUS posted:

27%

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/april-2011/the-alan-keyes-constant/

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bad news, it was lunatics from the beginning.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nearly 330 million

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wrong thread

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 28, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

Reminder that structural wealthbis broken and since we’ll never get a 95% transfer tax on estates, the sooner some of these boomers bequeath their stuff to zoomers and such, the better.

It won't matter. If you're not a failchild of a Forbes lister, engineered inflation will wipe out any semblance of inheritance. Your name has to be "in/on the books" to accrue wealth and/or remain wealthy in this country.

Even multi-millionaire lottery winners who haven't pissed it all away are in for a rude awakening in that respect.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
just a reminder that the ultra-rich have already started eating the rich as shown in the Archegos margin call

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have the Marines ever had a recruiting problem…even during the surge?

That doesn’t give you a number, but perhaps it’s a starting point. lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It won't matter. If you're not a failchild of a Forbes lister, engineered inflation will wipe out any semblance of inheritance. Your name has to be "in/on the books" to accrue wealth and/or remain wealthy in this country.

Even multi-millionaire lottery winners who haven't pissed it all away are in for a rude awakening in that respect.

Eh, I know becoming ultra-rich is exceptionally hard, but if someone is a multi-millionaire, it is pretty easy to own a modest home, have funds in safe(er) investment accounts, and still have health insurance that’s about as good as it gets in the USA. If they want to ball outrageous for 50 years or even keep up with the joneses next door who make median wages but also save zero for retirement, sure, 2-3 million won’t do that for you.

Don’t fall for the HENRY poo poo wealthy people sell.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Remember that movie “Blank Check” where the kid got a million dollars and proceeded to buy a castle and everything inside of it he could ever want?

I think about that movie from time to time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In brewster's millions he has to spend $30m in 30 days and have nothing to show for it to win.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What are you talking about that isn't how inflation works at all. Net worth isn't stored as US dollars, its stored as capital and merely measured using dollars.

Just because you don't like capitalism doesn't mean you should be willfully ignorant of how the economy functions

PookBear fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 28, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

In brewster's millions he has to spend $30m in 30 days and have nothing to show for it to win.

I didn't know they already made a movie about NFT's, that was pretty quick.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PookBear posted:

What are you talking about that isn't how inflation works at all. Net worth isn't stored as US dollars, its stored as capital and merely measured using dollars.

Just because you don't like capitalism doesn't mean you should be willfully ignorant of how the economy functions

Yeah, and what I'm saying is that how many dollars you have in the bank isn't going to matter when capitalism fails and overt neo-feudalism takes its place, the same how a piece of gold didn't make a serf a Lord way back when.

Just because you might have absolute faith in the free market economy doesn't mean you should dismiss the fact that the ultra-wealthy aren't trying to drown the rats in the bilge of the sinking ship in the hopes their bloated corpses will keep the boat afloat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, and what I'm saying is that how many dollars you have in the bank isn't going to matter when capitalism fails and overt neo-feudalism takes its place, the same how a piece of gold didn't make a serf a Lord way back when.

What year do you think government-backed securities fail? If you really and truly think fiat currency isn't worth anything anymore and that people saving money to pay for housing, food, etc, is a stupid undertaking, then it means your advice is going to be off-base for almost everyone who isn't already building a militant co-operative or signing up for Neo-Feudal Corp Security Company.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The real estate that is being hoovered up by giant hedge funds will never again be for sale at any price because they are now permanently financialized as income generating assets instead of inventory. Houses are geese instead of eggs now.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 28, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

What year do you think government-backed securities fail? If you really and truly think fiat currency isn't worth anything anymore and that people saving money to pay for housing, food, etc, is a stupid undertaking, then it means your advice is going to be off-base for almost everyone who isn't already building a militant co-operative or signing up for Neo-Feudal Corp Security Company.

Oh, fiat currency's worth as much as it needs to be for as long as it needs to be. As for "what year," I haven't a clue, but I'm going by land acquisitions as IGA just said, and the rising consumer price indices. We're becoming a society where ownership of *anything* substantive or wealth-building is becoming increasingly rare.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 28, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Remember that movie “Blank Check” where the kid got a million dollars and proceeded to buy a castle and everything inside of it he could ever want?

I think about that movie from time to time.

I can’t get past the 30-something FBI agent kissing the nine year old boy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, fiat currency's worth as much as it needs to be for as long as it needs to be.

What does that mean?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

My take away from that movie was dude didn't have a good enough imagination. You could probably rent out various theme parks for the entire day at something like 10 million a day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

just a reminder that the ultra-rich have already started eating the rich as shown in the Archegos margin call

it's ultra sick how people with histories of SEC violations and eating fines are punished by just going and running a family shop where they're still capable of loving over a shitload of regular people by going full tilt on leverage. if only RobinHood had been able to liquidate more Gamestop positions without the account owners having any say maybe this could have been prevented

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Why didn’t Brewster pay the eagles 30 mil to fly to Mordor?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I can’t get past the 30-something FBI agent kissing the nine year old boy.

Thanks. I had forgotten that detail but now have to remember it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sometimes FBI agents are pedophiles. That movie had some real messages of warning in there.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

it's ultra sick how people with histories of SEC violations and eating fines are punished by just going and running a family shop where they're still capable of loving over a shitload of regular people by going full tilt on leverage. if only RobinHood had been able to liquidate more Gamestop positions without the account owners having any say maybe this could have been prevented

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

What does that mean?

It means that billionaires don't need hard currency to be safe and secure in a plutocracy. All the money you and I have in our pockets and bank accounts is a promise that can be easily broken.

When wealth inequality has gotten as bad as it is now, the concept of "money" becomes increasingly nebulous.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just because you might have absolute faith in the free market economy doesn't mean you should dismiss the fact that the ultra-wealthy aren't trying to drown the rats in the bilge of the sinking ship in the hopes their bloated corpses will keep the boat afloat.

How exactly do you think wealthy people store their value.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

PookBear posted:

In capital assets, not liquid. Then they get their banker buddies to let them borrow against that value when they do need cash.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

PookBear posted:

Assets. Relative to their worth, wealthy people are cash poor.

They have a lot of cash on hand probably, but it’s a significantly less percentage of their overall worth when compared to you and me.

The dollar bill could disappear tomorrow and the wealthy will still own everything.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PookBear posted:

Historically, land?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

The dollar bill could disappear tomorrow and the wealthy will still own everything.

^^^^^

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If the big breakthrough is that it turns out that putting cash bills under your bed or in a 0.5% savings account while inflation runs its course, well… that is not revolutionary news.

Boring-rear end middle class and wealthy but not mega-rich people have been putting their money into assets, real and otherwise, forever.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'm old enough to remember the markets repeatedly crashing and the rich coming out better every single time but by all means keep pretending it's a retirement plan

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

Until their suddenly-unpaid security forces stop defending them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Boring-rear end middle class and wealthy but not mega-rich people have been putting their money into assets, real and otherwise, forever.

Except that's not going to be enough to ensure the "boring-rear end middle class and wealthy but not mega-rich" people will still have anything of value in 10-20+ years. The middle class' safety net is being cut out from under them while they dangle from the trapeze bar, thankful that they're still above everyone on the ground.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If only there were other ways to compensate people in the absence of money. :thunk:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A different currency would just take over. And since the lower classes don’t own anything and the middle class is disappearing, the currency would still be decided on and ran by the wealthy and they’d just pay their security forces with that.

Are you gonna tell the people who control all the food what you’ll be using as currency? Probably not.

This is assuming there isn’t a revolutionary uprising by the lower castes, which I don’t even think society is capable of at this point.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just watch Mr. Robot

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

PookBear posted:

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.

The SEC isn't doing enough to protect brave hedge fund and private equity managers from the menace of the individual investor

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Can we stop with all this damned doomer posting? The whole "only literal monsters" derail was bad enough but if this is going to become a regular thing then I'd prefer to just nip this in the bud right now.

The thread's toxic enough just from accurately posting the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

(redacted)