Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AEW absolutely wanted Chris Bey and Swerve but it didn't seem like either one wanted to be on AEW. They picked up Lio Rush, and he retired immediately. Scorpio hasn't worked out. I get the complaint but like, it isn't for lack of trying. A ton of great black wrestlers are on WWE, maybe go complain how they have wasted and hosed over every single one as of late.

A talking coyote posted:

I think I’d take more of those tweets seriously if they didn’t go out of their way to pretend other minorities didn’t exist. Wanting more representation and following up with “why is aew so white?!” completely ignores the heavy Latin influence in the company. More black representation would be great and should be something they work on, but acting like the rest of us don’t exist or matter sucks rear end. :miedo:

100% this, AEW got a ton of lucha/Brazilian/Mexican wrestlers up front and they've been pushed really well. A lot of joshis have been featured heavily as well. Honestly, AEW lost the sweepstakes on a lot of talented black wrestlers to WWE, and the ones who are coming up right now from Dark + Lee Johnson, Anthony Ogogo are a while away from being top guys. They're trying to make stuff happen, it hasn't worked out, idk what else they could do. WWE as of the last few years has treated black talent infinitely worse given how they pull the rug out but I'm guessing the guy tweeting this poo poo will still watch them because his brain is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

Why was Starks kicking around in NWA anyway?

Dude's got everything, I'm surprised he wasn't locked in somewhere else before AEW came calling.

I saw him wrestle in DDT for the tag titles once but I forgot who is partner was

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I keep seeing people say AEW signed Lio Rush but I'm pretty sure that's not true? He worked the one show but it was as a New Japan guy, just like KENTA or Kojjma

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I completely agree that AEW has a solid record of developing younger/less experienced/newer black stars in the lower card/organic way they generally seem to prefer doing it. Hobbs, Starks, PP, Martin and his brother, Jade, Velvet, Acclaimed, Ogongo, etc. There doesn't seem to be a bias there at all and it does seem like AEW is working towards a diverse roster of the future.

At the same time I can appreciate people frustrated that there hasn't been a breakout top player in two years in the same way that I can appreciate people who are frustrated the women's division hasn't had sustained time/focus improvements in that time. Patience runs out. And I don't think I can really get behind this idea that AEW tried a major push with Scorpio Sky and it didn't work. Did I miss that? Wasn't it like a bunch of Dark wins and then a two week program with Cody he lost? And then a feud with Spears that was mostly on Dark? Am I forgetting something? I think that's probably a big part of the conflict, if that's deemed a big enough "they tried" effort.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

I keep seeing people say AEW signed Lio Rush but I'm pretty sure that's not true? He worked the one show but it was as a New Japan guy, just like KENTA or Kojjma

He was set to work more dates with them but he got injured in the CBR and retired before they could do anything more with him

STAC Goat posted:

And I don't think I can really get behind this idea that AEW tried a major push with Scorpio Sky and it didn't work

Maybe not a major push but whatever push they did give him was already more than enough

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

No, he was appearing as a new AEW guy, not a forbidden door talent. This is why AEW put out a statement straight away saying thanks and no hard feelings, since the contract fell through immediately since he said he was done.

NJPW only comes into it because he was also contracted to them for a few more matches, which he said he would still honour once he healed up. They’d ok’d him signing with AEW at the same time, that made the news too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rarity posted:

Maybe not a major push but whatever push they did give him was already more than enough

Its totally cool to just not like the guy, but like... that shouldn't be used as an example of "they tried" if it wasn't much. And that can probably add to the frustration of people who want to see them try if it keeps coming up feeling like a bad faith argument.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rarity posted:

MotY aren't getting their hands on the tag belts dude, like what

I'm sorry I thought this was the Bad Takes thread!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I saw him wrestle in DDT for the tag titles once but I forgot who is partner was

That was "Psycho" Mike Rollins.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coconono posted:

Also Cody hyped up Bey to an Impact payday and very definitely is on AEW's radar when he comes available.

Swerve I think took an NXT deal because of he wants to be a Superstar.

And I'm not familiar with Casanova at all I think? I know I watched a few shows he was on.

realtalk I hope Trish Adora gets picked up by AEW.

i can personally speak to the swerve thing, he was offered a deal but wwe's offer was higher salary and he had a bad taste in his mouth from going with another wrestling startup after his experiences with Lucha Underground.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i can personally speak to the swerve thing, he was offered a deal but wwe's offer was higher salary and he had a bad taste in his mouth from going with another wrestling startup after his experiences with Lucha Underground.

This is very Sean Connery in league of extraordinary gentlemen after passing on the matrix and lord of the rings vibes

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lid posted:

This is very Sean Connery in league of extraordinary gentlemen after passing on the matrix and lord of the rings vibes

LMAO owned

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lid posted:

I can understand passing on the Matrix but why on earth did he pass on Lord of the Rings?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Vandar posted:

I can understand passing on the Matrix but why on earth did he pass on Lord of the Rings?

He didn't get the script, same reason as The Matrix - remember fantasy was a ghetto pre-LOTR and nothing of its scale existed in the 90s when it was filmed. So the next time he got a script he didn't understand he accepted after those two made billions and thus League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

a lot of people thought Lord of the Rings was unadaptable and he had had his fill of little people in Darby O'Gill and the them

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He heard Gandalf didn’t smack Galadriel around and tossed the script in the trash

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/1431660160662052865

Wow, it's almost like you're trying to give people what they want so they'll spend money on what you're trying to give them. 🙄

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/1431660160662052865

Wow, it's almost like you're trying to give people what they want so they'll spend money on what you're trying to give them. 🙄

That's not fair, you have to poo poo on your fanbase for a year for investing in things before giving them the barest bit of joy. If you do more than that it's cheating

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Karma Tornado posted:

a lot of people thought Lord of the Rings was unadaptable and he had had his fill of little people in Darby O'Gill and the them

Maybe his experiences with fantasy taught him that they'd screw up his casting, like how the Highlander had a Frenchman playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe his experiences with fantasy taught him that they'd screw up his casting, like how the Highlander had a Frenchman playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard.

No hes an Egyptian who just happens to dress as a Spaniard.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally cool to just not like the guy, but like... that shouldn't be used as an example of "they tried" if it wasn't much. And that can probably add to the frustration of people who want to see them try if it keeps coming up feeling like a bad faith argument.

they put sky in a darby allin/dante martin/jungle boy type spot vs jericho in the early dynamite days and people were just not into the follow up build of him.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Remember when Scorpio Sky Bugs Bunny'd Chris Jericho into giving him a title match on the day before Thanksgiving?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Scorpio Sky was the first guy to pin Jericho in the company and he got a title shot on TV.

It did 663k and a .26.

It was a major push. And it failed.

karmicknight posted:

Remember when Scorpio Sky Bugs Bunny'd Chris Jericho into giving him a title match on the day before Thanksgiving?

This however was a great segment and the second best Bugs Bunnying into a title match, just behind Goto and Ibushi.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm glad you also explained why people don't remember that very good segment before you remembered it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coconono posted:

realtalk I hope Trish Adora gets picked up by AEW.
Hell yeah. Trish has "star" written all over her.

I'd also really like to see O'Shay Edwards in AEW, but he seems happy in ROH for now.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Gonna die laughing when Excalibur calls the Lariat Tubman

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

cant believe cm punk is using his massive following to cyberbully innocent twitter trolls

also it's always the premier league weirdos

also since it was deleted:

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 28, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

cant believe cm punk is using his massive following to cyberbully innocent twitter trolls

also it's always the premier league weirdos

also since it was deleted:

This is definitely someone who has never been to a TV taping. Sending people home happy is a big part of the show.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

How dare they do something nice for the folks who paid money explicitly to see them! They should be catering to me who got the TNT package so I could watch the Leverage revival!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

This is definitely someone who has never been to a TV taping. Sending people home happy is a big part of the show.

The ace promo to cap off a show is classic pro wrestling to send the crowd home happy having heard from their hero. At the first indie show I went to it was conducted by Eddie Kingston himself and was great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I went to a RAW taping years (well, decades now) ago, and the story was Austin was off the show for some reason ("injury", ban, can't really remember), but after the show was over, he came out anyway and stunned all the heels.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A few weeks ago I clipped the Kenny Omega Boo-urns bit off Dynamite and put it on YouTube because I like putting up clips of things I might want to look at later.

All of a sudden, a few days ago, the clip blew up. It went from a few hundred views to over 20k in days, and while previously the comments were just largely dudes talking about how much they like Kenny Omega's weird gimmick or making the "I was saying nooo-no-no-no" joke, suddenly there was an influx of SUPER ANGRY WWE fans.

All of a sudden I've had to block dozens of comments and people because some assholes keep spamming the same dumb, tired "lol u virgin cuck u like a clown" comments over and over again.

It honestly feels like it says something about these guys that "virgin" is their go-to insult, almost like that was something they were super insecure about in their own selves...

I suddenly have a lot more sympathy for the people who have to moderate AEW's own social media channels.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

SaberToothedPie posted:

they put sky in a darby allin/dante martin/jungle boy type spot vs jericho in the early dynamite days and people were just not into the follow up build of him.

I do feel like they've been pretty half-hearted with Sky ever since he left SCU. Like, he had a feud with Shawn Spears ... on Dark only, and it got forgotten for weeks at a time, and it was never really blown off (Sky threw Spears through the wall of Britt Baker's Waiting Room, and that was it). He won the "Face of the Revolution" ladder match, and all it got him was a big fake gold ring. And the Men of the Year seems to have benefited Ethan Page more than Sky, if only because Page is so much more natural as a heel. It is a bit frustrating for me because I like Sky and it constantly feels like he's just on the verge of catching on, and never does.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

karmicknight posted:

The ace promo to cap off a show is classic pro wrestling to send the crowd home happy having heard from their hero. At the first indie show I went to it was conducted by Eddie Kingston himself and was great.

I remember during Best Of Super Jrs 2019 when Rocky beat El Phantasmo in the main event at Korakuen Hall, and it was the first time he'd ever won in the main event at Korakuen, so the first time he got to do the go-home and he was so emotional.

(the match was also a stone cold classic)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Selachian posted:

I do feel like they've been pretty half-hearted with Sky ever since he left SCU. Like, he had a feud with Shawn Spears ... on Dark only, and it got forgotten for weeks at a time, and it was never really blown off (Sky threw Spears through the wall of Britt Baker's Waiting Room, and that was it). He won the "Face of the Revolution" ladder match, and all it got him was a big fake gold ring. And the Men of the Year seems to have benefited Ethan Page more than Sky, if only because Page is so much more natural as a heel. It is a bit frustrating for me because I like Sky and it constantly feels like he's just on the verge of catching on, and never does.

It's cause Scorp has zero charisma and his in-ring ability which looked good in 2019 looked less and less impressive when they kept on bringing in talent that's better than him and now he's been surpassed. Like just look at his feud with Spears where Spears dragged him down to his level and compare that to Sammy's feud with Spears where he raised Spears up to his. Even if you trace back to the BTE Worst Town I've Ever Been In skits that originally got SCU over in the pre-AEW all Scorp did in those was say the catchphrase. He was always riding the coattails of Frankie's brilliant comedy skills

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Again, "Scorpio Sky isn't good enough to warrant a serious attempt to make him a star" is an opinion totally separate from "they tried to seriously push Scorpio Sky and make him a star and it failed." I disagree with the former but its hardly worth arguing considering the guy's place in the company. But when people say "AEW needs to push a black star" and the response is "They tried with Scorpio and it failed" that rings false to me because as Selachin said, it felt like a very half hearted push and the one time they did push hard with Jericho people liked it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Someone made a video for the thread... (It's not what the thumbnail looks like)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dry5zATzPlY

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
They liked it so much, the show where he got the match against Jericho dropped 0.13 from the previous week.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

Again, "Scorpio Sky isn't good enough to warrant a serious attempt to make him a star" is an opinion totally separate from "they tried to seriously push Scorpio Sky and make him a star and it failed." I disagree with the former but its hardly worth arguing considering the guy's place in the company. But when people say "AEW needs to push a black star" and the response is "They tried with Scorpio and it failed" that rings false to me because as Selachin said, it felt like a very half hearted push and the one time they did push hard with Jericho people liked it.

He got the winning a match in street clothes thing, he was the main focus of the original tag team tournament and the first title reign, he got a mini-program with Jericho, it's easily the same launch pad as the likes of Darby and Jungle Boy got through 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Jonny Nox posted:

Someone made a video for the thread... (It's not what the thumbnail looks like)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dry5zATzPlY

Same guy made this video, which is also hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COtvwegFDwU