Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Robobot posted:

What good is living into your 80s if you can't tell people that you were once able to throw a keg over a twenty foot bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

We need a 50-100 year moratorium on men in politics.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A glorious century reign of Thatchers and Sinemas

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Boebert/Taylor Greene 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress that. I missed one shot to vote for Kanye I ain't missing another

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Emo was way better than goth, punk, and whatever the gently caress metal was (dad)

Also Billie Joe Armstrong circa 2006 remains the ideal male look.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Aug 28, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Emo was way better than goth, punk, and whatever the gently caress metal was (dad)

Also Billie Joe Armstrong circa 2006 remains the ideal male look.

Lord above

Bauhaus, Buzzcocks, and Pantera? No thanks as a man of taste I prefer MCR

Let get my frosted tips and eyeliner on and Im ready to go to the show

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I can't count the number of times I'd roll out of bed, spray Rightguard deodorant on, and then head straight to a metal concert in my early twenties. I can't imagine I smelled good at all. Being in shape sure did do a lot of heavy lifting for my love life back then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Emo always got an unfair amount of poo poo because it (unwisely) was more concerned about expression than palatability, in addition to the poor timing of being the zeitgeist right when Napster (very correctly) hosed the music industry sideways and the mainstream put their chips on NuMetal, the Nickleback sound, and Dirty South/Club jams.

Say what you will about goth, punk, and metal... they had the hits to back up the flamboyance. You can still throw on some crossover hits from The Clash, The Cure, or Metallica and get the crowd moving if you time it right. What from the emo era still slaps that hard?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I will say that as far as punk goes Fugazi is incredibly overrated. I would even go so far as to say that not only are they not good, they’re loving bad and I have no idea how they got their reputation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh that's super easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOAXm94VWo

Most heard this at one or two parties where it hit the crowd hard and assumed everything else the band did was just as good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, that’s their best song but it’s average at best and something about it annoys me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a drunk song you can mosh and wail incoherently to with your friends during your dirt phase and yeah that's by definition a gross, annoying period in a person's life.

Idk I'd rather slam to Waiting Room than Jump Around for the 1,000,000th time. That whistle screech might be tight but gently caress is it a lot more played out.

Never forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JruXvL_uuSc

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I will say that as far as punk goes Fugazi is incredibly overrated. I would even go so far as to say that not only are they not good, they’re loving bad and I have no idea how they got their reputation.

I think their god-like status is a bit much but you lost me on that second part completely.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The objectively best music is the kind I liked when I was 15-23 years old and the objectively best band is the one from that genre that I liked before they became mainstream successes

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

The objectively best music is the kind I liked when I was 15-23 years old and the objectively best band is the one from that genre that I liked before they became mainstream successes

:hai:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I think Electric Six is the best contemporary rock band.

As a side effect it makes you dumber if you listen to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Oh that's super easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOAXm94VWo

Most heard this at one or two parties where it hit the crowd hard and assumed everything else the band did was just as good.

I feel the same way about Everlong by the foo fighters. Everlong is a banger, but all their other stuff is boring as hell

Aramek posted:

I think Electric Six is the best contemporary rock band.

As a side effect it makes you dumber if you listen to it.

best contemporary rock band is QOTSA

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
My unpopular opinion is that the term "gaslighting" is used too frequently now and I see people use it all the time just when someone is disagreeing with them. Just hearing someone say the word now bothers me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ToxicToast posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the term "gaslighting" is used too frequently now and I see people use it all the time just when someone is disagreeing with them. Just hearing someone say the word now bothers me.

The term gaslighting comes from the old movie gaslight, about a dude who tries to convince his wife she's insane. There's another movie with the same premise that came out in the 50s called The Screaming Skull.

It's hosed up that whoever popularized the term chose the earlier movie. We could be calling it Screaming Skulling and that would be way cooler.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ToxicToast posted:

See also: Kramering, concern trolling, sea-lioning, etc. It's funny because another mantra of these people is 'intent doesn't matter', at least in cases where they feel like they have been slighted (of course this isn't a universal principle--you'd have to have a very strange sense of morality to consistently believe this), but they spend a lot of time imagining that everyone who disagrees with them or slights them is doing it with the most malicious intent.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

There are a lot of terms that really mean "I am a dumb garbagebaby" and those sure are some of them

edit: the garbagebaby also pisses their pants in this situation I assume

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ToxicToast posted:

My fav was when I got called a gatekeeper because I made a joke that someone should iron their pride flag.

Words are meaningless.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ToxicToast posted:

That never happened. You must have just imagined it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I feel the same way about Everlong by the foo fighters. Everlong is a banger, but all their other stuff is boring as hell
No way man they're the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best. the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRlJrkxsqo

quote:

best contemporary rock band is QOTSA
My PHUO is that "rock" has been dead for 20 years and good loving riddance to it.

ToxicToast posted:

No this is legit. It's one of those things where lovely people weaponize the only "legitimate" language they know, and/or filter all their experiences through that lens. It's not really PHUO to say, but Twitter especially encourages terminally online young people to compress language into bite-size barbs that are little more than a knot of reactionary buzzwords. Just fling the grenade and if you're astute you can tailor the buzzwords so at least a few will stick regardless of how nuanced the actual details are.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Aug 29, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

See also: Kramering, concern trolling, sea-lioning, etc. It's funny because another mantra of these people is 'intent doesn't matter', at least in cases where they feel like they have been slighted (of course this isn't a universal principle--you'd have to have a very strange sense of morality to consistently believe this), but they spend a lot of time imagining that everyone who disagrees with them or slights them is doing it with the most malicious intent.

keyboards should have a feature where if you type "sealioning" you get electrocuted

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
“There’s no ethical consumption under capitalism” is both true and an admission that you don’t really care where your money goes.

Also there wouldn’t be ethical consumption in non-capitalist economic systems but that’s neither here nor there

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sealioning is a useful idea but the term sucks and the original comic has the huge problem that it needed a long clarification that the sealion was actually in the wrong, because the initial few panels read an awful lot like them calling out bigotry.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The original comic was made at the height of Gamergate so it was fairly obvious who it meant at the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The recent black keys album was alright

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

True but Foo Fighters mostly suck and Fugazi definitely does not suck. The original claim that everyone has only heard waiting room is goddamn ridiculous. and I am like a 3/10 on the Fugazi fan scale and I can at least parse a decent amount of good albums and songs. Most of the people I have ever known who like them know every song front to back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Foo Fighters and Fugazi kind of occupy the same level of technical and songwriting quality (extremely ok) to me if I try to look at it objectively, but something about Fugazi’s music annoys the hell out of me in a way the Foo Fighters doesn’t and I don’t know why. Foo Fighters just bores me.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Foo Fighters and Fugazi kind of occupy the same level of technical and songwriting quality (extremely ok) to me if I try to look at it objectively, but something about Fugazi’s music annoys the hell out of me in a way the Foo Fighters doesn’t and I don’t know why. Foo Fighters just bores me.

:same:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wondermark is a good webcomic and that sealion thing is not what it deserves to be known for.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

docbeard posted:

Wondermark is a good webcomic and that sealion thing is not what it deserves to be known for.

Yeah instead it should be known for months of “Check out my sick elephant”

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All webcomics suck rear end

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked order of the stick, but also I was like 16 so

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Everyone seems to hate Achewood but sorry guys it is the only good webcomic

People get real pisspants angry about it existing for some reason. Who knows, weird people are the loudest I suppose

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Questionable Content and Gunnerkrigg are still going very, very strongly, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Something Positive started in 2001 and I'm still reading it. The characters age in real time, and I'm about the same age as the original crop of main characters (and the author), so I guess it's just stayed relevant for me as time goes by.

I'm very glad it grew out of the surreal phase (trapdoor gators etc.) that it went through about ten years ago, though.