Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Populon posted:

Should I watch the remake of legend of galactic heroes or is it poo poo?

start with the movies My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Mecha Gojira posted:

start with the movies My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War.

I watched the movies and the original before and loved it, I just didn't know if the modern version was worth watching

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's basically just a shinier update of the original. Not bad if you want huge, lavish space battles, at least.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I thought the space battles in the new LoGH didn't quite capture the scale that the older version had - the ships are all CG so there's lots of opportunities to show then swooshing dramatically across the screen, but that belies their scale. The stills and slow, ponderous animation of the original lent a certain weight and heft to the battle segments that I prefer.

For example, in the original first few episodes when Yang counters Reinhardt's attack by makining the fleets circle one another to force a stalemate, most of the shots show either the whole battle at a great distance, where the fleets are basically dust clouds, or via the tactical displays that the commanders see. In the new version, the ships are basically turbo drifting across the screen in glorious CG, and it makes the whole situation feel... smaller.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Populon posted:

I watched the movies and the original before and loved it, I just didn't know if the modern version was worth watching

my bad, I missed the 'remake' part of the original post.

yeah, I don't know if I want to watch it either. If anything what I want is the original versions of the original episodes without the reanimated bits from the Blu Ray.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

The original didn't have very good space battles if I'm being honest. They didn't really capture a good sense of frontage or motion unless it was abstracted through the tactical displays. A lot of times things seemed to just happen for the sake of the plot because it had to. It only really got cool in the up close and personal stuff, like the strike craft segments or the axe fights.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The original didn't have very good space battles if I'm being honest. They didn't really capture a good sense of frontage or motion unless it was abstracted through the tactical displays. A lot of times things seemed to just happen for the sake of the plot because it had to. It only really got cool in the up close and personal stuff, like the strike craft segments or the axe fights.

I guess it's down to personal preference, but I really, really liked the old battles (the strike craft parts WERE loving awesome though).

I haven't seen any sci-fi series with fleet battles on this scale - thousands of ships in fleets that can be hundreds of kilometers wide, engaging one another at even more massive distances. The presentation of that might seen static and dull, but it also lends a kind of tension. There's no sense of motion because on an individual scale, there WAS no motion.

There's something about the helplessness of any individual ship or participant that made the battles feel more stressful. There's no ace helmsmen or genius captains that are going to make a difference to their crew, you just have to trust in the fleet commander, hold the line and roll the dice. One of those specks of dust in the far distance might have a railgun bolt with your name on it even if you perform your duties perfectly.

McKilligan has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Aug 29, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McKilligan posted:

I haven't seen any sci-fi series with fleet battles on this scale - thousands of ships in fleets that can be hundreds of kilometers wide, engaging one another at even more massive distances. The presentation of that might seen static and dull, but it also lends a kind of tension. There's no sense of motion because on an individual scale, there WAS no motion.

But that's also not really true, because there's a ton of motion going on at the fleet level, which is the real problem. There's a lot of footage of massed ships moving to and fro but no real sense of space or their relation to the environment. They end up having to tell a lot more than they show.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

elaboration has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Mar 22, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

logh is good because its 90% guys talking in rooms about the nature of democracy and poo poo, the space battles are like tertiary at best to that

Yeah, but 'shinier space battles' is still the main selling point of the remake.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The shinier space battles don't really add that much to the experience, because the problem is the lack of a sense for scale and motion across the battlefield. It's hard to do this without a visual metaphor and I think this helps illustrate what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcC_DhBnq0M

Now this is just a set piece battle from a Stellaris mod, but it helps to show what I'm talking about. The scale of the fleets along with everything happening at once is coupled with a real sense of their place and motion across the battlefield. Now in Stellaris this is just two big fleets smashing together without any real tactics - but a director could combine this sense of scale while also curating the flow of action.

Both versions of LoGH have a problem where they can only show so much due to the limitations of animation. The New Thesis has CGI and over-designed space ships, but it's still zoomed in too close on isolated parts of the battle without any real sense for the big picture.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

McKilligan posted:

I guess it's down to personal preference, but I really, really liked the old battles (the strike craft parts WERE loving awesome though).

There's something about the helplessness of any individual ship or participant that made the battles feel more stressful. There's no ace helmsmen or genius captains that are going to make a difference to their crew, you just have to trust in the fleet commander, hold the line and roll the dice. One of those specks of dust in the far distance might have a railgun bolt with your name on it even if you perform your duties perfectly.

It also made it really clear how horrible, meaningless, and expensive war is. All those battles had hundreds or thousands of ships each crewed by hundreds or thousands of people and they could just be deleted en masse in seconds by a suitably powerful beam cannon. Just an incomprehensibly massive amount of resources and human lives spent to just fire a gun at the enemy a few times

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

any saiyans in this show

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are saiyans in every show, but most of the time they are off-screen powering up and aren't particularly relevant.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I preferred the battles in the new show but the story is really simplified and suffers for it imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The axe fights in The New Thesis suck. The power armors they use look stupid and are way too big to be practical for a boarding action. How are you gonna fit through a bulkhead or a sealed door with that poo poo on? Gimme a break.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

im still sad that Ocean dub of LOGH never took off, that's one series that deserves far more mainstream attention

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/MMcflies/status/1432931657057591303

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my favorite youtube philosophy guy put out a video about berserk and Nietzsche

https://youtu.be/zxTwYdYzw8c

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1208476229646438400

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

What's the deal with the Berserk guy and his pedo mangas?

I hadn't heard of this but it got brought up elsewhere in the forums that he's got at least two really dodgy mangas. I thought he only did berserk

Sad! If so coz I really like berserk but now I'm like... That little witch girl who fancies Guts... What's that about

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

Based on the success of strong female characters in works like Frozen and Mad Max: Fury Road, Miura saw an androgynous lead character as the next step and decided to "throw a stone at it" with this story.[7]

:rip: Miura, died before he could complete the Japanese Realms of the Unreal

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

I hadn't heard of this but it got brought up elsewhere in the forums that he's got at least two really dodgy mangas. I thought he only did berserk

Sad! If so coz I really like berserk but now I'm like... That little witch girl who fancies Guts... What's that about

gigantomakhia is about a monster girl that pees on her wrestler friend to turn into a kaiju

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The list of Things Miura Was Horny For is long and not-infrequently disturbing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Unlike a lot of other mangakas, he kept it in his drawings though, unless some stuff comes out.

Never heard a bad thing about the guy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Look, you're chanting! I'm-going-to-play-idol-master, Ami-is-cute, Ami-is-my-friend"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

watching initial d on hulu for want of white noise on the tv while I work. a defining example of 90% of the entertainment in sport anime being the bombastic treatment of its subject matter

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I love berserk and think muira was one of the greatest mangaka of all time. art, story, paneling. dude excelled at every aspect of manga.

he was a pedo though. not joking.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
it was a fairly gradual descent iirc. starts off with regular-rear end women, nothing brow-raising even if he fancied rape scenarios a little too often.

then he introduced us to the little witch character

then he introduced us to her without any clothes

then came the land of giants and the piss loli

then... that one manga...

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Office Pig posted:

it was a fairly gradual descent iirc. starts off with regular-rear end women, nothing brow-raising even if he fancied rape scenarios a little too often.

you are forgetting the always naked moth apostle

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's very simple.

The little witch girl fancies Gutts, and there's nothing more to it. :colbert:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ringo Roadagain posted:

you are forgetting the always naked moth apostle

i did, but i'm hesitant to throw it into the depravity canon since that all seemed to have some perceptible thematic conceit working in its favor so you could look at it without thinking about which idolmaster game helped speed along the illustrative process through hours of whacking off

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Office Pig posted:

wait, I thought the piss loli was the one bad one?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Office Pig posted:

i did, but i'm hesitant to throw it into the depravity canon since that all seemed to have some perceptible thematic conceit working in its favor so you could look at it without thinking about which idolmaster game helped speed along the illustrative process through hours of whacking off

You can always do that. In fact I recommend it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Aw man...

Well at least he's dead now and I feel way less bad about it!

Whats the bad one if the piss one isn't it?

Whatshisface the Blame! guy seems to be into piss too, the main character has to drink a girls piss in sidonia and that doll one.
And the little blush people do in sidonia when their suit goes up their urethra, there's something goin on there

I don't think it happens in Blame though and I didn't read biomega

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're like one of the people on the Snowpiercer who want to look into the protein bar machine. You know it's gonna be gross, so why do it?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Artists are all freaks so if the worst you’re getting is someone getting peed on occasionally, that’s not too bad in the grand scheme of things

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my favorite youtube philosophy guy put out a video about berserk and Nietzsche

https://youtu.be/zxTwYdYzw8c

sorry to undermine this piss discussion, but this video is pretty excellent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mirello posted:

sorry to undermine this piss discussion, but this video is pretty excellent

Don't apologize, just don't undermine the piss discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Speaking of piss,

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1433792002966106113?s=20