Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the matches will take place in alphabetical order. match eight, match five, match four, match nine, match one, match seven, match six, match ten, match three, and then match two as the main event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Punk made a big deal of never main eventing in WWE even when he was the champion so I wouldn’t be surprised if his match was last.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Punk main evented many WWE PPVs, but not WrestleMania.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think booking a random CM Punk match over the world title just because of Punk's status is really the right way to respond to Punk's criticism that when he was champ and working hard to carry the company but was overshadowed by name guys and special guests.

But I also don't think its a huge deal. I tend to lean towards the world title being at the top of the card but things don't happen in a vacuum and I'm fine with hotter matches getting the slot if the circumstances make sense. I'm not sure they do with Punk/Darby but I dunno.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And anyways, wouldn’t that make the argument that he wouldn’t try to pull rank on the title match?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Clearly the only option is to have both the CM Punk match and the title match happen simultaneously

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
They did Kenny vs Mox after the Cody vs Jericho match for the title.

But I think Punk goes on first.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Strawberry Panda posted:

They did Kenny vs Mox after the Cody vs Jericho match for the title.

But I think Punk goes on first.

Wasn't Kenny vs Mox "unsanctioned"?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

a cyborg mug posted:

Clearly the only option is to have both the CM Punk match and the title match happen simultaneously

A shot for shot remake of the matches from ddt's kawasaki stadium show.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't Kenny vs Mox "unsanctioned"?

Yeah, in kayfabe, but it still closed the PPV out.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

karmicknight posted:

A shot for shot remake of the matches from ddt's kawasaki stadium show.

And have Tony Khan run out after to yell at them for loving it up.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will enjoy All Out in whatever non linear fashion it is presented.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
all of the matches on the all out card are happening at the same time to make everyone happy

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm coming last

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lid posted:

It absolutely is not an exception and at worst emulates in excess Cena v Rock going on last diminishing the title and running risks of the match could suck.

It also devalues the title when you absolutely drain the crowd by the time the title match happens like at WM 25

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If there are any two guys I would trust to win back the crowd after Punk's match its Christian and Kenny Omega, but I also would not blame Tony for putting on Punk last since the match is of historic nature.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Put it on first since he'll main event someday when he's holding the title. Punk wrestling again is also big enough it doesn't need additional pomp and circumstance, let punk's first match and punk's first aew main event be different matches. Also being first gives the rest of the card space without burning out the crowd, start high, let them drop a little, build to the main.

But also it won't matter in the slightest and the only reason Tony might be thinking about this as hard as we are is because he's also terminally online.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 29, 2021

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I've seen a lot of PWG shows after the first two Rampage shows I don't know if you can actually burn out fans who are there to see wrestling so it doesn't matter who's first or last.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

I've seen a lot of PWG shows after the first two Rampage shows I don't know if you can actually burn out fans who are there to see wrestling so it doesn't matter who's first or last.

You absolutely can if it goes for 4 hours.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

ARMBAR A COP posted:

You absolutely can if it goes for 4 hours.
Only if they're bad shows

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

Only if they're bad shows

There's a difference in the crowd capacity. It's hard to keep 10k+ excited over a 4+ hour show. Large chunks of the crowd are gonna wanna get concessions, take a piss, or stand in the giant rear end merch line.

Also as much promise as the show has there's still a possibility some matches don't click for whatever reason.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 29, 2021

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Put it on first since he'll main event someday when he's holding the title. Punk wrestling again is also big enough it doesn't need additional pomp and circumstance, let punk's first match and punk's first aew main event be different matches. Also being first gives the rest of the card space without burning it the crowd, start high, let them drop a little, build to the main.

But also it won't matter in the slightest and the only reason Tony might be thinking about this as hard as we are is because he's also terminally online.

Nah, figuring out how to close out a show is important, you’ll notice Tony either closes with a big moment or a babyface victory so the show closes and the crowd goes home happy, which is important to get people to keep tuning in for the following TV. It’s only after a certain point, years of existence, when you can pull the downer ending and people are bought in enough to go “no, this will eventually end well, this will turn around”, and if you go back to the well too much - cough WWE cough - it’ll begin to put off portions of the audience and they won’t come back for anything but big marquee stuff and then drop back out again (in other words, WWE has made hardcores into casuals… by chasing casuals, who by nature aren’t going to stick around! They’re casual!). Tony’s 100% thought a lot about how to close something like this where he’s got two very easy choices for show closers.

So, Bryan in the post title match stuff? It closes the show. Kenny wins and nothing in the post-match except for maybe some Elite beat down on Christian or something? You end with Darby/Punk. If the crowd isn’t leaving buzzing or happy, unless you’re sure you’ve got them secured on the hook before they even arrived at the building (i.e, Naito at Wrestle Kingdom 12), you better make sure you put one in the water for them to bite on.

I mean this is sort of how the Dusty Finish worked - you give the crowd a happy ending, and then later, you invalidate it for a later real payoff but you still gave people that happy ending originally so they’d leave the building excited for the next NWA show to come to the area. Eventually it backfired because crowds stopped trusting the happy ending even when it was the real feud ender, but in theory, it made sense.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Strawberry Panda posted:

There's a difference in the crowd capacity. It's hard to keep 10k+ excited over a 4+ hour show. Large chunks of the crowd are gonna wanna get concessions, take a piss, or stand in the giant rear end merch line.

Also as much promise as the show has there's still a possibility some matches don't click for whatever reason.
Have you ever gone to a sport that isn't wrestling? People are going to do that regardless but if it's a good show people usually stay unless they need to piss

Just have more people selling merch, snacks, and beer to the crowd in wrestling so you only need to get up to use the bathroom

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i’ve seen countless really good wrestling shows where the crowd is dead for good matches because it’s hard to keep it up for 4 hours. not sure why other sports matter or whatever else you’re talking about but i do trust my own experience

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

Have you ever gone to a sport that isn't wrestling? People are going to do that regardless but if it's a good show people usually stay unless they need to piss

Just have more people selling merch, snacks, and beer to the crowd in wrestling so you only need to get up to use the bathroom

Not sure what your argument is here. Other sports have commercial breaks and time outs and poo poo for people to do that kind of stuff. Plus in any given sports game you only really need to be around for the end to catch the most exciting parts of the game. Also half times, inning switches, etc.

I'm just reminded of Jericho talking about his match vs Punk at WrestleMania 28. I was in that audience and we were still exhausted over Undertaker vs HHH, and not hyped with the multi-man tag that came after. Took until the finishing reversal sequence to wake the crowd up. And Jericho says the match was really good! And listening to retrospectives on that show, it was the 2nd best match on the card. But most of the crowd just... really didn't care at the time.

Even at Rampage in Chicago. After Punk came out, thousands stormed the merch stands and didn't bother to watch any of the other matches.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tampa Bae posted:

Note to self: Invent crowd-vendor personal urinals.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ARMBAR A COP posted:

I'm coming last

this made me laugh at work gj

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Note to self: Invent crowd-vendor personal urinals.

The wrestling audience will never be the same once arenas introduce the Schlaaang Super Seat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAy7GIMpTk

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tampa Bae posted:

I was at this game and half the crowd had left by the end of it. No matter how much you love something or how good it is at some point you get physically or mentally exhausted or have to catch a bus or get up for work or to wake the kids up or something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Punk going on last would be funny as gently caress if you like comedy hypocrisy, he’ll be in the middle of the card somewhere imo.

He signed a long term deal, he can ‘earn’ a main event like anyone else would and that makes a much better “see I told you I could main the tentpole event” story than just getting it handed to him first time at bat.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

They'd probably want to save Darby's first PPV main event for a storyline built around Darby. It's not like he's a random dude they're putting out there for Punk to go through. He's one of their most pushed talents.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

I was at this game and half the crowd had left by the end of it. No matter how much you love something or how good it is at some point you get physically or mentally exhausted or have to catch a bus or get up for work or to wake the kids up or something.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Not sure what your argument is here. Other sports have commercial breaks and time outs and poo poo for people to do that kind of stuff. Plus in any given sports game you only really need to be around for the end to catch the most exciting parts of the game. Also half times, inning switches, etc.

I'm just reminded of Jericho talking about his match vs Punk at WrestleMania 28. I was in that audience and we were still exhausted over Undertaker vs HHH, and not hyped with the multi-man tag that came after. Took until the finishing reversal sequence to wake the crowd up. And Jericho says the match was really good! And listening to retrospectives on that show, it was the 2nd best match on the card. But most of the crowd just... really didn't care at the time.

Even at Rampage in Chicago. After Punk came out, thousands stormed the merch stands and didn't bother to watch any of the other matches.

yea ok posted:

i’ve seen countless really good wrestling shows where the crowd is dead for good matches because it’s hard to keep it up for 4 hours. not sure why other sports matter or whatever else you’re talking about but i do trust my own experience
Turns out my area might be excited about not sucking ig

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Punk going on last would be funny as gently caress if you like comedy hypocrisy, he’ll be in the middle of the card somewhere imo.

He signed a long term deal, he can ‘earn’ a main event like anyone else would and that makes a much better “see I told you I could main the tentpole event” story than just getting it handed to him first time at bat.

wasn't the problem with not getting the Mania main event was that Punk had the championship. AEW always books a championship match last even if a better match will go before it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fez_machine posted:

wasn't the problem with not getting the Mania main event was that Punk had the championship

Yep. They tried to tell him he was their top guy with the title run, but Cena always main evented even when he had the belt, so it was transparently not true

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fez_machine posted:

AEW always books a championship match last even if a better match will go before it.
People keep saying this but in the brief history of AEW PPV main events where they had a world championship:
All Out 2019 - Title Match
Full Gear 2019 - Omega/Moxley Lights Out
Revolution 2020 - Title Match
Double or Nothing 2020 - Stadium Stampede
All Out 2020 - Title Match
Full Gear 2020 - Title Match
Revolution 2021 - Title Match
Double or Nothing 2021 - Stadium Stampede

So it's 5 out of 8 shows with the championship going on last, not "always".

I agree it would make the most sense to put Punk/Darby on first and then main event with the AEW or tag titles, though I also think whatever match has the best show-closing beat should probably go on last.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am hoping that Danielson returns at the end of the show to help stop an Elite beat down. Only for Hangman to return to also an extremely loud pop and they end the show with the two of them having a stare down.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Evil Badman posted:

Yeah, in kayfabe, but it still closed the PPV out.

Yeah, if you're going to do a "lights out" match, it has to go on last. Canonically, the show has ended, and the lights go out. The match that happens after that is disavowed by the company, officially, they have nothing to do with it, it didn't happen during their show, two people just had a match in our ring when we were trying to pack up! Has nothing to do with us. That's the gimmick.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

so what you're saying is that Jericho/Cody main evented Full Gear 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I actually like the idea of of him opening, openers should get the crowd hot, although historically I've never seen Chicago be anything other than hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am hoping that Danielson returns at the end of the show to help stop an Elite beat down. Only for Hangman to return to also an extremely loud pop and they end the show with the two of them having a stare down.

And then they kiss.