Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Been playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite since launch and this is the game my brother and I have been waiting decades for. We finally have a really loving good, arcade-style horde shooter set in the Alien franchise and it is so much fun. Finally! :allears:

Pretty cool that it's from a small dev team and it's their first big title; they knocked it out of the park. Gunplay feels great (those pulse rifle SFX are perfect), art direction is super good, and there's a decent amount of weapon customization and character builds. Easily worth more than the $40 they're charging for it imo. If you're a fan of James Cameron's Aliens, this'll hit all the right notes. If you're looking for a fun co-op horde shooter to play with friends, I heartily recommend this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1ldw2pZEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

teagone posted:

Been playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite since launch and this is the game my brother and I have been waiting decades for. We finally have a really loving good, arcade-style horde shooter set in the Alien franchise and it is so much fun. Finally! :allears:

Pretty cool that it's from a small dev team and it's their first big title; they knocked it out of the park. Gunplay feels great (those pulse rifle SFX are perfect), art direction is super good, and there's a decent amount of weapon customization and character builds. Easily worth more than the $40 they're charging for it imo. If you're a fan of James Cameron's Aliens, this'll hit all the right notes. If you're looking for a fun co-op horde shooter to play with friends, I heartily recommend this game.

I've been playing on ps5 and having a great time. My only complaints are that I don't like how the docs med station needs a med kit pickup to refill it and that without a quick play function there are basically 12 separate lobbies spread across 5 difficulties which might make matchmaking difficult when fewer people are playing.

Overall though I'm loving it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jolo posted:

I've been playing on ps5 and having a great time. My only complaints are that I don't like how the docs med station needs a med kit pickup to refill it

Yeah, I've exclusively been playing doc and there's a weird little meta game of managing triage by always making sure you're not carrying any med kits. I imagine it's a lot harder to manage triage with pubbies, but either way, my general doc tip is to make sure you're always healing either your party or yourself with kits first so your med kit slot is empty to recharge the trauma station. I haven't unlocked all the perks yet, so not sure if there's one that allows the doc to pick up med kits to charge the trauma station even if you're already carrying one. [edit] There's a decent perk that increases the doc's healing output, so imo your party should always prioritize the doc to take all the med kits.

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 28, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm glad we got a decent Aliens game, and I am having fun playing it with friends, but it really just makes me want to play Vermintide. Not really a fair comparison I guess, but the later is a lot more fun.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Alien Isolation 2 when :pray:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Palpek posted:

Alien Isolation 2 when :pray:

You play as the Alien this time and it's part stealth and part disguises like Hitman.

"Hey Jenkins you don't usually hiss and create enormous pools of viscous drool. You feeling alright, lemme get a closer look at you-"

*violence*

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
When I go to a game in my game library, in shows my friends' achievements. How do I hide these? It's awesome going to a game I just bought and having it spoiled because the achievements reveal the plot.

When I google how to do it, it just brings up pages on how to hide my own achievements.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Leal posted:

Got really addicted to Total Warhammer 2

I took 154 people to fight 1 guy. How heroic.

Well if you didn't take everyone it wouldn't be a total war.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Jolo posted:

You play as the Alien this time and it's part stealth and part disguises like Hitman.

"Hey Jenkins you don't usually hiss and create enormous pools of viscous drool. You feeling alright, lemme get a closer look at you-"

*violence*
Now I want an Alien Dad game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Leal posted:

Got really addicted to Total Warhammer 2

I took 154 people to fight 1 guy. How heroic.

I honestly can't tell from the screenshot what you where fighting, but based on my knowledge of tabletop you could very well have been grossly underprepared. Better safe than sorry.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

When I go to a game in my game library, in shows my friends' achievements. How do I hide these? It's awesome going to a game I just bought and having it spoiled because the achievements reveal the plot.

When I google how to do it, it just brings up pages on how to hide my own achievements.

Your Name > Activity > At the top in tiny, tiny text, "Friend Activity Settings".

Edit: Oh you said game library. Hm.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.gamefront.com/games/gamingtoday/article/classic-star-trek-games-could-be-re-released-on-gog-galaxy-soon

"Star Trek Armada 1 & Armada 2, Star Trek Bridge Commander, and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and Elite Force 2 could be due for re-release on GOG"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The United States posted:

https://www.gamefront.com/games/gamingtoday/article/classic-star-trek-games-could-be-re-released-on-gog-galaxy-soon

"Star Trek Armada 1 & Armada 2, Star Trek Bridge Commander, and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force and Elite Force 2 could be due for re-release on GOG"

:hellyeah:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

I honestly can't tell from the screenshot what you where fighting, but based on my knowledge of tabletop you could very well have been grossly underprepared. Better safe than sorry.

He still lost 16 so that guy must be an absolute beast

e: Big D they call him

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 28, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Fleet Ops mod for Armada 2 is aces.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

midwayish through the second dungeon in Death's Door and it feels... okay? the music & art are very nice, obviously, but the gameplay is starting to feel pretty stale, considering how :geno: my last upgrade was

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tales of Arise looks neat, but will I be super confused if I haven't played any others in the series? Or does each game have its own storyline like a final fantasy type deal

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Tales of Arise looks neat, but will I be super confused if I haven't played any others in the series? Or does each game have its own storyline like a final fantasy type deal

Some of them are connected, like Zestiria and Berseria being in the same universe, but unless it's a numbered sequel they're all standalone.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

deep dish peat moss posted:

I beat the campaigns and did a round of Horde Mode in Aliens: Fireteam Elite.

I don't play enough of these games to be too nuanced about my thoughts. It's been mostly pretty fun - the weapons are suave, blasting xenomorphs feels righteous, the environments are fairly varied. Like, it's been an enjoyable experience and even though I can't say it's going to go down in history as a classic, it's one of the better interactive electronic representations of the Aliens franchise. I think the price tag is too high but when it goes on sale it's not a bad experience if you like Aliens - it's a solid $15 game imo. It's definitely a B-Movie action flick of a videogame - enjoyable if you like the vibe - and the xenos/other enemies never feel "scary" or even particularly threatening so don't go in expecting anything like Alien Isolation. All of that being said, it got steadily less exciting as I got better at it.

Been playing a bunch of Alien: Fireteam Elite and I want to offer a perspective on someone that has played around 30-35 hours. I do not think this is a 15 dollar game, come on, it is a 40 dollar game. It is AA. If you only play on Casual or Standard difficulty it could feel like a 15 dollar title, as there isn't as much challenge (depending on how levelled you are). However the game is really sick as you get to higher difficulty and use the challenge cards. If you only want to play on standard, then this is a great sale game. If you want to go deeper on this and follow the season pass, it is definitely worth 40 bucks. The season pass content is all free, with pay only being for cosmetic stuff. First one drops Sept 8 with a new class and new weapons. The increased difficulty turns off enemy highlighting, adds incrementally more friendly fire, more acid damage, less ammo and health packs. Even on "intense" which is 1 step up from standard things start getting way more challenging!

Good
- Lots of varied weapons with multiple weapons within each "type" so you should be able to find one that you're comfortable with
- The dialogue / voice acting is good
- The story is ok! There is definitely a leftist perspective running through the game too as multiple characters go IN on corporate control and poo poo
- The game gets progressively more challenging on higher difficulties, with each step easing you further into the max challenge experience.
- When you're going back to back to back with your boys (or vasquezes) and lighting up bugs it is a great experience
- Great flamethrower effect and it is actually a baller weapon.
- Lots of cosmetic variety! Really fun to play marine dress up
- The skill system allows for them to easily add new abilities / upgrades to keep the game fresh. You unlock universal perks on each class that can be freely applied to the other classes.
- Good potential for the horde mode to give this some life similar to the ME3 multiplayer
- The challenge modifiers can be really fun, such as 1 that adds a filter over the your screen that makes it look like you're watching the game from the APC monitors
- Really fun with friends!
- The maps have some limited randomness to them including objective location and some other things (1 level will spawn different elite enemies depending on which random objective gets activated)
- Smartgunning a wave of aliens loving owns
- The maps are all great looking, they put all their money into the aliens, weapons, marines, and maps and it shows!

Bad
- As the above poster mentioned, its not as challenging on standard difficulty- I have never died or lost a mission on standard outside of 1 mission where you get "overrun" and have to run to an exit and my teammate didn't run because they were a noob which caused us to wipe.
- The pathing of the aliens does follow a semi-linear route so depending on where the spawns are you can line the enemies up and let em have it
- It takes a while to level up the classes to get their fun stuff like ability modifiers
- The matchmaking is kind of dumb, as you have to queue for a specific combination of difficulty/challenge card system on or off/mission which can make getting 3 humans tough right now
- Less fun if your teammates are idiots. There have been a lot of times I've ended up with as much damage as my teammates combined.

The devs seem committed to making needed fixes/updates so hoping this game can have some long legs as it has the really fun potential of a ME3 mper. For example they are looking into changing how the doc works because its the worst class by far right now.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 28, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've still been playing it on and off (~12 hours) and I've done a bunch of missions on Intense, but generally I haven't been able to find human players for higher difficulties because of the weird matchmaking like you mentioned. Because there are so few human players available on harder difficulties (at least for public games) there are only 2-3 maps that get any play and I'm really sick of them :v: I can't get into the horde mode, it's too static and brief but I agree that there's a lot of potential for it in the future because standing in a corridor with a wall of sentries and bullets just feels right in an Aliens game. I'd really like to see the ammo box there removed or made more limited - ammo in general needs to be made more limited. The Recon class has an ammo restoration drone but it almost never saves the day because it's rare to run dry anyway.

As someone who just plays in public matchmaking games I don't feel it's a $40 game yet but with a better matchmaking system and some more maps (especially for horde mode) it could be great. I'm overall still impressed with it, though I was coming in with low expectations given the IP's history with video games.

e: Well okay I just tried the Smartgun for the first time and that thing has major ammo problems

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 28, 2021

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got all three of the 'new' Shadowrun games a while back, I know Returns is kind of considered their first attempt and isn't super-great, is Hong Kong any good or should I just start with Dragonfall?

I also thought about trying 2077 again but I hear that's still a disaster.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 29, 2021

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Serephina posted:

Ive gotten it with vcounts vs one guy before

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Under the achievements that you're seeing, there should be some little text around them. Don't loving read it.
Sorry, I don't know the actual solution, maybe just don't have friends.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pierson posted:

I got all three of the 'new' Shadowrun games a while back, I know Returns is kind of considered their first attempt and isn't super-great, is Hong Kong any good or should I just start with Dragonfall?

Dragonfall is the best one but Hong Kong is still very good so pick whichever theme strikes your fancy most I guess

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pierson posted:

Hong Kong and Dragonfall have a very different feel to them but are great on their own.

Shadowrun Returns is a bit rough. You can tell they were grasping for the core concept of their games within the Shadowrun IP and not really sure where to go until the last minute. Pretty sure it's fixed, but at the end you, the player, have to use a magic shotgun to kill special enemies, so had you played the game without any shooting skills you end up screwed. Decking is also very poor compared to later games.

Dragonfall starts off way better with a much strong core cast of NPCs and a great sense of mystery and story as you try to uncover what is going down. The Berlin setting has a lot of nods to the Shadowrun continuity for anyone who knows the ttrpg. Overall a massive, massive improvement over Returns and gives off a unique cyberpunk/fantasy vibe few if any games can compare to. Decking got a huge overhaul and is now extremely viable/useful in most missions.

Hong Kong might be my favorite, just because it goes deep into Eastern mysticism and some real weird chi/Ki/feng shui stuff going on in the Walled City. Also great NPC characters in the party. Decking changes again from Dragonfall and is way more fun in my opinion so you'll want a great decker character for most of the time.

Common opinions are play Returns until you get bored, then move on to the other two.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Steam Settings > Library > Disable Community Content.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

pentyne posted:

Hong Kong and Dragonfall have a very different feel to them but are great on their own.

Shadowrun Returns is a bit rough. You can tell they were grasping for the core concept of their games within the Shadowrun IP and not really sure where to go until the last minute. Pretty sure it's fixed, but at the end you, the player, have to use a magic shotgun to kill special enemies, so had you played the game without any shooting skills you end up screwed. Decking is also very poor compared to later games.

Dragonfall starts off way better with a much strong core cast of NPCs and a great sense of mystery and story as you try to uncover what is going down. The Berlin setting has a lot of nods to the Shadowrun continuity for anyone who knows the ttrpg. Overall a massive, massive improvement over Returns and gives off a unique cyberpunk/fantasy vibe few if any games can compare to. Decking got a huge overhaul and is now extremely viable/useful in most missions.

Hong Kong might be my favorite, just because it goes deep into Eastern mysticism and some real weird chi/Ki/feng shui stuff going on in the Walled City. Also great NPC characters in the party. Decking changes again from Dragonfall and is way more fun in my opinion so you'll want a great decker character for most of the time.

Common opinions are play Returns until you get bored, then move on to the other two.

I agree with this except just skip Returns entirely. They aren't short games (15ish hours each?) and you'll get plenty of Shadowrun if you just play Dragonfall and HK, starting with some lame Returns may just make it more likely you burn out on the franchise early.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

Been playing a bunch of Alien: Fireteam Elite and I want to offer a perspective on someone that has played around 30-35 hours. I do not think this is a 15 dollar game, come on, it is a 40 dollar game. It is AA. If you only play on Casual or Standard difficulty it could feel like a 15 dollar title, as there isn't as much challenge (depending on how levelled you are). However the game is really sick as you get to higher difficulty and use the challenge cards. If you only want to play on standard, then this is a great sale game. If you want to go deeper on this and follow the season pass, it is definitely worth 40 bucks. The season pass content is all free, with pay only being for cosmetic stuff. First one drops Sept 8 with a new class and new weapons. The increased difficulty turns off enemy highlighting, adds incrementally more friendly fire, more acid damage, less ammo and health packs. Even on "intense" which is 1 step up from standard things start getting way more challenging!
I did my first mission on Intense yesterday and the jump in difficulty is pretty massive. Granted I played with bots (which the tooltip even recommends against) but oof I dunno how I'm gonna finish more missions above Standard. The matchmaking situation is ridiculous though, given how many separate matchmaking queues there are it's really silly to me how there's no quickplay queue available from the get-go.

On a side note I really wish co-op games like this had good bots. I realize this might seem like a strange ask for what is supposed to be a co-op multiplayer game but the Better Bots mod (and subsequent bot update) for PAYDAY 2 really extended the life of that game for me long after all my friends who played quit. Instead most games only have the most rudimentary of bots that usually only work for whatever the normal difficulty is.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jerkface posted:

For example they are looking into changing how the doc works because its the worst class by far right now.

Honestly, just changing it so the doc can pick up med kits when stocked with one already to charge their trauma station would be a great quality-of-life change for me lmao.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

teagone posted:

Honestly, just changing it so the doc can pick up med kits when stocked with one already to charge their trauma station would be a great quality-of-life change for me lmao.

They have to rework it, like the obvious thing is "let docs pick up medkits even if theyre full health" but that wastes a bunch of potential healing.

The clearest best case scenario is using a medkit on a damage player and getting that heal AND the 750 free health that comes from picking up a new medkit. If you just let them pick up medkits at full then they could waste a bunch of potential healing just to gain 750 station healing.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Pierson posted:

If you absolutely have to play Returns, like if you got them in a bundle, you can import its campaign into Dragonfall and play with the much better quality of life changes that game offers. Just google how to do it, there's like a billion steam posts saying how.

You're missing absolutely nothing by not playing it however. It's baby first cyberpunk adventure at best. Dragonfall and HK both are excellent on their own but I'd play Dragonfall then HK because going backward you start to miss QOL things they put in the later games.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post.

Givin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 29, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Outside of deus ex how many classic cyberpunk RPGs were there really? Like isn't baby's first cyberpunk still a huge thing?

Legit asking, I was like 4 when Deus Ex came out.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't know if I'd put it at "classic" territory but The Surge 1/2 are excellent new contenders in that space.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Outside of deus ex how many classic cyberpunk RPGs were there really? Like isn't baby's first cyberpunk still a huge thing?

Legit asking, I was like 4 when Deus Ex came out.

Anachronox, Beneath a Steel Sky but it's an adventure game and not an RPG so I don't know if that counts, the Shadowrun game for Genesis (one of the top 3 games of all time easily), Final Fantasy 7, E.Y.E., Chaos Overlords, Crusader: No Remorse, and No Regret, the newer 2 Shadowrun PC games, Satellite Reign, Perfect Dark (ok that's the furthest thing from an RPG on this list), System Shock 1 and 2. Uhh that's all I can think of but I'm sure there are more. I've been way into cyberpunk stuff since I was a little kid

e; Hybrid Heaven for the N64, which was the best N64 game and also one of the best RPGs of the 90s.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 29, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anachronox, Beneath a Steel Sky but it's an adventure game and not an RPG so I don't know if that counts, the Shadowrun game for Genesis (one of the top 3 games of all time easily), Final Fantasy 7, E.Y.E., Chaos Overlords, Crusader: No Remorse, and No Regret, the newer 2 Shadowrun PC games, Satellite Reign, Perfect Dark (ok that's the furthest thing from an RPG on this list), System Shock 1 and 2. Uhh that's all I can think of but I'm sure there are more. I've been way into cyberpunk stuff since I was a little kid

e; Hybrid Heaven for the N64, which was the best N64 game and also one of the best RPGs of the 90s.

Don't forget SNES Shadowrun and Mega CD Shadowrun (made by Compile of all people)

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The shadow run Xbox 360 game that launched mid 2000s as multiplayer only was extremely fun. I’d kill for a good single player campaign in that engine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The United States posted:

Rad as this would be I hope they are able to touch up Armada significantly, both of them, because as of right now those two do not play well with modern Windows in the slightest.

Also it's a perfect time to repost the absurd fanfic that is the Armada 1 intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ked-Pw0mZyY

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 29, 2021

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

teagone posted:

goonmade to boot

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

No joke, Wikipedia is great for lists of video games subjects, thus we have the cyberpunk video games list. Nothing nerds like more than cataloging, so you get all sorts of lists on oddball subjects like video games about ghosts or video games set in the Soviet Union. Giant Bomb has it's video games wiki which does something similar, see their cyberpunk video game list, but it's more of a pain to navigate and not as comprehensive about obscure subjects.

Saddened that Snatcher has been forgotten. Syndicate too for that matter, since we've strayed far afield from RPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfltRGG_yQo&t=171s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Orv posted:

Also it's a perfect time to repost the absurd fanfic that is the Armada 1 intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ked-Pw0mZyY

Seeing the Enterprise blow up an Activision logo is kinda hilarious right now