Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

I'm willing to buy you a shovel to help you out.

I will dig a hole with the shovel you buy. how deep you want it?
Dimensions are important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If you dig long enough you're bound to dig up eventually.

I enjoyed this conversation but know I'm just a pedantic rear end, not one of the true believers you've been waiting to pounce on for how long?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

I enjoyed this conversation but know I'm just a pedantic rear end, not one of the true believers you've been waiting to pounce on for how long?

when was the last time I got banned?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

nomad2020 posted:

Oh good, my initial take on your post was correct. Mumpy is just being extra dense.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Orvin posted:

Oh good, my initial take on your post was correct. Mumpy is just being extra dense.

always and forever

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

But for reals, do you all believe that if a real bank collapses there's going to be up to $250,000 per account just waiting for us to claim?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

But for reals, do you all believe that if a real bank collapses there's going to be up to $250,000 per account just waiting for us to claim?

Yes. they are american dollars. what do you think is going to be important when society fails?
Also, why do you think society is going to fail?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

You'll have to join the Doomsday econ thread for that conversation. Short version is there's no fail date to look forward to, just a slow decline that periodically speeds up for the hell of it.

E: I'm not sure whether to be insulted at being a coiner, because bitcoin is stupid, or if I'm insulted at bitcoin being called smart.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 28, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

nomad2020 posted:

You'll have to join the Doomsday econ thread for that conversation. Short version is there's no fail date to look forward to, just a slow decline that periodically speeds up for the hell of it.

ok thanks for nothing. thought you Bitcoin guys were smart

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
blockchain

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

blockchain

the most important word of the 21st century

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I use Bitwarden but sometimes wonder how dumb it is having a master password I can easily remember.

from a few pages back but the solution to this is to generate medium-complexity passwords until you get one that you can 'pronounce' in your head. like if you said it out loud to anyone else it'd be complete gibberish that would take them days to work out but it's enough for you to remember it. that's how i do it, at least

You want your master password to be very memorable, and a phrase using words is the best way to do that.

The master password for a good password manager doesn't need to be a giant paragraph of text or something else super-complex. It's fine to be a much shorter phrase than diceware currently recommends, or something using short and common words. "pizza bats are cool" would be fine, even though that's a short phrase with only simple words.

The reason that the password to your password manager can be more simple / shorter than the passwords inside the manager is because they use methods that are much harder to brute-force. If a hacker steals the log-in database of some website, they can often make billions* of attempts per second to guess your password. At that rate you can get any 8-character, lower+upper plus a number and a symbol password in a week or two.
*100s of billions, if the website uses crappy md5 hashing

If a hacker steals your password manager vault, they can't guess that fast because the vault forces a bunch of busy-work math between the password and decryption. Keepass even has a button when you make a new password vault for "make it take 1 full second to unlock on this machine" which is cool (but might mean that unlocking your vault on a phone takes 10 seconds). At 1 guess per second, or even 100 per second, even a fairly simple password is unguessable.

Websites are being encouraged to use harder, less guessable hashing for their log-in methods, but they're never gonna use methods like that because they'd have to buy more hardware to handle 1000s of users logging on. That's why you want a password manager, so your passwords for websites can be 16+ characters of random garbage and your password for the manager is one simple thing you can remember.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
But, coin!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The way 1Password does it, the passwords themselves are encrypted with a 128 bit secret key that's generated on your device when you create your account, and which is never stored by them at all. Your master password controls access to your account, but it's not what the passwords themselves are encrypted with. Every time you login to the manager on a new device, you have to add your secret key yourself.

Even if I straight up gave you all my login info, you'd still have to gain physical access to my devices or brute force a randomized 128 bit key to get access.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

For a matter password I like to use words from movies that end up looking like random characters once initialised.

For example: itlotgdmB&T2

Take some obscure film or TV show and you can easily create a password none will work out.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Khizan posted:

The way 1Password does it, the passwords themselves are encrypted with a 128 bit secret key that's generated on your device when you create your account, and which is never stored by them at all. Your master password controls access to your account, but it's not what the passwords themselves are encrypted with. Every time you login to the manager on a new device, you have to add your secret key yourself.

Even if I straight up gave you all my login info, you'd still have to gain physical access to my devices or brute force a randomized 128 bit key to get access.

But think how secure it would be if it were on the blockchain!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Parkingtigers posted:

jfc bitcoiners are the worst

https://twitter.com/maxkeiser/status/1427280912518025225?s=20

I'm especially sad because I met this clown at a Xmas party a few years back, and I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to wedgie this loving grifter

im assuming nocoiners are the plane

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
hahaha bitcoin projected at 100k nocoiners hahaha

*bitcoin crashes after pump*

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

But think how secure it would be if it were on the blockchain!

he has a point. if it was on the blockchain it would be as secure as bitcoin

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nomad2020 posted:

It's already happened and the money was there, so yes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

I know Bitcoin is worth $40, no 60 no 100 6. gently caress it I cant follow this poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

wait what? What do you think happened?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

wait what? What do you think happened?

There were a shitton of bank closures in the 2008 financial collapse and the FDIC had the money to cover all the accounts in those banks up to $250k, which nomad2020 says there wouldn't be.

Fake edit: sorry, misunderstood him there.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

There were a shitton of bank closures in the 2008 financial collapse and the FDIC had the money to cover all the accounts in those banks up to $250k, which nomad2020 says there wouldn't be.

Fake edit: sorry, misunderstood him there.

I am very confused about who I am arguing with here

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
its my problem not yours

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

do coiners think Bitcoin will be what survives a total collapse of society? the most energy-intensive "currency" ever devised?? If the USD collapses people wont be moving to bitcoin but to bullets and penicillin.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Bullets and Ivermectin, thank you very much

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's a post some pages back where coinzers think they can do some sort of adhoc ham radio network.

then some radio goons gave some interesting radio facts, and then some other nerds gave more reasons why such thing wouldnt really work because real life has certain engineering challenges.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PhazonLink posted:

there's a post some pages back where coinzers think they can do some sort of adhoc ham radio network.

then some radio goons gave some interesting radio facts, and then some other nerds gave more reasons why such thing wouldnt really work because real life has certain engineering challenges.

Just thinking about broadcasting the blockchain on a ham radio network. Who needs it for communication and organizing aid, we have poo poo coins to trade! Not to mention how drat slow it would be.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

kw0134 posted:

Bullets and Ivermectin, thank you very much

One for injectin' into me, one for injectin' into you!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Zil posted:

Just thinking about broadcasting the blockchain on a ham radio network. Who needs it for communication and organizing aid, we have poo poo coins to trade! Not to mention how drat slow it would be.

Ruining one of the ways to communicate in a collapse to mine buttcoin is extremely on brand for the butts

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

tehinternet posted:

Ruining one of the ways to communicate in a collapse to mine buttcoin is extremely on brand for the butts

dudes. this guy gets it

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

do coiners think Bitcoin will be what survives a total collapse of society? the most energy-intensive "currency" ever devised?? If the USD collapses people wont be moving to bitcoin but to bullets and penicillin.

It's a bit like the underpants gnome

Step 1: Fiat currency ends
Step 2: ???
Step 3: My coins are worth something with the collapse of currency

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's a bit like the underpants gnome

Step 1: Fiat currency ends
Step 2: ???
Step 3: My coins are worth something with the collapse of currency

fiat currency is broken. gently caress you I have bitcoin
it's not fiat because I said so

gently caress you

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

fiat currency is broken. gently caress you I have bitcoin
it's not fiat because I said so

gently caress you

Exactly!!!

FIAT currency is based off of imagination, Bitcoin is based on the IMMUTABLE LEDGER (that’s mutable so long as 51% of the network agrees oh and that other 49% can start their own version of the currency).

What is the dollar based on? The United States government which only has control of the largest economy in the history of the world and the largest military?

Thats not even mentioning that fiat currency backed by governments just POOFS more money out of thin air, unlike BitCoin which has the decency to have its supporting currency manufactured by a third party.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

tehinternet posted:

Exactly!!!

FIAT currency is based off of imagination, Bitcoin is based on the IMMUTABLE LEDGER (that’s mutable so long as 51% of the network agrees oh and that other 49% can start their own version of the currency).

What is the dollar based on? The United States government which only has control of the largest economy in the history of the world and the largest military?

Thats not even mentioning that fiat currency backed by governments just POOFS more money out of thin air, unlike BitCoin which has the decency to have its supporting currency manufactured by a third party.

finally someone gets it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

Writing a movie.
Its like The Postman, but its a guy in post-apoc San Franciso delivering block chain updates by hand.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
The Blockhead

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mimesweeper posted:

The Blockhead

I knew Lucy was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The crypto brainworm infected guy at work has pivoted to talking about various upcoming games that will somehow use the blockchain to do things. When I make the mistake of probing him with questions of “How does having ownership on a blockchain better than just on the game company server?” He just spouts some nonsense about the player having more control, and not relying on the company. When I follow up with “What good is a Sword of Awesomeness for a random game, if the game servers are shut down?”, he doesn’t really have a good answer for that.