Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

A functional state could have pulled this off with no notice in a matter of hours. I'm looking at you, China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a buddy of mine had to spend like a year there for work and he once told me about how the people that actually live there fuckin love it

he said they love two things: getting in fights in the bar parking lots, and being proud of living in grand isle

that sounds like all of LA, MS, and AL

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Zil posted:

The thought of flying into a hurricane is scary enough, but to do it at night? That takes balls/ovaries of steel.

the pilots that do this and the aerial firefighting are seriously a cut above, especially since these are usually guard and reserve units who don't have to deal with constant transfers.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a buddy of mine had to spend like a year there for work and he once told me about how the people that actually live there fuckin love it

he said they love two things: getting in fights in the bar parking lots, and being proud of living in grand isle

yeah it rocks. it’s where people from all classes of life can go to a fish rodeo and get insanely debauched together

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lord of Pie posted:

death is preferable to Shreveport

Having lived in Shreveport I can attest that this is a true fact.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

cool that the city of New Orleans spends

*checks*

$204m loving dollars on police, 24% of their budget

can’t get a couple hundred officers (from any of a dozen other municipalities or the state) to man exits?? gently caress thiiiiis

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yes actually, that is the expectation

like you can go look it up for how it went with katrina

quote:

Then came Katrina. On Friday morning, August 26, Katrina was considered mostly a threat to Florida. The eye was just northwest of Key West. Although Louisiana was not a projected target, DOTD began storm preparations. We put emergency personnel on alert status and prepared to immediately clear all evacuation routes. We coordinated pre-staging evacuation activities with State police, and we alerted Mississippi of our intention to implement contraflow if the storm came our way.

At 11 p.m. on Friday, the National Weather Service first mentioned Louisiana as a possible Katrina target. At 7:30 a.m. Saturday, State and local officials coordinated a phased evacuation per the new plan, beginning with residents in the
coastal areas. At approximately 3:30 p.m., contraflow began in conjunction with Phase III of the plan, and a full-scale evacuation was under way.

By the time contraflow ended on Sunday evening, August 28, we had quickly and safely evacuated more than 1.3 million people without significant traffic delays. I am proud of the pre-evacuation results that my agency and the State police achieved during Katrina, but clearly, more could have been done.

which tbf went as smoothly as it did because they hosed it up the first time trying it out the year before with hurricane ivan

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/LukeHattonWX/status/1431818615561416709

:hai:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
hi, dumbass here. what extra data could the plane provide at this point that would change things?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

dude we NEED the data don't ask qeustions

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Gunshow Poophole posted:

*checks*

can’t get a couple hundred officers (from any of a dozen other municipalities or the state) to man exits?? gently caress thiiiiis

Louisiana is corrupt as gently caress so

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Hmm, were I governor I would have told all the police covering the highway jurisdictions to have people ready on call day days ago, and they should be ready to implement the highway closure plan that's been worked out and rehearsed multiple times since Katrina. We can look to the east and see China doing it, this no government can do it nonsense doesn't fly.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Isnt there a goon in that plane?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I got a plan make the 500 cops line up and then drive out and take the exits in their cop cars two cops at a time and then keep rolling until the whole freeway is closed down for contraflow. This may take as long as two hours. Make them maintain radio silence for extra challenge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mola Yam posted:

hi, dumbass here. what extra data could the plane provide at this point that would change things?

I don’t know that it could provide anything actionable for this storm, but it will improve our understanding of meteorological phenomena.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Mola Yam posted:

center fixes from dropsondes so we know if the forecast track is accurate or needs adjustment. pressure gradient readings so we know how wide the wind field is. tons of instrumentation on dynamics that help us understand the processes that cause hurricanes to strengthen and weaken. they provide a shitload of useful data. your tax dollars at work. too bad they have maintenance issues all the time now and have to abort missions.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Hmm, were I governor I would have told all the police covering the highway jurisdictions to have people ready on call day days ago, and they should be ready to implement the highway closure plan that's been worked out and rehearsed multiple times since Katrina. We can look to the east and see China doing it, this no government can do it nonsense doesn't fly.

for real

katrina evacuation got rolling the same goddamn day, they pulled the trigger in the morning and they had it up that afternoon, it is clearly bullshit

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Gunshow Poophole posted:

*checks*

Only 24% of their budget on police? Pffft. Every city in Texas dedicates at least 30% of their budget to the boys in blue.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xvi6GL9Fk

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
will this be the only hurricanes nola will face this year I wonder

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I mean yeah I kind of expect the richest country in the world to be able to pull something like this off in way less than 24 hours.

It's funny how often "but it's haaaaaard!" seems to come up to justify government inaction on matters of safety and public well-being. There should be plans for this kind of thing that are read to go literally at a moment's notice.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

I mean yeah I kind of expect the richest country in the world to be able to pull something like this off in way less than 24 hours.

It's funny how often "but it's haaaaaard!" seems to come up to justify government inaction on matters of safety and public well-being. There should be plans for this kind of thing that are read to go literally at a moment's notice.

Translation: they asked and the cops said no thanks

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Only 24% of their budget on police? Pffft. Every city in Texas dedicates at least 30% of their budget to the boys in blue.

Paradoxish posted:

:911:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

center fixes from dropsondes so we know if the forecast track is accurate or needs adjustment. pressure gradient readings so we know how wide the wind field is. tons of instrumentation on dynamics that help us understand the processes that cause hurricanes to strengthen and weaken. they provide a shitload of useful data. your tax dollars at work. too bad they have maintenance issues all the time now and have to abort missions.

I'm sure the real ones are better, but the training dropsondes I used back in the day were loving worthless. have to throw 3 of them out to even get GPS and wind data lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Why they couldn't get the "contraflow" evacuation routes going:

https://twitter.com/jeremy_hammett/status/1431799332974514176

I know New Orleans specifically has a super hosed police department, but it seems like across the country cops got mobilized real quick to lockdown areas after the George Floyd protests kicked off

Like, towns in Indiana were having barricades put up on interstate off ramps coming from Chicago

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah they just don’t care or want to help it’s p simple

doomed nation

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

gently caress this nerd.

Mola Yam posted:

Central pressure, flight level winds, wind shear in and around the storm. All that poo poo gets fed into the weather models and improves predictability a great deal. Otherwise the only data you have is satellite (which tells you really nothing going on inside the storm, just the view from the top) of if it hits a random buoy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
We could have done it, we just didn't. This mantra can be applied to pretty much any problem plaguing America. We could fix pretty much every issue we have, we just..won't. So death it is then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radirot posted:

will this be the only hurricanes nola will face this year I wonder
If last year is any guide, doubtful

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, if they'd spent time on the roads, they couldn't spend the time preparing for the most important duty after the storm is over!

Stopping "looters." :smith:

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Zil posted:

The thought of flying into a hurricane is scary enough, but to do it at night? That takes balls/ovaries of steel.

you can just say nads as a catch-all

a fatguy baldspot posted:

yeah it rocks. it’s where people from all classes of life can go to a fish rodeo and get insanely debauched together

this is a garbage excuse for a rodeo, I can't find one video of someone seductively riding a fish like a mechanical bull

Tjadeth has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Aug 29, 2021

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

I know this isn't really the point but couldn't they just install gates on all the freeway on ramps that say "closed for Contraflow" and lock them shut? Would take like a dozen police a couple of hours to lock a couple hundred of gates or am I missing something? This seems like one of those problems that can only exist for governments.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

he should know better than to use adsb speeds like that

I’m sure it’s just a datalink or website issue but the complaining is because the current WC-130 in the storm isn’t publishing to the web. the pressure in the eye is going to give us a good idea of how much it’s strengthening

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

the data gathering is a cover for the dangerous mission to precisely hit inside the eye of the hurricane with a proton torpedo and blow it up

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Shear Modulus posted:

the data gathering is a cover for the dangerous mission to precisely hit inside the eye of the hurricane with a proton torpedo and blow it up

it's a plot to drop various forms of bioterrorism on cuba

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol no evac cause cops would need to work

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1431822189020450821

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
has anyone tried smooching the hurricane

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I know this isn't really the point but couldn't they just install gates on all the freeway on ramps that say "closed for Contraflow" and lock them shut? Would take like a dozen police a couple of hours to lock a couple hundred of gates or am I missing something? This seems like one of those problems that can only exist for governments.

You just park sanitation trucks sideways. It takes like 30 minutes to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
You can check out the HH data with low latency here.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/recon/