Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Demon Of The Fall posted:

like 8 out of 10 of the top stories on Washington post are about Afghanistan lol

gotta beat the dead horse here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

like 8 out of 10 of the top stories on Washington post are about Afghanistan lol

makes sense, covid is over but the war can never end

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Palladium posted:

gotta beat the dead horse here

the horse is dead because of the horse paste shortage

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if the news doesn't talk about 2000+ people dying per day then people just won't really notice tbh

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nothus posted:

loving lol of course the chuds are now MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS KILLING US

The down side is when they die at home, they don't count towards the statistics.

the chuds are going to avoid hospitals to stick it to the libs that don't want un-vaccinated to be treated in hospitals

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
silver lining!

if enough people die ; houses and jobs will be available !

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Mom just called. They're already shooting up old people using the 6 month guideline (according to her friend who went in and got her third)

6 months ago is Feb 26

This is in Los Angeles

Got get your parents booked

UPDATE: visiting mom to get her booked

LA’s COVID appointment website says immunocompromised only for third shots as of now 🙄

It’s trivially easy to lie at this point but mom doesn’t want to 🙄

I figure if she gets her third shot in a month and a half it’ll be the ideal time to protect her from the November-January death wave anyways

Her friend who got their third shot already? Her son in law is a doc and just gave it to her 🙄

apologies to anyone who got misled and wasted time trying to book their parents

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 29, 2021

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

no they will all be dead from lack of paste

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

VomitOnLino posted:

Since we're exchanging CRACK/PINGS and other helpful ideas here anyway:

How do you goons deal with your hair?
Mine is so long now I can tie it up into a pony tail which is annoying as gently caress and probably accelerates my male pattern baldness lol.

I'd just use my buzzer to cut it but there's two problems with that:
1) My buzzer is kinda poo poo and gives up half way through - that was fun finding that out in the early days of the pandemic...
2) Even as I eventually managed to complete it manually, I realized that I had a skull shape that makes me look like a cross breed between KZ escapee and potato

I haven't touched it since March 2020, went from an extremely close cut to shoulder length and I actually quite like it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if trump were president he would invoke "P" to manufacture enough horse paste for every man woman and child

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
By the way I just wanted to post this as general FYI apropos nothing.
DO NOT GET YOUR NEWS ABOUT JAPAN FROM ENGLISH JAPANESE NEWS SITES

These articles somehow always end up mysteriously painting a much rosier and chuddier picture of what is actually going on than their still not 100% honest, but better, Japanese language counterparts. This has always sort of been the case and I'm not sure why (Propaganda? Olympics? Attracting foreign workers/tourists? All of the above?) but in recent times the difference between the two has really scissored apart and it's just at mind-boggling (crack pinging) extent now.

To wit (English article):

Dipshit English article posted:

There was good news and bad on the COVID-19 front in Tokyo on Aug. 28. The number of fresh cases continued to fall, but no similar trend was evident in terms of related fatalities or patients suffering serious symptoms.
[...] Fresh cases of infection in the capital on Aug. 28 came to 3,581, a decrease of 1,493 over the previous Saturday. The daily average of cases for the week ending Aug. 28 came to 3,971.3, or 84.2 percent of the figure for the previous week.

Article (English):
https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14428381

Meanwhile in Japanese for the SAME newspaper:

Japanese headline (my translation) posted:

22,754 new confirmed infected nationwide, 2060 seriously ill patients. Highest ever.
It goes on

Japanese article (my translation) posted:

In Tokyo there are 3581 newly confirmed cases and the number of seriously ill people is 297. The number of hospitalized is 4,258 people, both of which is the highest-ever. Of the nineteen freshly announced deaths, three men and women in their 70s and 90s respectively have been vaccinated twice.
Article (Japanese):
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP8X6WZLP8XUTIL004.html?iref=pc_special_coronavirus_top

Another Japanese article, again same newspaper same day:

Japanese headline (my translation) posted:

Is the number of infected in Tokyo finally decreasing? There seem to be no (causative) special circumstances (for this happening)
Article (Japanese, Paywalled):
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP8X6HGNP8XUTIL01J.html?iref=pc_special_coronavirus_top

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ecclesiasticu12/status/1431645721531404292?s=20

Don't worry, it only kills old people

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Annoying to see NZ still going up, at least it was only by 1 case today. What's concerning is that about 1/4 of today's cases were infections from outside the household, mostly in 'essential service' workplaces that are still able to be open under lockdown. Places like food production factories and supermarkets. They're all mandatory masks etc, but those lovely surgical masks only provide some protection and people still take them off to eat lunch etc.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

These articles somehow always end up mysteriously painting a much rosier and chuddier picture of what is actually going on than their still not 100% honest, but better, Japanese language counterparts. This has always sort of been the case and I'm not sure why (Propaganda? Olympics? Attracting foreign workers/tourists? All of the above?) but in recent times the difference between the two has really scissored apart and it's just at mind-boggling (crack pinging) extent now.

Article (English):

It goes on

Article (Japanese):
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP8X6WZLP8XUTIL004.html?iref=pc_special_coronavirus_top

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP8X6HGNP8XUTIL01J.html?iref=pc_special_coronavirus_top

makes sense that the news site named after a beer isn't trustworthy. i don't get my news in america from budweiser.com

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

makes sense that the news site named after a beer isn't trustworthy. i don't get my news in america from budweiser.com

I would trust Budweiser before ANY American news outlet

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Shear Modulus posted:

The Asahi Shimbun which isn't connected to Asahi breweries to my knowledge is one of the more left (liberal) leaning newspapers here.
They however share their English articles with the: Japan Times and the Mainichi Shinbun, despite the Japanese language editorials being very different for the Mainichi (more conservative).

Edit: Asahi is literally just a compound word from the characters for "Morning" and "Day" which kind of makes sense for a morning newspaper. Also there's many more companies named "Asahi" which also have nothing to do with either of the above.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
In the early days of the pandemic I let my hair grow out until it started bothering me. Late one night, after two weeks without setting foot outside my apartment, I was seized by an overwhelming urge to shave my head, having only a few disposable blade razors and a pair of scissors at my disposal. Once the process begins, you can't really back out. A month earlier the light switch in my bathroom had failed, and maintenance refused to do anything about it, so for three hours I sat naked in the dark in my tub, scraping my scalp smooth by feel. I nearly passed out halfway through, from the combination of holding my arms overhead and concentrating so intensely on the task that I found myself holding my breath. Nicked my scalp a few times, and by the end I was covered in loose hair and sheets of my own blood. Touching the bare scalp offered a strange sensation of discovering a previously unknown part of my body.

Better tools and a little practice go a long way. Ordered a razor with a set of guards, and I've been doing my hair with it ever since. I don't think I'll ever go to a barber again. My needs are simple, and I can do the job quickly by myself. The ritual reminds me of that first session every time, though. I'm living in a changed world, and I am changed, too.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

VomitOnLino posted:

Asahi is literally just a compound word from the characters for "Morning" and "Day" which kind of makes sense for a morning newspaper.

so asahi beer is like, a breakfast beer, is what you're saying

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Internet Janitor posted:

In the early days of the pandemic I let my hair grow out until it started bothering me. Late one night, after two weeks without setting foot outside my apartment, I was seized by an overwhelming urge to shave my head, having only a few disposable blade razors and a pair of scissors at my disposal. Once the process begins, you can't really back out. A month earlier the light switch in my bathroom had failed, and maintenance refused to do anything about it, so for three hours I sat naked in the dark in my tub, scraping my scalp smooth by feel. I nearly passed out halfway through, from the combination of holding my arms overhead and concentrating so intensely on the task that I found myself holding my breath. Nicked my scalp a few times, and by the end I was covered in loose hair and sheets of my own blood. Touching the bare scalp offered a strange sensation of discovering a previously unknown part of my body.

Better tools and a little practice go a long way. Ordered a razor with a set of guards, and I've been doing my hair with it ever since. I don't think I'll ever go to a barber again. My needs are simple, and I can do the job quickly by myself. The ritual reminds me of that first session every time, though. I'm living in a changed world, and I am changed, too.

Sounds like a scene from taxi driver tbh

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Foo Diddley posted:

Yes by all means drink beer for breakfast, I mean it's just liquid bread after all.
Just make sure to follow it up with some peanut butter horse paste...

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

god damnit jeet show yourself

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1431833812418375681

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

VomitOnLino posted:

Article (English):

It goes on

Article (Japanese):

lol good to know that the consent manufacturing machine operates in japan too

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I loving love the people who think they are opposing the neoliberal deep state by posting their opposition to vaccine passports and lockdowns in the US.

There are no real vaccine passports or lockdowns. Some expensive social events have had vaccine checks, but those already exclude people by being expensive. It's literally just a policy to reassure people with the time and money to keep up with pandemic news, but are dumb enough to keep partying.

You know when there were lockdowns? Last year after the George Floyd protests happened. They were implemented in hours and had no public debate around it. The state already has all the power. They deploy it to crush social movements for justice.

The capitalist class is loving glad you think COVID is no big deal. They don't want to deal with it. They don't want to subsidize more public health care. They don't care if workers die, they just complain about how those deaths gently caress up hiring and consumer confidence.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Foo Diddley posted:

beer is essentially liquid bread and you eat bread for breakfast, so yes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

restrictions to prevent the spread of a virus that has killed a million people in the country is tyranny

but shutting down a whole city for days because a few high end stores got looted is cool and something we forget about a year later
https://twitter.com/kalebautman/status/1267154098303967232?s=20
https://twitter.com/SarahJindra/status/1267447553366392833?s=20
https://twitter.com/ChicagoOEMC/status/1293679457463439361?s=20

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
thread haircut chat got me to finally rebleach my hair. It's starting to tingle hell yeah.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

jeet joke thief

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

wild isn’t it

Buck Turgidson posted:

So uh... Anyone had any success getting antivax relatives to get the vaccine? Some of my in-laws are antivax, already had some painful conversations with them about vaccines.

if they haven’t gotten it by now I wouldn’t waste my breath but don’t listen to me I’m estranged from half my chud family

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
lori lightfoot loving sucks

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

I loving love the people who think they are opposing the neoliberal deep state by posting their opposition to vaccine passports and lockdowns in the US.

There are no real vaccine passports or lockdowns. Some expensive social events have had vaccine checks, but those already exclude people by being expensive. It's literally just a policy to reassure people with the time and money to keep up with pandemic news, but are dumb enough to keep partying.

You know when there were lockdowns? Last year after the George Floyd protests happened. They were implemented in hours and had no public debate around it. The state already has all the power. They deploy it to crush social movements for justice.

The capitalist class is loving glad you think COVID is no big deal. They don't want to deal with it. They don't want to subsidize more public health care. They don't care if workers die, they just complain about how those deaths gently caress up hiring and consumer confidence.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I still don't fully believe that a lot of the anti-mask, anti-vax thing is organic. I mean it sprang up world-wide and spread quickly across language barriers.
I mean it may have gone the way of "The magicians apprentice" and could have evolved into its own thing, free from its former progenitors and masters.

Personally I feel it just provides too convenient a countervailing force to people demanding their lives and livelihood be protected for me to believe it's organic.

No lockdowns?
Just point at the chuds.

No mask mandate?
Just point at the chuds.

Hospitals full?
Just point at the chuds.

Cases high?
Just point at the chuds.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

empty whippet box posted:

if the news doesn't talk about 2000+ people dying per day then people just won't really notice tbh

yeah, basically

we could easily do 4-5k dead per day (at least for a while) without having bodies in the street, and that's pretty much what it would take for anyone to notice

nobody gives a poo poo or even notices when a new truck shows up at their nearest hospital

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lastgirl posted:

jeet joke thief

how is that take exclusive to c-spam

or even a joke

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Nice respirator.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1431827894414692353?s=20

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol jesus christ
edit seeing the posts about this being an in-network thing now, but still holy gently caress

Tzen fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 29, 2021

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
Friend heard I was having a trash day.

There's a really good hotdog and sandwich place here. Sent me a message, "Check outside, dipshit. Please be sure to give me a thumbs up and don't dial my tip down."

Two of the sammies I normally order.
Dog my wife orders.
Half a lb of their kimchi.
Two Sprites.
0.75 Wedding Cake.
0.25 GSC.
0.5 NoLi.

Little piece of paper on top:
"The Hellworld Special."
"Price, with combo: $hut up and be well$"

Parents didn't knock me around for being curt.
Good time. gently caress, I'm lucky.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VomitOnLino posted:

I still don't fully believe that a lot of the anti-mask, anti-vax thing is organic. I mean it sprang up world-wide and spread quickly across language barriers.
I mean it may have gone the way of "The magicians apprentice" and could have evolved into its own thing, free from its former progenitors and masters.

Personally I feel it just provides too convenient a countervailing force to people demanding their lives and livelihood be protected for me to believe it's organic.

No lockdowns?
Just point at the chuds.

No mask mandate?
Just point at the chuds.

Hospitals full?
Just point at the chuds.

Cases high?
Just point at the chuds.

not sure about masks but

anti-lockdown was absolutely an astroturfed movement paid for by business interests and hiring failed actors from Explore Talent (it started with the Mercers afaik)

antivax movement is mostly driven by the woo-woo wellness industry and MLM health distributors. every major source of antivax misinformation has online stores where they sell supplements

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
everyone is dying

4 yesterday
2 last night
3 today
2 on their way out

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The FBI had the whole anti-lockdown militia movement infiltrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SKULL.GIF posted:

I pinged like a decade ago, been doing pretty well

It's actually really loving interesting to me watching the discourse abruptly shift the past 10 days from "lol, gently caress these control freaks" to ":qq: WHY WON'T THEY CARE :qq: THAT WE'RE DYING??? :qq:" I think we're rapidly approaching a pivot point here

lol, they're just going to keep blaming the nurses as they get ventilated
there's no pity left for the willfully unvaxxed and they hate it