Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

It's better manners to sit and streetdrink* **

*parkdrink

**goons know

gotta sacrifice a pair of airpods to the krunk gods, tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

sale on Banksy art posted:

Shinjuku is an amusement park.

And the metropolitan government building is the funhouse full of clowns

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Last January I booked a trip to Japan for January 2022. How likely is it that the border is going to be opened up by then? It seems like Europe and many other places are opened up now, but I hear Japan is very vaccine-adverse.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Japan at the moment is experiencing a very serious 4th 5th wave and they just had a scare with contaminated Moderna vaccines so all doses are suspended for the time being which will further delay the vaccine roll out.

Edit: Correction: it's 5th wave. Not 4th.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 27, 2021

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

arbybaconator posted:

Last January I booked a trip to Japan for January 2022. How likely is it that the border is going to be opened up by then? It seems like Europe and many other places are opened up now, but I hear Japan is very vaccine-adverse.

We don't actually know how vaccine averse the Japanese population is because not enough vaccines have been distributed yet.

I'm traveling home for Christmas and planning with the assumption that the full border restrictions will still be in place.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the slots at the sdf vaccination centers get filled in minutes or less after opening, so there's definitely still more ppl wanting to get vaccines than there are vaccines.

at this point i'm starting to feel like the "vaccine aversion" narrative is just getting latched onto for it's mildly pejorative flavor by people who are upset their travel plans have been inconvenienced.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
A narrative is definitely being pushed to cover for the slow rollout.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

A narrative is definitely being pushed to cover for the slow rollout.

The vaccine rollout did start slow, but most countries had minimal vaccinations the first few months it was available as distribution issues got sorted out. Vaccination rate has been solid during the summer months. Japan went from 3% fully vaccinated at the end of May then to 42% now. Obviously it remains to be seen if Japan stalls out after 50% like the USA.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

teddust posted:

The vaccine rollout did start slow, but most countries had minimal vaccinations the first few months it was available as distribution issues got sorted out. Vaccination rate has been solid during the summer months. Japan went from 3% fully vaccinated at the end of May then to 42% now. Obviously it remains to be seen if Japan stalls out after 50% like the USA.

Currently, if you have a heart attack in Tokyo, you might simply go on an ambulance ride until you pass away looking for an open hospital bed. If you have a Covid case anything short of total lung failure, you are told to stay at home and hope your condition does not suddenly worsen.

The vaccines are too late. The politicians keep going on TV saying "Young people need to go get vaccinated and we'll get out of this situation." But it's bullshit because every available dose is being snapped up. There is no specific group slowing down the vaccination rate. We are simply too far behind where we need to be to prevent medical collapse.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

teddust posted:

Yeah, it's basically been going as fast, usually faster, than the US and UK were at their peak. There was a lot smirking by the Japan Understanders when they announced that they were aiming for a million doses a day, but they've been doing that consistently for a couple of months now.

Zettace posted:

Japan at the moment is experiencing a very serious 4th 5th wave and they just had a scare with contaminated Moderna vaccines so all doses are suspended for the time being which will further delay the vaccine roll out.

Edit: Correction: it's 5th wave. Not 4th.
It's only one batch of Moderna not all the doses.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It's definitely at the point where demand hasn't caught up with the supply. Most new opening windows for vaccination centers fill up very quickly -- there are still people who haven't had a chance to make a reservation, or even received the coupon needed from their municipality. Yes, even 2+ months since the government threw the doors open to under-65s to get vaccinated.

Whether this rate will be enough to allow for any overseas tourists to come in is really a big question. Only guidance I can go by are some international sporting events, which I'm seeing canceled through early-mid November because of this really uncertain situation.

arbybaconator posted:

I would start lining up how to cancel your reservations and get money back, honestly.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I am certain this question has already come up but what's the status on COVID in Japan and the ETA for when they'll let foreigners back in? I was looking to go to Tokyo meet up with friends currently teaching in South Korea (one is currently double-vaxxed, the other just got her first shot) sometime in March/April of next year, or if it came to it, the fall.

I've been to Tokyo, Kyoto and Nagoya four years ago.

v like right after making this post

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 27, 2021

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I am certain this question has already come up but what's the status on COVID in Japan and the ETA for when they'll let foreigners back in? I was looking to go to Tokyo meet up with friends currently teaching in South Korea (one is currently double-vaxxed, the other just got her first shot) sometime in March/April of next year, or if it came to it, the fall.

I've been to Tokyo, Kyoto and Nagoya four years ago.

Did you read the post above yours?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Currently, if you have a heart attack in Tokyo, you might simply go on an ambulance ride until you pass away looking for an open hospital bed.

To be fair, this has been the case since at least 2012 when I got to Japan. Hospitals turn people away with some regularity, it seems.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan is a week or so away from passing the US in vaccinations. If they keep up this current rate, they should pass 70% sometime in Sept. I'd guess that once there they might start talking about allowing visitors based on certain factors. But even then, I wouldn't be shocked if they required quarantine for any arrivals, even if they are vaccinated.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan is a week or so away from passing the US in vaccinations. If they keep up this current rate, they should pass 70% sometime in Sept. I'd guess that once there they might start talking about allowing visitors based on certain factors. But even then, I wouldn't be shocked if they required quarantine for any arrivals, even if they are vaccinated.

What part of "medical system collapse" is hard for you guys to understand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stop being mean to mai waifu, banksy!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Q1. When will tourists be allowed to visit Japan again?
A: Nobody knows, but probably not in 2021.

Q2. Will quarantine be required for vaccinated people?
A: Probably. The covid vaccines don't prevent you from carrying covid, it reduces your risk of life-threatening symptoms.

Everyone here for the Olympics/Paralympics does daily PCR tests.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
That info should be in the firstpost/OP/sticky along with how to buy a cellphone and a link to gaijin smash.

edit: and a rice cooker.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ok

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Can I get delivery from family mart if im in quarantine

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Yep.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stringent posted:

Me and my boyfriend are are both vegans and allergic to rice and on a very tight budget, could you recommend some restaurants in Tottori?

Thanks!

How did this turn out

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LyonsLions posted:

How did this turn out

oh it was fine, we just went to mcdonalds

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

here was a lot smirking by the Japan Understanders when they announced that they were aiming for a million doses a day, but they've been doing that consistently for a couple of months now.

Several thousand young people lined up in 34 degree heat for 350 doses in Shibuya today. Does that sound like a system that is working?

-Signed a Japan Understander to a Dumb loving oval office

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Several thousand young people lined up in 34 degree heat for 350 doses in Shibuya today. Does that sound like a system that is working?

Sounds like one of them should have been in line for anger management instead.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I take it Japan has not figured out a sufficient booking system to avoid such queues, or was this more of a one time thing caused by the doses that they had to discard?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Bofast posted:

I take it Japan has not figured out a sufficient booking system to avoid such queues, or was this more of a one time thing caused by the doses that they had to discard?

The crunch isn't related to the tainted doses. You get a coupon in the mail with instructions to log in to your local booking system, which almost invariably shows no available slots, or gives you slots two months in the future. Maybe you call your local clinic with similar results.

Then you turn on the news and the governor of Tokyo blames your vaccination status on hesitancy.

It's been like this the whole time.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 29, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

One of my Japanese friends managed to get a vax appointment in October and is pretty stoked. Hope she doesn't get delta before that.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
No turning back now!

Looking forward to however many hours this is gonna take after I land.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bofast posted:

probably has something to do with the US hoarding vaccines that will never be used like a drat dragon out of a tolkein novel

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

probably has something to do with the US hoarding vaccines that will never be used like a drat dragon out of a tolkein novel

I thought the Moderna version was being produced locally? Only Pfizer being flown in?

Either way,

You get a coupon in the mail with instructions to log in to your local booking system, which almost invariably shows no available slots, or gives you slots two months in the future. Maybe you call your local clinic with similar results.

Then you turn on the news and the governor of Tokyo blames your vaccination status on hesitancy.

It's been like this the whole time.

The coupon rollout has been slow, the vaccination slots have been deliberate, and the best idea they had - allowing big companies to get in on the act and vaccinate employees and also possibly family - was so popular they had to pull it back a bit because of supply issues.

I’m two weeks clear of shot #2 and I can’t wait for more people to get both too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

I thought the Moderna version was being produced locally? Only Pfizer being flown in?

honestly i just thought baselessly accusing the US of being the problem was the appropriate response

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Mate I remember when you posted some vaccine numbers two months ago that showed the demand was cratering because you didn't understand that numbers get backdated every day. Ironically at that time you were trying to prove that the Japanese are super vaccine adverse and didn't want to get vaccinated, so you might not want to go around calling people dumb.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

harperdc posted:

the best idea they had - allowing big companies to get in on the act and vaccinate employees and also possibly family - was so popular they had to pull it back a bit because of supply issues.
Yeah I think this is pretty indicative of just massively underestimating demand. Although I'm not sure if prefectures are thinking about increasing capacity or even care now that 90% of the olds have been vaccinated.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yeah I think this is pretty indicative of just massively underestimating demand. Although I'm not sure if prefectures are thinking about increasing capacity or even care now that 90% of the olds have been vaccinated.

they absolutely want domestic tourism at least to pick back up

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can't wait for the September holiday spike.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I think Japan is doing just fine. They may have gotten started more slowly than other places, but AFAIK, that is because the government wanted to make sure things were safe before getting going. And until a few months back, the outbreaks had been small and quickly subsided. It's unfortunate that things have gotten bad over the past couple months.

Still, at the rate they are going, they will blow past the US very soon.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The US is a pretty low bar tbh, probably should've used coupons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
So who here has experience having to do a quarantine in a government paid hotel. Seems like depending on which country you come from, you have a 0, 3, 6, or 14 day forced quarantine in a hotel + the mandatory 14 day stay at home quarantine.