Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Waffle House posted:

would anything smg meta be killing things in TD range?

Threat detector is like 15m and lower I think? So perfectly fine for shotguns, sidearms, and smgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Threat Detector is a low key powerful perk for SMGs and Shotguns in PvP

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did they nerf the drop rate?? I'm feeling the sting but I figured it's because I always have 150 season bux to spend on a focus

Also it's bugging me that the Season of the Hunt/Chosen/Splicer focuses say they contain Two Weapons but they actually contain 1, from the whole pool which is much greater than 2

You get the second gun when you convert the engram at the little kiosk. It’s definitely worded oddly but it’s technically the truth.Just tested it.

Does anyone know where we can get. Full list of like the loot tables for different activities? I can find the general items but it doesn’t do a great job of breaking down things by activity or by what’s sunset.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mrfreezewarning posted:

Does anyone know where we can get. Full list of like the loot tables for different activities? I can find the general items but it doesn’t do a great job of breaking down things by activity or by what’s sunset.

Between the Scatterhorn sets being reissued last season and the Opulent sets being reissued this season and seeing no sign of either, I’d be interested in this also.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mrfreezewarning posted:

You get the second gun when you convert the engram at the little kiosk. It’s definitely worded oddly but it’s technically the truth.Just tested it.

The world pool is the generic loot pool that anything starts with.

Banshee gives world lootpool guns

Rahool gives world lootpool loot

Zavala gives world lootpool + Armor pieces (if you do the weekly challenges to unlock each piece of armor)

Drifter gives world lootpool + Armor pieces (if you do the weekly challenges to unlock each piece of armor)

Shaxx gives world lootpool + Armor pieces (if you do the weekly challenges to unlock each piece of armor)

Hunt gives hunt lootpool stuff, focused by the cryptolith lure

Battlegrounds gives one chosen lootpool, one world lootpool (smashy chest + regular chest)

Splicer gives one splicer, one world (vextech chest + regular chest), Expunge gives, once upgraded, 3 pieces of splicer loot with high statrolls or augmented perk slots

Lost gives one lost, one world (ascendant chest, regular chest), with shattered giving only lost engrams

Strikes are world loot + possibility at strike-specific weapons + possibility of nightfall specific guns

Crucible is world loot + possibility at crucible weapons

Trials is world loot (per match) + rewards from the trials pool

Gambit is world loot + possibility of gambit weapons

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

None of this answers where the gently caress do I farm a seventh seraph officer revolver :mad:

I farmed the poo poo out of that when it was still available in arrivals and didn't get a single good roll :negative:

Waffle House posted:

I have really old perk habits in this game. One for all? Nah. Underdog/Rangefinder? YEAHHHH

I found it, the mythical Person Who Uses Underdog

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think officer revolver HAD any really good rolls tbh...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

muike posted:

I don't think officer revolver HAD any really good rolls tbh...

(it doesn't, I just want a 180 with timed payload for pvp trolling reasons)

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Maaaan I really dont like the second BL story boss, he seems like the one trap person from Forsaken, but somehow more of an rear end in a top hat. The Warlock stasis power is fine I guess, I prefer my kamehameha beam of death honestly.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

victrix posted:

(it doesn't, I just want a 180 with timed payload for pvp trolling reasons)

then proceed, you bastard

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Sekenr posted:

How can threat detector be useful if you are any good at shooting creatures
The season's new bow can roll with Threat Detector & Cornered, which is like how some old Sniper Rifles could roll with Hipfire Grip & Moving Target or Rangefinder & Fourth Time's the Charm.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mrfreezewarning posted:

Are you sure about this? I just focused 8 Umbrals into Season of the Splicer guns, receives 8 guns, and no longer have any engrams

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Let me give you an example why this game sucks for the casual player. I come back to check new stuff out right? First night ok. Second night Im back, looking at my quest log figuring out what to do. So I pick Legacy:As Prophesized. Looks like Im on step 3, defend the Last City. Ok, track quest and the game says Waypoint Added, highlighted on your map. Ok good! Go to map, MAP NOT AVAILABLE HERE. Oh of course, I get it, in orbit, no map, look for Last City on Destinations. There is no such destination. Getting a bit frustrated at this point. Looking at descriptions and, wait, The Tower is the Last City? Ok that kinda makes sense. Go there. Ok...Tracked Activity not at this destination it says. At this point Im like, gently caress this there are four other games I could be playing right now.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if stuff like that is just broken as gently caress, not at all.
To be fair, I do like most of the changes to the shader/cosmetic system. But of course you have to grind missions to unlock looks, because Bungie.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 29, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I’m returning from shadowkeep and it’s insane how little this game actually does to explain… anything? Like my ghosts can be upgraded now and have mods. Also all armor have mods (I somewhat knew this) then I have a gently caress ton of quests to do. You can now grab bounties from anywhere (while in orbit and on your phone).The game itself is suggesting I use DIM! And to really get the most of DIM, here’s a google spreadsheet updated monthly that’ll filter out good rolls on your gear based on how far you are.

Who the gently caress actually puts up with this poo poo. How did this ever become ok.

I mean I’m loving all the content I’m clearing now and I’ll hit the soft cap tomorrow but I’m terms of game to gameplay the amount of poo poo you’re expected to know and manage outside of the game is straight up inanity.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well, at least voice coms between Xbox and pc are easy enough. Just use the Xbox app and make a party.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I’m returning from shadowkeep and it’s insane how little this game actually does to explain… anything?

I really want to expand on this because holy poo poo is it true.

Just to start I love the game so far and I'm having a blast but the amount of time I need to spend googling or asking discord about poo poo is absolutely ridiculous.

One of the core tenants of game design are to make it so the player doesn't need to leave the game to figure something basic out. There are so many things that are flat out never explained in anyway.

A good quick example is something like enhancement prisms. I needed one so I could spend my exotic cipher but no where does it say where you actually get them from. A quick google reveals quite a few pages dedicated where to get them which obviously means I'm not the only one who couldn't figure this poo poo out they could have a UI element which shows how / where to obtain the things you need without me needing to google it.

Another one is I was doing an EDZ quest that asked me to go to 3 different locations but there were no waypoints so again I had to google it and again there were loads of sites / videos telling me what actually needed to be done.

The game is great despite these things but drat I don't know how you'd introduce someone new and expect them not to be lost in the sauce. If you can power your way though it, its amazing though.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah I have loved a lot of aspects of this game since Destiny 1 but, there is a certain aspect of the design that is intensely user-unfriendly, and it seems like they have leaned into that as the years have gone by. If you operate a GAAS you want to make it easy as possible to suck in retuning players and get them to buy like, the season pass. I come back to this game and it's so loving confusing the last thing on my mind is paying for anything. It seems designed to cater to a core group of dedicated players but they seem to always be complaining about some thing or another so on some kind of base level this game is not satisfying to new/returning players nor longtime dedicated players in one way or another. I think the core Destiny design team has been so entrenched in the weird overall design aspect of this game that they totally get it, but don't get how a new, or relapsed player who hasn't played for like a year or two, is dumped into this completely baffling game environment, really unlike any other game.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 29, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Bungie makes some really insane desigb choices sometimes, like why isnt there a group finder in a multiplayer game so I have to use the stupid phone app?
Or no voice chat?
Like this is basic functionality most games like this have, what the hell.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

DreadUnknown posted:

Or no voice chat?

There's voice chat.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Last I played was the season Europa stuff first was released. I'm going back doing some of the stasis quests and find that the waypoints randomly just disappear. I'll be following one, kill a few things, then it's no where to be found. I end up doing the same thing of finding some youtube video and following where they go to then see the thing I need to shoot that previously had a waypoint on it.

This game seems really well crafted for the daily grind type players who eventually catch up to having everything done quickly in a season. Then when the next one comes out or some big new update they're happy to figure out the new stuff and changes. For those like me, though, it just hugely overwhelms everything and I often feel like I'm playing a different game than everyone else since I haven't learned what really works best in the game compared to what I figured out sorta works for me casually.

I still enjoy what I can do, though, mostly, when it gets all chaotic and you're jumping all around to manage adds and boss stuff and somehow live through it to then run around and collect 10 things that you'll likely dismantle later.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

DreadUnknown posted:

Bungie makes some really insane desigb choices sometimes, like why isnt there a group finder in a multiplayer game so I have to use the stupid phone app?
Or no voice chat?
Like this is basic functionality most games like this have, what the hell.

Kujay put up a video a while back pointing out that it is actually insanely obvious to make the HELM a spot for this. It's a private but joinable social area with a postmaster and a vault as well as any active seasonal bounty boards. They could turn that little kiosk Caiatl broadcasted to during Chosen into the console for it. People join your LFG, they fly into your HELM where they can get their loadout in order, bing bong done.

As for picking up the game... I played last spring just enough to get two Worthy ranks, said gently caress it, went back to finishing D1 campaigns and didn't come back until halfway through Arrivals when I heard about sunsetting. At that point I was spending half of any game time digging through reddit posts and kotaku articles trying to figure out how the gently caress anything worked. I doubt I would have stuck with it without here and Reddit to help because god drat is this game punishingly opaque.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

PERMACAV 50 posted:

because god drat is this game punishingly opaque.

And how does Bungie not realize this? Is there some internal thing where they enjoy being so high on their own farts? Is it design decisions that have burrowed them so far down the rabbit hole over the years that they feel they have no other option but to continue on this mad path? But this is a loving business, how does management not see how ridiculous this all is for new and returning players?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Their metrics must be telling them it’s better to put time and effort into new content and not guiding new/returning players.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Bungie don't seem terribly interested in providing in-game tutorials or better experiences for new players because they more or less assume you'd be lurking the subreddit or asking around on twitter/here.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've been playing this game an embarrassing amount since last July and I STILL have no idea how to make like half the public events go heroic.* poo poo, there are a couple Dreaming City PEs that I barely understand in their regular forms. I can't really get too mad at pubbies for not getting it because heroic public events are literally not explained anywhere in the game and yet we now have challenges every season to Do Heroic Public Events. Can something not show up in the kill feed or somewhere, just a little blurb like "HEROIC: pick up arc charges and deposit them next to the scorch cannons" or whatever? Or can public events just be heroic or regular, maybe a 30% chance to be heroic? There's got to be a solution better than to be constantly fighting against your alleged allies to dunk a ball.

*yes I have looked it up. it's stupid and I barely ever do the DC or Nessus ones so I can never remember.

edit- i just realized that the current mechanic could be considered "putting it to a vote" which is nice and all but the problem remains that an enormous chunk of the playerbase, again, has zero idea how HPEs work

yes heroic public events are my stupid little destiny hill to die on, even the dumbest clown skyboxer casuals are expected to engage with them and the game does not even attempt to explain what they are or that the players are in charge of making them happen at all, let alone how to do that

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 29, 2021

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

Bungie don't seem terribly interested in providing in-game tutorials or better experiences for new players because they more or less assume you'd be lurking the subreddit or asking around on twitter/here.

I guess this is some new meta-design philosophy for GAAS but really this "go figure it out" idea is always going to limit their playerbase because there are just too many options out there that are immediately more satisfying and intuitive. For as much flak as Fortnite gets from certain sectors, I got back into it because of my daughter and, it is immediately clear what your dollar gets you for the season pass, quests etc are clear what you need to do, I'm not even really a pvp player but it's sucked me in for the moment to moment gameplay and feeling of constant progression. Destiny could be a more "serious" version of this with more PvE but... but. I love this weird Sci Fi universe they have created but the foundation of how their game is structured is just bonkers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"go figure it out" is a GAAS design principle that works pretty well at socially engineering community formation. I don't think Bungie did it on purpose here but pretending that it limits their playerbase is just, wrong.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Eej posted:

I don't think Bungie did it on purpose here but pretending that it limits their playerbase is just, wrong.

Do you think? I figure with SO many options for other games to play this kind of gatekeeping is just going to lose so many potential players.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AcidCat posted:

For as much flak as Fortnite gets from certain sectors, I got back into it because of my daughter and, it is immediately clear what your dollar gets you for the season pass, quests etc are clear what you need to do,

I play Fortnite quite a bit as well and it should be the gold standard on how you structure stuff. Obviously ​Destiny has a lot more systems but the core of it is so simple to pick up that anyone can do it and feel like they've made progress and not feel like they are spinning their wheels. Everything in Fortnite shows up as a nice clean list that you quickly and easily know what you need to do to finish the quest.

Like even getting the daily quests for activities is a pain because you can access the gambit from the directors screen but you have to go to the tower and talk to the drifter to get the quests before you start it. It seems like an extra needless step if you just wanna shoot some mans.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Like even getting the daily quests for activities is a pain because you can access the gambit from the directors screen but you have to go to the tower and talk to the drifter to get the quests before you start it. It seems like an extra needless step if you just wanna shoot some mans.

Thing is, Destiny has always worked like this, right back in D1 everyone had to do the tower runs to get quests/bounties before you did activities, I can see how new players would find this irritating but to the core audience, this is just how it has always been and so its something you do automatically.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AcidCat posted:

Do you think? I figure with SO many options for other games to play this kind of gatekeeping is just going to lose so many potential players.

Yeah way back in the day when gacha games started exploding, Gungho did a GDC thing where they talked about how they withheld game mechanic information in Puzzle and Dragon on purpose to encourage players to figure it out themselves and talk to each other to create communities. Everyone's been riffing on that ever since.

International Billion Dollar Franchise Genshin Impact has a ton of unexplained mechanics even though they throw the numbers right in your face and look how much money they're raking in. You don't need to explain things anymore as long as you have a dedicated community to do the explaining for you.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MarcusSA posted:

I play Fortnite quite a bit as well and it should be the gold standard on how you structure stuff. Obviously ​Destiny has a lot more systems but the core of it is so simple to pick up that anyone can do it and feel like they've made progress and not feel like they are spinning their wheels. Everything in Fortnite shows up as a nice clean list that you quickly and easily know what you need to do to finish the quest.

You can pick up bounties from the official app now (except Petra's for some reason).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PERMACAV 50 posted:

You can pick up bounties from the official app now (except Petra's for some reason).

lol are you serious?

I've never actually used the app but I guess I should start.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
D2 is clearly a game just for its existing players and as one goon pointed out earlier, Bungie's seen the metrics and it obviously works out well for them. On Steam, the deluxe+anniversary preorder is the #1 top seller. The game isn't really shedding players.

I think the goons who have said that part of the experience is finding things out via external communities and interactions makes a good point too, it's a relatively new phenomenon in games but it's a thing that shouldn't be dismissed. The game even tells you to check out third party apps and communities now. When I logged into season 15 for the first time, I was told to go see DIM and reddit, that sort of thing.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 29, 2021

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Eej posted:

International Billion Dollar Franchise Genshin Impact has a ton of unexplained mechanics even though they throw the numbers right in your face and look how much money they're raking in. You don't need to explain things anymore as long as you have a dedicated community to do the explaining for you.

Hmm, It would seem to me that this rides a fine line between that feeling of, "oh this is cool, I'm figuring out stuff by engaging with the community for this game" and " gently caress this has tried my patience I'm off to game X instead", surely the bean counters above my paygrade have calculated these trajectories.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It doesn't matter if its FTP players bouncing one bit as far as the accountants are concerned.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

multiple companies and games in the same space have explicitly said that putting time and effort into tutorials and NPE is a waste of time, relative to the retention gain they see from the money and time invested

*if* the game has an otherwise helpful and active community (which destiny very much does)

all that said, if you're a goon, join the overchill discord, ask questions, and party up. vets love sharing their love with newbies, and they'll help you learn whatever you're interested in

also, critically, for a lot of content you absolutely do not need to min max or fully understand anything. open world and a lot of quest content is tuned so you can complete it with unmodified blues and two primary weapons

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

victrix posted:

also, critically, for a lot of content you absolutely do not need to min max or fully understand anything. open world and a lot of quest content is tuned so you can complete it with unmodified blues and two primary weapons

raids are also balanced around this, assuming you can coordinate and follow instructions. sure, it'll take longer than a team with optimized loadouts if everyone is equipped with basic arms and armor, but it's all 100% doable with gear you can pick up from the cosmodrome. hell, people have done multiple low-gear raid runs to prove it - i think the "lowest quality" record is doing Last Wish with all white gear + a green rocket launcher (since there is no white rarity heavy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Provided the game is low-stakes and doesn't have massive penalties for getting killed, I don't mind finding stuff out on my own tbh.