Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

becoming able to repair my own gear has been a game changer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Why is that system in the game? Like what does it accomplish for the mechanics or narrative?

I'm not opposed to durability being in games in general (it's very good in STALKER, for example), it's just so trivial in FFXIV that it's baffling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
those systems exist to drain money from the economy, same as things like auction house fees

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Regalingualius posted:

Hildibrand’s questlines (starting with his assistant in Ul’dah)

I'm on this now, and It's one of the goofiest things I've ever seen.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Countblanc posted:

those systems exist to drain money from the economy, same as things like auction house fees

I know that, but gently caress it. Just get rid of durability and raise AH fees 10% or something.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Durability made sense in early WoW and probably earlier games I didn’t play. When money is hard to come buy and repair cost more than a nuisance, it gives the players motivation to limit the amount of players dying on each encounter and a natural point to give up for,the night when you keep failing.

I’m not convinced that ever applied to this game. Money is easy to come by and repair cost are cheap. Maybe in 1.0?

They should just get rid of it. Having to find a mender every time I want to dump some glamours in my dresser isn’t engaging gameplay.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I mainly dislike clicking at the mender to set it to each armoury tab to repair after playing multiple classes or upgrading gear. I wish there was a flat repair everything on me button.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
About the one useful thing durability does in FF14 is give people a nudge towards trying out crafters. It's 99% a legacy thing that's there because MMOs were supposed to have durability in 2010.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
At this point the repair fees are such a minor gil drain (given crafters don't even have to spend gil on dark matters if they want to get them with GC seals instead) it wouldn't surprise me if they remove gear durability as one less variable to store and track. It's like how FF14 had accuracy as a stat until 4.0, because WoW and other MMOs of the era did as well.

The 6.0/Endwalker live letter, job actions trailer and system changes stream is set for September 18th, so if they are going to nuke durability, that's when we'll find out.

If it's not like, load-bearing code, Square is absolutely a dev that will look at systems and change or remove them if it's ultimately in service of streamlining or improving the game. Stats and combat in the 2.x era are fairly dramatically different in the modern day. Materia extraction used to outright destroy the item, rather than just resetting the soulbind to 1%.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 28, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You also had skill points that you could assign to specific stats as you leveled up, which they axed at some point. And elemental resistances. Boilerplate mechanics that didn't really add anything, I remember hearing that someone experimented with stacking as much lightning resistance as possible and fighting Ramuh, but they couldn't even tell the difference.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

1.0 did a number on this game and we're still dealing with the consequences.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Not just 1.0 but different, earlier visions for the game in 2.x. At some point, cross-class skills were considered a selling point and something that would be developed with future jobs starting from the existing classes like arcanist.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Leveling lancer all through the boring 111111111 spam for like 25 levels just to get raging strikes killed my interest in the job for years.

Old low level lancer was even more boring than it is now.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so i dled the free trial and it wants a cd key and all three keys it gave me come up as already used

what the gently caress

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Sunday Morning posted:

Leveling lancer all through the boring 111111111 spam for like 25 levels just to get raging strikes killed my interest in the job for years.

Old low level lancer was even more boring than it is now.

All classes are kinda boring at low levels though. Since you are already lvl 25, just keep going a little more and you'll get the iconic dragoon ability, Jump at lvl 30 which is great.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Just started Heavensward and got a good chuckle at Alphinaud insisting he would only use the cert verifying them as Wards of the local lord as a last resort, and my WoL just whips it out to the first person she’s introduced to

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

shoc77 posted:

All classes are kinda boring at low levels though. Since you are already lvl 25, just keep going a little more and you'll get the iconic dragoon ability, Jump at lvl 30 which is great.

This was eight years ago. Lancer was literally put up full thrust buff and then spam impulse drive until the buff ran out. I went back to the job ages ago and it's fun but getting raging strikes back in the day was a chore.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sunday Morning posted:

This was eight years ago. Lancer was literally put up full thrust buff and then spam impulse drive until the buff ran out. I went back to the job ages ago and it's fun but getting raging strikes back in the day was a chore.

Raging Strikes was an archer action. You're thinking of invigorate probably.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You're right misremembered raging strikes for blood for blood.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Also DRG invigorate was traited so we basically had more TP than the other jobs that also needed it (it's to balance DRGs dying you see).

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Repair costs were a HUGE problem in 2.0. The game was deflationary on launch because there was essentially a set amount of gil a player could ever earn (and it was low, something like 350k) and repairs would continuously drain this. After adding the challenge log and gil drops from enemies the games economy then became inflationary and that's why repairs are a pointless trivial annoyance now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just did the yearly event quest to get the parasol, is there anything else I can do tied to it?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

Repair costs were a HUGE problem in 2.0. The game was deflationary on launch because there was essentially a set amount of gil a player could ever earn (and it was low, something like 350k) and repairs would continuously drain this. After adding the challenge log and gil drops from enemies the games economy then became inflationary and that's why repairs are a pointless trivial annoyance now.

That makes sense, considering I finished all the 2.c stuff with more than double that old cap.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Regalingualius posted:

I just did the yearly event quest to get the parasol, is there anything else I can do tied to it?

You can buy fireworks, including more of the new flower effect one, from the vendor by the stage, but other than that, no, you're good for the year.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Regalingualius posted:

you can buy awesome consumable fireworks and noisemakers and champagne bottles from the vendor near stage in ul'dah for gil

e;fb

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Events in this game are so weird. I'm used to f2p games where events are the way to get you to engage and play the game, but I suppose in this case the base content is compelling enough that events can afford to be quick little bonuses for cute rewards, instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alxprit posted:

Events in this game are so weird. I'm used to f2p games where events are the way to get you to engage and play the game, but I suppose in this case the base content is compelling enough that events can afford to be quick little bonuses for cute rewards, instead.

Thank God. They're flavor accents rather than major grinds. Aside from occasionally needing ("needing") to get all the Yokai weapons or something.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I wish they were a little more intensive, like ok I don't want to do the same thing every day for 20 days out of 30 for a reward, I have Star Trek Online for that, but I would like a little more than just 15 minutes once. Maybe have me do something three times?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jpmeyer posted:

What so like money only came from quests and you couldn't even sell things? That's insane

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I returned after years of not playing and I'm about halfway through Heavensward atm. It's kind of a bummer that Endwalker is right around the corner and it comes with the previous expansions included, but pre-ordering it doesn't grant you immediate access to the expansions. I can't justify paying full price for an expansion that's going to be free in two months V:unsmith:V. I guess I'll just wait until that thing is out to play proper.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
There's lots of side stuff to keep you occupied for a few months. Level a few jobs to 60, try and get the fishing mount with ocean fishing, dabble in crafting and gathering, level up your gc squadron and get the achievement emotes, there's a bunch of content in this game that doesn't require an 80 job to enjoy. You can probably pass these few months pretty easy.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Is there a quick n' easy guide to squadron content? I tried it for a bit but it seemed a little intimidating for not much reward, but I might as well try and earn those last lousy promotions

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Some events are more intensive (the FFXV crossover is about an hour of cutscenes, fates and a duty), but in general they save the bigger grinds for external collaborations like Yokai Watch. The Rising is just the annual ARR anniversary and a nice little thank you to the players.

Usually if events involve fates or duties you can do them extra times for additional rewards.

In general though an hour is more than enough time to clear the event and get what you want, which is generally a low stress fun time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Typically the longer the event runs, the more complicated it is. The GARO PVP event lasted for years but involved collecting full armor sets and weapons for each job by grinding up Wolf Marks, meanwhile The Rising lasts like an hour and gets you a parasol and some fireworks and is around for two weeks or so.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Alxprit posted:

Is there a quick n' easy guide to squadron content? I tried it for a bit but it seemed a little intimidating for not much reward, but I might as well try and earn those last lousy promotions

This is a pretty good text guide to squadrons

For the very basics of it, just keep running missions. It's worth running a few 1 hour training sessions from the roster board on the wall to pump up your stats. Just try and meet 2 of the stat requirements. If you can get 3 that's great but 2 is enough to at least try the mission and your squad gains xp even if they fail. You will fail but just keep trying and you'll level up. The special missions that come up a few times require all 3 stats to pass and you'll need to outlevel the quest by a bit so if you can't do it when you first get the mission just keep leveling. Basically keep pumping time and seals into it and you'll get there.

For actually running the dungeons with your squad the link above can give you some tips, but getting the achievements and the emotes from them is pretty simple if you cherry-pick which dungeons you run with them.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Regy Rusty posted:

What so like money only came from quests and you couldn't even sell things? That's insane

You personally could make money on the market board back in 2.0, but again that's still deflationary since the auction fees would eat into the gil being transferred.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

There was gil coming in from *checks notes* leves :geno:

Also legacy servers had a bunch of olde money from the before times.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One of my persistent memories of 2.0 was being level 50 and slowly bleeding cash as I beat my head against Titan (Hard).

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I'm in the post-ARR events and got started on a Red Mage. I'm chalking up the fact that it gets a freebie ~80ish iLevel gear set to start with, as opposed to the 45ish my BLM has, as why it feels so much stronger.

Decided to get serious with my Botany/Weaver jobs and holyFUCK putting in the effort to make HQ gear for triple turn-in guildleves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Duodecimal posted:

I'm in the post-ARR events and got started on a Red Mage. I'm chalking up the fact that it gets a freebie ~80ish iLevel gear set to start with, as opposed to the 45ish my BLM has, as why it feels so much stronger.

Decided to get serious with my Botany/Weaver jobs and holyFUCK putting in the effort to make HQ gear for triple turn-in guildleves.

"Figuring out" crafting and being able to consistently turn in HQ items for leves and GC turn ins was a big revalation.

e: Also the Ixal Beast Tribe quests are all crafting focused and a good source of crafting exp

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 29, 2021