Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

From's undying need to insert a blighttown-like in every game aside, surely we can all agree that Lost Bastille is the worst area in the whole franchise? God its so annoying with little payoff of any sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

codo27 posted:

From's undying need to insert a blighttown-like in every game aside, surely we can all agree that Lost Bastille is the worst area in the whole franchise? God its so annoying with little payoff of any sort.

:confused: lost bastille is one of the better areas in the game

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

codo27 posted:

Are you thinking of Earthen Peak?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're both mad

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Its the most rewarding area in the game, to the point where the lost sinner is the first great soul I kill on every single new run just because of how good the loot on the way there is

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Bastille owns wtf

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bastille is nothing like Blighttown, come on now

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

codo27 posted:

surely we can all agree that Lost Bastille is the worst area in the whole franchise?

We cannot

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lost Bastille was one of the only good zones in release DS2, but it’s ugly tho

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
So what actually is peoples' least favourite area in Souls 2? Black Gulch? Harvest Valley?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Raylax posted:

So what actually is peoples' least favourite area in Souls 2? Black Gulch? Harvest Valley?

IMO Black Gulch, like Sinner’s Rise, doesn’t really deserve to be considered a whole area. It’s like the x-3 zones in DeS or Crystal Cave in DS1, an appendage to the main zone that is basically just a short run up to the branch end boss with a couple small side bits.

As for the rest take your pick really.

Harvest Valley is ugly and boring
Amana is pretty but infuriating and tedious
Heide is the series’ biggest waste of a skybox
Frozen Outskirts is a joke (ditto Cave of the Dead and Iron Passage but at least they’re shorter)
Both the rat zones are complete poo poo

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 28, 2021

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Shrine of Amana is pretty but has to be up there for the frustration factor. Same with Black Gulch.

I've heard plenty of people diss Harvest Valley, especially traversal-wise (in that you can skip the vast majority of the area), but I think it's at least a halfway decent twist on the poison swamp tendency.

Pretty much, I think almost all of DS2's areas are both the best and the worst in the series, simultaneously. Schrodinger's Soulsborne.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Harvest valley is the least bad poison area in any souls game, but alas its still tedious as hell

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Shaded Woods looks like rear end and i don't like the fog area very much

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Two gang bosses!! Two!!
yes belfry is a separate place technically but still

gently caress the jihadi zombies too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Grave of Saints is the easy winner for me. It's two hallways with a trap every couple of feet. :effort: Huge swing of difference between the final product and what was planned, too.

Huntsman's Copse is one that's just extremely...there. If not for the Undead Purgatory and the Skeleton Lords it'd have very little personality. I guess there's that mansion type building? The poison butterflies? :shrug: Though there's that Benny Hill hollow that messes with you too... Maybe I'm wrong about it...

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 28, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Huntsman’s Copse isn’t super exciting visually but it’s got some layout going on at least. Kind of like Harvest Valley but the enemies are a bit more fun.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Bastille, Forest of Giants and Heide nearly put me off the game - ooh, castles with soldiers and/or knights. Not really interesting to explore.

Going to Huntsman's Copse finally made me feel like it was a Souls game, visually.

I really love the way you descend into the earth as you advance through the game. DS3 kinda does it too, but I think DS2 does it better.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I know Black Gulch is just a few rooms but I died so many times there it's still my least favorite DS2 area. Just the absolute worst. I can't say I like Harvest Valley but at least there's stuff there besides being headshotted by poison and NPC invasions.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

John Murdoch posted:

Grave of Saints is the easy winner for me. It's two hallways with a trap every couple of feet. :effort: Huge swing of difference between the final product and what was planned, too.

Huntsman's Copse is one that's just extremely...there. If not for the Undead Purgatory and the Skeleton Lords it'd have very little personality. I guess there's that mansion type building? The poison butterflies? :shrug: Though there's that Benny Hill hollow that messes with you too... Maybe I'm wrong about it...

Huntsmans copse (and just about every other area in the game) had a bunch of personality injected into it with the SOTFS update. It was forgettable in vanilla but SOTFS has a knack for making even the blandest areas memorable

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I would take og Xbox 360 Blighttown at the 12fps it ran at over the dick hammering exercise that was Black Gultch. I don't feel like I ever got better at going through the area more than I just figured out how to do the shortcuts and skip enough of the area to make it bearable, which goes against what I like about areas in this series

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The black gulch is a fantastic practical joke. You spend the entire time in the gutter wandering around in darkness getting smacked with these infuriating poison statues, then you make it to the end! and you can see again! and what you can see is the entire long trail crammed with more poison statues, all the way to the boss door. Then sotfs added two invasions and blocked the second bonfire lmfao

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Honestly, my least favorite areas are probably the noodly connective bits. Not on principle, honestly every game had some dumb poo poo like that, but more because they're less interesting than the noodly connective bits in the other games. Grave of Saints itself is like...okay, but the worst section of it is that bit after you fall off the rope bridge past the Grave of Saints proper but before you reach the Gutter, where you're just climbing down that rat's nest of planks and ladders. Or that big ramp you have to run up as you're going to the Huntsman's Copse.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codo27 posted:

Two gang bosses!! Two!!
yes belfry is a separate place technically but still

gently caress the jihadi zombies too.

Gang bosses are fun

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Shaded Ruins is probably the most boring and ugly place in 2 for me. There are a few other areas that are one or the other, but that's the one that has the highest arbitrary combined total to me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Shaded Ruins is probably the most boring and ugly place in 2 for me. There are a few other areas that are one or the other, but that's the one that has the highest arbitrary combined total to me.

There's interesting things in it, or at least, potentially interesting ideas, like finding the holes to drop down into the cave, fighting a runaway body and the curse vases but you're right - the space all that happens in is really tedious and badly laid out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raylax posted:

the gutter is just such an absolute nothing level that I cannot feel anything towards it, which is the worst sin a level can do

it's like upper blighttown if you took away all the character

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
blighttown is genuinely one of the best zones in any souls game, by the way

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Playing through Dark Souls 2 for the first time and just got through Black Gulch. It's an annoying gotcha area but it's over fast. Was expecting worse from all the reaction in this thread. I had the same thing with Blightown when completing DS:R earlier this year though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Playing through Dark Souls 2 for the first time and just got through Black Gulch. It's an annoying gotcha area but it's over fast. Was expecting worse from all the reaction in this thread. I had the same thing with Blightown when completing DS:R earlier this year though.

I went back last night to harvest titanite chunks from the tentacle monsters in the tar pools. It was cathartic setting fire to the place from a distance with fire arrows.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I don't like Tseldora after Congregation because of the many points of no return. Terrible level to fully explore.

But yeah on the n-th replay all the empty connection zones really start to drag as well. What's up with the actual Heide tower anyway

All of this ignores the co-op DLC areas because yeah the MOST hated area overall, for me, is Iron Passage

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Im having a hard time picking my least favorite SOTFS area because even the one I initially hated the most (Iron Keep) is manageable with the same aggressive advance that makes Amana easy. In vanilla it was easily the gutter though

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay what the gently caress. I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Souls and never parried until I was forced to in Sekiro. Now I'm trying it out, I've gotten good but I cant seem to riposte. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the bandit axe so I figured that couldn't do it, so I switched to the mail breaker I had. Same thing, I cant seem to trigger the crit attack after performing the parry, only regular ones. drat this lost sinner, I dont remember having any difficulty with him before

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

codo27 posted:

Okay what the gently caress. I've played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Souls and never parried until I was forced to in Sekiro. Now I'm trying it out, I've gotten good but I cant seem to riposte. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the bandit axe so I figured that couldn't do it, so I switched to the mail breaker I had. Same thing, I cant seem to trigger the crit attack after performing the parry, only regular ones. drat this lost sinner, I dont remember having any difficulty with him before
You can parry but not riposte some bosses. It's barely worth it for most bosses except for the Pursuer who gets stunned for quite a while.

For normal enemies, you have to wait until they've finished sitting down.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I got past him after, descended into the gutter and now black gulch. This 5 foot long area is probably the one I remember most when thinking about this game. Still kinda bewildered at what a slog I'm finding it

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Black Gulch is short but it really works hard to concentrate the terrible

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS2 makes you run gauntlets from the bonfire to the boss in too many places. You know that you suck when the enemies at the end of an area start going extinct.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
[laughing in flamelurker]

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I just had the grunts on the way to lost sinner disappear on me. Not the drat flexile sentry though

There's just so many needless gently caress you's, like killing a boss not restoring humanity. What gives? I got my adaptability at 30 but chugging still feels like it takes too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There have been playthrus in Iron Keep where I will thoroughly genocide every single mob, run back to the bonfire, and repeat until they stay dead just so I can have unfettered access to Smelter Demon and some breathing room to put my soapstone down.