Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

knox_harrington posted:

Same, got a new dog last year but she is resistant to training so far! Any tips?

Yes, that's a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

knox_harrington posted:

Same, got a new dog last year but she is resistant to training so far! Any tips?

This is the worst hippo I've ever seen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is like the pro-lifer poo poo of pretending they value a fetus as much as a real child but in reality if they were in a burning building and had to choose between a fridge full of embryos and a 5 year old they'll either pick the 5 year old or are a psychopath. Just replace embryo with nematode or something here. Or even chicken. Or pig if they're hungry enough.

knox_harrington posted:

Short easy behavioural steps repeated about 20 times with reward. Use the traditional dog call 'pspspspsps'.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Nope, looks like you've got it figured out :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Short easy behavioural steps repeated about 20 times with reward. Use the traditional dog call 'pspspspsps'.

It is impressive how bad my mother is at this because in attempting to stop the dog from dragging its blanket around, or eating rocks, she has instead managed to teach it that if it eats rocks or drags the blanket around then it gets biscuits, so obviously it does this constantly and she screams at it and then gives it more biscuits to make it drop the things, which I think the dog finds hilarious.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wanna pet that doggo so much

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I accidentally left a catnip ball out last night and we were rudely woken up at 3am by a high-as-gently caress cat racing around the flat batting the ball around like a madman

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

mrpwase posted:

YouGov asked me whether human lives should be valued more highly than animal lives. I thought it was just an off hand question cos I hadn't heard the news, I should have known it was tied to some heinous poo poo.

I always suspect (and feel free to correct me on this) that people who don't have children of their own and more likely to value animal lives over human lives.

They also tend to be ones who demand harsher penalties for animal-cruelty based crimes, even over penalties for human-cruelties based crimes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Apply Dreamies

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Apply Dreamies

It's the most Krusty Brand name imaginable, but Pets at Home's "Semi-moist treat sticks" are somehow even more appealing to cats than Dreamies, to the point where I've sort-of (and mostly accidentally) trained my cat to bring me stuff in order to get one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

They also tend to be ones who demand harsher penalties for animal-cruelty based crimes, even over penalties for human-cruelties based crimes.
They're definitely the ones who see "animal-cruelty based crimes" as "bad man kick dog" and not "every year in the UK approximately 2.6 million cattle, 10 million pigs, 14.5 million sheep and lambs, 80 million fish and 950 million birds are slaughtered for human consumption, often using methods barely more humane than using a brick" (sometimes dependent on whether there's one of those little halal signs involved).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Remember that notorious r/childfree thing where they were talking about how they would rescue their own cat from a burning apartment rather than the neighbour’s baby because they had a personal emotional attachment to the cat and the baby was new so the parents hadn’t had time to get attached to it yet, and how they would always rescue a elderly person before a baby because “a baby hasn’t lived and doesn’t have the same value in knowledge as an old person”

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I doubt there's anything good in r/childfree no matter how you look at it. Anyone who makes that party of their identity likely wants other people to make it part of their identity too even if it's too late

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

This is like the pro-lifer poo poo of pretending they value a fetus as much as a real child but in reality if they were in a burning building and had to choose between a fridge full of embryos and a 5 year old they'll either pick the 5 year old or are a psychopath. Just replace embryo with nematode or something here. Or even chicken. Or pig if they're hungry enough.

I used to share a flat with a vegan. She was always ranting on about 'unborn baby chickens' (commonly known as eggs) while supporting abortion. Hm.
(This is not a comment on whether abortion is good, bad or 'sometimes necessary' for various reasons.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I once had a discussion with a vegan in university who thought keeping bees was slavery

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

I always suspect (and feel free to correct me on this) that people who don't have children of their own and more likely to value animal lives over human lives.

I suppose my positions on children and human/animal relations are related in that I value human life which is why I both will not create it and also give it primacy over animal life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The usual vegan argument against eggs is that the mass market for eggs relies on huge numbers of birds kept in terrible conditions, male chicks being fed into macerators because they're nonproductive, hens selectively bred to lay masses of nonviable eggs, etc. rather than any hypothetical future chickens that stop existing when you fry the egg.

It's possible to get eggs without any of that (e.g. by having pet chickens) but hard to buy eggs without supporting the externalities of that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I once had a discussion with a vegan in university who thought keeping bees was slavery

This seems weirdly common which is bizzare given that as far as I understand it, bees are about as close to a symbiotic relationship as you get in animal keeping, like they can and will gently caress off if they aren't happy living where they are. And I don't know of any animals that adding bees to an area will annoy, except for humans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a reason that the Manchester Workers' movement adopted the honeybee as an emblem. They're busy and industrious but they also regard an injury to one as an injury to all and it's best not to piss them off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There's a reason that the Manchester Workers' movement adopted the honeybee as an emblem. They're busy and industrious but they also regard an injury to one as an injury to all and it's best not to piss them off.

Also they make the old bees do all the most dangerous work because they're worth less to the colony, a lesson humanity should be looking at carefully.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember I think it was a twitter thread by someone who was apparently convinced that to get the honey out they run a big knife along it to decapitate all the bees and then stuff it into a giant blender and then centrifuge out the pureed bees at the end.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

QI (I think) said that commercial farms in some places for stuff like avocados or cherries don't have a good local insect population and have to bus in mobile hives on a temporary basis to pollinate everything, which counts as unnatural use of animals or exploitation or something which is why some people consider those foods not vegan

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I remember I think it was a twitter thread by someone who was apparently convinced that to get the honey out they run a big knife along it to decapitate all the bees and then stuff it into a giant blender and then centrifuge out the pureed bees at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbfiJHW-LP4

I assume they watched this and got a bit confused about the details, because there is a big knife and a centrifuge involved.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Billions of bees get shipped around America every year, it's quite incredible really

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody tell musk about it or we'll have loving vaccum tubes full of dead bees crisscrossing the country.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/JackDunc1/status/1431892459135635462

Unite with Europe, you say? Perhaps in some kind of...Union?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Parathas are breakfast foods and like all good breakfast foods, not very good for you. I recommend them too, especially the radish and potato filled versions if you're vegetarian, but watch out for the insane amount of butter, ghee, oil, etc if you're bothered by that.
Which one pairs well with breakfast whiskey?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The Pen Farthing outrage is deliberately being stoked to hide the fact that the British Government had two months to plan the evacuation but instead the Foreign Sec planned a holiday and left the evacuation until the last moment; ignored 5000 emails from people asking for help; gave out the phone number of a washing machine repair company instead of the Foreign Office helpline; left the names and addresses of Afghans who'd worked for the British Army in the Embassy where the Taliban could find them; let planes leave with empty seats; and then stopped the evacuation 48 hours early.

Every single one of the rescue's staff, and their families, had approval to come to Britain. The Government chose to argue over this because now they can scapegoat someone for 'diverting resources' and 'wasting time', when in reality it was their own incompetence. It would have 'wasted' less time if the charter flight had been allowed to depart as scheduled instead of creating a massive row. Call me cynical, but I think they deliberately blocked the 250 Afghans from getting on that private charter whilst accepting the animals because they knew this is the result that would make people angriest. And it has! The Government has chosen to throw those 250 people under the bus to salvage a tiny bit of their reputation.

And the claims about disease smacks of desperation, as if qualified veterinary staff are incapable of understanding Rabies Bad. All the animal rescues trying to evacuate the animals (yes, rescues plural) euthanised any sick animals before attempting to depart. It's another dead cat in an pile of deceased felines.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 29, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which one pairs well with breakfast whiskey?

Probably meat filled parathas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yvonmukluk posted:

https://twitter.com/JackDunc1/status/1431892459135635462

Unite with Europe, you say? Perhaps in some kind of...Union?
Mail on Sunday has always been FBPE. it's part of the theatre.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bees are definitely exploited in commercial honey production, the poor fuckers work all summer and then the product of their labour is taken and replaced with inferior sugar water to keep a bare minimum of them alive through the winter.

Slightly better is the practice of only taking the "excess" honey that remains in the hive by springtime.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I feel like there was a movie about this

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Azza Bamboo posted:

...Antz?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Where is animalslaves.png when I need it

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbfiJHW-LP4

I assume they watched this and got a bit confused about the details, because there is a big knife and a centrifuge involved.

I remember when Discovery started a stream on Youtube and it was just this video on loop

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sebzilla posted:

Bees are definitely exploited in commercial honey production, the poor fuckers work all summer and then the product of their labour is taken and replaced with inferior sugar water to keep a bare minimum of them alive through the winter.

Slightly better is the practice of only taking the "excess" honey that remains in the hive by springtime.

And there's a bunch of weird poo poo around clipping queen's wings to stop her flying off to start a new colony etc. It's definitely not "we just take the excess honey that bees don't need or want, we're doing them a favour really!" as it's portrayed, but it's nowhere near as awful as basically every meat/dairy production bullshit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Azza Bamboo posted:

More than Honey

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
Michael Gove has decided to show everyone how he is an expert in big fish and little fish in a video of him out on the lash on his own in an Aberdonian nightclub https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/michael-gove-raves-aberdeen-club-24862871

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big fash little fash landlord cops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He is related to fish so I would expect him to be knowledgeable.