Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

loving EYE CRYSTALS

This is my omega pet peeve

EYE CRYSTALS

Get out of bed, my eyes feel like a loving pit quarry. I have to take a faceful of showerhead before I can even focus on my disappointing morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

it's 2021 how haven't we invented WYSIWYG networking yet?
I want to drag a line between two circles, maybe add some symbols, and have it create me a rule about what traffic can go between two subnets
not write an iptables rule which are for the absolutely deranged

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

loving EYE CRYSTALS

This is my omega pet peeve

EYE CRYSTALS

Get out of bed, my eyes feel like a loving pit quarry. I have to take a faceful of showerhead before I can even focus on my disappointing morning
Crusty eyes are my least favorite body thing. Ugh. If you haven't already, try moisturizing eye drops before you go to bed. I have chronic dry eyes and allergies and I have the same problem with sandy eyes. The drops should help. If those don't help enough, try a little bit of coconut oil mixed with natural aloe around your eyes as well. I swipe some on then rinse my face and let it air dry so my eyes don't feel gooey. Just remember to wash your face in the morning or you'll feel icky for a different reason. So greasy.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Killingyouguy! posted:

it's 2021 how haven't we invented WYSIWYG networking yet?
I want to drag a line between two circles, maybe add some symbols, and have it create me a rule about what traffic can go between two subnets
not write an iptables rule which are for the absolutely deranged

Uh, if we do that, the network consultants (from the switch company) wouldn't be needed to get a loving vlan working, and we can't have that can we?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Parasol Prophet posted:

That's understandable-- I probably just have a bias against the military and get the feeling that they're trying to prove something (either that they were in the military, or that they went out of their way to learn it).

It can also be frustrating too, though, if people don't phrase it like you do-- sometimes they'll just launch into "My email is Mike, Alpha, Tango..." which makes me automatically start typing 'mikealphatango' before realizing what they're doing.

I associate the NATO phonetic alphabet with aviation in general way more than the military, and I've been required to use it at completely non-government jobs. I definitely see how it could makes things way worse if someone is bad at it, though.

Edit: it's also a thing in amateur radio.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Aug 28, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just memorized the nato letters for my family name bc people consistently get it wrong when i have to spell it over the phone

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It reminds me of another peeve: passwords being displayed hidden when you enter them. Like car alarms that poo poo is just theatre. Accounts aren't compromised by the hacker looming over your shoulder reading as you type the password in.

Not everybody is as confident about that: shoulder surfing

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Brawnfire posted:

I did play with that for myself for a while (because of Stargate) but it became its own conversation, like "zed? wtf?"

Edit: Oh, also the next letter is E so it became ZEDDY

Edit 2: Which, now that I'm looking at it, is sort of a cool nickname. Call me Zeddy.

Zeddy was a teddy.

It's still a neat nickname.

aardwolf posted:

Not everybody is as confident about that: shoulder surfing

EAH is a bit young to remember internet cafe's I guess, and that prior to that home computers were shared and it was pretty common for someone to have friends crowded real close.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There are a bunch of dumb antivax stickers in my neighbourhood. If my printer worked and/or I had a sticker machine I'd make rebuttal stickers that started with "Well first of all dumbass..." and put them wherever I found them.
It's appropriate that they are on bins, because their opinions are trash.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot of the apartment noise I had when I lived in Brooklyn was the guy under my fire escape chanting racial slurs and conspiracy theories that heavily involved Timothy mcveigh. Also car alarms. And honking, can’t forget the honking. I’d much rather have weedwhackers and leafblowers over that.

when i lived in my old apartment there was a very big black man who'd walk by on the same day at the same time every week like clockwork shouting about how all white women were whores and should suck his dick and how the netherlands should be burned to the ground and stuff like that, it was always on a saturday when it was quiet so i'd hear him coming from far away shouting, hear him pass under my window and walk away in the distance like an ambulance

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The neighbourhood weirdo is part of the appeal of the city. Now that guy is a bit more hostile and misogynist than I would like but you take what you can get.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.
At least he was wearing pants and shoes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

korean restaurants that have a soul/seoul pun in their name

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

when i lived in my old apartment there was a very big black man who'd walk by on the same day at the same time every week like clockwork shouting about how all white women were whores and should suck his dick and how the netherlands should be burned to the ground and stuff like that, it was always on a saturday when it was quiet so i'd hear him coming from far away shouting, hear him pass under my window and walk away in the distance like an ambulance

We had that guy but he was a skinny Black man in nice business attire, strolling down the street about OPEC and Saudia Arabia and stuff, mostly things that would be kind of true if he weren't screaming them as he walked.

Once I saw him repeatedly throwing an umbrella and kicking it and just getting very angry at it.

He also came into my work one time and gave a co-worker of mine a note with a bunch of weird lines from the Bible.

Anyhow, I hope he's doing okay, he seemed pretty put-together except for the yelling so I assumed he just slipped sometimes.

Also, 85% humidity is apparently the humidity to set my smoke alarm off at 1, 1:15, and finally 1:30 am when I angrily disabled it. I got to hang out with a terrified baby though, that makes up for not sleeping!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brawnfire posted:

mostly things that would be kind of true if he weren't screaming them as he walked.

Screamed so loud he altered reality, making false what had been true?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This hero is the reason women in Saudi can drive now

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Also, 85% humidity is apparently the humidity to set my smoke alarm off at 1, 1:15, and finally 1:30 am when I angrily disabled it. I got to hang out with a terrified baby though, that makes up for not sleeping!
Humidity like that can set off your fire alarm? If mine was that sensitive it would never stop going off out here in the jungle. drat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Screamed so loud he altered reality, making false what had been true?

The medium is the message.

But I mean like, I could support a universal minimum wage but if I do it while screaming outside a cafe, reasonably it comes off as more unhinged than as a political action plan

And yeah apparently the smoke detector brand I have is sensitive to the 85 and up humidity level, which we rarely get to here

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shibawanko posted:

korean restaurants that have a soul/seoul pun in their name
I've seen two "Pho King" restaurants. One was in Vegas, don't remember where the other one was.

I'll never fault restaurants catering to simple people to get the numbers up. Especially when it's good food and a decent pun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

Humidity like that can set off your fire alarm? If mine was that sensitive it would never stop going off out here in the jungle. drat.

Yes. Usually it’ll hit in the middle of the night when the temperature starts going down and the sensor gets fogged.

I worked at a building that was 85+ humidity and the fire alarm went off four times in 36 hours once.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Well that would be infuriating. Wouldn't it go off any time you took a hot shower? I'm all for fire safety but that seems pretty well past a good sensitivity range. You'll be disconnecting it or ignoring it pretty immediately.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fizzymercury posted:

Well that would be infuriating. Wouldn't it go off any time you took a hot shower? I'm all for fire safety but that seems pretty well past a good sensitivity range. You'll be disconnecting it or ignoring it pretty immediately.

Depends on the location but yeah, that is completely possible, there was a sensor in my dorm freshman year of college that would go off from showers. Depends on the type of sensor in your detectors, too, it’s more common on larger/commercial buildings.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thankfully the airflow in our house usually prevents it, but last night nothing was moving at all and it felt wet just standing there.

Which is a MASSIVE pet peeve of mine; when it's humid enough that cloth feels moist. Especially bedsheets. Nights like that I want to sleep on a slab of cold stone

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The neighbourhood weirdo is part of the appeal of the city. Now that guy is a bit more hostile and misogynist than I would like but you take what you can get.

Also at noon I can see it as part of the appeal of the city, at 2am it’s just loving awful. I was always, always tired when I lived in Brooklyn.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tiggum posted:

It's not showing off; it's very easy to remember. And it's very useful if you're spelling out something that needs to be exact, like an email address - especially if it's over a bad phone line or in a noisy environment.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Most of the people who call my work seem to do so on the worlds shittiest Bluetooth connection while driving with their windows down through a static filled tunnel so using the nato alphabet or some variant of it helps a lot

Actually I just really hate talking on the phone whether the connection is good or not, it’s a lot harder than talking to people face to face for me :(

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bluetooth in general is poo poo and it's astounding that it has somehow become the standard for wireless connection.

Not that wireless isn't always inherently worse than wired but it doesn't need to be quite as bad as Bluetooth.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Text on roads and bike paths written bottom to top.

200m from visible must be lights? Do most people actually read this as intended? Am I the only one who reads it top-to-bottom like every other text?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've never seen that but if I saw that while biking I'd probably think I was having a stroke and pull over.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Tiggum posted:

200m from visible must be lights? Do most people actually read this as intended? Am I the only one who reads it top-to-bottom like every other text?

Yeah that's insane, wtf?

My pet peeve cos I heard it today : radio DJs who think it's funny to interrupt the songs they're playing to sing deliberately poorly over the top of them.

Oh, oh and another one. Any reference to 'Mama Nature', especially in advertising. We're in the loving UK, no one says 'mama'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

Yeah that's an awful example. It's written to be read by someone almost on top of it looking straight down so there's no need to do anything unusual.

Something like this makes more sense because you can't easily read both lines at once

But it's still got a bunch of problems.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine this:

You are a pedestrian standing at an intersection between two roads, and there are stoplights at each corner. You want to cross the street, and the stoplight in your intended direction is green. You stand at the corner and wait as the light turns yellow, then red. That's when you step into the road to cross the street.

What is wrong with you, and how is it contagious?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dust, dusting

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cross the road whenever you want to assert dominance over the carbound assholes.

Never look before crossing. If you die you gently caress up their car and give them PTSD making your sacrifice worth it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I play a pretty good casual solitaire app that gives you a new challenge deal every day. When you win, it tells you how you rate against the best players in the categories of score, time, and moves. There have been so many times that I've finished in the least number of moves, but several dozens of seconds slower than the fastest player. Like this poo poo, which is an old screenshot but one of the most egregious examples:

How could anyone be that goddamn fast? Are bots playing this game, and why on earth would anyone bother? You can't get actual money out of it or anything. Just to gently caress with normies? :smith:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's either a bot or someone like my lunatic husband that does solitare speedruns and posts on a forum specifically devoted to them. I really hope it's a bot.

e: I asked why he does them once and he just shrugged and said "same reason anyone does them".

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Sep 5, 2021

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I used to care about the duolingo leaderboards then I realized the boards (which i think were global at the time, not tied to your target language) were being dominated by people speedrunning 'English for Spanish Speakers', 'English for Portuguese Speakers', 'English for French Speakers' etc to inflate their points.
Like... is that fun? Is it fun for you to cheat at duolingo?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hirayuki posted:

I play a pretty good casual solitaire app that gives you a new challenge deal every day. When you win, it tells you how you rate against the best players in the categories of score, time, and moves. There have been so many times that I've finished in the least number of moves, but several dozens of seconds slower than the fastest player. Like this poo poo, which is an old screenshot but one of the most egregious examples:

How could anyone be that goddamn fast? Are bots playing this game, and why on earth would anyone bother? You can't get actual money out of it or anything. Just to gently caress with normies? :smith:

Do a practice run on one account and real run knowing all the moves on another?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Duolingo was cool at first but the way they do it kind of ruined the concept of learning languages for me. The constant reminders to do your lesson today so you don't lose a streak etc just wore me down. I made it to like 250 days in a row and missed one day (after using up all my freezes) and haven't touched it in like 4 months. Plus there's the fact that it feels like the equivalent of memorizing a phrasebook than learning the language. I know how to say a lot of things in Norwegian now but I wouldn't be able to make it two sentences into a casual conversation with a native speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My favourite duolingo thing, is when it's like 'pick the word for 'three'!' but then the box to tap has a '3' on it and a tiiiiiiiny little '三' underneath
thanks

but yeah i can't really converse about anything useful but i sure can ask for Dr. Li's phone number for his beijing office, i guess

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Sep 5, 2021